/* */

PDA

View Full Version : LI Recap

Sampharo
10-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Assalamu Alaikom brothers and sisters,

I didn't think much about this, but it occured to me that if we recollect from memory the main threads we had on LI over the last ten days that were lost in the server reset, we might be able to reconnect with the momentum of things. Here is what I have in no particular order, and please forgive the "personal" descriptions :statisfie ; I am working off memory that is mixed with what I thought of them and so they are coming out as they are registered. :D

1- World Affairs: Big thread on the mega blunder of the Imam of Azhar thanks to his FAAAAUUUUX pas on Niqab, ordering a girl in class to take it off and telling her it's got nothing to do with Islam. Adding insult to injury after bullying her into taking off her face veil, to the dropping jaws of the civilized World, making a comment that she's not good looking (so what's the need for the veil?). LI lit up with objections and expressions of shock, followed by an update that he actually went through with his earlier threat and got face veils banned from women colleges and dorms in Azhar.

2- There was also the sad news of the earthquake in Indonesia, but then that was overshadowed by the news conference and announcement by what appears to be a bunch of clowns there who wanted to "invade" Malaysia with nun-chaks, pointed bamboo shoots and other dangerous plants, in retaliation to what they consider to be Malaysian degradation of Indonesian culture. Ardianto pointed out that they were literally... clowns... in that it is a job there to be a political clown - get paid to protest and demonstrate to whomever paid -. The date came and went and Malaysia surprisingly has not been over run by the 1200 members of the invading army.

3- Some suggestion about Saudi losing its oil and it might seek aid from other countries, segwayed into a post that suggested OP thinks wahhabism is an existing sect that is trying to get rid of technology! One response post was still too many, but anyway an argument actually insued for and against Saudi regime.

4- Speaking of which there was the news of Sheikh Shi.thry being asked to resign by King of Saudi for his comments about the new university that suggested the King does not know what is going on in it. Sheikh Shi.thry was actually diplomatically was trying to address the co-ed situation and say that it is indeed unislamic. Thread went from very supportive posts towards the Sheikh while not bashing the King, into a discussion of what is permissible and not permissible to say against the rulers, and started going political.

5- Clarification on Islam experienced a couple of "ANSWER ME NOW!!" snapped questions about fasting in Finland I think and some other peculiarly singled out verse in the Quran taken out of context (as is usual with fellow athiests). LI members were getting tired with the obnoxious attitude and made their opinions heard, especially that the question itself didn't seem to be having a point, yet again. The question was addressed with several answers and the poster was satisfied with the one stating that people living above 64 degrees latitude (approaching the arctic circle) should follow cities below the 64 degrees line in the same time zone.

6- There was another "critique of Islam" post by a newbie where they decided to open up an attack on Aisha's marriage and her age. Usual quotes from Islam-bashers wikiislam, ignorantly quoting unauthentic hadiths and all the jazz of falling hair and what not. Addressed with corrections regarding the normality of the marriage (normal age of european royalty marriage at the time around 10, Genghis Khan married at 8) and the unauthentic hadiths.

7- In General section, there were quite a number of posts, there was an unexpected detour on the one I published that was regarding evidence of humans being above 14 feet tall, in that one mixed up the hadith and insisted (for the third or fourth time in less than a couple of weeks) that an authenticated hadith that is Mottafaqun Alaih is weak and the scholars don't know what they are doing [eyeroll!] The usual responses from athiest members about the ludicrous nature of the claim and that it is impossible for humans to be that tall and survive (yet somehow normal for reptiles to be taller and thrive, yet after millions of years the biggest reptile on Earth is three meters long and can do nothing but crawl). Discussion of minimization as proven and observed in all living things was used to counter. Hadith issue was just repetitive (it's weak, it's not, it's weak, it's not ....)

8- There was a short one about Madhab and where they come from. Addressed by a couple of people however quickly showed it might open an argumentative door on whether following a madhab strictly is good or frowned upon. That reflected on another post which seemed to be awakened from the dead, discussing kissing the thumb and wiping the eyebrow and whether that is a bidaa or not.

