/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Researching into Domestic violence

mahfuja
10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Assalaamualaikum

Insha'Allah you and your famlies are beaming with immense good Health and Imaan.

A study is being conducted by Mahfuja Ahmed and Morium Ali both final year undergraduate students at Kings College University of London.

We are aiming to develop a project from this primary research, which is based on the views on domestic violence. We are also concerned with the different views and demographics of domestic violence. You will be asked to complete a short questionnaire relating to domestic violence for our better understanding. Please note that your identity will be fully confidential however the information provided may be used for further research or publications.

why DV? because we felt DV is a very hidden topic in our Muslim community and enough people suffer from it but what we lack is showing them how to tackle it in an Islamic perspective. Running for a divorce is hardly a solution to a problem in a marriage [although in some cases its the only option out] ... we want to start a campaign insha'Allah which show our sisters [and maybe brothers not sure about that yet] that there are shoulders for them to lean on ... even if it just means us listening and taking no action ... or if they want Islamic advice we can provide that too ... through holding events/stalls/leafleting etc! we want to be able to provide them with security, give them a sense of hope ...

so much plans/brainstorming going on! nothing is at all set in stone but we would insha'Allah like to establish a charity/organisation but before we do that we want to see the view of the public and by sending out this questionnaire it will bring awareness which is essential! [please keep this in your sincere duaas insha'Allah] :)

If you would kindly help us and are willing to do fill in this questionnaire please send a request email to :

[email removed ] OR [email removed ]

jazakAllah khair

Wa'alaikum assalaam

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Güven
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
:threadapp

mahfuja
10-21-2009, 06:30 PM
^ jazakAllah khair for the thread approval

PM please if you are guys are willing to help insha'Allah

GuestFellow
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
If you want to start up an charity organisation and you live in Britain I would recommend this website. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/

It might come in use.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
10-22-2009, 06:31 PM
We have to help the brothers who are facing the traumas of this issue...:(

mahfuja
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
insha'Allah bro that is the plan!

Cabdullahi
10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Because of junk foods certain women have acquired hormone imbalances and that has changed a few things....it might have been nonsensical some years ago to say that a man could suffer DV but it happens these days women are much stronger and some of them beat up their husbands like doughnuts

mahfuja
10-22-2009, 07:59 PM
ye bro we have been doing research into this and to be frank its hard to for a man to come out and say "I get abused by my wife" because of how it sounds ... people thinking a girl?! but honestly its unfortunate that anyone and everyone can suffer from DV and insha'Allah this is what we want to tackle!

DV is common in our community but remains a silent issue hence we want to create awareness and first get the view of the public by these questionnaires [which no one seems to spend 5 minutes and do!] then take it further into developing a charity insha'Allah.

Tony
10-22-2009, 08:12 PM
DV is not just restricted to physical violence, there are threats both carried out and otherwise, emotional abuse such as being ignored etc, psychological abuse such as being talked down to constantly etc, financial abuse, abuse of familly pets, sexual abuse etc, bullying takes many forms and there are as many women perpertrators as there are men. It is only men that seem to be punished by the law however, and this is probably due to the stigma and ignorance surrounding the issue. This project is like a breath of fresh air and I hope it reaches the acclaim and noteriety it deserves. Peace and respect
Just to add, this is not specific to any particular culture or race, it is affecting us all

mahfuja
10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
agree with all the above! insha'Allah bro keep this project in your duaas

^ would that mean you'll be willing to fill in a questionnaire :) if yes please inbox me your email add and I'll send one across! unfortunately we dont really have much enthuastic bros to contribute to this cause

mahfuja
10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
good article on DV ...

http://vocfm.co.za/blogs/aisha/

mahfuja
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah brothers and sisters,

I am so so sorry to bother you all once again, but.. ONLY THREE people out of this whole forum have actually requested for a questionnaire and filled it up. Brothers and sisters, I do not blame you for not wanting to do this, I understand you all may have busy lives but im not asking for your whole life, just 10 minutes of it. Perhaps your understanding towards this campaign (Insha'Allah) is kind of weak, I don't know what it is that is preventing you but I can assure you, you will be helping our Ummah Insha’Allah.

