/* */

PDA

View Full Version : marrying cousin

muslimbhai
10-18-2009, 01:44 PM
salam,

is it lawful to marry one's cousin in islam. someone enlighten please!!! :embarrass

salam!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Banu_Hashim
10-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Islamic Viewpoint: Yes

Bub
10-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Salam! Yes, my parents are second cousin
Its HALAL =]

Rasema
10-18-2009, 08:10 PM
:sl:
Some people will think that this is immortal. But, that is because you treat your cousins like your sisters/brothers. In this case, this person has not ever been oround his/her sousin in secret, or something like that.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah it is allowed but i personally would be afraid about the genetic diseases i am very modern in that sense so i would object to it thats my own personal belief. any type of mix up could happen.. so yeah it is allowed if the two of you are in agreement

Nájlá
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Yes its allowed.

Check this thread.

Soulja Girl
10-18-2009, 08:35 PM

^You mean she was married to her father's :saws1: cousin?? =]

But yes, it's allowed all right.

Nájlá
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

^You mean she was married to her father's :saws1: cousin?? =]

But yes, it's allowed all right.

Ah yeh thats right sorry my mistake.

AhmadibnNasroon
10-18-2009, 10:03 PM
Cousins are not included from those who are forbidden to marry so yes this is permissible. Allah says in Surah'tul Nisa

23. Forbidden to you (for marriage) are: your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father's sisters, your mother's sisters, your brother's daughters, your sister's daughters, your foster mother who gave you suck, your foster milk suckling sisters, your wives' mothers, your step daughters under your guardianship, born of your wives to whom you have gone in - but there is no sin on you if you have not gone in them (to marry their daughters), - the wives of your sons who (spring) from your own loins, and two sisters in wedlock at the same time, except for what has already passed; verily, Allâh is Oft*Forgiving, Most Merciful.

As for the issue of genetics then it has more to do with simply having a defect in your genes than marrying one's cousin. If there is a defect in the family genes then yes its not advisable to marry one's cousin due to the possibility of having those very genes in both the mother and father thus resulting in a mental or physical handicap in the baby. This happened to my aunt and uncle who are cousins and all of their children were severely retarded.

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the post brother. Jazak. I am sorry for what happened to the children of ur Aunt and uncle but i dun think thats due to genes. Allah wants it to be like that maybe for a reason only He knows. As for the topic, i wanna marry my mum's elder sister's grand daughter insyallah. hope thats not really too close a cousin...=)...

salam...

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 12:44 AM
the reason why im so into marrying her is because of her religion. she can speak arabic and has memorised the quran!!! it would be a blessing to have someone like her...for me, i prefer marrying outside my family..but in this case, the religion takes prevalence..

Muslim Woman
10-19-2009, 12:45 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimbhai
.. i wanna marry my mum's elder sister's grand daughter .
ummm then she is not ur cousin - you are her uncle . As she is not the daughter of your own sister but cousin's daughter , to my knowledge it's allowed.

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 12:50 AM
OMG!! Muslimwoman!! i hope what u said is true!! that would save me from a possible "incest" embarrassment from the disbelievers as well!!! someone please confirm her words??? if its true, i wanna marry you muslimwoman!!

Salam...jazaak

Humbler_359
10-19-2009, 12:58 AM
omg!! Muslimwoman!! I hope what u said is true!! That would save me from a possible "incest" embarrassment from the disbelievers as well!!! Someone please confirm her words??? If its true, i wanna marry you muslimwoman!!

Salam...jazaak
Lol...

Muslim Woman
10-19-2009, 01:10 AM

[QUOTE=muslimbhai;1230532 that would save me from a possible "incest" embarrassment from the disbelievers as well!!! [/QUOTE]

What Allah made halal , does not matter what disbelievers says about it , it's halal till the final day. Offer Istekhara and take a decision.

if its true, i wanna marry you muslimwoman!!
but you are toooooo late bro , sorry . I am already married :statisfie

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 03:06 AM
lol...alhamdulillah...=)...:p...may Allah grant my wish...Amin

Woodrow
10-19-2009, 03:15 AM
It is not only permitted in Islam, it is permitted in many religions and cultures. For that matter President Franklin Roosevelt was married to his Cousin. Eleanor Roosevelt was his cousin and her maiden name was Roosevelt before they married.

Muslim Woman
10-19-2009, 08:09 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
..President Franklin Roosevelt was married to his Cousin. .
That's interesting . I guess , now a days Christians don't marry cousins anymore or do they ?

Woodrow
10-19-2009, 11:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

That's interesting . I guess , now a days Christians don't marry cousins anymore or do they ?
It seems to occur in some of the Scandinavian Countries. Here in the US it is illegal in some states but not all. It occurs often in several of the Southern States.

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 04:13 PM
Salam,

Thanks for all your enlightenment brothers and sisters...this has been bugging me for years..ever since i was young...both of us has a fondness for each other...she likes me insyallah...i love her coz she has the religion...and beauty(secondary)...Insyallah, i will marry her...insyallah...

Salam, Jazaakumullah khair..

Muslim Woman
10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Salam,

...Insyallah, i will marry her...insyallah...

bro , don't forget to offer Istekhara salat .

muslimbhai
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Sister,

will u please relate to me regarding the issues of salat istikhara?

