/* */

PDA

View Full Version : German trial over stabbing death of Muslim woman

Uthman
10-25-2009, 05:07 PM
The trial of a man accused of stabbing a pregnant Egyptian woman to death in a German court — an attack that outraged Muslims — opens Monday in the same courthouse, but under much greater security.

Some 200 police officers are to secure the Dresden state court, and bulletproof glass has been installed in the courtroom where the alleged assailant, identified only as Alexander W., goes on trial accused of murder, attempted murder and dangerous bodily harm.

Marwa al-Sherbini, 31, was giving evidence in July against a man charged with defamation for having called her a "terrorist" and "Islamist" when he attacked her. The young woman died after being stabbed 18 times. Her husband was also stabbed.

Members of al-Sherbini's family, including her husband, Elwy Ali Okaz, are to act as co-plantiffs in the trial, as is allowed under German law — allowing them to review evidence, file motions and question witnesses.

On Sunday, Egypt's president of the Lawyers' Syndicate, Hamdi Ahmed Khalifa, left for Germany to join the al-Sherbini family lawyers.

He told reporters that the defense team will "concentrate on refuting some of the German media's claims that the killer is mentally ill. We will demand the severest punishment for him."

The defendant Alexander W. is a jobless 29-year-old German citizen who was born in Russia and emigrated to Dresden a decade ago.

The July 1 killing of pharmacist al-Sherbini triggered protests in Egypt and Turkey, in large part due to what Muslims regarded as a lack of concern regarding the incident in Germany and the rest of the Western world.

Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed her condolences to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on the sidelines of the Group of Eight summit in Italy this summer, but German officials generally appeared slow to respond to the killing. That was widely interpreted in the Muslim world as evidence of a deep-seated Islamophobia in Germany.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad highlighted as evidence of Western double-standards the contrast between an apparent lack of interest in the story and intense interest in the death of a young Iranian woman during anti-government protests in Tehran.

Ahead of the trial, Merkel's adviser for immigrant affairs spoke Friday with Egypt's ambassador to Germany. Maria Boehmer's office said the two agreed to stay in touch, given the tremendous interest in the trial "in both countries, as well as in the whole Arab world."

In their indictment, Dresden prosecutors said the defendant was driven by a "hatred of non-Europeans and Muslims." If convicted, he could face life in prison.

The defendant had originally taken al-Sherbini to court to challenge a euro780 ($1,170) fine for defaming her in 2008 over a dispute on a playground.

Prosecutors say that in the courtroom he turned on al-Sherbini, stabbing her repeatedly with a seven-inch (18-centimeter) kitchen knife in front of her husband, 3-year-old son and eight courtroom officials.

Most German courts normally have no security measures and the defendant was able to smuggle the knife into the courtroom.

Okaz tried to intervene to protect his wife and was critically wounded when a security guard called to the scene shot him in the leg, apparently confusing him for the attacker.

The trial is scheduled to last 11 days. Participants were allowed to inspect the courtroom on Friday, according to a Web site operated by al-Sherbini's family and friends that aims to inform the public on the proceedings.

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Many of you will remember this. Here is a 'debate' between sister Yvonne Ridley and Douglas Murray on BBC News about this horrific incident:

Media Tags are no longer supported

I haven't watched it properly myself but it isn't immediately clear to me what exactly there is to debate about here.

Cabdullahi
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
the western governments go berserk when an iranian girl gets killed by an unknown quantity, the media is the tool used to try and defame the country after unsettling it..meanwhile around the same time we get a woman stabbed in a courthouse 18 times nothing is done....her husband gets stabbed nothing is done and according to them its not an interesting enough story to get the right amount of coverage

Sampharo
10-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I wonder if muslims will ever come to the mass realization that "justice" and "equality" touted by western civilization are more political than anything. The "goodwill" towards muslims need to be seen that it is more of a reluctant courtesy, and that behind it there are layers of fear. Fear of muslims living amongst them and bringing their traditions and causing discomfort, fear of Islam itself and its obligations being enforced upon them, and fear of losing their freedom and identity.

Of course some of these fears are unfounded and the rest are outright rediculous, but they are fears that appear very real to them nontheless, and what muslims need to understand is that the anti-Islamic notions are not errors or haphazard occaisions, but actively nurtured by anti-Islamic institutions and the stupidities of extremists and ignorants carrying the Islam banner. Until we realize what and who is targeting us, all our efforts will be pretty futile to counter them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
GuestFellow
10-25-2009, 06:24 PM
First it is pathetic that a modern country like Germany cannot even provide basic security for parties in action in the court. They cannot even recruit proper security guards who in this case shot the man who tried to save his wife.

