/* */

PDA

View Full Version : do you believe...?

Ummu Sufyaan
10-20-2009, 10:55 AM
:sl:
non muslims and muslims are welcome to this thread...

do you believe that it has only been in *relatively* recent times that us human beings have advanced in the ways we have and come up with these new inventions, etc. i mean do you believe that we are the first civilization on this earth to discover and advance in this way?

becuase the way i look at it, is that just because we are a more advanced society these days then we were hundred/thousands of years ago. isnt possible that we, as humans, would have learnt new and developed new things in this huge time gap...as humans, we are very intelligent beings and have been on this planet for only God knows how long and it seems weird that it is only now that we have advanced... maybe not in the ways we know it nowadays, but maybe in other ways. for eg building tall structures...surely this isn't something new as we only have to look at the pyramids to know that we weren't the first to structure tall buildings.

i dont know, i just find it strange that in the last 200 yrs (?) we've just suddenly become so advanced. it really does seem bizarre.

from an islamic point of view, is there anything to support my theory...:?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
10-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Greetings,

People have been discovering things throughout human history, which can be viewed as a continuous advance in terms of technology. This advance has moved more quickly during some periods (e.g. often during wartime) and more slowly in others, and there has also been variance from place to place (e.g. the Golden Age of Islamic inventions, while Europe was in the Dark Ages).

I may be speaking from ignorance here, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure that the technological advances of the 20th century have had the most impact on people's lives compared to any other time. I think of my grandmother, whose life spanned the 20th century. When she was growing up, many people had no electricity in their home. By the time she died, the norm was for homes to have electrically powered lighting, kitchen appliances, mobile phones, TVs, internet enabled computers and so on. That represents a huge difference in lifestyle, the like of which I don't think had been seen before. Would someone living in 1700 have had a lifestyle that different from someone in 1600? I doubt it.

Peace

Snowflake
10-20-2009, 12:05 PM
:sl: Over five thousand years ago, the Chinese discovered Qi (chi) a subtle energy which runs through the body. They then identified meridian points as pathways for this energy and it's link with physical and emotional well-being. To me that discovery was more advanced then any modern medicine system in the world today.

If I remember correctly, when the Romans built the Colosseum, they designed the arches so as to reduce the weight on the first story to prevent the building from collapsing.

Anyway, like czgibson said, man has been inventing and discovering things from the beginning of time. It would have been impossible for man in the early days to make what we have today for the simple reason that discovering new things and their properties is a gradual process and one discovery paves the way for another.

But all praise is due to Allah Who gave us the intelligence to survive and to utilise the materials He provided us with. Allahu Akbar.

:wa:

ardianto
10-23-2009, 04:18 AM
If I can go to early of 19th century and live there, one day school kids would know me as inventor of electric motor, washing machine, telephone, car, motorcycle, airplane, etc, etc, etc.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
''Is man, then not aware that it is we who create him out of a mere drop of sperm- whereupon, lo! he showed him-self endowed with power to think and to argue.''

Al qur'an 36:77

Allah has created man advanced since the beginning of times what do you think that they were not building anything in the time of prophet Adam and eve or they didn't know how to talk is that what your saying????

sister be careful what threads you make concerning the creation of Allah because it sounds like your questioning everything

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
^ she simply meant that she pondered over the possibility of the nations of the past having advancements similar to us in a small time gap.

For example the people of Aad were VEEEERY advanced for their time according to the Quran. Its one of the reasons for their arrogance and pride leading to their destruction.

Im certain there were GREATLY ADVANCED civilisations before us. I have no doubt of that.

cat eyes
10-23-2009, 02:37 PM
i don't want to quote her post again but i believe that from her post she said we are the best civilisation and we only became advanced 200hundred years something stupid like this anyway so that to me would suggest that she walks around the earth believing to be better then our ancestors just because it was the will of Allah we live in fancy apartments today and computers and what not our ancestors were more advanced then us and more better then us then we wil ever be. we just live in la la land. and i think this thread should be deleted before it seriously influences people to walk around this earth like we rule it

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2009, 02:42 PM
^ she meant technologically advanced - NOT in terms of piety of course

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I think we're the first technologically advanced civilization on EARTH, not sure about the universe though.

cat eyes
10-23-2009, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
^ she meant technologically advanced - NOT in terms of piety of course
it dose not matter what she mean't its still sounding like we rule the world because of it that we are BOASTING. if it was not for the will of Allah we would not have these things so lets say thanks to Allah and leave at that. i just do not like this kind of talk at all i don't like modern theories of people because it always sounds like we are better at this and we are better at that.

IbnAbdulHakim
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
^ may Allah forgive us and guide us.

humility is something we are slowly losing...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!