/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I need business advice

Snowflake
10-20-2009, 02:34 PM
:sl: I asked a manufacturer in China to send me a sample of a product I want made. They have asked me for $100 to produce it. That's a lot of money for China right?

I told them I expected a sample to be free of cost. They said they are a trading company and therefore have to pay their five designers to design/make the sample. I saw their website and must admit their products really look well made. I told them I'm on a very low budget so they advised me to find a factory who will probably do it cheaper. The advisor said they don't normally do this but suggested it to help me. I sent messages 3 manufacturers who were online after that but they still haven't replied. Doesn't that make them seem unreliable leaving potential clients waiting?

Tbh, I'm so tired, I can't think straight anymore, so I've come to ask for some moral support and advice. Should I persist in my search and get more frustrated waiting for replies. Or should I go with the first company. They did say their products are better quality. But don't trading companies have their goods made in factories too? I'm confused. Any advice how to get things done more effectively please?

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I highly recommend you to not do any business with clients that say they are from china, simply because of reliability issues. I have nothing against chinese or any ethnicity, but online business is far too risky (I have first hand experience :)). Unless you have met in person, I would say forget it.

Don't worry about not getting replies or being turned down - that is part and parcel of the trade. Keep trying; if you need a rest from it, take one. Actually setting up the business is very difficult, especially these first crucial steps - often people forget that. Again though, keep trying. You have to make them believe your product will sell - and that is tough, but if you want to take it seriously, then you gotta push hard.

LEGAL-EAGLE
10-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Salaaam,

Business is about risk...

Theyre asking you for $100, that translates into £50 or so plus western union charges...

Its not exactly much of a risk...so go for it if you think the returns will be worth while if the samples turn out how you expected.

Ask if theyre willing to accept money by paypal or other secure service because if you TT/western union the money, its unsecured and there is nothing to stop them from putting it in their pocket and ignoring the rest of your communications.

Again, its a risk that if you take you may win or lose...and again its not a big risk in the grand scheme of things is it.

If you want to go into business then its something youre going to have to be willing to deal with.

Unless you can find a factory to do it for you here.

Might be more expensive but at least youre protected to some extent.

Hope that helps.

Cabdullahi
10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: I asked a manufacturer in China to send me a sample of a product I want made. They have asked me for $100 to produce it. That's a lot of money for China right?

I told them I expected a sample to be free of cost. They said they are a trading company and therefore have to pay their five designers to design/make the sample. I saw their website and must admit their products really look well made. I told them I'm on a very low budget so they advised me to find a factory who will probably do it cheaper. The advisor said they don't normally do this but suggested it to help me. I sent messages 3 manufacturers who were online after that but they still haven't replied. Doesn't that make them seem unreliable leaving potential clients waiting?

Tbh, I'm so tired, I can't think straight anymore, so I've come to ask for some moral support and advice. Should I persist in my search and get more frustrated waiting for replies. Or should I go with the first company. They did say their products are better quality. But don't trading companies have their goods made in factories too? I'm confused. Any advice how to get things done more effectively please?

Take the risk im telling you this because you seem sure about the product you've done your homework you know what kind of product you wish and that they seem capable of creating the product...so GO for it! but then again its CHINA im not saying they're all tricksters but you are not physically there in case anything happens with your 50 quid

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
10-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Sister , :sl:
you can ask for a part payment system something like you will pay 50% of the money once you receive the goods .That would reduce the risk.And do one thing try to read about background of manufacturer to see if they are reliable or not.or why not call them up see if they really have a proper office in place ? ..

Snowflake
10-20-2009, 11:25 PM
:sl: Thank you everyone. I feel I've got a stronger backbone now. I was worried about having to spend more money if things didn't work out with this company. But, I do have a good feeling about it.

Zakir bhai, thank you for your concern. The company does seem reliable. They are verified members (3rd year) on www.alibaba.com. I will also perform istikhara inshaAllah.

syilla
10-21-2009, 12:57 AM
^^^ukhtee...trading doesn't make lots of profits unless you are doing wholesaling...

i suggest to do services business like car washing, baby sitting, free lance teaching, tailoring (if you don't know how you can always be the third party - find a few of housewives that do the sewing and you just pay them), taking care the elderly people while the children out working, home cooking for the kids that go to school and etc.

or probably we can do business together...and i'll try to find interesting things from Malaysia for you lol :D

Sampharo
10-21-2009, 08:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
:sl: Thank you everyone. I feel I've got a stronger backbone now. I was worried about having to spend more money if things didn't work out with this company. But, I do have a good feeling about it.

Zakir bhai, thank you for your concern. The company does seem reliable. They are verified members (3rd year) on www.alibaba.com. I will also perform istikhara inshaAllah.

Sister, please do not try to enter business with Chinese companies long distance like this. I haven't seen a single person who did this and didn't regret it. Do not be impressed with websites or pictures online, chinese manufacturers and trading companies work on very loose laws of quality that you will almost certainly be disappointed. Most companies that manufacture there successfully fly there and negotiate specific engineering standards that they know and commit the producers in solid contracts. This $100 though a small amount to risk, is a high amount for a sample, I agree, but it depends on what you're ordering. If it's fabrics or simple products, you should get it for free. I got mobile phone samples for less than a $100.

