/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Row over school closures for Muslim, Hindu and Sikh holidays

Uthman
10-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Two councils have instructed all schools under their control to shut for the annual celebrations of Eid-Ul-Fitr, Diwali and Guru Nanak's Birthday, in addition to the Christian festivals of Christmas and Easter.

The directive, by Waltham Forest and Newham councils, in east London, even affects schools where very few pupils are Muslim, Hindu or Sikh.

After concerns were raised, a review of the policy has been launched in Waltham Forest, with some criticising the closures as inappropriate, unnecessary and "political".

Headteachers have argued that they should be given discretion in deciding which days to mark, as happens in big multi-ethnic cities including Manchester, Birmingham and Bradford.

Whereas one in six Waltham Forest residents is Muslim, according to the last census, Hindus make up only 1.8 per cent of the borough's population, and Sikhs only 0.6 per cent. Jews outnumber Sikhs in the borough, according to the census, yet schools have not been told to close for any Jewish holidays.

Lynette Parvez, head of Kelmscott School, in Walthamstow, told officials conducting the review: "For a school such as Kelmscott where the vast majority of pupils are either Christian or Muslim, there is no need to take additional time out for Diwali or Guru Nanak.

"However, the school does promote and celebrate these events allowing the very small number of staff or pupils to have religious absence days if they request."

She added that schools should be allowed to decide whether or not to allow religious holidays based on their own circumstances.

Rachel MacFarlane, head of Walthamstow School for Girls, told the review: "We remain frustrated by the requirement on all schools, regardless of the religious profile of the staff and student populations, to close for Hindu, Muslim and Sikh festivals."

Craig Byron, Heathcote School coaching coordinator, called the closure decision 'political', saying: "If you compare the holidays to 20 years ago, all the changes are to do with political decisions, not what is best for the staff and students in gaining a rest."

The council has said that the policy is intended to "raise awareness of different faiths and cultures within the school community, which in turn supports cohesion for the wider community".

Councillor Liaquat Ali, Waltham Forest council's cabinet member for children, said: "I am aware of the concerns that have been raised and have asked that a review is carried out to identify exactly what holidays Waltham Forest's children, parents and teachers feel are most appropriate to celebrate during term time."

Parents and teaching unions have joined in the criticism of the Waltham Forest policy, which affects all community primary and secondary schools in the borough, although not Church of England or Catholic schools.

Danny Kent, 34, a financial broker from Dagenham, whose six-year-old daughter Mia goes to Woodford Green primary school, said that it could prove impractical.

"For parents, time off is a nightmare at times and it is another day you have got to take off work," he said. "I'm self-employed so it doesn't bother me, but it will cause some people an amount of grief."

Jilly Darr-Sikander, 37, a Muslim from Walthamstow whose son Sami, six, also goes to the school, said that the school should remain open and warned that closing it could stir up ill feeling towards minority groups.

"If you celebrate Eid or Divali or anything else, you should take your children out of school, but I think they all want a day off."

However, some families support the closures. Carole Vincent, a former Big Brother contestant whose seven-year-old granddaughter Lucia attends the school, said: "We should have those days off because we have Christmas and Easter off. We have our Christian holidays, but if we want to be multicultural, which I believe we do on the whole, we should have those other days.

"It gives an opportunity, when Divali or Eid is coming up, for children to be taught about these different faiths."

Ian Moyes, Waltham Forest secretary of teachers' union NASUWT, and the borough's Teachers Joint Committee have joined calls for the council to drop the enforced holy days.

In Newham, the other borough to close its schools for the three festivals, the population is 24 per cent Muslim, seven per cent Hindu and three per cent Sikh, the 2001 census found.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Blackpool
10-18-2009, 10:35 AM
No wonder our education system sucks.

6 weeks off during the summer holidays
2 weeks off at Christmas
1 week off at Easter
Bank Holidays
Inset days

Now they want it to be closed for Eid, Diwali and Guru Nanak's...?

tango92
10-18-2009, 10:50 AM
this is a laugh. my secondary school was like 55% muslim and they never closed for eid!

czgibson
10-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Greetings,

As with so many other areas of education policy, they should leave it to the teachers to decide.

Peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The_Prince
10-18-2009, 12:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool

2 weeks off at Christmas
1 week off at Easter
Bank Holidays
Inset days

wow thats a TERRIBLE holiday system. 6 weeks only for summer break? i used to get 2 months and a half for summer break! then 3 weeks of winter-new year break, then another 2 weeks break after exams.