Unfortunately, it IS a fact that, like many women were undergoing abuse 1400 years ago, they are undergoing abuse TO THIS day as well; be it physical, mental or verbal, Muslim women/men are suffering, and with this one questionnaire, which I am sure all of you Insha’Allah are capable of filling up … the ball can start rolling for this campaign. Together we can help individuals to get out of situations where they feel scared, trapped and oppressed.

I apologise if I am coming out too strong but we are aiming to tackle a serious issue in today’s Ummah and it is quite upsetting that only THREE out of the the thousands of members on this forum have actually got back to me. Remember our Beloved Rasool's s.a.w words where he said, "This ummah is one body, if one part of it is hurt then the whole body feels the pain"

You won’t be able to comprehend how many women, YOUR SISTERS are in their homes right now, in this situation, crying to themselves, unable to cope, unable to speak up, breaking inside, wishing to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry, once again for this long message, but if my words have not yet sunk into you then please still do not ignore this email. Please watch the talk by Imam Khalid Latif (below) insha’Allah … perhaps then you'll understand how deep being a victim of DV actually is.

http://www.vimeo.com/6933430

"what would you do if that woman came up to you tomorrow..are you really ready to talk to her?.." - [K.Latif]

Wa’laikum assalaam

Insha’Allah I’ll hear from the majority [please pm with your email add if you wish to request for a questionnaire]
And if you still choose to ignore this message then please atleast keep this campaign in your duaas. jazakAllah khair for your time and I apologise again if I have caused any offence.

Tony
10-27-2009, 07:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahfuja
Assalamualaikum wa rahmatullah brothers and sisters,

I am so so sorry to bother you all once again, but.. ONLY THREE people out of this whole forum have actually requested for a questionnaire and filled it up. Brothers and sisters, I do not blame you for not wanting to do this, I understand you all may have busy lives but im not asking for your whole life, just 10 minutes of it. Perhaps your understanding towards this campaign (Insha'Allah) is kind of weak, I don't know what it is that is preventing you but I can assure you, you will be helping our Ummah Insha’Allah.

Unfortunately, it IS a fact that, like many women were undergoing abuse 1400 years ago, they are undergoing abuse TO THIS day as well; be it physical, mental or verbal, Muslim women/men are suffering, and with this one questionnaire, which I am sure all of you Insha’Allah are capable of filling up … the ball can start rolling for this campaign. Together we can help individuals to get out of situations where they feel scared, trapped and oppressed.

I apologise if I am coming out too strong but we are aiming to tackle a serious issue in today’s Ummah and it is quite upsetting that only THREE out of the the thousands of members on this forum have actually got back to me. Remember our Beloved Rasool's s.a.w words where he said, "This ummah is one body, if one part of it is hurt then the whole body feels the pain"

You won’t be able to comprehend how many women, YOUR SISTERS are in their homes right now, in this situation, crying to themselves, unable to cope, unable to speak up, breaking inside, wishing to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry, once again for this long message, but if my words have not yet sunk into you then please still do not ignore this email. Please watch the talk by Imam Khalid Latif (below) insha’Allah … perhaps then you'll understand how deep being a victim of DV actually is.

http://www.vimeo.com/6933430

"what would you do if that woman came up to you tomorrow..are you really ready to talk to her?.." - [K.Latif]

Wa’laikum assalaam

Insha’Allah I’ll hear from the majority [please pm with your email add if you wish to request for a questionnaire]
And if you still choose to ignore this message then please atleast keep this campaign in your duaas. jazakAllah khair for your time and I apologise again if I have caused any offence.

BUMP:bump1: Bump for the promotion of zero tolerance in regards to domestic violence

cat eyes
10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tony
DV is not just restricted to physical violence, there are threats both carried out and otherwise, emotional abuse such as being ignored etc, psychological abuse such as being talked down to constantly etc, financial abuse, abuse of familly pets, sexual abuse etc, bullying takes many forms and there are as many women perpertrators as there are men. It is only men that seem to be punished by the law however, and this is probably due to the stigma and ignorance surrounding the issue. This project is like a breath of fresh air and I hope it reaches the acclaim and noteriety it deserves. Peace and respect
Just to add, this is not specific to any particular culture or race, it is affecting us all
couldn't have said it best brother tony

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.