/* */

PDA

View Full Version : hijab problems

layla is here
10-17-2009, 03:36 PM
I have been wearing hijab for 3 years alhamdulillah. but the last year I have had no luck finding a job. I have been to at least 10 interviews and nobody hired me. my mother thinks I should stop wearing my hijab out to look for work. I don't know what to do. I can't keep going like this. What should I do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
10-17-2009, 03:51 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by layla is here
.. my mother thinks I should stop wearing my hijab
No sis ; we are not allowed to do this . We must obey our parents but obeying Allah comes first.

Rizk comes from Allah . Don't worry . InshaAllah u will be granted what is good for your this life and hereafter.

U may try for alternate like small business , online jobs etc etc. Also why a job is so important to you that u are even thinking of abandoning hijab ?

Cabdullahi
10-17-2009, 04:08 PM
hijab is not a fashion accessory ! .......apply more and at interviews shake the lady interviewer's hand as if you wer a monster it should make a good impression of how strong ur personality is

nebula
10-17-2009, 04:13 PM
sister muslim woman made made a gd point,

Allah is the provider sis, if Allah wills then you'll get a job its not about your hijab, Allah provides for the birds the trees subhannAllah he will provide you with a job inshAllah make dua and have sabr Allah loves the saabiroon.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansariyah
10-17-2009, 04:14 PM
If that was my mother I wud kindly say 'no thanks mom' & never let go of my deen.

Maybe u are gettin rejected for something else...do u really think its all down 2 Hijab?

Humbler_359
10-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I have been wearing hijab for 3 years alhamdulillah. but the last year I have had no luck finding a job. I have been to at least 10 interviews and nobody hired me. my mother thinks I should stop wearing my hijab out to look for work. I don't know what to do. I can't keep going like this. What should I do?
:sl: Sister,

I am in Canada too, I am kind of confused. I went to any stores, there are some new employees since economy is getting better. I see, hijabi sisters are nowwhere, it seems no problem in this issue.

I get frustrated too and done 10-15 good interviews, nobody is hiring me....I will push harder this time.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-17-2009, 05:48 PM
ive been searching for 9 months

i get called in on interviews and it feels like as soon as they see my beard (its very long) they make up their minds.

i tick every box, i demand reasons for why i wasnt selected and its always (we decided to go with someone else, nothing more) many even said "there is no point where we could fault you"

so all i say sis is, ALLAH DOES EVERYTHING FOR THE BEST!

never EVER EVER EVER compromise your religion

i would feel like i sold my religion if i get a job after trimming/shaving my beard, i wouldnt be able to sleep at night

i've undertaken some projects to earn money without working for anyone in a halal way

seriously, your a girl... a husband can provide for you! you shouldnt be under pressure.

i have a lot of people relying on me.. and im still not even considering shaving my beard

plz do the right thing

assalamu alaikum

GuestFellow
10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Asslamu Aliakum.

There are many people who are having great difficulty finding a job. Don't take off your Hijab. You'll find work eventually.

cat eyes
10-17-2009, 06:17 PM
i am not having much responses either i had given my cv to many companies even when i was told personally that they were hiring the minute they had seen me coming they said no on the spot.

even the security guard who was also a hindu stoped me coming in and he said we are not hiring here because he seen me coming with my c.v would you believe that and i said are you manager or who you are to tell me that the company is not hiring i could not believe the ignorance it was hardly surprizing though either the mangers were mostly hindu and some other religion. i recently went to interview then and they refused me a place todayimsad but i would never remove my hijab for no one i have a lot of experience and i am confident i will get a job one day..

Sampharo
10-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Not getting a job has a thousand reasons and I have heard this "Can't get a job despite dozens of interviews... what is wrong with me...why are they doing this..." So on, so forth, and these people were not wearing hijabs or growing beards, so do not attrivute everything to hijab.

However, even if it is. Would you WANT this job that was given to you when you let go of your hijab and became uncovered?

At least I can understand a brother thinking of shaving his beard. The beard is the one with the scary stigma, and they're the ones who are required in Islam to earn and spend on the family, so if he fears poverty then it becomes a necessity, and God knows best. But what's your excuse? What is your desperate need for a job? Earn more money to buy more stuff? Is that money sister worth your religion?

