/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Two questions

Jamie.138
10-26-2009, 04:31 AM
:sl:

Greetings, I have been studying Islam for awhile now and I feel compelled to convert, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I am a big fan of Noam Chomsky and was curious if anarchist(real anarchism, not what commercial media portrays it as) principles* and Islam were compatible?

2. I was wondering if nail polish was haram?

Thank you in advance, if I think of any other questions I will post them in here later.

*If you do not know what anarchy is, here is a good site to look at.

http://question-everything.mahost.or...icAnarchy.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
10-26-2009, 01:04 PM
I will only answer the nail polich question at te moment. Nail polish in itself does not seem to meet the criteria of being haram. However, it does pose problems with prayer as it wold prevent wudu from being done. The nail polish wold keep water from touching the nails and that in the opinion of many scholars would make the wudu invalid.

Since we do pray 5 times a day it seems it would become troublesome for a person to have to keep removing it for doing wudu.

zakirs
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Nail polish

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is wax, dough, henna and the like on one of his limbs, which prevents water from reaching any part of it, then his tahaarah is not valid, whether the amount is large or small. If there are traces of henna and its colour left on the hand, without there being any solid material left, or elsewhere, or traces of liquid grease whereby water flows over the limb but does not stay there, his tahaarah is valid. End quote.

Sorry bro i am not so knowledgeable to comment on anarchy.

May Allah guide you :)

Asiyah3
10-26-2009, 03:51 PM
As-salaamu aleykum,

Praise be to Allah for guiding you to the Truth

About nailpolish, it is not haram. But it might prevent the water from reaching certain parts, so it might be bothersome to remove it.

(Ps. Hasten to say the shahadah for nobody knows when the moment of death comes)

May Allah guide you and guide the whole Ummah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
zakirs
10-27-2009, 05:21 AM
I agree with what muslim sister says..

Say the shahada and then go on to clear your doubts and Inshaallah you will get them cleared.Remember no body has seen the future

Muslim Woman
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Salaam/ Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Jamie.138
if anarchist(real anarchism, not what commercial media portrays it as) principles* and Islam were compatible?
Can u explain what is anarchist ?

I was wondering if nail polish was haram?
If any lady wants to use nail polish , she should perform the ablution first , then use it. It's better to use herbal colour i.e henna/ mehendi that gives a natural red colour and don't create any barrier that prevents water reaching nails.

uhh I just noticed that u posted a link for anarchy . InshaAllah will try to visit. In the mean time , as already suggested , if you are sure Islam is the truth , then don't delay to accept it .

May Allah guide you , Ameen.

Muslim Woman
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Salaam/ Peace

I tried to read ...yak ...so hard and boring . sorry :(

May be , it's better if u read about Islam more :) . God Willing , u will understand that it's the Truth :statisfie

Satellite?blobcolurldata&ampblobheaderimage2Fjpeg&ampblobkeyid&ampblobtableMungoBlobs&ampblobwhere1250067939518&ampssbinarytrue -

One God, one humanity and one religion for all mankind is the foundation of Islam.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...am%2FDIELayout

What Is Islam?

ans is given by our revert sis Ælfwine Mischler

... Muslims believe in One God—called 'Allah' in Arabic—Who is the Creator and Sustainer of the universe, everything in it and the whole existence.

...The Qur’an was revealed to Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him); it is preserved exactly as it was revealed by the Angel Gabriel in the Arabic language. There are three translations of its meaning available on this web site.

In addition, Muslims believe in the Angels, in the Divine Decree and the Books that were revealed to some of the prophets, but only the Qur’an remains uncorrupted.

As for their acts of worship, Muslims must perform ritual prayers five times a day. They must pay a small portion of their excess wealth each year to help the needy or for other causes stated in the Qur’an. This payment is called zakah. They must fast during the month of Ramadan, and if possible, they must make a pilgrimage (Hajj) to Makkah once in their life.

You may find the following links useful: Introducing Islam
Man... Vision and Mission
My Journey to Islam
Readings for New Muslims
A Complete Way of Life
What Islam Actually Is
Death: a Reality, not a Philosophy

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...=1123996016062

peaceandlove
10-27-2009, 05:33 PM
i donot know what is anarchist , and even i read your link i did not understand it due to my poor english , so no commments on anarchist?

About nailpolish i donot think so its haram , well my mother use it , my sister use it , but they use it with care like mostly they use it after eisha(night) prayers if we have to go to some party etc and remove it before sleeping , as now there are now nailpolish removers are easily availabel so you can remove you nailpolish easily at any time. I donot think now there will be much problem for you after the availability of nailposlish removers.

