/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu / Linux users?

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Salam Aleykum,
I switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04 yesterday. Well... I like it much better than Windows. And I'm new to Linux-based operation systems, I have not used any in the past. So if someone of you could help me, especially about the terminal that could be a big help!

Before I installed Ubuntu, I was reading some forums about how to run Windows compatible programs on Linux, I read it's can be done... So what, I installed Ubuntu... And fast opened Firefox to seek up how to do that...
Well, I totally was in that dream there is some format to install programs like the .exe works on Windows. Then I had to 'wake up', it's different on Ubuntu... But by this I could learn new things about Linux-based OSs. But then I did everything successfully and works that 'emulator', named 'wine' works fine.

So I'd like to get some help from you to teach me the basics about Ubuntu. I can give you my MSN address in a PM. Please, who can help me, be live in the Europe, because of the time zones... I'd not like to sit infront of my PC at about 2:00 am. :)

So anyone of you uses Ubuntu or Linux-based OS then please help me!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
gang4
10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed_
Salam Aleykum,
I switched from Windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04 yesterday. Well... I like it much better than Windows. And I'm new to Linux-based operation systems, I have not used any in the past. So if someone of you could help me, especially about the terminal that could be a big help!

Before I installed Ubuntu, I was reading some forums about how to run Windows compatible programs on Linux, I read it's can be done... So what, I installed Ubuntu... And fast opened Firefox to seek up how to do that...
Well, I totally was in that dream there is some format to install programs like the .exe works on Windows. Then I had to 'wake up', it's different on Ubuntu... But by this I could learn new things about Linux-based OSs. But then I did everything successfully and works that 'emulator', named 'wine' works fine.

So I'd like to get some help from you to teach me the basics about Ubuntu. I can give you my MSN address in a PM. Please, who can help me, be live in the Europe, because of the time zones... I'd not like to sit infront of my PC at about 2:00 am. :)

So anyone of you uses Ubuntu or Linux-based OS then please help me!
It's been a while since I played around Ubuntu...I won't be much help to you..nor expect someone to pm you...this thing one needs to learn by oneself....

few tips, read a lot in Ubuntu forum most of the questions you may have most likely have been answered...

Problem for Ubuntu newbies... sound doesn't work... take few trick to get it done...

Use VMWare instead of wine which limited to run only few windows program...
VMWare capables to run any windows programs (except games which are heavy for any emulators)

Most of programs of Windows can also be found in Linux... why bother running emulator? unless of course you need to run specialized programs (like Novel writing)

Hardly any setup program in linux ... learn how to manually install a program..a lot like manually installing web program under apache web server...

the beauty about linux...you will never (almost) have a virus, malware etc...

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gang4
It's been a while since I played around Ubuntu...I won't be much help to you..nor expect someone to pm you...this thing one needs to learn by oneself....

few tips, read a lot in Ubuntu forum most of the questions you may have most likely have been answered...

Problem for Ubuntu newbies... sound doesn't work... take few trick to get it done...

Use VMWare instead of wine which limited to run only few windows program...
VMWare capables to run any windows programs (except games which are heavy for any emulators)

Most of programs of Windows can also be found in Linux... why bother running emulator? unless of course you need to run specialized programs (like Novel writing)

Hardly any setup program in linux ... learn how to manually install a program..a lot like manually installing web program under apache web server...

the beauty about linux...you will never (almost) have a virus, malware etc...
Thanks for repling. :) Yes, I read as carefully and much as I can. I'd really like to learn this OS, and I'm also memorizing the commands for the terminal. :)
About games: I'm also looking for games which I have but it's also can be found for Linux. But there are sometihng programs which can't really be found, for example Games for Windows. And there are also some programs which can't be found aswell, for example PhotoShop.

But anyway, I like Ubuntu... :)

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm also using Ubuntu becuase of viruses. I had enough on my XP... And also those hack files aren't running on Linux. :P

I LOVE IT!! ^^

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Far7an
10-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Assalaamu alaikum,

Alhamdulillah Allah has guided me to Ubuntu! I've been using it for almost a month now and I'm loving it alhamdulillah! I'm far from an expert though, but if you need some assistance, there is this forum which you can post your questions on: http://ubuntuforums.org/

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Assalaamu alaikum,

Alhamdulillah Allah has guided me to Ubuntu! I've been using it for almost a month now and I'm loving it alhamdulillah! I'm far from an expert though, but if you need some assistance, there is this forum which you can post your questions on: http://ubuntuforums.org/
Nice. :P Thanks for the link... I still love ubuntu... xD :)

Uthman
10-18-2009, 06:48 PM
:salamext:

This doesn't help with your actual problem but check this out if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2347168,00.asp

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
:salamext

This doesn't help with your actual problem but check this out if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2347168,00.asp
Yaaaa! The muslim edition. I think it's the funniest and the seriousest edition of Linux. :) I haven't try it yet, but I'm interested about it... :) But I'm just fine with Ubuntu now. :)

Trumble
10-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Another Ubuntu user here, although I must admit I still have a Windows machine as well. I'm still new to it, though, so can't be much help I'm afraid.