Your call.

And God knows best

mahfuja
10-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Sis trust me nothing is worth compromising your religion for and certainly not a duniya desire like a job! I re iterate what everyone has been advising that yes maybe you want a job, maybe you desperately need one for whatever reason but do you reckon there would be any Barakah in that job or the money you earn if you take your hijaab of for that job?

The Almighty works in mysterious ways subhan'Allah but always in the way which He knows is best for us! He knows what we do not and when nothing seems to be going our way leave everything up to Allah ta'ala and instil your immense faith in him and you'll see insha'Allah the outcome will be positive :)

AlbanianMuslim
10-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Keep trying sis, even if you have to go to 100 interviews. You never know, this may be a test from Allah swt to see if you are truly committed to wearing it.

My cousins wife went to a lot of interviews before she was finally hired to work at a lab at a local university. Dont let something like this push you to take the hijab off. Its not a fashion accessory you can put on and take off when you feel its getting in the way of things, your mother is your mother and yes you must respect her but you cannot go against Islam even for her.

layla is here
10-17-2009, 11:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Not getting a job has a thousand reasons and I have heard this "Can't get a job despite dozens of interviews... what is wrong with me...why are they doing this..." So on, so forth, and these people were not wearing hijabs or growing beards, so do not attrivute everything to hijab.

However, even if it is. Would you WANT this job that was given to you when you let go of your hijab and became uncovered?

At least I can understand a brother thinking of shaving his beard. The beard is the one with the scary stigma, and they're the ones who are required in Islam to earn and spend on the family, so if he fears poverty then it becomes a necessity, and God knows best. But what's your excuse? What is your desperate need for a job? Earn more money to buy more stuff? Is that money sister worth your religion?

Your call.

And God knows best
well I need to pay rent even though I live with my mother. She still makes me pay her.

Malaikah
10-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Keep trying. Many people who don't wear hijab or are not even Muslim find it hard to find a job. You can't be sure that's the reason why. Just keep trying and be patient, and keep your faith in Allah.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
hang in there sis, my bro has rejected many jobs for them not allowing him to pray/go to jumuah. he is a tiler, but hey it's still a job :D so yh, dont give up your deen :) this dunya is worth rubbish....

transition?
10-18-2009, 03:58 AM
If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it.” (Al-Bukhari)

:)

cat eyes
10-18-2009, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by transition?
If a woman of the people of Paradise were to look out over the people of this earth, it would light up everything in between and fill it with fragrance, and the veil of her head is better than this world and everything in it.” (Al-Bukhari)

:)
awwwww thanks for sharing that sis:)

cat eyes
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo

Your call.

And God knows best
well i don't know about that brother maybe your right but before i had become muslim i was getting to many offers for jobs like to many!! when you are told a place is hiring from an insider so surely what reason would they have to refuse you?when you know well they are hiring, why would they turn around and say no liike many employers have told me my veil is beautiful but they could be putting on the act maybe the companies are actually afraid if anything was to happen on the job like discrimination from another staff member maybe they are afraid they will be taken to court. i think they want to protect there company also you know.

Thinker
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Indeed – do not deny your religion but it is a matter of debate as to whether wearing hijab or a beard is a requirement of your religion. Many Muslims have decided that God does not require it and many non Muslims (including myself who has studied the question in depth) have decided that these things are worn as a matter of uniform, to identify yourself as Muslim as distinct from kafir not because God commanded it so. So wear you hijab and grow your beard but recognise that you will be judged by many non Muslims not as a pious or deeply devout devotee of God but as a flag carrier for the cause. Like it or not, that’s the way it is.

Uthman
10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Thinker
Indeed – do not deny your religion but it is a matter of debate as to whether wearing hijab or a beard is a requirement of your religion.
It should be made clear, however, that from the mainstream/orthodox position, wearing the hijaab is an obligation.

As far as I'm aware, it only became a 'matter of debate' in recent times but there is no disagreement amongst the orthodoxy on the issue.