Hamza Asadullah
10-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Greetings, I have been studying Islam for awhile now and I feel compelled to convert, but I have a couple of questions.

1. I am a big fan of Noam Chomsky and was curious if anarchist(real anarchism, not what commercial media portrays it as) principles* and Islam were compatible?

Thank you in advance, if I think of any other questions I will post them in here later.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Allah only guides who he wants and is wanting to guide you that is why yor heart is inclined towards Islam. Once you have accepted the truth then any other ideology such as anarchism will seem false to you because there can only be one right way and that way is Islam which is a complete system and way of life (Shariah).

Although there are some things that Islam has in common with anarchism, the main concept of anarchism which is to reject all forms of authority is contrary to Islamic beliefs because we have ulema (Islamic scholars) and imams (Religious leaders) who direct us the right way through their vast knowledge of the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Also heading the shariah would be a khalifa or ruler who is chosen by the people for his character and competance not for his genes or hereditary. Islam rejects monarchy's. Currently there is no proper shariah implemented for the last one was abolished in 1924.

Once you look into Islam more deeply and properly for yourself you will realise that EVERYTHING in Islam makes complete sense and that it is the BEST and ONLY way to eternal success. Look into the Qur'an and what Allah is telling us and you will realise that it is none other than the word of God.

I have pasted this weblink for you which contains some VERY interesting and beneficial Islamic articles aswell as countless short clips of converts to Islam from around the world and their stories of how they came to the truth.

Very useful threads and links for those looking into Islam

http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...nto-islam.html

Also here is a article i found of an ex anarchist and how he found the truth. If you have any more questions then please don't hesitate to ask. Thank you

From Anarchy to Islam

Seeing Islam practiced on a deeply personal and communal level in the desert villages and camps of Mauritania affected Sam.

Sam Abdul Wadoud Highsmith is an American ex-anarchist who embraced Islam in the summer of 2001. Having hitchhiked extensively throughout the United States while even braving a grizzly bear attack in Alaska, Abdul Wadoud continued his adventures abroad and first came into contact with Islam while driving his motorcycle across Mauritania.

After converting to Islam back in America, Abdul Wadoud visited numerous Muslim countries in Africa, the Indian subcontinent, and the Middle East both for da`wah activities and political protests. He is currently an undergraduate student at the American University in Cairo where he studies anthropology.

Abdul Wadoud answers your questions about his conversion to Islam and his life:

* Q. Did the falsified image of Islam as a terrorist religion—propagated by many non-Muslim sources—prevent you from embracing Islam? What advice would you give to such people who consider Islam as an outdated, uncivilized and terrorist religion?

- A. The image of Islam and Muslims currently propagated by the international media was not as prevalent before 9/11, though it was still present. In that sense, I had less prejudice to overcome than might be expected given the current environment. To be honest, the prejudice I had to work the hardest to overcome was a prejudice against religion in general as consisting of fairy tales designed to keep the ignorant masses dumb and happy. In my case, this impression was countered by the strong message of justice and balance advocated in Islam.

My humble advice would be to present Islam as a viable faith-based system, that is often not followed properly, but that nonetheless provides humanity with a system of living that is far superior to any man-made system. It is superior because it is the way of Allah, not of any person or group of people.

* Q. How did you react the first time you read the Qur’an?

- A.The first time I started reading a translation of the meaning of the Qur’an I was not seeking spiritual enlightenment and did not find it. I read my translation with an eye for possible discrepancies, inconsistencies and things that just didn't seem to make sense. Whenever I thought I found one I would ask some of the Muslims at my local mosque about my “discoveries” in a very confrontational way. May Allah reward those kind and generous men for their patience and thoughtful responses that slowly became the cause for Allah to incline my heart towards Islam. The Qur’an revealed (and is revealing still) its beauty to me slowly and with poise, like a flower opening in the sun, not like a flash of lightning.

- Q. What was it that most attracted you to Islam, and how have people reacted to your change?

- A. This is a difficult question but the thing that most attracted me to Islam before I was Muslim was probably the perfection of Islam as a system of living. Also, the continuity of scholarship and practice across both time and space was impressive and provided a way of connecting myself to something bigger than just my own ego.