Trumble
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds fair enough to me, and only proper for the benefit of muslim, Hindu and Sikh kids and their parents. Three days makes no significant difference in terms of education; if parents are concerned they can always set them some homework or take them on an educational trip somewhere.

Actually, the main problem I can see is that while the kids get the time off, their parents might not be able to.

Joe98
10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
But no holidays for Jewish holy days!

Everybody should protest!

-

aamirsaab
10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I wonder if Nick Griffin will use this in his session on thursday. I hope I didn't give him any ideas tho.

Oh well.

Edit: I actually don't mind about the school closures. But I seriously doubt it will lead to better understanding. It's a day off and when you're in secondary school that means 24 hours of playstation!

GuestFellow
10-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Ah I don't really mind to be honest. =/

Amadeus85
10-19-2009, 06:43 AM
England won't be democratic and tolerant country untill they give free days for Jedi believers. Their holiday is at the day that Yoda was born.

I just hope that it is just a start, because mormons, wiccans and scientologists cant be discriminated too. I hope that no one will feel discriminated in future.

syilla
10-19-2009, 06:46 AM
it is as if...the same thing happening in Malaysia...

now we have 1Malaysia holiday...starting next year. i think on 16th September.
Don't ask me what is it for...coz idk :hiding:

Fטлку
10-19-2009, 06:58 AM
It's only fair that school closes on religious holidays! <_<
I remember when we got a week off for Eid (and nobody went the following week either xD )..they wanted to make up for it with our Saturdays but it didn't work out :giggling:

"We remain frustrated by the requirement on all schools, regardless of the religious profile of the staff and student populations, to close for Hindu, Muslim and Sikh festivals."
You gotta care for the minorities too.

2 weeks off at Christmas
1 week off at Easter
Bank Holidays
Inset days
We have waay more holidays than that! ;D

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
i used to get 2 months and a half for summer break! then 3 weeks of winter-new year break, then another 2 weeks break after exams.
Its exactly the same here :statisfie

Ummu Sufyaan
10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
meh, days off or no days off, that never stopped my family from getting a day off for eid :shade:

Far7an
10-19-2009, 07:47 AM

2 weeks off at Christmas
1 week off at Easter
Bank Holidays
Inset days

It's actually 2 weeks off in Easter, and don't forget the three weeks off for every mid-term break too!

But no holidays for Jewish holy days!

Everybody should protest!
If it was up to the kids, they'd take holidays for every religion. Since the UK recognised Jedi as a religion in the last census, soon you'll find kids donning the jedi robe and asking for a day off to commemorate the day Luke Skywalker defeated the dark side.

Fטлку
10-19-2009, 08:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
don't forget the three weeks off for every mid-term break too!
ahh..I love those days :statisfie

If it was up to the kids, they'd take holidays for every religion.

That's true. I wouldn't mind having a lot of holidays ;D
n It's not only religious holidays. Here, the whole grade decides to take one particular day off and since nobody shows up, we don't miss any classes. It's usually Friday..when we all want to sleep in :D
(We don't do this very often because then the teachers get all hyper <_< )

Ramadhan
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
In Indonesia, all religious holidays are recognised as national holidays. So, we have Islamic holidays (2 days of iedul fitri, iedul adha, maulud nabi, islamic new year), christian/catholic holidays (christmas, good friday, easter), buddha (waisya) and Balinese hindu (nyepi).

Interesting to note that although majority of Indonesians are muslims, non-muslims are protected and given full rights to practice their religions.
meanwhile, western countries who pride themselves as being "secular" only officially recognize christian holidays.

AabiruSabeel
10-22-2009, 06:59 AM

2 weeks off at Christmas
1 week off at Easter
Bank Holidays
Inset days

format_quote Originally Posted by The_Prince
wow thats a TERRIBLE holiday system. 6 weeks only for summer break? i used to get 2 months and a half for summer break! then 3 weeks of winter-new year break, then another 2 weeks break after exams.
In Saudia they have 266 days off this year. Only 99 days school. :ermm:

Arabnews: Why do we close our schools for 266 days a year?

Fטлку
10-22-2009, 10:50 AM
That's like only three months! Wow! I wouldn't mind living there! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.