=)

Muslim Woman
10-20-2009, 12:40 AM

Suggestions from God - Salah tul Istikhara

"Istikhara" means to seek goodness from Allah (Exalted is He), meaning when one intends to do an important task they do istikhara before the task. The one who does the istikhara is as if they request Allah Almighty that, O the Knower of Unseen (Exalted is He) guide me if this task is better for me or not?

"O Allah! I seek goodness from Your Knowledge and with Your Power (and Might) I seek strength, and I ask from You Your Great Blessings, because You have the Power and I do not have the power.

You Know everything and I do not know, and You have knowledge of the unseen. Oh Allah! If in Your Knowledge this action ------------------------------------------------ (which I intend to do) is better for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then make it destined for me and make it easy for me and then add blessings [baraka'] in it, for me.

O Allah! In Your Knowledge if this action is bad for me, bad for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then turn it away from me and turn me away from it and whatever is better for me, ordain [destine] that for me and then make me satisfied with it."

for details , pl. visit

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/D..._Istakhara.htm

Urdu version:

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/D...khara_Urdu.htm

Sampharo
10-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Just to clarify, yes marriage between cousins or marrying a cousin's son or daughter is allowed and permitted.

However the genetics issue is not foreign to us and actually confirms the 1400 year old wisdom of God when the prophet -pbuh- recommended that we seek husbands and wives outside the family "seek marriage from afar". Modern science confirmed yes that genetic similarilities between cousins increase chances of down's syndrome.

Of course if you are fond of this girl then it's best to go ahead with the marriage, as the prophet's saying "I don't know of a better cure to lovers than marriage." The earlier recommendation was for the Arabs to hear because many families liked to keep the social status and wealth to be shared amongst themselves and repeated it in sequential generations (some were third or fourth generation relative marriage). It shouldn't deter you from your intended match insha Allah.

And God knows best

Muslim Woman
10-20-2009, 10:38 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
... we seek husbands and wives outside the family "seek marriage from afar".
Is there any hadith that says something like , marry your distant relatives ??

Abdul Qadir
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Suggestions from God - Salah tul Istikhara

"Istikhara" means to seek goodness from Allah (Exalted is He), meaning when one intends to do an important task they do istikhara before the task. The one who does the istikhara is as if they request Allah Almighty that, O the Knower of Unseen (Exalted is He) guide me if this task is better for me or not?

"O Allah! I seek goodness from Your Knowledge and with Your Power (and Might) I seek strength, and I ask from You Your Great Blessings, because You have the Power and I do not have the power.

You Know everything and I do not know, and You have knowledge of the unseen. Oh Allah! If in Your Knowledge this action ------------------------------------------------ (which I intend to do) is better for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then make it destined for me and make it easy for me and then add blessings [baraka'] in it, for me.

O Allah! In Your Knowledge if this action is bad for me, bad for my religion and faith, for my life and end [death], for here [in this world] and the hereafter then turn it away from me and turn me away from it and whatever is better for me, ordain [destine] that for me and then make me satisfied with it."

for details , pl. visit

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/D..._Istakhara.htm

Urdu version:

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/D...khara_Urdu.htm
Thanks for the links Sister..Jazakullahu khair..

the istikhara is very interesting...Allah showing his guidance thru intuition. Thats so heartwarming.

Btw, u sent me an urdu link...ur a Pakistani...

Salam

Blackpool
10-20-2009, 11:07 AM
OMG!! Muslimwoman!! i hope what u said is true!! that would save me from a possible "incest" embarrassment from the disbelievers as well!!! someone please confirm her words??? if its true, i wanna marry you muslimwoman!!

Salam...jazaak
Marrying your cousin is incest to non-muslims. If they're your 3rd cousin then that's fine as you're not blood related.

muslimbhai
10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks muslim women!! i found the links useful!! but i have to memorise the Istikhaka dua...its long...insyallah, i will....lol...ur a pakistani...

Blackpool, thanks alot man...im a happy man now Alhamdulillah..

Muslim Woman
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Kadir
.. u sent me an urdu link...ur a Pakistani...
eee not really ; I browsed , found the link and as the OP mentioned that he knows Urdu or he is from Pakistan , I posted both the Eng and Urdu link .

Muslim Woman
10-20-2009, 04:12 PM

.. i have to memorise the Istikhaka dua...its long.....
the meaning is so beautiful and easy to remember. It won't take much time to memorise. Also , to my knowledge , we are allowed to see book while reading dua as this is not a sura from holy Quran. So , pl. don't wait till u can memorise it , start offerring the salat asap. :statisfie

May Allah make it easy for you to take a decision and grant what is good for your hereafter , Ameen.

Abdul Qadir
10-20-2009, 05:20 PM

the meaning is so beautiful and easy to remember. It won't take much time to memorise. Also , to my knowledge , we are allowed to see book while reading dua as this is not a sura from holy Quran. So , pl. don't wait till u can memorise it , start offerring the salat asap. :statisfie

May Allah make it easy for you to take a decision and grant what is good for your hereafter , Ameen.
Sister, thanks...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.