/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Lucozade is it haram?

Tanya Khan
10-20-2009, 10:11 AM
:sl:

I'm feeling really unwell and feverish and i'm sitting at work with coat on, I'm soooooo cold and unwell. No I can't go home as I've enough sick leave in the past... i just want to pop to the shop and buy some lucozade to get some energy back in me. But, I heard its haram, is this true? please tell me its not. :hmm:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tanya Khan
10-20-2009, 01:42 PM
ok so no one knows, that means I can drink it? :nervous:

Fטлку
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
It has 0.01% of Ethyl alcohol. So I'm not sure :hmm:
Check out-
Guardian and
Islamonline

- IqRa -
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Allahu Alim

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema
10-20-2009, 01:56 PM
No, do not do it.If you were starving that is a different story. Make coffe if possible.:)
:wa:

- IqRa -
10-20-2009, 02:26 PM
.........Why?

Muezzin
10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
It has 0.01% of Ethyl alcohol. So I'm not sure :hmm:
Check out-
Guardian and
Islamonline
You posted links saying it is okay to drink and you're not sure?

Anyway, as far better thinkers than I have said, in those links and in print, if the alcohol level is merely a trace, and that trace is not enough to cause intoxication, then yes, the product is allowed to be consumed.

Tanya Khan, it might be good to also have warm drinks, like tea or soup. Get well soon inshallah.

Rasema
10-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Anyway, as far better thinkers than I have said, in those links and in print, if the alcohol level is merely a trace, and that trace is not enough to cause intoxication, then yes, the product is allowed to be consumed.
You have links that contradict eachother. If you get me a link from islamic qa then it would convince me.

Based on?

We're not allowed to pray on a spot that has a bit of alcohol on it.

Fטлку
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
You posted links saying it is okay to drink and you're not sure?
I posted the links so that Tanya can judge for herself. As for me, I'm clueless about this stuff.

Cabdullahi
10-20-2009, 03:38 PM
just drink water its better for you

Fטлку
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM
^ Nah, coffee is better. I use it to treat everything :p :D

aadil77
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
I heard that certain alcohol which arent from grapes or dates are permissable as they do not intoxicate

Principally, if the alcohol is extracted from grapes or dates it is not permissible. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, 'Khamr (wine) is from these two trees, dates and grapes.' (Mishkãt p. 317).

Furthermore, Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, 'Alcohol itself is prohibited and intoxication in every other beverage.' (Hidaaya vol. 4 p. 497).

In view of the abovementioned Hadith, since the alcohol in coke is from ethanol which is fermented from sugar cane mollasses and does not intoxicate, it is permissible. However, if one is doubtful, he may exercise precaution and abstain.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
FATWA DEPT.
but the thing is we don't know where the ethyl alcohol in lucozade is from

aamirsaab
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
If you're ill and you need it, you're allowed it. Islam is nice and simple like that.

Of course, you could go the cheapo route and use your office's water tank dispensor thingy.

mahfuja
10-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Quite a while ago I emailed Lucozade to ask this ... their response was:

>>> Dear Mahfuja

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Halal status of Lucozade and Ribena range of products.

Some of our Lucozade and Ribena products do contain a trace amount of alcohol (ethanol) which is widely used in soft drinks as a carrying agent for flavourings. Alcohol is authorised for use under EU law for this purpose and only tiny amounts of it have to be used (less than 0.1%). This concentration is so low that it can have no intoxicating effect.

In 2004, we submitted information on our Lucozade and Ribena products to the Muslim Law (Shariah) Council UK, describing in detail the specific ingredients, levels of ethanol and processes used in the manufacture of our products. After reviewing the evidence in this report, the Council ruled that Ribena and Lucozade products are Halal for Muslims (June 2004).

As a business we are extremely sensitive to the needs of our consumers and try to address issues as and when they are brought to our attention. We are currently working towards ensuring that wherever possible, we use ingredients and processes that are sensitive to the cultural needs of our consumers.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any further enquiries
Yours sincerely

Consumer Relations <<<

These things always confuse me ... Allahu alam

Muezzin
10-20-2009, 04:53 PM
When in doubt about a matter of Islam, with no access to a physical imam in real life at this precise moment in time, Ask Imam.org.

Please can you verify whether alcohol can be consumed? because as I understand it Alcohol is haraam but yet in March you responded to a question by saying the following and I quote "

1. It is permissible to use alcohol which is not derived from grapes or dates with the following conditions:

a. It is not used as an intoxicant or to an amount which intoxicates

b. It is not used in vain

2. The permissibility and impermissibility will differ from person to person as each person’s level to bear the alcohol without getting intoxicated differs. One should avoid using excessive amounts of Alcohol in cooking if there is a doubt of it intoxicating. If there are alternatives available, then they should be adopted to avoid the chances of alcohol leading to intoxication.