Second, There are those who charge payment for sample and send nothing but worthless junk that had nothing to do with what they advertised. Don't like it? Tough, there is no authority or person to object to efficiently when dealing with Chinese. For every real company there are 8 or 9 loading on just junk and doing business on well-meaning buyers and sample orders. It is annoying because you're waiting for something to work with and it really blows your enthusiasm out of the water when you get trash. You feel stupid and your money and time wasted and think you can't make it in business if this is what's out there.

Third, alibaba.com is fraud central station, what caution you use outside needs to be 10 times multiple for any contact coming from inside that website. The authentication that Alibaba does is nothing more than address and real office or not.

What one of my close successful friends here in Malaysia did and advises that I do, was research the market over an established product similar to what he wanted, scoured around to find who traded it successfully out of china, contacted them for what he wanted (reliable company that already has a product present) and after doing several business deals and generating profits, he used the money he made to fly to Hong Kong, and dig through them to a reliable manufacturer in china to make what he wanted, later on to establish a direct connection to a reliable chinese manufacturer. He told me finding the decent manufacturer like that is not easy, and for a foreigner they will most certainly take you for a big ride. Please note that he is Malaysian of a chinese origin, so he has the advantage of language and race to help.

Good luck

Snowflake
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
^^^ukhtee...trading doesn't make lots of profits unless you are doing wholesaling...

i suggest to do services business like car washing, baby sitting, free lance teaching, tailoring (if you don't know how you can always be the third party - find a few of housewives that do the sewing and you just pay them), taking care the elderly people while the children out working, home cooking for the kids that go to school and etc.

or probably we can do business together...and i'll try to find interesting things from Malaysia for you lol :D
:sl: my dear sis,

I am usually wary of being partners in business with anyone lol. Not necessarily because of trust, but conflicts. But inshaAllah, I will consider it in the future. But of course it will depend on whether there is a demand for what you're thinking. :)

The work you mentioned is fine as jobs but you can't make a business out of it, unless you can employ people to do it. It doesn't appeal to me anyway. I have already designed and produced a few products. I only turned to China for mass production. We'll see what happens sis. Please make special dua for me please sis. May Allah reward you. Ameen

format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Sister, please do not try to enter business with Chinese companies long distance like this. I haven't seen a single person who did this and didn't regret it. Do not be impressed with websites or pictures online, chinese manufacturers and trading companies work on very loose laws of quality that you will almost certainly be disappointed. Most companies that manufacture there successfully fly there and negotiate specific engineering standards that they know and commit the producers in solid contracts. This $100 though a small amount to risk, is a high amount for a sample, I agree, but it depends on what you're ordering. If it's fabrics or simple products, you should get it for free. I got mobile phone samples for less than a $100.

Second, There are those who charge payment for sample and send nothing but worthless junk that had nothing to do with what they advertised. Don't like it? Tough, there is no authority or person to object to efficiently when dealing with Chinese. For every real company there are 8 or 9 loading on just junk and doing business on well-meaning buyers and sample orders. It is annoying because you're waiting for something to work with and it really blows your enthusiasm out of the water when you get trash. You feel stupid and your money and time wasted and think you can't make it in business if this is what's out there.

Third, alibaba.com is fraud central station, what caution you use outside needs to be 10 times multiple for any contact coming from inside that website. The authentication that Alibaba does is nothing more than address and real office or not.

What one of my close successful friends here in Malaysia did and advises that I do, was research the market over an established product similar to what he wanted, scoured around to find who traded it successfully out of china, contacted them for what he wanted (reliable company that already has a product present) and after doing several business deals and generating profits, he used the money he made to fly to Hong Kong, and dig through them to a reliable manufacturer in china to make what he wanted, later on to establish a direct connection to a reliable chinese manufacturer. He told me finding the decent manufacturer like that is not easy, and for a foreigner they will most certainly take you for a big ride. Please note that he is Malaysian of a chinese origin, so he has the advantage of language and race to help.

Good luck
:sl: Akhi - This new information has totally shocked me. SubhanAllah. Initially I had decided to to go China myself to see everything, test the materials and secure a deal etc. But that required borrowing money.. something I try to avoid if I can. I know there is truth in what you said. But I just have to take the risk with the sample. However, I will only place an order if 1. I secure an order with a wholesaler 2. They agree to let me pay after receiving shipment. I remember seeing on Dragon's Den that companies can do this if you can show them a credit note.

I will ask again for your advices before taking any major steps inshaAllah. :)

Please make dua for me inshaAllah. Jazakumullahu khayrun all.

:ws:

Sampharo
10-21-2009, 12:20 PM
^ May God make your endeavours fruitful. They may not accept post-payment, but at least insist on online credit card or paypal or bank draft, not Western Union, that's a straight rip-off.

PM if you have more questions about that. I'll try to help insha Allah.

Snowflake
10-21-2009, 12:51 PM
:sl: Ameen, and you bro, ameen.