The reactions of my family and friends upon my acceptance of Islam were and have been overwhelmingly positive. I don’t try to impose any of my beliefs on them but I do answer a lot of their questions about Islam and Muslims. Of course, I have changed as a person after becoming Muslim but I am still the same person; the same son, brother and friend. If I am in any way deficient in any of these roles after accepting Islam, it is my fault entirely. And if I have improved in any way, all praise and thanks is due only to Allah. Please remember my family and the Muslim community at large in your du`aa’.

* Q. What would you say were the top three things that lead to your Islam, after the pure guidance of Allah (which we all know is the only REAL reason in reality)?

- A. I will try to enumerate some reason for accepting Islam below in no particular order:

Having the privilege to see Islam practiced on a deeply personal and communal level in the desert villages and camps of Mauritania.
Seeing Islam as a contiguous tradition across time and space that can be practiced in environments as desperate as North Africa and Northern California. The effort is mostly the same but the results are different.
Before I became Muslim, a wise Muslim man in my town looked me in the eye at exactly the right time in my spiritual development and told me “Allah has a hold of you and He won’t let you go.” This solidified my as yet unconscious intentions to accept Islam.

* Q. Do you find Islam a practical religion within your expectations?

- A.With all praise due to Allah, Islam as a religion and practical way of life has consistently exceeded my expectation. It is certainly not easy to apply all of the aspects of an Islamic Lifestyle, but the effort itself is satisfying even though it is never-ending. Islam indeed has the answer to any practical or spiritual question this world can put before us, the only difficulty is in making the commitment to Allah so He will allow us to pursue the option most pleasing to Him. May He guide us all and allow us to perform even the most mundane tasks with fear of Him and ihsan.

* Q. What is your advice to a Muslim, when ever his/her iman becomes weak, have you confronted such situation and how do you handle that?

- A. Thank you for your question but I don't know if I am the best person to answer it. Sheikh Hamza Yusuf said something to the effect that our faith naturally goes through both high and low points. This is not a personal fault of the individual believer, but part of the design of Allah. When our faith is low, we strive to increase it through du`aa’, prayer and keeping the company of the righteous (to name a few methods) and this teaches us to value faith and not take it for granted as well as how to struggle for the sake of Allah. When our faith is high, we know from experience that we can increase it through effort and this teaches us never to be satisfied with our spiritual level. For myself, I know that it is extremely important to surround myself with good and pious friends. Al-hamdu lillah, I am fortunate enough to have friends who exceed me in religion and are willing to help me on the path.

* Q. What effort is being taken by the Muslims in USA to educate the other faiths, that Islam shuns all forms of violence and also to convince the public that it wasn't Muslims as implicated responsible for 9/11?

- A. I have spent nearly all my time as a Muslim outside of the United States so I am largely ignorant of the U.S. Muslim scene.

I’m not sure about the last part of your question (it could be interpreted in many ways), but to those Muslims who think that the Jews or any other non-Muslim group crashed the planes into the World Trade Center, let me say that they may be simply avoiding self-criticism (muhasabah) which has always been an important aspect of the Islamic intellectual tradition.

* Q. What do you think is the most important message Islam came with?

- A. I think the most important message within the religion of Islam is that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is His messenger. May Allah give us all true understanding of this brief but immensely meaningful message.

Source:http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...am%2FDIELayout

Iris
10-31-2009, 08:48 PM
^JazakAllah for that post, very useful.

PS: I agree with those who posted above about saying you shahadah Asap. May Allah SWT make it easy for you.

anatolian
11-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Firstly it is exciting to hear that you consider to accept Islam after your researchs. It is ,but, interesting that one of your two questions before a possible convertion/we say reversion is about nail painting?..and you are not even a girl..:hiding:

As for your first question...There are things which Islam agrees and disagrees anarchism. For example an irrefutable ideal of our religion is to establish a worldwide state(or communal, if it is possible) based on the Islamic values...

Muslim Woman
11-06-2009, 04:33 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by anatolian
interesting that one of your two questions before a possible convertion/we say reversion is about nail painting?..and you are not even a girl..:hiding:

:p

Hello Jamie , how is your study / research going on about Islam ?

Jamie.138
11-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Its going well, thank you! I have two more questions

1. I don't have a Qur'an, but the library has two of hem, one translation by Thomas Cleary and one by two people, I forget their names atm but one was Muhsin and I think one or both of them were Dr's?

2. What time would be best to go talk to an Imam at the local mosque, I tried calling but nobody ever picks up and I am too coy to leave a message.

