/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which laptop should I get?

A-Believer-25
10-27-2009, 05:26 AM
:sl:

I am planning on buying a new laptop soon, inshallah.

I currently have an HP laptop which I don't like. The screen flickers, the computer gets slow.

I have been researching for a good laptop but I am having a hard time deciding.

What kind of laptop do you recommend for me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
zakirs
10-27-2009, 06:01 AM
If you have enough money , Go for a Macbook.

If not 1)vaio
2)dell

btw whats your budget

and yes hp really sucks.. its not worth buying

megatron5228
10-27-2009, 06:16 AM
HP lacks battery life.

I think you should look into Lenovo or Toshiba. Those are really good laptops. Macbook is good, but if you want to use for practical stuff, then Mac is a waste of money, expensive.

Lenovo or Toshiba will do justice for WWW, typing papers, watcing movies, MSN...basic stuff.

Ramadhan
10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
Sony Vaio, then Toshiba.

Dell sucks.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
I find Acer to be good, but it is difficult to find one that does not have Vista as the OS. If you can find one with XP it would be a very good choice.

zakirs
10-27-2009, 08:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I find Acer to be good, but it is difficult to find one that does not have Vista as the OS. If you can find one with XP it would be a very good choice.
Windows 7 is decent enough though..

yeah so the order is .. Vaio, lenovo , toshiba..

A-Believer-25
10-27-2009, 01:43 PM
At first I was considering a 13 inch Macbook Pro but I realized that I can get a computer with the same specs for a cheaper price, I was also considering maybe a Toshiba and Sony Vaio FW, an Acer sounds nice too. lol There is so much to choose from.

Güven
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
whats wrong with Dell?

A-Believer-25
10-27-2009, 02:04 PM
hmm.. not sure. I'm still deciding. I really do like the Sony Vaio FW, but I am in no rush. lol I want to get a really good laptop that will last me for years, inshallah. I am not getting another HP laptop after what I went through with this thing. I had a hard drive fail with this laptop back in February so I was without a laptop until August, I bought a new hard drive in August, and my laptop screen has been fixed twice, and the screen is back to flickering, I have to keep moving the screen it's so annoying, and this computer can be really slow, my laptop is a pain. So HP is not an option for me.

Far7an
10-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Buy a laptop with no OS pre-installed, it'll work out much cheaper and then you can install Ubuntu for free.

sirajstc
10-27-2009, 02:33 PM
I think hp is good

Fטлку
10-27-2009, 02:35 PM
hmmm...get dell...it looks hot :D..though HP looks nice too :statisfie

sirajstc
10-27-2009, 02:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
hmmm...get dell...it looks hot :D

yeah :statisfie:statisfie:statisfie

Mujahideen92
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Acer makes fantastic laptops for a very good price. I use a Dell personally

A-Believer-25
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
Buy a laptop with no OS pre-installed, it'll work out much cheaper and then you can install Ubuntu for free.
Do they sell laptops with no OS's installed? I thought they only sell Macs or WIndows PC's.

I am still not sure what to buy. To many choices. :exhausted

Woodrow
10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
That is the best choice. But, I do not know where you can find one. Other option would be to get one with the minimum software installed and reformat the HDD then install what ever OS is desired.

If I was to buy another laptop, this is how I wold go. A little pricey, but has all I would want.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?Base=4509003

OOOps, it does not show the options I selected when I click the link. Anyhow click configure and select the options you would like.

Be certain to click the downgrade to XP if you get it.

A-Believer-25
10-28-2009, 12:28 AM
It does look interesting.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 03:46 AM
Keep in mind that every laptop brand have "mid" and "top" models in their lineup, so its likely that mid range laptops suffer more reliability issues that the top ones.

But, comparing laptops with similar capabilities, Dell and Acer seem to have the better valued laptops compared to Sony and Toshiba.

Also, I suggest keeping whatever OS was preinstalled and opt for dual booting with Linux rather than a total reformat. You never know when you suddenly need to use Windows again. With the large capacities of HDD these days, space isn't as much of a premium as it was years back.

A-Believer-25
11-01-2009, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Alim Apprentice
Keep in mind that every laptop brand have "mid" and "top" models in their lineup, so its likely that mid range laptops suffer more reliability issues that the top ones.

But, comparing laptops with similar capabilities, Dell and Acer seem to have the better valued laptops compared to Sony and Toshiba.