Of course there were tonnes more, but I seem to remember a distinctive thread where Abdullahii titled it by bashing himself, and I still don't know why?!!? :hmm:

Anybody else remember more? :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Danah
10-16-2009, 06:39 PM
On comparative religions section, there was a thread for a debate between brother MustafaMC and Grace Seeker where the second invited the first to discuss in public.

transition?
10-16-2009, 06:43 PM
1- a bit of sidetracking. Br. Sampharo, can you please link the original article source for that thread, if you know it. I posted an article on it from BBC, but it did not mention Al Azhar University. Mod. Uthman merged the threads, I assume (although I could truly tell since the forum was down).

Cabdullahi
10-16-2009, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
On comparative religions section, there was a thread for a debate between brother MustafaMC and Grace Seeker where the second invited the first to discuss in public.
Thats RIGHT!

The championship finals between The bible thumper and The islamist

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sampharo
10-16-2009, 07:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
1- a bit of sidetracking. Br. Sampharo, can you please link the original article source for that thread, if you know it. I posted an article on it from BBC, but it did not mention Al Azhar University. Mod. Uthman merged the threads, I assume (although I could truly tell since the forum was down).
I am not sure which one because I was not the OP. But I think it is this one. Also there is an interesting article still on the BBC here. I think this thread should be revisited. Can we ask a moderator (or perhaps the Opening Poster) if they can republish it on World Affairs? This issue is far from done.

Also, hopefully some of the Advice section posters would repost their questions too, especially if they did not receive all the answers they were looking for.

Eliphaz
10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
There was a rather epic one about a book featuring gay penguins that went on for about 20 pages. Also: funny things non-Muslims say. I must admit I didn't even know about half the threads you have mentioned Sampharo! :embarrass (Just so everyone knows I'm spamming until I get my 50 posts back)

جوري
10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I wish someone had saved Br. Mustafa's posts, they were very concise and I'd hate to think they were lost in that 'crash', his posts were potent bug spray to some of our more persistent varmints...

:w:

Danah
10-16-2009, 08:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I wish someone had saved Br. Mustafa's posts, they were very concise and I'd hate to think they were lost in that 'crash', his posts were potent bug spray to some of our more persistent varmints...

:w:
Oh plz dont remind me of that....I wish I did!

I think I will start making my own database of threads in my computer now

Ansariyah
10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
There was a rather epic one about a book featuring gay penguins that went on for about 20 pages. Also: funny things non-Muslims say. I must admit I didn't even know about half the threads you have mentioned Sampharo! :embarrass (Just so everyone knows I'm spamming until I get my 50 posts back)
I started that thread! Now its gone!

OP, do u mean we shud re-start them threads? again?

Danah
10-16-2009, 09:48 PM
I remember there was a thread but don't remember the title about having a team of mentors for the new reverts to help them gain more knowledge in Islam.
The thread is old but it was bumped recently by Uncle Woodrow, Do anyone know what was the title for that thread so we can bump it again?

I think we should give some more attention for such project.

Beardo
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
You guys can consider restarting these threads if you wish.

Sampharo
10-17-2009, 04:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I started that thread! Now its gone!

OP, do u mean we shud re-start them threads? again?
Yes, republish the post with the title and questions or comments that you started with, and the discussion will continue. It is sad that we lost many posts, and many will be feeling it's too redundant to republish precise explanations or queries (especially the arguments, most people will not republish their angles or responses, certainly not the silly ones. Some were really fun ;D), but by restarting the subject from the same OP (who would know what they started with), I think we can regain momentum on them.

I also remembered one that was JUST gaining momentum, it was about the holocaust again and whether muslims as a whole deny it or not. While some muslims said they don't deny it and it's wrong to group, it was amazing for me to see western non-muslims completely convinced that it is morally wrong to deny or ignore or be neutral about it! That one has to be restarted I didn't get to comprehend where this angle was coming from.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.