/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Honor Killings... lies, **** lies and statistics

MuslimAgorist
10-23-2009, 07:07 PM
To help my own understanding I like to check footnotes and crunch numbers. You've all heard it right? It's all over the blogosphere. It's in all the Rifqa Bary articles. Atlas Shrugs knows it. Jihad Watch knows it. The United Nations Population Fund estimates that 5,000 Muslim women are victims of honor killings annually. Wow! That's a major problem.

Let's start with the footnote.

UNFPA: Chapter 3: Ending Violence against Women and Girls

"Throughout the world, perhaps as many as 5,000 women and girls a year are murdered by members of their own families, many of them for the "dishonour" of having been raped, often as not by a member of their own extended family."

It's not 5,000 Muslim honor killings. It's 5,000 women and girls murdered by members of their own family. Huge difference! Women murdered in America would be included as part of that statistic. "Many" of them are honor killings. Not "most," but "many." The report does say the majority of honor killings are in Muslim majority countries, but makes no estimate as to how many that is. I'm not trying to diminish the issue, just refine the statistics. Honor killings are a major problem.

Now, let's give it some perspective.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...and-statistics

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
OurIslamic
10-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's quite bad.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.