/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Hijab with pic on Facebook allowed?

AnonymousPoster
10-03-2009, 09:58 PM
:sl:
My sister has uploaded pictures on the internet of herself with a hijaab on. Some of the pictures she has make up on. But generally in all pictures she looks attractive.
Non mahrams (male and female) can view her pictures.
I told her i doubt very much this is permitted in islam. She requested evidence and so i presented surah Noor 30-31. this evidence still wasnt enough.
She claims to use these images as dawah for the sisters. Her intentions are good.
I know that men use facebook a lot of the time with bad intentions which is why im critical of her method.
Am i wrong?
If im right can some one provide me with some concrete evidence? preferably Quran and/or Hadith.

jazakallah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
10-16-2009, 05:51 PM
just another way to go down the wrong path, it is full of fitna - end of

Sampharo
10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
If a woman does not wear a face veil then she is showing her face all the time in public and it is no different on facebook. There is no strict cut-and-paste ruling against personal photographs, even sheikhs of Saudi Arabia have their photos taken and published and they say it is a tool for dawah.

Unless you can convince her of the opinion that Niqab is obligatory, I don't know if you'll ever find concrete evidence to convince her. But yes, if she is an attractive woman and her profile is set on public viewing, then it can bring corruption, and it is a principal of fiqh that pushing away corruption has priority over achieving benefit. Therefore if that profile can be a window of corruption and some men can abuse it, the benefits made with dawah are invalid to override that.

And God as always knows best

noorahmad
10-16-2009, 06:17 PM
its way haraam, most of her friends are non mahram and can view her pics

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
10-16-2009, 06:29 PM
tell her to get off facebook and seek giving dawah elsewhere - the fitnah is too heavy

i wouldnt go seeking a gem in the trash

Assalamu Alaikum

Rasema
10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
This fatwa is about a different subject but you can collect a lot of evidence from it.

(c) Allaah has forbidden showing all adornment except that which is apparent, which is that which one cannot help showing, such as the outside of one's garment. Hence Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “…except only that which is apparent …” and He did not say, except that which they show of it. Some of the salaf, such as Ibn Mas’ood, al-Hasan, Ibn Sireen and others interpreted the phrase “except only that which is apparent” as meaning the outer garment and clothes, and what shows from beneath the outer garment (i.e., the hem of one’s dress etc.). Then He again forbids showing one’s adornment except to those for whom He makes an exception. This indicates that the second adornment mentioned is something other than the first adornment. The first adornment is the external adornment which appears to everyone and cannot be hidden. The second adornment is the inward adornment (including the face). If it were permissible for this adornment to be seen by everyone, there would be no point to the general wording in the first instance and this exception made in the second.

(d) Allaah grants a concession allowing a woman to show her inward adornments to “old male servants who lack vigour”, i.e. servants who are men who have no desire, and to small children who have not reached the age of desire and have not seen the ‘awrahs of women. This indicates two things:

1 – That showing inward adornments to non-mahrams is not permissible except to these two types of people.

2 – That the reason for this ruling is the fear that men may be tempted by the woman and fall in love with her. Undoubtedly the face is the site of beauty and attraction, so concealing it is obligatory lest men who do feel desire be attracted and tempted by her.

(e) The words (interpretation of the meaning): “And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment” mean that a woman should not stamp her feet so as to make known hidden adornments such as anklets and the like. If a woman is forbidden to stamp her feet lest men be tempted by what they hear of the sound of her anklets etc., then what about uncovering the face?

Which is the greater source of temptation – a man hearing the anklets of a woman whom he does not know who she is or whether she is beautiful, or whether she is young or old, or ugly or pretty? Or his looking at a beautiful youthful face that attracts him and invites him to look at it?

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/11774

This one is a reminder to all of us:The issue under discussion here also comes under this category. Conversation whether verbally or in writing between men and women is permissible in and of itself, but it may be a way of falling into the traps of the Shaytaan.

Whoever knows that he is somewhat weak, and is afraid that he may fall into the traps of the Shaytaan, has to refrain from such conversations, in order to save himself.

Whoever is sure that he will be able to remain steadfast, then we think that it is permissible in his case, but there are certain conditions: The issue under discussion here also comes under this category. Conversation whether verbally or in writing between men and women is permissible in and of itself, but it may be a way of falling into the traps of the Shaytaan.

Whoever knows that he is somewhat weak, and is afraid that he may fall into the traps of the Shaytaan, has to refrain from such conversations, in order to save himself.

Whoever is sure that he will be able to remain steadfast, then we think that it is permissible in his case, but there are certain conditions: The conversation should not be allowed to wander too far from the topic being discussed; or it should be for the purposes of calling others to Islam.

