/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam Vs Friends

AnonymousPoster
10-25-2009, 03:24 PM
i've got these 2 frends that im really close to we used to do everyfing together one is a non muslim and the other is a muslim but not practising. But i've been practisin for nearly a year now and i just started wearing a hijab and abaya for like 3 months but i can tell my friends dont really like me like this, especially the non muslim friend we hardly speak to each other as we both have different lives and when they ask for me to come out i say no as were going to end up doing haram so im tyna keep away, however my muslim friend the one that isnt really practising she's my closest friend im trying to get her more into the deen but she havin none of it so im tryna keep away from her but i actually dont know what to do because i love her for the sake of allah and as a friend im trying to help her.
:wa:
and sorry if i wrote in the wrong place.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Sampharo
10-25-2009, 04:16 PM
You do not have to feel you need to choose between Islam and your muslim friend, sister, even if she's not practicing. Just by being her good friend you are making dawah, but you need to keep yourself as a good influence and not be influenced by her bad habits. Don't pressure too much with religion because people generally rebel against that, just try to gently introduce concepts relevent to the experiences and events of the time and bit by bit as she grows older and wiser she will take it in insha Allah.

May God bless your friendship.

noorseeker
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN4lFNbANPY

I hope this helps.

zakirs
10-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Make sure you really be nice to them .( ofcourse stay away from the obvious haram things). But be nice to them and talk to them.Dont look upon the non practising muslim as a lesser muslim , She is a muslim and should be respected nevertheless.As said above you can do dawah by your actions it self.Actions speak a lot than words.

:sl:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AnonymousPoster
10-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the help esspecially the link i just put it on my ipod.
jazakallah khair.

Rasema
10-25-2009, 10:46 PM
:sl:
I'd say you leave them alone and be by yourself so that you don't fall into sins with them. Trust me, you'll feel better about yourself becasue Allah will be satisfied with you,unless, you don't sin when you're with them. What I mean by sining when you're with them is; Smiling at non-mahram man, acting unislamiclly...I could be wrong.

Aliyah_86
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
I agree with the sister above. If by being friends with them you might fall back into sin then you should not spend so much time with them. I was in a similar situation as you a few years back sis, I had to let go of a lot a friends who were just a really bad influence on me and refused to change their ways, and Alhumdullilah I am so much happier now and have a good set of friends who are a wonderful influence on me.

AnonymousPoster
10-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Salaam Sr.

I read your post and I guess I could relate to what you said. I have been in this siutation before. If anything, I do not think your friends will look down on you, they respect the way you are. However, it does seem different to them, so you may get a bad vibe from them (that is how you feel from them).

If you are going to teach them religion, simply be yourself. That is dawah in it own form. If you are going to say anything or teach them, keep it simple. Talk about it in your life experience and you carry it on a daily basis (e.g. saying how praying gives you self-assurance and that you feel like everything is going to be okay.) This may reflect on them.

If you are going to say anything to them, keep it at a minimal. Religion is a sensative issue with anyone and everyone, and we all take it in at different levels. (e.g. saying how praying and preaching on lay-ul-tal qadr washes away your sins from the past year) Something like that. You want to be easy with it. If you go at them and preach all the time, they may not take it lightly and it becomes personal.

For people to take religion seriously, it takes some people time or it can happen overnight, it all depends. Nonetheless you have to be patient with them or anyone, and simply pray for their sake iA.

I would also recommend to invite your Muslim friend to events perhaps. If there is a sister's halaqa for instance, be kind and tell her about it. If she goes, then she goes. However do not pressure her. From time to time, try to keep her eyes open for such opportunities.

As far as spending time with these friends, I think you should just be straight-foward and tell them. If they want to go to a place that may lead to fitna or sin, do not hide it from them. I would suggest that you all can hang out another time, and do something simple such as getting lunch at a joint or grabbing some coffee where you all can chat. It still shows that you want to spend time with them.

Of course I cannot tell you or anyone to be friends with only certain people. However, when it comes down to Islam vs. Friends, Islam is what matters in the end. Anything and everything you do is for the sake of your religion. It seems like you want to take religion seriously, so if these friends respect it or do not, then that is their motive. You have your own program. If you want to strengthen your deen, I think it is best to maybe hang out with more Muslims and it's community.

I have always been told that if you want to make it to heaven, you want to associate yourself with people who can help you get there and influence you in that manner.

FINAL WORDS OF ADVICE, IN A NUTSHELL:
Insha'Allah continue to be yourself, work for the sake of Islam, and do not let anyone stop you from doing what you do. Ultimately, I am trying to say is take your religion seriously, and this is what matters the most. If you think these friends will hold you back, then let go of them. If you feel like you cannot influence them, simply make an effort to move on. You are on a roll and do not look back. Also try to make more Muslim friends and be active in the Muslim community.

Allah bless you insha'Allah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.