/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Goin' Bananas!!

Beardo
10-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Please eat bananas the miracle fruit
Interesting!

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said the expression 'going bananas' is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on:

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!
This is interesting.
After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A banana a day keeps the doctor away!'

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
AlHoda
10-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Subbanllh, one of the many creations of Allah 'The Banana' :)

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
:sl:

i always used to put the bananas in the refrigerator after 2 days of purchase..

((typical indian i guess...any n everything goes in the refrigerator:hiding:))

Ansariyah
10-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I love Bananas so much..I'm a monkey!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema
10-23-2009, 01:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
I love Bananas so much..I'm a monkey!
^o)
Do not love them too much.

Prunes; apricots; apples; raisins and bananas can all increase gas especially if eaten in conjunction with grains and other foods.EWWWWWW:hmm: ;D
Destroys wudu.

Woodrow
10-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Don't forget the bananas cousin Plantain. Plantains have all the benefits of bananas but have to be cooked. You can use them anyway you would use a potato. Be certain you get ripe ones to be ripe they need to be almost all black on the skin.

When available we get them instead of potatoes. Fortunately most of the stores up here think they are going bad when they turn black so we usually find the best ones in the reduced price fruit section.

~Raindrop~
10-23-2009, 02:27 PM
salaam
lol yum yum i love bananas. plus, my mum thinks they decrease weariness :?
think i'll stock up, then take them into school and fill the staff room lol
wassalaam

ardianto
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Alhamdulillah, in Indonesia banana is cheap. :statisfie

Re.TiReD
10-23-2009, 02:53 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

A banana a day
Keeps misery at bay :statisfie

It really does help ones mood ya know, I eat one a day for breakfast and looook :D :D

OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM
bannanas are my favorite fruit :)

Soulja Girl
10-23-2009, 02:54 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
Prunes; apricots; apples; raisins and bananas can all increase gas especially if eaten in conjunction with grains and other foods.EWWWWWW:hmm: ;D
Destroys wudu.
^The more wudhu you do, the better for youuu, washes all your minor sins away =]

Anyway... Good thread :thumbs_up

:wa:

Woodrow
10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Sadly here in the USA most people are only aware of one variety of banana the "Cavendish" and in most areas of the US it is the only one available. To those who have access to other varieties, do not miss trying them. Each variety has a unique flavor. I am partial towards the tiny finger bananas.

~Raindrop~
10-23-2009, 03:16 PM
i also think the smallest ones are sweetest lol especially the spotty ones

i have no idea of the names of different types though :?

Woodrow
10-23-2009, 04:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
i also think the smallest ones are sweetest lol especially the spotty ones

i have no idea of the names of different types though :?
there are about 1,200 varieties. Check this out:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/481921

~Raindrop~
10-23-2009, 06:01 PM
^^wow!! jazakallah for that bro
Allah SWT is amazing :D

Cabdullahi
10-23-2009, 06:08 PM
i add banana to everything........i eat it with rice and chicken curry....spaghetti.....macaroni.....i add it to the weetabix...........sometimes to my killer potion

which is raw oats....milk and whey protein to give me calories of 800

Woodrow
10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
^^wow!! jazakallah for that bro
Allah SWT is amazing :D
the more you learn about bananas the more Amazing we find Allaah(swt) to be. It is probably the most wide spread fruit in the world and one of the most nutritious. Going even further the entre plant has uses as building material, cooking utensils, fodder for domestic live stock, an abundance of food for wildlife and much more.

GuestFellow
10-23-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't like bananas >_>

I like cherries.

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-23-2009, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Don't forget the bananas cousin Plantain. Plantains have all the benefits of bananas but have to be cooked.
Thats true! i love 'green plantains' when sliced very thin & fried with a dash of salt at the end...:rolleyes:

To those who have access to other varieties, do not miss trying them. Each variety has a unique flavor.
Right, all of em have diff. flavour. insha'Allah i'll share few pics. from our backyard with the varieties of bananas we grow ((when its in season:D))

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I like cherries.
The cherries we have here is sour:skeleton: we only use it to make juice. it can work gud to make pickle:p:

Rasema
10-23-2009, 09:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Lady

^The more wudhu you do, the better for youuu, washes all your minor sins away =]

Anyway... Good thread :thumbs_up

True sister
Haki or hak akhi.

Ansariyah
10-23-2009, 09:19 PM
^o)
Do not love them too much.

[/B]
why not is it haram? :p: jk

Rasema
10-23-2009, 09:22 PM
why not is it haram? :p: jk
:enough!:
Too much it is. he he he ....

Re.TiReD
10-23-2009, 09:31 PM
lol I could swear I just saw a 'banana purchase' add up there ^^^ :skeleton:

Ansariyah
10-23-2009, 09:49 PM
:enough!:
Too much it is. he he he ....
I hate banana shakes tho...not to mention its all artificial addings n food colourings blah.