They should not let their voices be soft, or use soft and gentle expressions.

They should not ask about personal matters that have no bearing on the matter being discussed, such as how old a person is, how tall he or she is, or where he or she lives etc.

Other brothers (in the case of men) or sisters (in the case of women) should take part in the conversation or read the correspondence, so that the Shaytaan will find no way to enter the hearts of the people who are conversing or corresponding.
The conversation or correspondence must be halted immediately if the heart starts to stir with feelings of desire.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/6453

:wa:

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/6453

Rasema
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
If a woman does not wear a face veil then she is showing her face all the time in public and it is no different on facebook. There is no strict cut-and-paste ruling against personal photographs, even sheikhs of Saudi Arabia have their photos taken and published and they say it is a tool for dawah.
Wearing hijab does not permitt you to seek attention. Putting attractive photos of your self on the internet are means of getting attention. I love Arabs for many reasons "The best of people/mankind is my generation, then those that follow them, then those that follow them" But this one just doesn't cut it. Means of dawah,please. This reminded me of that person on sunni forum saying that you can pass dawah with love to woman.

I don't know if you'll ever find concrete evidence to convince her.
There is no concrete evidence for many serious things in Islam. Your face is awrah, because it attracs attention.

This isn't just about men. This is about us. She,herself, should stay away from any temptation. Smiling at men is also forbidden. And, a woman should not unvail her hair in front of woman, because who ever saw it might describe it to non-mahram men. There is a hadeeth that prohibits a woman to describe another woman to a man. There is a hadeeth that prohibits the filling of the teeth and to ...(http://www.sunnipath.com/library/Had...4P0296.aspx)If so, then how would you display yourself with a bunch of make up on. Even make up is prohibited.

I know that you are someone more knowledgeable than I am, but I agree with many of the Salaf's views.

Proud of Islam
10-16-2009, 06:48 PM

The only intention for putting make up is to look more beautiful than the natural face, and this is not allowed in front of Non mahrams.. She can put it only in places where no non mahram man is there..
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
Non mahrams (male and female) can view her pictures.
Just a comment:
Non mahrams for us are only men.. no problem with the females!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Longing for the Paradise (Al-Jannah) where the endless happiness…

Rasema
10-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Just a comment:
Non mahrams for us are only men.. no problem with the females!
My respected sister, you are correct. However, we cannot take kuffi woman as friends. And, you must know that that woman will not describe you to a men before uncovering in front of her.

331. Chapter: On the prohibition against describing a woman's beauty to a man when there is no legitimate need for that, for instance, like seeking marriage with her, etc.

1742. Ibn Mas'ud reported that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "A woman should not embrace another woman and then describe her to her husband so as to give him an exact picture of her." [Agreed upon]

The only intention for putting make up is to look more beautiful than the natural face, and this is not allowed in front of Non mahrams.. She can put it only in places where no non mahram man is there..
I'm not sure about this one. You're changing the creation of God.

(( لعن الله الواشمات و المستوشمات و المتنمصات و المتفلجات للحسن المغيرات خلق الله ))

The hadith is narrated by Ibn Masood: "God's ****ation is on the tattoo maker and tattoo accepter, the eyebrow removers, and the splitters of teeth for beauty purpose, who change the creation of God."

Proud of Islam
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM
^ Jazaki Allah Khair for the clarification about females sis :sunny:

But I didn't get what you mean about the make up.. It's not
، نمص ، وشـم
which are in the Hadith..

If you mean it's not allowed in front of non mahram men, then that's right..
But if you mean that it's not allowed at all, it's the first time I hear this! When I have time, I'll come back with scholars' Fatwa(s) insha'Allah

Rasema
10-16-2009, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Proud of Islam
^ Jazaki Allah Khair for the clarification sis :sunny:

Thank you for your reaction. :statisfie
Sister Rasema loves ya.

Ansariyah
10-16-2009, 08:40 PM
People steal peoples pics, I even heard stories of women stealing pics posting them on marriage sites claiming its them!

Tell her this story pls..

Rasema
10-16-2009, 08:44 PM
If you mean it's not allowed in front of non mahram men, then that's right..
But if you mean that it's not allowed at all, it's the first time I hear this! When I have time, I'll come back with scholars' Fatwa(s) insha'Allah
You said that it is permitted to put makeup on when you're alone. I said that I'm not sure if that is correct because you're changing God's creation. You have all kind of makeup thesedays. It would change your face even though you wash it, or who knows. Thus, you're following the example of the kuffi woman which is clearly not permitted.
The hadith is narrated by Ibn Masood: "God's ****ation is on the tattoo maker and tattoo accepter, the eyebrow removers, and the splitters of teeth for beauty purpose, who change the creation of God."

