/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Can't give it up

anonymous
10-18-2009, 02:08 PM
:sl:

I have a problem. I can't give up listening to music. Everytime I promise myself I keep falling back, I keep catching myself listening to music. I just can't resist it somehow. I know that it is haraam there is no problem in that front and I'm not denying it.. But brothers and sisters I just don't know how to explain how it feels.. It's like I'm caught and I have to listen to it.

Since this summer I have been trying to become a better muslim. I listen to a lot of lectures and I love listening to the Quran. I try to give people around advices and I warn them from the haraam and tell them to do good. But people call me a hypocrite and I feel like one. Because I'm sinning myself, cause I listen to music..

I don't know what to, I'm soooo scared. I might die while listening to music and never have the chance to repent. I don't know what to do.. And it's not that easy just to give it up.. imsad

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
10-18-2009, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by anonymous
:sl:

I have a problem. I can't give up listening to music. Everytime I promise myself I keep falling back, I keep catching myself listening to music. I just can't resist it somehow. I know that it is haraam there is no problem in that front and I'm not denying it.. But brothers and sisters I just don't know how to explain how it feels.. It's like I'm caught and I have to listen to it.

Since this summer I have been trying to become a better muslim. I listen to a lot of lectures and I love listening to the Quran. I try to give people around advices and I warn them from the haraam and tell them to do good. But people call me a hypocrite and I feel like one. Because I'm sinning myself, cause I listen to music..

I don't know what to, I'm soooo scared. I might die while listening to music and never have the chance to repent. I don't know what to do.. And it's not that easy just to give it up.. imsad
yea they are actually right you are classed as a hypocrite if you warn people not to do such an such a thing when you do it yourself so you have to be careful and not let this become your character also.
I Have had problems in the past where id visit my family and they would have music playing or the x factor on the t.v and id get hooked and the shaytan whispers to you its okay its not a big thing Allah forgives but what you said is totally right you might not get time to repent so isen that a good enough reason to stop it altogether:) all the best

Sampharo
10-18-2009, 04:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
yea they are actually right you are classed as a hypocrite
Astaghferollah sister. Not that much!

Sister, a hypocrit is one who "fakes" believing in something and displays its acts when he is actually harboring the opposite. The Munafeqoon faked belief in God when they actually didn't, and they were promised the deepest pit in hell for it. The brother here is not "faking" that he is pious and tells people to do good deeds, and then in secret he deliberately and gladly commits sins and doesn't do the good deeds himself, while not believing that he will be punished for them.

On the contrary, he is genuine in his beliefs and intentions to advise other people, and KNOWS this is a sin and feels bad about it and regrets it, but is just weak against the habit. That makes him just human making a sin. "ALL of you are sinners, and the best sinners are the repenters" Peace Be Upon You dearest prophet.

Brother Anonymos, even companions commited sins, major ones even like drinking alcohol, so don't beat yourself up. Also don't stop advising your friends and enjoining them on good. That is a great thing to do, and will insha Allah wipe away your other sins and small transgressions "Follow your sin with a good deed to wipe them clean".

Listening to music is a small sin by majority of scholars, but some scholars do not believe that all types of music is a sin considering the associations of old music that take your mind away for hours is not there, and that the prophet -pbuh- lifted Aisha -raa- to watch the Ethipians sing and dance, telling the querying companion "An hour, and an hour" meaning that moderation and allowances are ok.

Based on the scholars who do believe it is a sin, it is a small one, but small sins can become major one if you persist in it and disregard it completely. However, if you constantly feel bad about it, and try to cut it out every now and then, then time will come that God will help you give it up for good and insha Allah you will be forgiven. Just don't give up hope on yourself and don't beat yourself up. The first two names of God are Gracious, and Merciful.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-18-2009, 04:16 PM
your not a hypocrite dont worry

you simply fall weak to sin..

however if i was you i wouldnt condemn what i cant stop doing myself

so work on bettering yourself - and then condemn!

infact i believe if you do it that way - it will make your resolve to quit stronger !

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al Ansari
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
assalaamu 'alaikum sister,

Do not be so hard on yourself. A hypocrite is a strong word. Myself, I listen to music that pertains to Islaam. If it makes me remember Allaah (swt) I will listen to it. However, I will tell you that during Ramadhan, my goal was to completey discard ALL music. Alhamdulilah, the more I stood away from it the easier it became. However, while walking into a store I heard a song playing and the beat was in my head and I could not kick it. As I made salaah, the voice began infiltrating my heart with the words to the song. It was a bad feeling. I just knew then that I had to really try and pray harder and guard myself.