But a banana on its own..ahh thats Heaven:p:

Rasema
10-23-2009, 10:02 PM
I hate banana shakes tho...not to mention its all artificial addings n food colourings blah.

But a banana on its own..ahh thats Heaven:p:
Ha ha ha
True :wub:. I like pears a lot.

Rasema
10-23-2009, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
lol I could swear I just saw a 'banana purchase' add up there ^^^ :skeleton:
;D;D;D;D
haHAHAHAHA

Ansariyah
10-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Ha ha ha
True :wub:. I like pears a lot.
My mom loves peers...:wub:
I like cherries wen they're reallly sweet.

GuestFellow
10-23-2009, 10:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujaheedah
The cherries we have here is sour:skeleton: we only use it to make juice. it can work gud to make pickle:p:

I like anything sour. ;)

Even lemons.

Beardo
10-24-2009, 12:26 AM

I like anything sour. ;)

Even lemons.
Ever tried lemons with sugar? Just dip it in sugar and eat it. MMMM!!

Lemon Chutney is not bad either.

Lemons in anything is good. LEMONADEEE!

But Sour things aren't good for the memory. >:(

GuestFellow
10-24-2009, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
Ever tried lemons with sugar? Just dip it in sugar and eat it. MMMM!!

Lemon Chutney is not bad either.

Lemons in anything is good. LEMONADEEE!

But Sour things aren't good for the memory. >:(
I actually ate the entire lemon with the zest on...for a dare. =/

Beardo
10-24-2009, 01:25 AM
I actually ate the entire lemon with the zest on...for a dare. =/
Very smart, brother. Very smart indeed. >_> How was it?

The hardest food dare is eating a chilli. I don't mean jalapenos. Jalepenos are like sweets to me.

GuestFellow
10-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Very smart, brother. Very smart indeed. >_> How was it?
Very chewy...sour. Oh I got a stomachache for a couple of hours.

The hardest food dare is eating a chilli. I don't mean jalapenos. Jalepenos are like sweets to me.
:skeleton: How was it?

Beardo
10-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Very chewy...sour. Oh I got a stomachache for a couple of hours.

:skeleton: How was it?
I never did that dare. I'm not courageous enough.

I eat jalapenos like mithai though. :X And my ghora friends just stare silently, in shock...

Ermm... I don't like stomachaches. Especially when someone else is in the house and you gotta make loud noises. :X

Woodrow
10-24-2009, 01:40 AM

I eat jalapenos like mithai though. :X And my ghora friends just stare silently, in shock...

Ermm... I don't like stomachaches. Especially when someone else is in the house and you gotta make loud noises. :X
Jalapenos are baby food. Try habeneros The most I have ever been able to eat in a row is 2

Beardo
10-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Jalapenos are baby food. Try habeneros The most I have ever been able to eat in a row is 2
:X I didn't know they were called that. Those are SUPER spicy. :X I can't touch those.

I can eat spicy salsa like soup though. :X

Hmm... Grandfather, do you eat curry? Like Pakistani/Indian food?

Woodrow
10-24-2009, 02:13 AM
:X I didn't know they were called that. Those are SUPER spicy. :X I can't touch those.

I can eat spicy salsa like soup though. :X

Hmm... Grandfather, do you eat curry? Like Pakistani/Indian food?
When I lived with my Daughter all we ate was Pakistani food. It is hard to find any here but I did find an Asian store in Fargo that stocks many Pakistani spice mixes and curries. I'll be stocking up on my next trip to Fargo.

The hottest chilies I ever ate were little tiny purple ones from Vietnam,a lot hotter than habeneros, the hottest daily food I ever ate was Thai.

I lived in Mexico a few times and find Mexican food to be mild.

Beardo
10-24-2009, 02:16 AM
When I lived with my Daughter all we ate was Pakistani food. It is hard to find any here but I did find an Asian store in Fargo that stocks many Pakistani spice mixes and curries. I'll be stocking up on my next trip to Fargo.

The hottest chilies I ever ate were little tiny purple ones from Vietnam,a lot hotter than habeneros, the hottest daily food I ever ate was Thai.

I lived in Mexico a few times and find Mexican food to be mild.
Mexican food is close to Desi food, I think.

Have you ever eaten Chicken Tikka Masala? Doesn't it give you stomach problems? :X I mean, Biryani occasionally gives me major issues...

Woodrow
10-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Mexican food is close to Desi food, I think.

Have you ever eaten Chicken Tikka Masala? Doesn't it give you stomach problems? :X I mean, Biryani occasionally gives me major issues...
For some reason I have never had anything I eat give me a stomach ache. I do like Chicken Tikka Masala, although it reminds me of Popeyes Fried Chicken. Biryani is ok, is good. My son-in-law did most of the cooking when I lived with my dauhter. He used to put a lot of serrano chiles in the Biryani. One day I brought a bag of habeneros home, he had never seen them and decided to try them in the biryani. He chopped up about 12 and mixed them in. It was the first thing I ever had that was too spicy for me to eat.

