/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Afghan protest over 'burnt Koran'

GuestFellow
10-25-2009, 03:20 PM
There have been protests in the Afghan capital, Kabul, over allegations that foreign troops in the country burnt a copy of the Koran.

^ Click on the link to read the article.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
nocturnal
10-26-2009, 01:51 AM
I saw a report about this in the news. The Americans are claiming that it's propaganda being spread by the Taliban to foment trouble. I don't quite understand why they'd do something like that when they've pretty much got most of the country outside Kabul and certain parts of Helmand under control anyway. Or maybe this is just a case of false hearsay that spreads and quickly gains momentum. Or possibly even a sinister attempt to influence the run-off polls between Abdullah and Karzai, you never know. In Afghanistan, anything is possible.

Rasema
10-26-2009, 02:13 AM
:sl:
Kuffis can do whatever they want, they won't do it as long as they'd like.
:wa:

nocturnal
10-26-2009, 02:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rasema
:sl:
Kuffis can do whatever they want, they won't do it as long as they'd like.
:wa:
Yes, but why would they undermine their already beleagured position in Afghanistan. They're stranded in what is essentially an intracatable, unwinnable war with no exit strategy. They have scant credibility with the Afghan populace and are facing a ferocious and sustained insurgency by the Taliban. Unless this was something that happened among some lower-ranking troops in the US military and their superiors are trying to cover it up by ascribing blame to the Taliban for propagating rumours.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Rasema
10-26-2009, 02:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nocturnal
Yes, but why would they undermine their already beleagured position in Afghanistan. They're stranded in what is essentially an intracatable, unwinnable war with no exit strategy. They have scant credibility with the Afghan populace and are facing a ferocious and sustained insurgency by the Taliban. Unless this was something that happened among some lower-ranking troops in the US military and their superiors are trying to cover it up by ascribing blame to the Taliban for propagating rumours.
Because they can. My response applied to everybody. Do I seem like a politisian to you? I didn't even watch the clip.

Woodrow
10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
There is no reason to doubt the incident happened. The question should be "Why would such a thing happen?"

this does not nor will it ever serve the interest of the occupiers. It does not seem logical that any policy would order or desire such an act. This can only worsen the situation for troops who have no desire to be in Afghanistan..

The most logical answer would be it is individuals acting out of either ignorance or blind, stupid hatred.

titus
10-26-2009, 07:31 PM
There is no reason to doubt the incident happened
Other than the fact that NATO and local authorities all say things to the contrary? There is plenty of reason to doubt.

If this did happen it was the act of isolated, immature soldiers and the reaction of the Afghanis is uncalled for. They have much more important things to be doing with their time. No wonder the Taliban can recruit people when they can be distracted by something that is, in the big scheme of things, trivial and unproven.

Alphadude
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
it could be taliban spreading the that propaganda is being spread by the Taliban or it could be america doing this who knows

GuestFellow
10-26-2009, 08:16 PM
It is pretty much what khalid84 said. I don't know what happened.

Wyatt
10-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Either way, even if a Qur'an were burned, it's no reason to protest. People may feel defensive, but they should brush it off knowing that Allah probably cares more about the safety and control of the people than a print of the holy book.

If something like that didn't get to people so personally, you wouldn't have insults left and right making Muslims look bad [via the media] by reacting so much.

I think it's likely that it's propaganda, but really wouldn't be surprised if it actually happened. Americans can be extremely dense and ignorant, and a lot of the times, that's why they join the army in the first place.

To me, a set of priorities needs to be straightened out.

On both sides.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.