Also, I suggest keeping whatever OS was preinstalled and opt for dual booting with Linux rather than a total reformat. You never know when you suddenly need to use Windows again. With the large capacities of HDD these days, space isn't as much of a premium as it was years back.
Interesting! Thanks for the advice, brother! :D

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 05:07 AM
No problemo!

What main uses would you have with the laptop? Do you plan to do some gaming on it? Watch movies? Perhaps we can narrow down your laptop choices by matching the laptop specs to your requirements :)

tetsujin
11-01-2009, 05:31 AM
When shopping for computers don't compare brands from the start.

Figure out how much you wan to spend. Is that including all the software as well? Remember that you usually don't get a copy of office suite or any antivirus/firewall.

Find out what you want to do with the machine. Prioritize it. Don't be vague. If using certain applications is important, then make sure you look for the right hardware.

Check the specifications. Don't go by what's written on the box. Ask the details about the processor, the ram, the motherboard.

Processors have a processing speed, a cache (L1/L2/L3), a front side bus, and a wattage consumption rating.

Memory/Ram has a speed and latency.

The motherboard has limitations for future upgrades. Ask if the RAM can be updated later, and if you can update the bios to get more out of it 3-4 years down the road.

Other basics:

A bigger hard drive isn't always better. Your computer will spend more time trying to find information. Aim for about 250 Gb or even less and get an external drive for archiving your personal files.

Don't worry about frills that you don't think you'll use. Most people have never used a lightscribe disk even if they have a burner. You don't need a remote for the laptop. you don't need an 18 inch screen.

If you're going to carry it around for school/work, make sure you check the weight. Stick to under 6 pounds, it will add up with the bag/charger/accessories.

If you are in a retail store and you can negotiate, don't ask for a bag or a printer because the cost on those items is low. Negotiate for useful software, an extra battery, or a comprehensive on-site/replacement warranty.

If all else is equal, then Here's my choice of brands:

#1) Lenovo/IBM (same thing), Asus, Fujitsu,

#2) HP, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, MSI

#3) LG, Sony,

Apple is not on the list because that is a completely different buying market. If you really want it, it's in the second group not because they're bad but because of upfront and future upgrade costs.

Remember, RAM and hard drive can be upgraded, and sometimes the wifi card as well. NEVER skimp on the motherboard or processor.

All the best,

Faysal

Muslimlearner
11-01-2009, 05:40 AM
I've heard Dell is like Nokia among lap tops brands :)

So I've got the new Dell INSPIRION with windows 7
it is great,4gb ramm,so fast,camera is cristal clear...only positives i can say about it.:statisfie

tetsujin
11-01-2009, 05:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haqeeka'
I've heard Dell is like Nokia among lap tops brands :)

So I've got the new Dell INSPIRION with windows 7
it is great,4gb ramm,so fast,camera is cristal clear...only positives i can say about it.:statisfie
Dell, and HP/Sony/LG/Gateway/Acer, do not manufacture any of the parts for laptops. They assemble them, at most, and provide customer service.

If you want good customer service and a good warranty go with Dell or HP. Just beware that they skimp on motherboards and processors to cut costs and give the casing a shiny gloss. A shiny plastic case doesn't make a good laptop.

All the best,

Faysal

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 06:10 AM
Yep. In fact, some brands use the same OEM motherboards, albeit with slight custom layout changes to fit in the cases. Though, the skimping part is more obvious in desktops than in laptops, since they are able reduce cost margins more.

Quid pro quo, assembling quality in laptops would play a greater role in that case, along with the right selection of peripheral components (such as webcams and speakers).

A-Believer-25
11-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I was planning to use my laptop for class assignments, internet, email. Instant messaging, movie, etc things like that. I have my PS3 for gaming. :p

I just want my new laptop to be fast, maybe 4 gigs of ram or so, the laptop has to be good quality and has to last long.

I do appreciate all the help! :)

Iris
11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Alhamdulillah I've always liked my Dells. The prices are okay and functioning is good. Don't know much about the rest. Acers and Asus are also reasonably-priced, with good functions.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by A-Believer-25
I was planning to use my laptop for class assignments, internet, email. Instant messaging, movie, etc things like that. I have my PS3 for gaming. :p

I just want my new laptop to be fast, maybe 4 gigs of ram or so, the laptop has to be good quality and has to last long.

I do appreciate all the help! :)
Perhaps you can check out Dell Inspiron 14z (the "z" is important).

