/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Call to Sanity

Eliphaz
10-21-2009, 12:48 PM
When Islam came to the Arabian Peninsula in 7th century AD, it was a call not only to guidance but a call to sanity. I feel somewhere along the way, many of our fellow Muslims have allowed their anger over prejudice, persecution and marginalisation to cloud their sanity.

One need only read a single placard being waved by well-intentioned (?) yet ultimately stupid Muslims in recent protests to see what I am saying:

“Freedom go to hell”
“Slay those who insult Islam”
“Europe you will pay your demolition is on its way”
“Europe you pay your extermination is on its way”
“Behead those who mock Islam”
“Butcher those who mock Islam”
“Be prepared for the real holocaust!” :omg:

and most recently:

“Kill Geert Wilders!!!”

Now, living in the U.K I have never met any Muslim who agrees with these sentiments, these people are clearly in the minority. My question is - how can we educate these Muslims? The issue is beyond them being “reactionaries” – there is nothing wrong in principle to "reacting" to injustice - this is in fact imperative. I am not for one second suggesting Muslims should allow themselves to be walked all over by the right-wing media and politicians - but it is simply a case of how we react, which is not only playing into the hands of the right-wing media and political parties, but it is more importantly against the example of the Prophet (pbuh).

One need only remember the story of the old Jewish woman who threw rubbish on the Prophet (pbuh) every day as he walked to the mosque (not just drawing cartoons or making films). He tolerated this with patience, without showing and anger or annoyance. Then one day when he passed the woman was not there to throw the rubbish, so the Prophet (pbuh) asked where she was. When he found out she was sick he asked to see her and make sure she was being taking care of, saying that if any one is sick, a Muslim should visit him and should help him if his help is needed.

So my question is, what can we Muslims do to call these brothers and sisters back to the true Islamic character and the patience and presence of mind which we are commanded to observe in the face of adversity? I somehow get the feeling these people don't attend the same talks we do, let alone talks in general. We are always so focussed on the outer threats but we never seem to want to get our own Ummah sorted.

Surely Allah will not change our condition until we change ourselves...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-21-2009, 01:48 PM
:threadapp

noorseeker
10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
People just get angry at anything and everything, We dont let things slide, We gota react to everything.

Muslims always will get attacked, if we fight against everybad word someone says about islam, we wont have time for anything else

Eliphaz
10-23-2009, 04:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
People just get angry at anything and everything, We dont let things slide, We gota react to everything.

Muslims always will get attacked, if we fight against everybad word someone says about islam, we wont have time for anything else
Exactly.

We need to recognise which battles are worth fighting and which things are just not worth getting fired up about, and worse still, losing our sanity over. :hmm:

But furthermore there are those who are carrying on with these ridiculous slogans in the name of Islam, in the name of love of the Prophet, when the Prophet would be ashamed at the sight of these ridiculous uneducated people.

These people are not terrorists, they are just people who need help, and it is my opinion that it is better that it comes from within the community than from Big Brother.

I am sad and surprised that so few people here seem to find it a problem worth finding answers to.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
and most recently:

“Kill Geert Wilders!!!”
I'd rather send him to a decent hairdresser.

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Nice post, I can't agree more.

GuestFellow
10-23-2009, 10:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_21:30

One need only read a single placard being waved by well-intentioned (?) yet ultimately stupid Muslims in recent protests to see what I am saying:

“Freedom go to hell”
“Slay those who insult Islam”
“Europe you will pay your demolition is on its way”
“Europe you pay your extermination is on its way”
“Behead those who mock Islam”
“Butcher those who mock Islam”
“Be prepared for the real holocaust!” :omg:

and most recently:

“Kill Geert Wilders!!!”
:sl:

It is embarrassing and shameful. Some of the comments above really do worry me.

My question is - how can we educate these Muslims?
They need to learn more about their religion and learn how to remain calm. Getting all angry is not going to achieve anything at all. When a situation arises where someone insults Islam or the Prophet, we should first ignore it. The more we react the more publicity it gets...as Woodrow said, ''silence is a loud weapon.'' ;)

So my question is, what can we Muslims do to call these brothers and sisters back to the true Islamic character and the patience and presence of mind which we are commanded to observe in the face of adversity?
I'm not entirely sure....

Eliphaz
10-25-2009, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I'd rather send him to a decent hairdresser.
Lol. Exactly! The guy calls Islam backwards, when look at his haircut, it's like something from medieval times! Brylcream needs to sponsor this guy, they'd make... well, nothing at all, considering most of his followers probably have skinheads.

But seriously, someone amongst the well-educated people in this forum must be able to think of ONE way we can knock - excuse me - put some sense into these mindless protestors? I think the catch 22 is how can educate someone who believes they are right and doesn't attend talks about Islam?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.