Second I have no idea what they are supposed to be debating about. Individuals like Douglas Murray has not studied the Qu'ran. He labelled Islam as Fascists, bigoted and racist. Islam had spoken against racism before even the European countries introduced the Human Rights Act, it is the US and European countries charging around the world setting up Fascists regimes and the guy himself is bigoted and has not woken up to reality. Typical strategies to divert the topic.

It is so obvious the media is the main blame for Islamophobia. After September 11th there had been an increase in hatred attacks against Muslims and...Sikhs. They attacked Sikhs because they wear a Turban and have beard and thought they were Muslims. In regards to issues taking place in Iran, again Douglas Murray is only vomiting out the crap that Zionist media has fed him.

جوري
10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
'opens under greater security'.. got to love that.. who are they tightening the security for? she got killed in the same court house and her husband shot by the courthouse police.. perhaps they should lessen the security and bring her three year old son for the finish...

7asbona Allah wa'ni3ma alwakeel!

Mujahideen92
10-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I hope the murderer is punished in this life and the hereafter

Uthman
10-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Telegraph Article

BBC Article

Independent Article

Muezzin
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Hopefully the defendant won't kill anyone while the court is in session this time.

Pygoscelis
10-29-2009, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
I wonder if muslims will ever come to the mass realization that "justice" and "equality" touted by western civilization are more political than anything. The "goodwill" towards muslims need to be seen that it is more of a reluctant courtesy, and that behind it there are layers of fear. Fear of muslims living amongst them and bringing their traditions and causing discomfort, fear of Islam itself and its obligations being enforced upon them, and fear of losing their freedom and identity.

Of course some of these fears are unfounded and the rest are outright rediculous, but they are fears that appear very real to them nontheless, and what muslims need to understand is that the anti-Islamic notions are not errors or haphazard occaisions, but actively nurtured by anti-Islamic institutions and the stupidities of extremists and ignorants carrying the Islam banner. Until we realize what and who is targeting us, all our efforts will be pretty futile to counter them.
Extremely well put. And that both you as a muslim and I as an atheist see it may give your observation even more weight.

malayloveislam
10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
The person who stabbed al-marhouma Marwa is ill in his mind and thinking...

aamirsaab
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān

Okaz tried to intervene to protect his wife and was critically wounded when a security guard called to the scene shot him in the leg, apparently confusing him for the attacker.
So he shot the husband by accident and then what? He just stopped and let the real attacker stab the muslim female 18 freakin times? I can understand maybe once or twice, but 18 times? What was he doing? Reloading?!

He should have just shot him there and then - he was quick enough to shoot the husband!

This whole case is an utter farce, and hopefully, this scumbag in question will get death penalty: he killed someone (who was pregnant [that's double murder btw] AND suing him for defamation [wow, how many crimes has he commited now?!) in court - it would be an insult to the justice system if this ass-wipe does not receive death penalty.

Absolute nonsense.

cat eyes
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
i hope this evil person gets the lethal injection give this animal a slow and painful death

glo
10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i hope this evil person gets the lethal injection give this animal a slow and painful death
Not in Germany, he won't.

Uthman
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM
New evidence delays verdict in German court stabbing case

Uthman
11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
German courtroom killer gets life

A man has been sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of murdering a pregnant Egyptian woman in a German courtroom.

The Dresden state court also ruled that Alexander Wiens would not be eligible for early release.

Wiens, 28, admitted stabbing Marwa Sherbini to death at a court hearing involving them both in July.

The crime sparked outrage across the Muslim world. Egypt said justice had been served with the sentence.

Wiens, a Russian-born German citizen, had argued his action was not premeditated.

But prosecutors at the trial, which took place amid tight security, insisted he was motivated by a "hatred of non-Europeans and Muslims".

'Martyr of the hijab'

The case began with an argument in a playground in 2008.

Ms Sherbini, a pharmacist, is said to have asked Wiens to let her child use a playground swing he was sitting on. He refused and instead called her abusive names.

She later took the defendant to court and he was fined 780 euros ($1,170; £718) for defamation.

But when Wiens returned to the courtroom for an appeal hearing on 1 July this year, prosecutors say he smuggled in an 18cm (7in) kitchen knife and stabbed Ms Sherbini at least 16 times with it.

The 31-year-old, who was three months pregnant with her second child, bled to death in front of her husband and their three-year-old son.

Her husband was himself stabbed as he tried to protect his wife, and also accidentally shot in the leg by a security guard who initially believed him to be the attacker.

Wiens was also found guilty of attempted murder and causing bodily harm for his

Egyptian Ambassador Ramzy Ezzeldin Ramzy told reporters outside court that "justice has been honoured".