- Relatively light and thin, long battery life, does not run that hot.
- Upgrade it to the Intel C2D SU9400 processor and you'll get decent performance. Not as powerful as standard Core 2 Duo, but uses a lot less energy and doesn't overheat. Its more than sufficient for the tasks you mention.
- Has a 802.11n wireless card, so you can still take advantage of the 802.11n networks in the future. This is important because you'll be hard pressed to find a cheap 802.11n card that fits your laptop years down the road.
- 4 GB RAM is standard.

You can refer to this link: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/noteb...4z&s=dhs&cs=19

To see what it looks like, check this video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr3LTkukQtg

Mr.President
11-01-2009, 04:38 PM
What abt fujitsu siemens !!!

A-Believer-25
11-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Perhaps you can check out Dell Inspiron 14z (the "z" is important).

- Relatively light and thin, long battery life, does not run that hot.
- Upgrade it to the Intel C2D SU9400 processor and you'll get decent performance. Not as powerful as standard Core 2 Duo, but uses a lot less energy and doesn't overheat. Its more than sufficient for the tasks you mention.
- Has a 802.11n wireless card, so you can still take advantage of the 802.11n networks in the future. This is important because you'll be hard pressed to find a cheap 802.11n card that fits your laptop years down the road.
- 4 GB RAM is standard.

You can refer to this link: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/noteb...4z&s=dhs&cs=19

To see what it looks like, check this video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr3LTkukQtg
Thanks! That laptop looks like it's really good! :)

Sampharo
11-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Like the people here told you before, don't go down the unreliable Dell / HP road. I had an HP and it screwed up all the time just like the Dell my colleague had. WHat you want to use the laptop for is just served by any of the laptops, so go for reliability and battery life, and then if the model you find needs it, upgrade the RAM or features you need.

In the PC laptop arena it's a Toshiba or Lenovo, workhorses with decent reliability, features and battery life. Want something that does more and functions on a whole other dimension, get a Macbook, worth the premium and the culture shock. No one who switched to Macbook is regretting it, while hordes are just switching away from PC-based laptops.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 05:54 PM
But Sampharo, are you assuming about the reliability because of yours and your colleagues laptops only? Perhaps if we increase the sampling size we would get a more accurate picture. At least in this forum, quite a number say Dell is quite good, including their support.

I agree about HP. Many of my friends seem to have consistent issues with their laptops. However, this is probably indicative to the range of models (ones that students can afford) only, rather than high end.

@ AB-25
A little off topic, but I'm a little envious that your getting a nice new laptop AND that you already have a PS3. I'm struggling to run games on my under powered laptop, and the PS3 slim still seems to expensive for me :(

A-Believer-25
11-01-2009, 06:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
Like the people here told you before, don't go down the unreliable Dell / HP road. I had anbook HP and it screwed up all the time just like the Dell my colleague had. WHat you want to use the laptop for is just served by any of the laptops, so go for reliability and battery life, and then if the model you find needs it, upgrade the RAM or features you need.

In the PC laptop arena it's a Toshiba or Lenovo, workhorses with decent reliability, features and battery life. Want something that does more and functions on a whole other dimension, get a Macbook, worth the premium and the culture shock. No one who switched to Macbook is regretting it, while hordes are just switching away from PC-based laptops.
Macbooks are really cool too. My brother has it and it’s really nice.

@ AB-25
A little off topic, but I'm a little envious that your getting a nice new laptop AND that you already have a PS3. I'm struggling to run games on my under powered laptop, and the PS3 slim still seems to expensive for me :(
I bought the PS3 back in 2007. I was able to save up for it but yeah, PS3 is expensive.

I am able to get a new laptop because I recieve financial aid and they give me some extra money that I can spend on what I want I am planning on using it for a new laptop because my current HP laptop is no good.

tetsujin
11-02-2009, 02:32 AM
Some suggestions:

If you are okay with ordering online:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...471&CatId=4939

Item number H24-13010

If that's outside your budget then:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...516&CatId=4939

Item number: H24-13004

A-Believer-25
11-03-2009, 02:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tetsujin
Some suggestions:

If you are okay with ordering online:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...471&CatId=4939

Item number H24-13010

If that's outside your budget then:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...516&CatId=4939

Item number: H24-13004
Thanks! So much choices lol :)

Humbler_359
11-03-2009, 02:35 AM
:sl:

You can buy new laptop with a great deal cheap price in EBAY !

I have been ordered Dell Laptop through ebay online, it is working great and perferct. The price was $250 compared to TigerDirect's prices!

Try newEgg.com, Tigerdirect.com, ebay.com, futureshop.com. Research before purchase it. :D

OurIslamic
11-03-2009, 02:53 AM
When in doubt, make du'a to Allah (SWT). :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.