Alpha Dude
10-16-2009, 08:47 PM
:sl: Sister, makeup does not change creation..

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22411/makeup

Rasema
10-16-2009, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alpha Dude
:sl: Sister, makeup does not change creation..

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22411/makeup
Except the stuff mentioned in the hadeeth. Pluging eyebrows etc..

alcurad
10-16-2009, 09:09 PM
^notice the difference in ruling between removing it arbitrarily and removing some part of it that grows unnaturally and so on.

also, another opinion-by Ibn al Jawzi?-though not so widespread says that the hadeeth forbidding it wasn't forbidding it for itself, but because it was a known habit of 'immoral' women and so on. also, some scholars have reportedly said it is generally makrooh not haram:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1122528616476
http://www.alriyadh.com/2009/06/13/article437325.html
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57680
-more detailed-

this is off-topic though..

Rasema
10-16-2009, 09:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by alcurad
^notice the difference in ruling between removing it arbitrarily and removing some part of it that grows unnaturally and so on.

also, another opinion though not so widespread says that the hadeeth forbidding it wasn't forbidding it for itself, but because it was a known habit of 'immoral' women, so the ruling nowadays is different than before. also, some scholars have reportedly said it is generally makrooh not haram:

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1122528616476
http://www.ahlalhdeeth.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57680
-more detailed-

this is off-topic though..
1. I do not speak or read Arabic.
notice the difference in ruling between removing it arbitrarily and removing some part of it that grows unnaturally and so on.
Is this something the scholars implied? Based on what evidence? What grows unnaturally for God's sake?
3."Today is different than before" What does that have to do with making yourself prettier?

cat eyes
10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
if she was on a marriage site looking for a husband then i believe it would be halaal as some scholars say because the man has a right to look at the woman whom he wants to marry but facebook is full with bad boys only looking for his catch

IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2009, 05:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
if she was on a marriage site looking for a husband then i believe it would be halaal as some scholars say because the man has a right to look at the woman whom he wants to marry but facebook is full with bad boys only looking for his catch
please tell me who these scholars are

and do they have any idea what facebook/marriage sites are and what kind of people go on them? you see sis, many scholars are very innocent, they may not be aware..

every alim i know who i clearly explain to what facebook is would disagree STRONGLY and of this i have no doubt as it lacks any if not all hayaa' !

Assalamu Alaikum

LailahAlSherrif
11-04-2009, 08:04 AM
it's only harram if her intentions are harram. Being pretty doesn't mean you should hide your face any more than an unattractive girl. But if her facebook profile is public, then I'd question her on her intentions. I have a facebook and there are pictures of me, but only my friends can see me. I've covered in my default picture so technically an unknown person could see ONLY that picture and NO information about me, (IF they searched my name).. but since my intention isn't to meet strangers, this doesn't and caan't effect me in anyway. :)

facebook is great for keeping in communication with family. I have family in america, saudi arabia, egypt, canada, austrila... get my point? Sometimes family likes to see pictures, nothing wrong with that!

Muslim Woman
11-04-2009, 08:14 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
My sister has uploaded pictures on the internet of herself

I think , it's not safe for any sis to post photo on the net. Anyone can download it , misuse the photo.

So , for safety reason , tell her to limited it to sisters only ...better if she does not post at all .

cat eyes
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
please tell me who these scholars are

and do they have any idea what facebook/marriage sites are and what kind of people go on them? you see sis, many scholars are very innocent, they may not be aware..

every alim i know who i clearly explain to what facebook is would disagree STRONGLY and of this i have no doubt as it lacks any if not all hayaa' !

Assalamu Alaikum
ud be surprized maybe the scholars are on facebook themselves and then when you ask them about it they look all unsure :><: lol nah im only joking yeah you are right bro they don't know what its all about. the scholars that do know object it totally. i would not upload my picture for unknown men to lust over me:raging: but i never heard of that thing where you can hide your pic from others and show it to your friends because according to my non muslim friends i worked others can find you by typing a random name so its very easy for others to find however i have nothing against sisters who use it to talk with family and long distance friends and don't use it for lewd behaviour:)

zircon
11-04-2009, 02:17 PM

She claims to use these images as dawah for the sisters. Her intentions are good.
if it's okay for me to ask, mind telling what's the relation between pictures of one's self with da'wah to the sisters?:?

Esther462
11-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I think its alright for women to wear hijab in facebook pics. I wear hijab in my facebook pic. It's good for muslim but not for none muslims, their friends might get the wrong idea.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.