Sampharo
10-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Indeed – do not deny your religion but it is a matter of debate as to whether wearing hijab or a beard is a requirement of your religion.
No it's not a matter of debate. It is an obligation by dictation. You seem to always mix Islam with "ways of life" where people can choose to consider what they want out of it.

Many Muslims have decided that God does not require it
Just because some ignorants decide not to follow an obligation, does not mean they aren't getting a sin registered for them and will not be judged for it. Your lack of belief in the matter of course is not of concern.

and many non Muslims (including myself who has studied the question in depth) have decided that these things are worn as a matter of uniform, to identify yourself as Muslim as distinct from kafir not because God commanded it so.
For the beard yes, for the hijab most certainly not and if you thought so then you haven't studied the matter in the depth that you thought you have.

So wear you hijab and grow your beard but recognise that you will be judged by many non Muslims not as a pious or deeply devout devotee of God but as a flag carrier for the cause. Like it or not, that’s the way it is.
That maybe the case, most non-muslims are short-sighted and unaware anyway. But I think there are enough knowledgable non-muslims out there along with muslims who do own and manage businesses in every country to give their jobs to whomever has merit without prejudice.

Nice to see secular ideals of racial and religious equality being shown for the empty gestures they truly are on their own, without us having to call them anything. :statisfie

Thinker
10-18-2009, 05:42 PM
What does a potential (non Muslim) employer think when he sees the applicant wearing a hijab or beard?

He/She probably knows nothing about Islam other than what he has picked up from the news, current affairs programmes, documentaries and life around him. The TV programmes primarily focus around the radical Muslims pursuing extreme and radical forms of Islam. He knows that most Muslims are not like that, that they are moderates wanting peace and prosperity for themselves and their families. He also knows that only 1 in every 1,000 Muslim men (in the west) grow the fist long beard and that 1 in every 10 Muslim women wear the hijab and only 1 in every 1,000 women wear a burka. So the applicant in front of him wearing the hijab or the beard, does he put them in the moderate box or the radical box?

Next he wonders whether the lady in hijab might decide at a point in the future that she wants to wear a burka or she might come to him and complain that she can’t work with men or she can’t shake the hands of male customers or she can’t serve customers with items (alcohol) that she objects to.

If you were that employer which applicant would you employ; the one that might bring you problems or the other one?

OmerAsadAllah
10-22-2009, 02:49 AM
This video isn't exactly for the idea of jobs , but it serves as a good reminder for sisters who might start thinking about not wearing the hijab....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm824ssZJr4&feature=fvw

al Amaanah
10-22-2009, 03:22 AM
:salamext:

disobeying Allah (removing ur 7ejaab) for a job sounds more than madness to me to be honest ukht layla. fear Allah, put ur trust in Allah, He is the Provider, make do3aa2 to Him and insha Allah u'll find one.

The Prophet (salla Allaho 3alaihi wasallam) said: “There is no obedience if it involves disobedience towards Allaah; obedience is only in that which is right and proper.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (4085) and Muslim (1840).

وما من دابة في الأرض إلا على الله رزقها ويعلم مستقرها ومستودعها كل في كتاب مبين

سورة هود

6. "And no (moving) living creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allah. And He knows its dwelling place and its deposit (in the uterous, grave, etc.). all is in a Clear Book" (Al Lauh Al Mahfuth - the Book of Decrees with Allah).

ومن يتق الله يجعل له مخرجا

ويرزقه من حيث لا يحتسب ومن يتوكل على الله فهو حسبه إن الله بالغ أمره قد جعل الله لكل شيءٍ قدرا

سورة الطلاق

2. "..And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty)."

3. "And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things."
:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-22-2009, 08:11 AM
What does a potential (non Muslim) employer think when he sees the applicant wearing a hijab or beard?
i dont know. who cares? he wants employees, why should he/she look at them and not their ability to work.