He said: "Getting the maximum possible sentence, I think that itself says a lot."

Egyptian foreign ministry spokesman Hossam Zaki said in a statement quoted by AFP news agency: "The verdict, the maximum punishment under German law, serves justice and is considered a warning to those motivated by hate."

Many Muslim leaders had accused Germany of Islamophobia following the killing.

They said the country, which has the second-biggest Muslim population in Western Europe, had been too slow to condemn it.

Ms Sherbini, who wore a headscarf, was dubbed "the martyr of the hijab".

Thousands attended her funeral in Egypt, some chanting "Death to Germany", and there were also mass protests in Iran.

On Wednesday, outside the courtroom, about 200 people staged a demonstration calling for the German government to do more to counter racism, particularly on the internet.

ANALYSIS

By Yolande Knell, BBC News, Cairo

There were alerts on Egyptian state television as news of the verdict broke.

This trial has been extensively covered in the media and many Egyptian journalists travelled to Dresden.

Members of Marwa Sherbini's family and Egyptian lawyers - including a legal team provided by the Egyptian foreign ministry - were also in court.

The case shocked Egyptians and there was outrage at what was seen as the slow response of the German authorities to deal with claims of Islamophobia and to offer condolences.

In July, thousands turned out for the funeral of Ms Sherbini in Alexandria, her home city.

There were small protests afterwards outside the German embassy and in the Al-Azhar Mosque in Cairo.

Tensions remained during the trial - causing a Dresden orchestra to postpone planned performances in Egypt.

Source:BBC News

glo
11-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Life imprisonment is the highest punishment possible in Germany.

Are people satisfied with the sentencing?

Humbler_359
11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo

Salaam Glo,

I am not sure what you mean by satisfaction? You know as I know this guy did absolutely done wrong cowardly attack in Courtroom, don't you think?

Peace!

glo
11-11-2009, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Humbler_359
Salaam Glo,

I am not sure what you mean by satisfaction? You know as I know this guy did absolutely done wrong cowardly attack in Courtroom, don't you think?

Peace!
Greetings, Humbler

Perhaps 'satisfied' for the wrong term to use.
What this man did was terrible and inexcusable ... and nothing will ever be enough to repay the grief and hurt, which he has caused!

I guess what I meant was, given that some people have called for the death penalty, do they feel the German law has done justice?

aadil77
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
According to islam that is not justice, but what can you do? Regarding being satisfied with the punishment, I doubt the husband is gonna be satisfied knowing that his wife and child are dead whilst the murderer is still alive in this world.

No punishment can bring back the dead, but the death sentence would atleast rid the world of these criminals straight away, the husband would probably think alot less about his wife's murderer knowing that he's dead in his grave rather than alive and kicking.

GuestFellow
11-11-2009, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
According to islam that is not justice, but what can you do? Regarding being satisfied with the punishment, I doubt the husband is gonna be satisfied knowing that his wife and child are dead whilst the murderer is still alive in this world.

No punishment can bring back the dead, but the death sentence would atleast rid the world of these criminals straight away, the husband would probably think alot less about his wife's murderer knowing that he's dead in his grave rather than alive and kicking.
:sl:

Life sentence can be seen as a very fitting punishment. The prisoner will never see daylight and is stuck behind the cells for the rest of his entire life. He will die a slow and miserable death. I think some people could become mentally disturbed from being isolated for a long time.

Güven
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM

I'm not saying " A killer should be killed" but in this case he killed a person, a PREGNANT mother. he ruined a family. He gets a life imprisonment - wich you can't call it life anymore and neither death yet - and HIS family is ruined as well.

unless he has a serious psychological mental problems, which I doubt he has. He had mental stability so far I know, he has chosen for this himself.

A life imprisonment, well at least he can think and regret or even seek repentance for a long long time.

btw is that cop, who shot the husband also prosecuted?

Humbler_359
11-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Greetings, Humbler

Perhaps 'satisfied' for the wrong term to use.
What this man did was terrible and inexcusable ... and nothing will ever be enough to repay the grief and hurt, which he has caused!

I guess what I meant was, given that some people have called for the death penalty, do they feel the German law has done justice?

Greeting back to you Glo,

At least I think we got very bad person in jail, let him look at the wall for what he did for the rest of his life. If you are asking me regarding German's justice, I don't know. Death sentences is a better choice, in my humble opinion.

cat eyes
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I Am happy with the outcome he got life in prison but life means only 3 or 5years maybe even 10years in Europe guys do you know that he will be released on good behaviour thats how the justice system works in Europe

جوري
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM

No, he needs the death penalty in a public square to be made an example out of!