That might explain why some traders only accept western union payments. JazakAllah for the warnings brother. I really appreciate your help, hamdulillah.

I need a break. I will PM you the company profile later inshaAllah.

zakirs
10-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Yeah i forgot to add this 100$ in asia is a LOT! .. i could live a whole 3 weeks on it ..

So , be careful ;)

Snowflake
10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
:sl: ^I know bhai, it's amazing they're asking for that much. People aren't clever and happily tell them how happy they are to get cheap goods from China, so they put their prices up. But, I just got a reply from a UK firm. They want 500 pounds for a sample. :eek:

.........Ltd' will limit the costs of the sample to a maximum of £500 per product. A deposit of £250 becomes payable on placement of the initial brief. Shipping will be charged at cost. If the brief is changed substantially during the development process further charges may apply. All fees related to the development of sound modules would be payable by yourselves.

Allah will help inshaAllah.

zakirs
10-21-2009, 06:17 PM
The best thing would be to call them up and ask those people in china to give some method of assurance for you like 50% payment or some method by which money can be paid once the things arrve...

Why dont you try suppliers in India :P ?

Snowflake
10-22-2009, 07:56 AM
:sl: ^Maybe they will think I won't be able to pay for the order if I'm hesitating to pay for the sample. I'm talking with a UK firm at the moment. Allah will guide me inshaAllah. :)

Why India? :P

It's just as worrying as Pakistan lol ;D

cat eyes
10-22-2009, 02:55 PM
i suggest you forget about some of the negative responses of some of the brothers and sisters here. i hate when anybody wants to do something and people say oh no you should not do this and you should not do that and blah blah blah so at least if something dose happen lets say and the others are right so at least you wont make that same mistake again and will give you more experience so i suggest you keep on continuing what your doing and don't be put off just because others were not successful at it! it will just put you off and i do sometimes wonder is that the only intention people have to put people off because of jealousy or whatever or because of the fact your a woman. people can be narrow minded so i would not be put off and keep on trying.

zakirs
10-22-2009, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i suggest you forget about some of the negative responses of some of the brothers and sisters here. i hate when anybody wants to do something and people say oh no you should not do this and you should not do that and blah blah blah so at least if something dose happen lets say and the others are right so at least you wont make that same mistake again and will give you more experience so i suggest you keep on continuing what your doing and don't be put off just because others were not successful at it! it will just put you off and i do sometimes wonder is that the only intention people have to put people off because of jealousy or whatever or because of the fact your a woman. people can be narrow minded so i would not be put off and keep on trying.
:sl:
Though i accept that people might be putting of Scents of Jannah sis we are just giving our thoughts and i am pretty sure she is intelligent enough to take her own decision .I personally just advised her because i wanted good to happen to her.I hope others had the same thoughts too.I am sort of hurt by your post.

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
See if you can find someone locally, that would be ideal.

mariyyah
10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Assalamou alaikoum sister scene of jannah ,

Could you please pm me your email and what business do you want to do i might be a good help for you because i have a business background

Snowflake
10-23-2009, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl: Sis I think you've misunderstood. I believe everyone who warned me did it with the best of intentions and even through their/others bad experiences. I never for a split second felt anyone felt jealous. And, Hamdulillah, nothing can turn me away from what I want to do except by the will of Allah. Please don't worry. I do appreciate your concern. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Though i accept that people might be putting of Scents of Jannah sis we are just giving our thoughts and i am pretty sure she is intelligent enough to take her own decision .I personally just advised her because i wanted good to happen to her.I hope others had the same thoughts too.I am sort of hurt by your post.
:sl: Don't take it personally brother. I know you said what you did for my best interests. That's what counts.

format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
See if you can find someone locally, that would be ideal.
:sl: JazakAllahu khayr. I did that. But they only act as middle-men for the foreign companies. Therefore a direct contact with a foreign is better inshaAllah.

format_quote Originally Posted by mariyyah
Assalamou alaikoum sister scene of jannah ,

Could you please pm me your email and what business do you want to do i might be a good help for you because i have a business background
:sl: I thank you for your kind offer dear ukhti. Sadly, I have to refuse as I am already benefiting from the advice and experience of a kind bro here. May Allah reward you all. Ameen

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Make dua to Allah (SWT).

Snowflake
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
^:)

May Allah reward you. Ameen.

zakirs
10-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Don't take it personally brother. I know you said what you did for my best interests. That's what counts.
Waleikum salaam sis ,,

No i didn't take it personally , thanks for caring .It was just my way of writing.

Nice to know you have your problem solved.

Snowflake
10-25-2009, 12:48 PM
:sl: MashaAllah, Zakir bhai. That's good. And yes thanks to Allah, Exalted be He, I'm getting there slowly. But it's so tiring spending so much time on the net lol. Hamdulillah, I can pop in to IB to get away from it all. Please keep me in your duaas. May Allah reward you. Ameen.

cat eyes
10-26-2009, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
sorry brother it was not against you in anyway. you always give good advice to members on the forum :) sorry:embarrass

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.