I just realized most people here probably do not know what a habenero is, here is a link about them:

http://www.tropicalhotsauce.com/habaneropepper.html

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-24-2009, 10:51 AM
I like anything sour. ;)
Even lemons.
We have alot of sour fruits here in South America. But we use them mostly to make juice.:sunny:

Ever tried lemons with sugar?
We use lemon juice with tons of sugar to make a thick syrup when we have an itchy throat, it really helps alot!:sunny:

I just realized most people here probably do not know what a habenero is.
Thats what my mom uses to make hot pepper sauce, she also adds lemon peel to it.:heated:

GuestFellow
10-24-2009, 10:57 AM

I'm gonna try eating a green chili...when I get bored.

Loud noises? :skeleton:

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm gonna try eating a green chili...when I get bored.
Loud noises? :skeleton:

:omg:U shud have a bottle of honey at hand too......gud luck:hiding:

P.S. Let us know the outcome of it..:hiding:

ardianto
10-24-2009, 02:27 PM
Sadly here in the USA most people are only aware of one variety of banana the "Cavendish" and in most areas of the US it is the only one available. To those who have access to other varieties, do not miss trying them. Each variety has a unique flavor. I am partial towards the tiny finger bananas.
There are many varieties of bananas in Indonesia, but the only variety that exported to foreign countries is "Cavendish".

Actually, "Cavendish" is not the most popular banana variety in Indonesia. The most popular is "Ambon".
But, "Cavendish" and "Ambon" are not my favorites, my favorite is "Raja Bulu" (feather king). Unfortunately, is not easy to find "Raja Bulu" in the market.

I don't know how price of banana in Europe or America. In Indonesia the price is around US$ 0.2 - US$ 0.4 per kilo, depend on variety. But "Cavendish" has special price, US$ 0.9 per kilo.

~Raindrop~
10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
75p a bunch when im lucky :D

Woodrow
10-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Up here in ND the price of them is usually $.49 to $.69 pe pound that would be about $1.10 to $1.50 per kilo in the more Southern State they are as low as 10 cents per pound even lower if they have brown spots.

ardianto
10-25-2009, 03:51 AM
The main problem in selling bananas is its maturity. Many varieties of bananas are mature too fast. Of course, a buyer will not buy banana that begin to rotten and cannot wait until Thursday for eat banana that bought on Sunday.

But I see, Cavendish is different, its 'ready to eat period' is longer. And another plus point of Cavendish is its skin, cleaner than other varieties. I think this is an answer why 80% of exported bananas is Cavendish.

Actually, Cavendish is not the most delicious banana. Few other varieties are more sweet, more delicious.

OurIslamic
10-25-2009, 04:41 AM
Why would we need help with a hangover? :p

Soulja Girl
10-25-2009, 07:51 AM

75p a bunch when im lucky :D
^27p beat thaaat! :ooh:

Woodrow
10-25-2009, 02:39 PM
I am curious now. How many ways can bananas and plantains be prepared? (I include plantains, because most people see them as being oversized bananas) This is assuming if you have access to a wide variety. Why don't we try listing some recipes? I'll start:

1. Peel them and eat them

2. From India

PAKORA

Ingredients:

2 Ripe Bananas
1 cup Besan Flour
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder (Lal mirch)
1/2 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
A pinch of Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
2 cup Refined Oil for deep frying
As required Salt (Namak)
A pinch of Baking Powder

How to make banana pakora:

* Slice the bananas into roundels.
* In a basin add the besan flour, turmeric powder, salt, baking powder,red chilly powder and the asafoetida.
* Mix thoroughly.
* Add a little water to make a batter which is neither too thick nor too thin.
* The batter should be of pouring consistency.
* Add the banana slices to the batter so that the banana roundels are coated by the batter.
* Heat the oil in a kadai and deep fry the bananas till they are golden brown in colour.
* Drain the bananas and remove.
* Serve hot.

If you can not find Asafoetida, you can use powdred garlic. The taste is similar.

I sometimes cook plantains like that. I prefer the plantains as they make for a crispy pakora.

~Raindrop~
10-25-2009, 02:42 PM
^^wow.
id never heard of banana pakora before.
i think i'll give it a try...just as soon as i get my hands on some Asafoetida (Hing):?
lol

Woodrow
10-25-2009, 02:49 PM
^^wow.
id never heard of banana pakora before.
i think i'll give it a try...just as soon as i get my hands on some Asafoetida (Hing):?
lol
I edited the post. You can use garlic powder instead. Asafoetida is hard to find unless you have access to a good Asian market.

~Raindrop~
10-25-2009, 02:54 PM
lol i live near the Balti Triangle but iv never heard of it :D
will try garlic powder inshallah

~ Sabr ~
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Jazaak Allaah Khayr

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.