Woodrow
11-11-2009, 08:50 PM
I think at this point we all need to be aware he got the maximum punishment allowed in Germany. The death penalty is illegal in Germany for any crime.

While many want the death penalty for him, we have to remember he was tried and convicted under man made laws and we need to have Faith that in time he will face Allah(swt) and at that time he will receive what he deserves. We have to further have Faith that is is the will of Allah(swt) that this crime occurred in Germany and not in a country that permits capital punishment.

جوري
11-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Insha'Allah, he'll receive what he deserves here and in the hereafter.. I hope they put him with a real brute who even if he doesn't think much of Muslim women will at least do him in for being a baby killer..
animals of his nature don't deserve a roof over their head and to be fed three times a day.. how lucky is he to not have to work again and be fed and given medical care, after putting two people in the ground!

7asbona Allah wa'ni3ma alwakeel!

Güven
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I Am happy with the outcome he got life in prison but life means only 3 or 5years maybe even 10years in Europe guys do you know that he will be released on good behaviour thats how the justice system works in Europe
In Germany a sentenced person must be prisoned for at least around 15 years to apply for a parole, it kinda depends on the individual.

he has luck that he didn't get sentenced in The Netherlands, their neighbor country because here Life imprisonment means really LIFE imprisonment.

Woodrow
11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
If his prosecution is upheld he will have no option for parole or early release. I do not know the appeal process in Germany or if there is any.

Here in the USA each state has it's own option in some states the appeal process is automatic for capital punishment cases. In other states the attitude is execute the convicted, we will write an apology if we were wrong.Texas for instance has the Death penalty and does apply it often Texas prisoners on Death row are normally executed within a year.

Texas gets a lot criticism as it has been shown that on several occasions in Texas- people have been found to be innocent after the execution.

Uthman
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Articles from The Times

In particular, note this part:
“We find you bear a particularly heavy burden of guilt,” said Judge Birgit Wiegand. The phrase is German legal language indicating that Mr Wiens will not be considered for early release. Fifteen years constitutes a life sentence.

Uthman
11-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Egypt gripped by 'veil martyr' trial

Joe98
11-11-2009, 10:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahideen92

I hope the murderer is punished in this life and the hereafter
Can he be punished twice?

In theory, if he is punished on earth, then he has paid for his crime and a compassionate god will welcome him to heaven!

-

جوري
11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Joe98

In theory, if he is punished on earth, then he has paid for his crime and a compassionate god will welcome him to heaven!

-
That would be true if he showed a sliver of remorse.. he's been given two chances and twice he blew it in the most callous and hateful fashion.. Indeed I hope he suffers a grievous torture in his prison cell, and may he rot in hell for all eternity..

all the best!

Woodrow
11-11-2009, 11:03 PM

-
In this case an analogy what if the woman's husband had caught up with him before the trial and beat him to a bloody pulp. Would this lessen the German's court's authority to punish him?

so it is here. The Human court tried and convicted him, he still has to be tried by Allaah(swt). this is not double jeopardy. Only the mans body faced earthly punishment. Ho he lives from now until the time he dies will determine what if any judgment Allaah(swt) pronounces. For all we know Allaah(swt) may know a reason he should not be punished, perhaps he undergoes a total change of life and becomes a pious person. He can still escape hellfire.

aadil77
11-11-2009, 11:08 PM

-
If he becomes muslim; him being punished in the next life will depend on wether he is forgiven over here

But if he remains non-muslim then yep as non of his repentance counts

Remember, he can still get punished through other ways by Allah in this world

The_Prince
11-12-2009, 01:57 AM

-
what you just said is actually valid from an Islamic viewpoint, but NOT EXACTLY, now if this guy was executed, and repented before hand etc then that would act as his punishment and he would be saved from further punishment on this crime in the here after. but you see he isnt getting the just punishment, because someone is dead, and he still lives, and the familly obviously didnt forgive him and just ask for blood money.

so with that said, he will still be punished in the next world, that is unless he repents, and then its up to God.

Joe98
11-12-2009, 03:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
If he becomes muslim; him being punished in the next life will depend on wether he is forgiven over here

But if he remains non-muslim then yep as non of his repentance counts

Remember, he can still get punished through other ways by Allah in this world
Perhaps someone can explain the highlighted bit some more.

-

aadil77
11-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Perhaps someone can explain the highlighted bit some more.

-
Its simple, if you're muslim and you sin then you repent, assuming that repentance is accepted you won't be punished in the next life for that sin, but you may be punished in this life instead.