So now this is really confusing, does this mean that we are actually allowed to consume alcohol just not to the point of intoxication. please can you clarify this. because i have always been taught that alcohol is haraam and if you consume alcohol you cannot read quraan or your salaah for 40 days. So I would really appreciate some clarity on this.

Answer

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatuh

As stated in our previous fatwa, alcohol which is derived from grapes and dates cannot be consumed. A single drop of it will be unlawful for consumption and considered impure.

Alcohol made from other sources other than dates and grapes are permissible ONLY with the following conditions.

1. It is not used as an intoxicant or to an amount which intoxicates
2. It is not used in vain.

Alcoholic beverages fall in the category of vain, thus will not be lawful to consume. A small amount from it will also be unlawful and the person drinking it will be committing a sinful act.

Products which contain alcohol as an ingredient for intoxication will fall in the same ruling as alcoholic beverages.

Those products which have the capability to intoxicate will also be unlawful, even if a small amount of consumption does not intoxicate the consumer.

If the alcohol is derived from a source other than grapes and dates and it is not used in vain or as an intoxicant such as the alcohol found in medicines and perfumes, then it will not be unlawful or impure. One may recite the Qur’an and perform salat after using such products. We hope the above clarifies the issue.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Ehzaz Ajmeri,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
Any mistakes I made in this thread are my own.

If anyone is still unsure about the permissibility of a particular beverage, they are not obliged to drink it.

Rasema
10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm just encouraging you not to drink it, that is all.
:wa:

cat eyes
10-20-2009, 06:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan

I'm feeling really unwell and feverish and i'm sitting at work with coat on, I'm soooooo cold and unwell. No I can't go home as I've enough sick leave in the past... i just want to pop to the shop and buy some lucozade to get some energy back in me. But, I heard its haram, is this true? please tell me its not. :hmm:
sounds like your coming down with the flu when i use to work in the early mornings it would be freezing walking to work and id have these problems during the day feeling all shivering and stuff. but don't drink those stupid drinks you never know what they put in them. eat plenty of veg and fruit for your lunch and don't go near those fizzy drinks because the energy dose not last long at all if anything it makes you more weak after a while of drinking you only feel a high for a while and drink coffee instead

zakirs
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Or havent you seen cartoon network during child hood...

DRINK CHICKEN SOUP!!

hehe :)

get well soon sister , since you need it i guess you can drink it since its halal.All the best

Sampharo
10-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Dear Tanya Khan,

The consensus of scholars from the Saudi Council has ratified a study that was made on two fronts: one to review the limits of impermissibility for alocohol consumption, and the other a scientific one to measure alochol content in fruit drinks and non-alcoholic beer which was spread all over Saudi Arabia.

The study was based on the hadith "whatever a lot of which intoxicates, a little is haram" and fiqh agreement, that any drink that consuming a lot of can lead to intoxication, even a sip is a sin. After consulting with scientists and reviewing the description of intoxification in Fiqh, it was found to be a level of 0.11 in the blood. Based on human ability to consume and liver breakdown of alcohol over time, it was found that any drink that has content of alcohol less than 1% will never take a grown man into a level of intoxification no matter how much he drinks, and therefore drinks containing less than 1% have been deemed halal.

Reviewing drinks in the market, it was found that NO JUICE OR NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER exists without trace amounts of ethyl alcohol, ranging between 0.01% to 0.4%. It is a natural process.

This is further affirmed by the fact that Hadith relates that the prophet used to prepare drinks by soaking dates or raisins (called nabith) and drink from them for three days, before throwing out whatever remains, which mean that for sure some alcohol would have formed. Also the prophet used to be given wine, which he would smell and keep for several days open until it turns to vinegar and then use it for food, showing that there is no problem in consuming food that HAD alcohol in it either, even if it used to be intoxicating drinks.

Based on that, Lucozade is absolutely fine and at 0.01% has less alcohol content than regular apple juice from a carton.

And God Knows Best

dovelove
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
hello

Perhaps take honey with hot water, will be good for fever and give u energy too, did you know that most soft drinks have artifical sweetners and caffiene, coffee is addictive as can be soft drinks, hav u ever seen someone get so aggitated when they not had a coffee or a can of cola?

There is so many more beneficial drinks and foods to take when unwell, we will do best to avoid 'junk' when feeling under the weather. Water is good, and its natural and we dont need to question is it halal or not, no hassle nature from the tap or water cooler.

hope u get well soon and keep well inshAllah

GuestFellow
10-21-2009, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tanya Khan

Salaam.

I think you should be taking medicine...does lucozade actually help? O_o

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Find another medicine, there isn't just one medicine in the world.....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.