Please pass on any useful tips you discover!

Danah
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
:sl:

Excuse my laziness to search.....I need a quick answer to this

I have a Windows XP version 2002 in my laptop and would like to have the Ubuntu as another OS in the same machine....will that affect the performance? considering that I have 504 RAM.

Mohamed_
10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
:sl:

Excuse my laziness to search.....I need a quick answer to this

I have a Windows XP version 2002 in my laptop and would like to have the Ubuntu as another OS in the same machine....will that affect the performance? considering that I have 504 RAM.
Yes, you can have 2 or more operation system on your PC. But take care about the space! Ubuntu is 4,0 GB huge. But the RAM doesn't make effect about Ubuntu. Ubuntu requires 256 MB RAM only. And when you run 1 OS on your PC, then only the currently OS is using the RAM. So it will not affect your perfomance. And if your Windows XP runs fine, then Ubuntu will run smoother and faster than XP would do.

When you installed the other operation system(s)and turned your PC on, at the start you have to choose an operaion system you would like to use (your PC automaticly ask for it before the boot).

If you would like to switch OS, then just restart your PC and do that same as above.

Eliphaz
10-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Good times.

I used Ubuntu (briefly) whilst doing my PhD back in the days before I quit.

At the time I knew all the terminal commands but to be honest I hated using terminal to do everything, it was a pain in the backside! Every time I needed to install something it would take me weeeks of looking through those blasted forums. :exhausted

Windows for life baby!

Mohamed_
10-19-2009, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
Good times.

I used Ubuntu (briefly) whilst doing my PhD back in the days before I quit.

At the time I knew all the terminal commands but to be honest I hated using terminal to do everything, it was a pain in the backside! Every time I needed to install something it would take me weeeks of looking through those blasted forums. :exhausted

Windows for life baby!
Hahaha yea.
But google is our best friend. :) It finds you anything you want (just need to know what you are looking for)! ^^

Eliphaz
10-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Hahaha yea.
But google is our best friend. :) It finds you anything you want (just need to know what you are looking for)! ^^
It's a bit of a gnuisance if you ask me. :p

Mohamed_
10-19-2009, 08:15 PM
^^

I could found anything I wanted to get for Ubuntu by using google. Only the problem is my video card... My video card has 2 names: ASUS Extreme AX500 ATI Series, ATI Radeon X550. Hmmm... But I'm sure I'll find out something for this problem... :P

Eliphaz
10-19-2009, 10:57 PM
^^

I could found anything I wanted to get for Ubuntu by using google. Only the problem is my video card... My video card has 2 names: ASUS Extreme AX500 ATI Series, ATI Radeon X550. Hmmm... But I'm sure I'll find out something for this problem... :P
Setting up a wireless network is also a nightmare if the computer doesn't have its own card and you are using a Netgear usb wireless dongle-thingy (only the most popular brand on the market!), ubuntu just doesn't want to know about it. You have to jump through about 10 hoops and it still doesn't work! I was planning to drill a hole through the wall (or maybe just an axe at one point) just to get the network cable through! :D

All in all, I uninstalled Wubi and am now a happy man.

Mohamed_
10-21-2009, 04:32 AM
I had to install Windows 7, Ubuntu isn't that good for me because of the graphic card problem... I could not find the good driver, because it's not exist anywhere...:cry:

So I'm on Windows 7 right now... Looks a bit better... I like Ubuntu more than Windows...

zakirs
10-21-2009, 04:45 AM
I am a ubuntu user for 3 years .. dont worry bro you can try the next distro ... you can always pm if you need any help.

Linux FTW

Mohamed_
10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
I am a ubuntu user for 3 years .. dont worry bro you can try the next distro ... you can always pm if you need any help.

Linux FTW
THANKS!:P:D I'll use your help... I'm very excited about the new 9.10 version, I hope it brings me the good driver for Ubuntu. :)

$tranger
10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Audhubillah

keep the fitnah to youself! :exhausted

Far7an
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahm@d
Audhubillah

keep the fitnah to youself! :exhausted
What fitnah? I think we should have a thread dedicated to conversion stories, for those who have left windows.

Mohamed_
10-21-2009, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
What fitnah? I think we should have a thread dedicated to conversion stories, for those who have left windows.
Agreed. I started this topic to those who uses Ubuntu and can give me some help. But it's turned into an Ubuntu and Windows converstation. I don't think it's bad. And now there is a topic where you can say good, bad things to Windows and Ubuntu.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.