/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Husband worship

Iskandaragung
10-18-2009, 06:21 AM
Please clafify me on this issue. I'm an atheist but I believe that in all of the religions in the world, parents are paramount. This eventually gave rise to ancestral worship in many of world religions. But there is something peculiar to the teaching of Islam (according to some muslim). The strong relationship of parents and children are only true for their sons. Sons and parents have strong relationship for his entire life, whereas daughters will cease to be related to their parents after they get married. Abidance for married muslim women are solely directed towards their husbands. My muslim friend said that according to Hadith, Muhammad once said that he would ask wives to worship their husband should human worship permitted by Allah. I personally oppose this type of notion. For me, parents should be revered by all of their children. No particular other person should interrupt the relationship between parents and their children. These notion of cessation of the relationship of daughters to their parents after marriage and “husband worship” are classic example of second class treatment medieval Arabs have towards women. I believe this barbaric tradition then infused into Islam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2009, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iskandaragung
Please clafify me on this issue. I'm an atheist but I believe that in all of the religions in the world, parents are paramount. This eventually gave rise to ancestral worship in many of world religions. But there is something peculiar to the teaching of Islam (according to some muslim). The strong relationship of parents and children are only true for their sons. Sons and parents have strong relationship for his entire life, whereas daughters will cease to be related to their parents after they get married.
yes, it's unfortunate you'll find that in many Muslim cultures where sons are favored over daughters, despite Islams encouragement to treat daughters well!

I personally oppose this type of notion. For me, parents should be revered by all of their children.
Islam put great emphasis on obedience to parents.

No particular other person should interrupt the relationship between parents and their children.
and no person does...

These notion of cessation of the relationship of daughters to their parents after marriage and “husband worship” are classic example of second class treatment medieval Arabs have towards women.
I believe this barbaric tradition then infused into Islam.
im not too sure what you are implying here, but no Muslim worships anyone (not parents, not spouse, NO ONE) except god, so no tradition got "infused" into Islam, for Islam has been completed and perfected with no place or reason to add anything to it. unless you mean "infused into Muslim culture..."

Snowflake
10-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Muhammad once said that he would ask wives to worship their husband should human worship permitted by Allah.
The Prophet, peace be upon him was giving an example of the status of the husband. In no way does his statement amount to saying the husband should be worshipped. However the husband has the highest right to be obeyed from amongst a wife's relatives as he is the one who is maintaining her. Having said that, a good muslim husband would never prevent his wife from obeying her parents in matters of goodness and neither would good muslim parents expect their daughter to obey them over their husbands.

You also have to understand that not all parents ask good of their daughters. Some parents literally tell their daughter to screw the husband for all he's got. If a daughter was to obey her parents then what right would she have to refuse? Can you imagine what this would mean for the husband who is working hard to maintain this woman who doesn't have to earn a penny all her life?

Islam is perfect and full of wisdom. You really have to understand human weaknesses to understand why Islam implemented the teachings it has.

Muslim Woman
10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Salaam/Peace

.. whereas daughters will cease to be related to their parents after they get married.
there is no such verse in Quran that says : daughters will cease to be related to their parents after they get married. Relationship with parents is forever but husband - wife relationship can break down - though it's not encouraged.

In many culture , u will see wives use husband's name / surname with her name . Quran does not order women to do so .

Abidance for married muslim women are solely directed towards their husbands.
Earning and spending money for family members is a must for men . Women have no financial burden on them to earn or spend money for spouse , kids or parents . It's husband's / brothers' duty.

When Prophet pbuh was sick , his daughtre Fatima visited him regularly . A husband must not refrain wife from visiting her parents unless there is a valid reason.

Muhammad once said that he would ask wives to worship their husband should human worship permitted by Allah.
and there is no such permission :) as a sis already told u , we worship God only.

few related info:

Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (Quran: An-Nisaa 19)

Prophet pbuh said : "The best of you are they who behave best to their wives."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rabi'ya
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
:sl:

Really all I can say on the matter is that this is not something from Islam. However, there are many people who follow Islam + their culture. Their culture has this kind of idea where teh sons stay close but the daughters go to the husband, This is not from Islam, and it is a very hard culture to break. Even when you tell people it is not from Islam.*sigh*

Caller الداعي
10-19-2009, 01:04 PM
guys if we dont have the knwoledge then we should refer the question to some1 who does otherwise we'd just end up causing harm than good

Sampharo
10-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Al-Hamdolillahi Rabbel-Alameen,

Peace

I will try to address some of the misconceptions of your post and explain the background of the notions, it seems you heard this third hand a bit.

Please clafify me on this issue. I'm an atheist but I believe that in all of the religions in the world, parents are paramount. This eventually gave rise to ancestral worship in many of world religions.
Not true. The first idols were worshiped because they were the leaders of the tribes, and after several generations and people feeling grateful to the heads of their tribes and their statues, they were diverted into worshipping idols.

But there is something peculiar to the teaching of Islam (according to some muslim).
Not really, it's just worked out and buried in judaism and christianity thanks to feminist movements in the West.

The strong relationship of parents and children are only true for their sons. Sons and parents have strong relationship for his entire life, whereas daughters will cease to be related to their parents after they get married.
This was misunderstood completely. Relationship of daughter to parents stay true and just as strong as the son to his. No obligation towards the parents is riscinded. It's just that when marriage is set, then the obedience of a husband becomes a priority over that of the parents, so if the girl's mother for example tells the woman to ignore her husband and go over there, she cannot do so. Daughter's relationship towards her parents is intact.

My muslim friend said that according to Hadith, Muhammad once said that he would ask wives to worship their husband should human worship permitted by Allah.
Yes, kind of, but it was recognition of status and appreciation of his role in life. He said if there was anyone who could or should worship any other, it would be a woman worshipping her husband. That is because he is charged and required to earn and spend on her, care for her, and provide her with shelter, protection, and sustenance. Whatever a woman earns is hers and she's not required to carry any of the burdens.

I personally oppose this type of notion. For me, parents should be revered by all of their children. No particular other person should interrupt the relationship between parents and their children. These notion of cessation of the relationship of daughters to their parents after marriage and “husband worship” are classic example of second class treatment medieval Arabs have towards women. I believe this barbaric tradition then infused into Islam.
Already explained that you misunderstood about the fact that no cessation of relationship is ever introduced, and that you misunderstood. Other than that, we don't appreciate you taking a swing at Islam by using words like "barbaric tradition" or propagate falsehood such as "scond class treatment medieval Arabs have towards women". Your personal shortcomings in comprehending our religion does not give you critique credintials. As for Arab women in medieval times, they were honoured ladies of business and poetry and lived in homes and palaces thriving in an enlightened Islamic nation, while european tribes were still building homes out of cowdung, raiding each other and snatching women and children by the hair to claim as their own JUST to claim women and children as their own, and half the population did not know whether their parents ever married, or did not know their fathers, period.

It is that kind of treatment and society that created the current views of western civilization towards medieval times, what THEY were experiencing in europe. Kindly research and understand matters first before passing judgment along with what can be taken as an insult.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.