10-17-2009, 10:29 AM
:sl:

MAKKAH

:w:

Woodrow
10-17-2009, 10:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sirajstc
its called makkah or mecca :embarrass
Makkah is closer to the actual pronunciation and the word mecca has become an Anglicized word meaning any thing that attracts a large number of people.

Muslim Woman
10-17-2009, 11:02 AM

its called makkah or mecca :embarrass
While visiting Saudi Arabia , I saw 3 different spellings . Macca , Makkah and .....forgot :( ( mecca ?? may be )

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sampharo
10-17-2009, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Makkah is closer to the actual pronunciation and the word mecca has become an Anglicized word meaning any thing that attracts a large number of people.
True, to the extent that it's being used rudely now to refer to even frivalous places "Macau is quickly becoming a mecca for gamblers and those looking for a good time..." :raging:

'Abd-al Latif
10-17-2009, 01:09 PM
:salamext:

It's called مكة‎

ژاله
10-17-2009, 01:38 PM
^lol. Makkah is closer to the original word and a more islamic way to write it...

syilla
10-19-2009, 02:07 AM
in Malaysia we spell it Mekah

مكة‎

so 'm' doesn't sounds like 'mother' or 'mama'... :D

Ramadhan
10-19-2009, 05:15 AM
^^ same as in Indonesia, which, in melayu tongue, is closer to the arabic pronounciation

sirajstc
10-19-2009, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by A.M.H.

MAKKAH

:w:
:statisfie

:statisfie jazakalla kahair

format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
:salamext:

It's called مكة‎
makkah?

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaak
^lol. Makkah is closer to the original word and a more islamic way to write it...
so its makkah

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
in Malaysia we spell it Mekah

مكة‎

so 'm' doesn't sounds like 'mother' or 'mama'... :D
;D;D;D

format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
^^ same as in Indonesia, which, in melayu tongue, is closer to the arabic pronounciation

or thx

Caller الداعي
10-19-2009, 07:07 AM
it depends on how u pronounce the english letters so theres no fixed way

HamzaTR
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
How about Meccah? :) I was pronouncing it so..
by the way Mr Google found results for Mecca more than Makkah
People use Mecca more if it makes sense

Woodrow
10-23-2009, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HamzaTR
How about Meccah? :) I was pronouncing it so..
by the way Mr Google found results for Mecca more than Makkah
People use Mecca more if it makes sense
True, but keep in mind many of those results do not refer to the Holy City but rather to the vernacular understanding of mecca(English word) While all of the results for Makkah refer to the Holy City.

A-Believer-25
10-24-2009, 11:24 PM

I think it is spelled as Makkah. Allah (SWT) knows best.

sirajstc
10-25-2009, 03:17 AM
yeah thx right way its makkah right?

A-Believer-25
10-25-2009, 03:34 AM
I believe so.

ardianto
10-25-2009, 03:37 AM
yeah thx right way its makkah right?
Right. But Mekah is also right if you speak or write in Malaysian/Indonesian language.
Brother, you can write makkah, makah, mekah or mecca. This is not a big problem.

OurIslamic
10-25-2009, 04:11 AM
Either is fine. I don't see why people are offended when someone spells it as "Mecca". They both mean the same thing, and sound ALMOST similar. When you convert something into transliteration, there is no exact conversion. Use either that you feel more comfortable with. I've seen people use both, and they are very pious.

Woodrow
10-25-2009, 02:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
Either is fine. I don't see why people are offended when someone spells it as "Mecca". They both mean the same thing, and sound ALMOST similar. When you convert something into transliteration, there is no exact conversion. Use either that you feel more comfortable with. I've seen people use both, and they are very pious.

My only objection is that Mecca has become part of the English vocabulary as the noun mecca. The noun mecca is now synonymous with "a frivolous gather place" ie: Sturgis is a mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts. --Reno is a mecca for gamblers.

While it is not offensive to use Mecca, in my opinion using it in an English speaking country is misleading to the uneducated.

ardianto
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
My only objection is that Mecca has become part of the English vocabulary as the noun mecca. The noun mecca is now synonymous with "a frivolous gather place" ie: Sturgis is a mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts. --Reno is a mecca for gamblers.

While it is not offensive to use Mecca, in my opinion using it in an English speaking country is misleading to the uneducated.
Reno ?.
I thought in Nevada gambling is allowed only in Las Vegas.

Oopps, begin out of topic. Okay, I am back to the topic.

In Indonesian language, 'Mekah' becomes a synonym of "a gather place for people who have a same interest".

sirajstc
10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Right. But Mekah is also right if you speak or write in Malaysian/Indonesian language.
Brother, you can write makkah, makah, mekah or mecca. This is not a big problem.

yeah tats not big deal i just asked :)

A'râf
10-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Mekke . . . :)

Insaanah
10-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Which spelling you use has nothing to do with how pious you are, and is not a big deal in itself. It's just that the word Mecca nowadays, is used, as Uncle Woodrow says, in a less than desirable way. In the UK there was even a chain of betting shops called Mecca Bookmakers. The spelling Makkah, nowadays, is tending to be used as the preferred spelling by many Muslims, and is closer to the correct pronounciation.

However, I guess we would need to see which spellings the Saudis themselves are using, as it's in their country!

This is from the Saudi Ministry of Hajj website.

http://www.hajinformation.com/main/f20.htm

Hope this helps :)

sirajstc
11-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Correct word Is Makkah :) thx 4 ta info

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.