He/She probably knows nothing about Islam other than what he has picked up from the news, current affairs programmes, documentaries and life around him. The TV programmes primarily focus around the radical Muslims pursuing extreme and radical forms of Islam. He knows that most Muslims are not like that, that they are moderates wanting peace and prosperity for themselves and their families. He also knows that only 1 in every 1,000 Muslim men (in the west) grow the fist long beard and that 1 in every 10 Muslim women wear the hijab and only 1 in every 1,000 women wear a burka. So the applicant in front of him wearing the hijab or the beard, does he put them in the moderate box or the radical box?
why doesn't he take them out of either box. one shouldn't have to put up with the blame for another's insecurity

Next he wonders whether the lady in hijab might decide at a point in the future that she wants to wear a burka or she might come to him and complain that she can’t work with men or she can’t shake the hands of male customers or she can’t serve customers with items (alcohol) that she objects to.
no he doesn't. the applicants should do their homework as to what the job will entail and not bother to apply for it if it consistent of disobeying God in any way.

If you were that employer which applicant would you employ; the one that might bring you problems or the other one?
the applicant that i feel would work best for me. if i had any suspicious, i would see trough that they were cleared, before i decied to reject/accept an applicant and that would be by using my own brain and analyze for MYself what that that sister in the hijaab/burka or that man in the beard was all about. i would not, in any way, refer to the money-making machines media to get my knowledge about Muslims. i would take it upon myself to do my own research and not judge people for their outer appearance, but rather what they could do for me, as their employee.

why cant you people just understand it, we dont care for what people have to say about us.

Thinker
10-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Indeed ‘disobeying’ one of God’s commands would be unwise at the extreme. But God didn’t command that women wear the hijab or that men wear a beard. If God had wanted women wear the hijab or that men wear a beard he would have listed it as a requirement explicitly and unambiguously as a requirement. He didn’t do that and because a scholar ‘a’ ‘b’ or ‘c’ has extrapolated an interpretation from some obscure text, you (that’s the collective you) leap to the conclusion that God commanded it. We’ve had this debate on this site many times and I’m happy to go through it again but it always ends up with me quoting text and facts and you (again that’s the collective you) stretching that text to ‘interpret’ it as something else. Believe what you want to believe, wear what you want to wear but be careful about invoking God’s name by saying it’s his command when it simply is not.

cat eyes
10-22-2009, 04:43 PM
i asked myself that question 1million times before believe me but i really believe you need to read the holy Qur'an again my friend. if we were to dress like the unbelievers nobody would know there was a god but wen non muslims see a believer wearing these strange clothes they start to think to themselves they ask questions they want to find out about islam they want to know why these women cover from head to toe..

they start to question this creation, they want to know about this strange religion and thats why so many people have reverted all you have to do is log on to youtube and you will see for yourself! i believe this is an obligation purely to show the non muslims we are believers and be as a influence to them otherwise how else are they going to know. its also true that Allah will not judge you with what you wore in this life. Allah will judge you purely for you deeds.

simply wearing the veil dose not make you a muslim. what makes you a muslim is believing in one god and all the prophets

zakirs
10-22-2009, 07:42 PM
well I need to pay rent even though I live with my mother. She still makes me pay her.
May Allah help you get a job sis . I am sorry to hear about your difficulties.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-23-2009, 04:39 AM
Indeed ‘disobeying’ one of God’s commands would be unwise at the extreme. But God didn’t command that women wear the hijab or that men wear a beard. If God had wanted women wear the hijab or that men wear a beard he would have listed it as a requirement explicitly and unambiguously as a requirement. He didn’t do that and because a scholar ‘a’ ‘b’ or ‘c’ has extrapolated an interpretation from some obscure text, you (that’s the collective you) leap to the conclusion that God commanded it. We’ve had this debate on this site many times and I’m happy to go through it again but it always ends up with me quoting text and facts and you (again that’s the collective you) stretching that text to ‘interpret’ it as something else.
give it up will you. sisters will always *proudly* keep a cloth wrapped around our heads and brothers likewise will keep hair growing from their faces. we dont care for anyone's approval, except God's so bringing up the same issues up over and over again will do no good for you. you are serisouly just exhauting yourself for no reason...

Believe what you want to believe, wear what you want to wear but be careful about invoking God’s name by saying it’s his command when it simply is not.
take your own advice, and i'll be glad to follow suit.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.