Allaahu akbar

cat eyes
10-18-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Astaghferollah sister. Not that much!

Sister, a hypocrit is one who "fakes" believing in something and displays its acts when he is actually harboring the opposite. The Munafeqoon faked belief in God when they actually didn't, and they were promised the deepest pit in hell for it. The brother here is not "faking" that he is pious and tells people to do good deeds, and then in secret he deliberately and gladly commits sins and doesn't do the good deeds himself, while not believing that he will be punished for them.

On the contrary, he is genuine in his beliefs and intentions to advise other people, and KNOWS this is a sin and feels bad about it and regrets it, but is just weak against the habit. That makes him just human making a sin. "ALL of you are sinners, and the best sinners are the repenters" Peace Be Upon You dearest prophet.

Brother Anonymos, even companions commited sins, major ones even like drinking alcohol, so don't beat yourself up. Also don't stop advising your friends and enjoining them on good. That is a great thing to do, and will insha Allah wipe away your other sins and small transgressions "Follow your sin with a good deed to wipe them clean".

Listening to music is a small sin by majority of scholars, but some scholars do not believe that all types of music is a sin considering the associations of old music that take your mind away for hours is not there, and that the prophet -pbuh- lifted Aisha -raa- to watch the Ethipians sing and dance, telling the querying companion "An hour, and an hour" meaning that moderation and allowances are ok.

Based on the scholars who do believe it is a sin, it is a small one, but small sins can become major one if you persist in it and disregard it completely. However, if you constantly feel bad about it, and try to cut it out every now and then, then time will come that God will help you give it up for good and insha Allah you will be forgiven. Just don't give up hope on yourself and don't beat yourself up. The first two names of God are Gracious, and Merciful.
no i did not call her a hypocrite but if she/he keeps on carrying on the way there going like judging others when she/he is doing wrong themselves then Allah might be so angered that he might put him or her amongest the hypocrites on the day of judgement brother. surely every muslim is aware of this so i am sincerely WARNING her to be careful that she should beware of going down this road. we as muslims should be very fearful of Allah. if we are doing wrong ourselves we should sort ourselves out first and not even dreaming of judging others and what they are doing. its just not right.

happy
10-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Salama Caleykum it's really important to admit ur mistake which you did but remember never give up Allah mercy maybe it's shaydan that wants to make u weak and give up the other good things ur doing. A hypocrit is someone who don't believe something but they are doing for the people and your not munaafaq. Just work hard, repent and never give up cuz that is the only things he wants.

cat eyes
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
some muslims may say its hypocrisy because of the fact we muslims believe music is haraam and Allah hates it the most and we go around all pious and high and mighty warning others not to do while we enter in to our homes and blast the radio up ourselves. yes there is a little hypocrisy in it because we believe that to be haraam but the op has openly admitted her sin so she is clearly not a hypocrite

transition?
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Never never never give up :)!!!! Babies fall 20-40 times a day, but they always try again and again. If babies can keep trying, so can you. Walking doesn't even come easy to a human. It's all a test.
Break it down, make small goals. Baby steps if you have to.
1. Delete songs off your iPod.
2. Find lectures/nasheeds to replace your songs
3. Listen to Nasheeds you enjoy
I personally like Dawud Wharnsby (mashAllah, he has a beautiful voice, better than all the instruments in the world :) and he sings about important topics)
Continue to make du'a that Allah (swt) Gives you Imaan and Strength.
4. Go at it one day at a time. Wake up and think TODAY I'm going to be strong and not listen to music today. Can you do it at least for 24 hours? Yeah you can!
The next day, renew your intentions.
If you fall weak that day, it's not completely over. REPENT ASAP. There isn't a human which sins, then prays 2 rakat for forgiveness and isn't forgiven by Allah (swt).

tango92
10-18-2009, 08:16 PM
go cold turkey, after a while songs will stop playing in your head and you wont need em anymore.
another way to stop is to sing to yourself your favourite tracks when your in the shower thus eliminating need for an ipod. (i actually do this ;D)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.