Now you probably know we believe that all disbeleivers will be punished eternally in hell no matter what sins they've commited, so it doesn't matter what he's done there's no way he will get a 'welcome' to 'heaven', that is unless he converts at some point.

AlHoda
11-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Alex W., the man who stabbed pregnant Egyptian pharmacist Marwa al-Sherbini to death in a courtroom in Dresden in July, was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday. The judge imposed the harshest possible sentence under the German system by ruling that W. will not be eligible for parole after 15 years.

A court in Dresden sentenced Alex W., a German man of Russian origin, to life in prison on Wednesday for murdering Marwa al-Sherbini, a pregnant Egyptian woman, by stabbing her 16 times in a courtroom in a case that caused outrage across the Arab world.

The judge, Birgit Wiegand, ruled that the crime was so brutal that Alex W., who moved to Germany in 2003, will not be eligible for parole after 15 years. He may be in jail for between 18 and 25 years before a board reviews whether he can get parole.

The prosecution said W., 28, had murdered al-Sherbini out of racial hatred. She had been testifying against him in a court hearing in Dresden on July 1. That hearing was held after W. had appealed against a €780 ($1,170) fine for calling al-Sherbini an "Islamist", "terrorist" and "****" when she asked him to let her son go on the swings at a playground in August 2008.

W. admitted killing al-Sherbini but had argued that his actions were not premeditated. His attorneys had sought a manslaughter conviction. The defendant hid his face under a hood and sunglasses during the trial.

Al-Sherbini's husband, a scientist, was stabbed and suffered serious injuries when he intervened to protect her during the July 1 attack. He was then shot in the leg by a police officer who had rushed into the courtroom and mistook him for the attacker. The couple's three-year-old son witnessed the incident.

Judge Wiegand said Alex W., who was unemployed, had regarded life in Germany as "multicultural ****" and believed foreigners were depriving him of work. She said he despised Muslims in particular and ignored the fact that he himself was not of German origin, she said.

W.'s sentence was the maximum under German law. However people in al-Sherbini's home city of Alexandria, Egypt, said it was not enough, the Associated Press reported. "She died, but he's still alive," said neighbor Badr Shorbagy, 57.

Prosecutor Frank Heinrich had said in his closing arguments on Monday that W. had been motivated by a hatred of Muslims. "Like a maniacal, cold-blooded killer, he started stabbing the woman and her husband, who was trying to protect her," Heinrich said.

The Egyptian ambassador to Germany, Ramzy Ezzeldin Ramzy, said he was satisfied with the sentence because it was the harshest possible.

cro -- with wire reports

Social Networks

AlHoda
11-15-2009, 03:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
So he shot the husband by accident and then what? He just stopped and let the real attacker stab the muslim female 18 freakin times? I can understand maybe once or twice, but 18 times? What was he doing? Reloading?!

He should have just shot him there and then - he was quick enough to shoot the husband!

This whole case is an utter farce, and hopefully, this scumbag in question will get death penalty: he killed someone (who was pregnant [that's double murder btw] AND suing him for defamation [wow, how many crimes has he commited now?!) in court - it would be an insult to the justice system if this ass-wipe does not receive death penalty.

Absolute nonsense.

I was wondering the same, what was everyone doing?!, when this poor girl was being stabbed 18xTIMES.

cat eyes
11-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Id imagine people did not want to approach him incase they would get stabbed but stil dose not make sense they should have shot him after the first two or three stabs

Fishman
11-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Id imagine people did not want to approach him incase they would get stabbed but stil dose not make sense they should have shot him after the first two or three stabs
Her husband tried to stop the man, but he was mistaken for the attacker and got shot in the leg.

aamirsaab
11-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Would prefer death penalty but the max they have in germany is life imprisonment, so he did get the ultimate punishment that law system had to offer. In that case, justice has been done.

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
No weapons are allowed in a court room. Not even the baliffs. The armed balifss are stationed out side the doors. This is to prevent the possibility of a deranged person grabbing a gun and shooting up the court room. How the man got past the metal detectors with a knife raises a big question about court room security.

since everybody is lulled into a false sense of security it is fairly easily for a man to stab somebody numerous times before any body even realizes what is happening.

YasinAlKurdi
12-09-2009, 03:38 AM
I am from Germany and the muslim community, which is big here(about 4-5 million muslims), was both shocked and angry. We went out to the streets and demonstrated for her and for the rights and safety of muslims in germany.
The problem in germany is that the muslim community is splitted into many organisations like several turkish communites, arabic communites, a bosniancommunity etc.
I hope Allah will punish the murderer of Marwa in afterlife and unite the muslim community in germany and in the whole world. amin!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.