Ramadhan
11-09-2009, 04:51 PM
There are many Al Qur'an translations on the internet.
among the best are:
www.quran.com (it has 6 english translations and a tafseer)
www.kalamullah.com
www.quranexplorer.com
www.tafsir.com (tafsir ibnu kathir)
http://www.quranenglish.com/tafheem_quran/ (this one has extensive explanation)
http://www.tanzil.info/

Hamza Asadullah
11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Its going well, thank you! I have two more questions

1. I don't have a Qur'an, but the library has two of hem, one translation by Thomas Cleary and one by two people, I forget their names atm but one was Muhsin and I think one or both of them were Dr's?

2. What time would be best to go talk to an Imam at the local mosque, I tried calling but nobody ever picks up and I am too coy to leave a message.
Hello Jamie, Whereabouts are you from? So that i can see if there is a Mosque near you that you can contact.

One of the best and most renowned Qur'an translation's is Yusuf Ali translation as it is easy and very simple to understand:

http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/Surai.htm

Hayaa
11-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Regarding nail polish, I personally find it really troublesome when trying to get it off. Sometimes, it sticks to the sides of your nails, which makes it difficult even while using a remover. Plus, if you miss even a little section, that minute portion of your nail remains untouched by water during wudu and that can be a problem since it'll end up nullifying your wudu and prayer altogether. In the end, I suppose it's a matter of being really really careful.

Muslim Woman
11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
Salaam/Peace

... I tried calling but nobody ever picks up and I am too coy to leave a message.

why not visit mosque and talk to the Imam directly ?

Mosque (Masjid) Finder Worldwide Mosque Finder

http://www.islamicbulletin.com/services/masjid.htm

Jamie.138
11-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi, there is a mosque near me, but I've been there twice and nobody was there, is there a specific time or day I should go so I can talk with an Imam?

Of the two Qur'ans I listed which translations would be prefered? I will be doing traveling for the next month or so and won't have much access to the internet. The two are

1. Thomas Cleary

2. Dr Muhammed Muhsin Khan and I forget the second person who helped translate, sorry.

Muslim Woman
11-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Salaam/Peace

.. there is a mosque near me, but I've been there twice and nobody was there
:(

is there a specific time or day I should go so I can talk with an Imam?
U can go before Salat/prayer time. God Willing , u will find Imam or any bro to help u. Visit the link to find the prayer time worldwide

http://www.islamicacademy.org/html/G.../Timetable.htm

Islamic Academy
1251 Shiloh Rd.Plano TX 75074 - Phone 972-423-5786

Of the two Qur'ans I listed which translations would be prefered?

1. Thomas Cleary

2. Dr Muhammed Muhsin Khan .
I heard of Dr Muhsin but don't know about Thomas Cleary . Sounds like revert Muslim ??

Here is a link for Quran translations in multi languages . U will also find various translations. Read few lines of each translator and decide which one u like best.

YusuAli Shakir Pickthal Mohsin Khan French Spanish Indonesian Melayu German Russian Bosnian urdu

Transliteration 1: Bismi Allahi alrrahmani alrraheemi

Yusuf Ali 1: In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

Shakir 1: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Pickthal 1: In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

Mohsin Khan: 1: In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

French 1: Au nom d'Allah, le Tout Miséricordieux, le Très Miséricordieux.

Spanish 1: ¡En el nombre de Alá, el Compasivo, el Misericordioso!

Indonesian 1: Dengan menyebut nama Allah Yang Maha Pemurah lagi Maha Penyayang

Melayu 1: Dengan nama Allah, Yang Maha Pemurah, lagi Maha Mengasihani.

German 1: Im Namen Allahs, des Allerbarmers, des Barmherzigen!

Russian 1: Во имя Аллаха, Милостивого, Милосердного!

Bosnian 1: Tebe, Allaha, Gospodara svjetova, hvalimo,

http://theislampath.com/smf/index.php

Hamza Asadullah
11-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi, there is a mosque near me, but I've been there twice and nobody was there, is there a specific time or day I should go so I can talk with an Imam?

Of the two Qur'ans I listed which translations would be prefered? I will be doing traveling for the next month or so and won't have much access to the internet. The two are

1. Thomas Cleary

2. Dr Muhammed Muhsin Khan and I forget the second person who helped translate, sorry.
Hello again. Go to the Mosque around sunset. Then there will definatley be people there to help you.

Both translations are good but go for Thomas Cleary inshallah. Enjoy your trip.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.