/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to trap knowledge in your head

Salahudeen
10-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Aslaam alaykum, does anyone know a good way to listen to a lecture and remember key points that were made in it. I've tried making notes but I write really slow and when i write fast it just gets messy and no 1 in the world can read what I wrote :(

and when i write notes the lecturer talks soo fast that I can't remember what he said cos I'm focusing on the next part of what he's saying :hmm:

I feel so dum I don't know what's happened to me, it's the same with everything, even with juma khutba's, I listen to the whole khutba but if you asked me an hour later what it was about I'd have a hard time telling you.

It's like absolutely everything goes in 1 ear and out the other nothing sticks at all :cry:

before I used to be able to listen to lectures and come away remembering the whole thing and what was being discussed. I could summarise the whole thing up but now I don't remember anything or what it was about :cry:

I remember reading somewhere it's possible sins can affect your memory, I remember hearing a story about Imam shafi I think, who couldn't remember a hadith or something, he was complaining of weak memory and it was cos he had done a minor sin.

it's the same with books, if I read 2 pages of a book and you asked me to explain a few mins later what they were about I wouldn't be able to remember what I just read, I'd have to go and open the book again and read the pages again. :S

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
GuestFellow
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
:wa:

I'm having the same problems. My lecturer is crazy. She looses it in the classroom and starts talking about her son....who apparently is a puppy but anyway. I have given up on the lecturer. She's lost it. She came to me and said she didn't like me since I passed my assignment. :skeleton: I don't know what is going on...what I decided to do is teach myself.

I did the following:

1. Get the course syllabus. This told me what I needed to know to pass my exams. I use the course syllabus as a checklist.

2. Get books that cover some of the topics in the syllabus. You may have to get more than one book. Google search engine helped me a lot too.

3. Make notes on each topics. Write down only the relevant points and right the page reference down. I would read the notes everyday and answer some questions and check if you got them right.

4. Download past exam papers, read past exam reports and learn the exam technique.

Add your lecturer notes with your own work if you can read your handwriting.

Just think positive. I find it easier to remember my work and I associate with funny things.

Read this topic... http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...70-memory.html

Oh read this topic...it might help. http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...063-notes.html

I'm at college not at University. So I'm not sure how helpful this might be...

Hugo
10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
:wa:

I'm having the same problems. My lecturer is crazy. She looses it in the classroom and starts talking about her son....who apparently is a puppy but anyway. I have given up on the lecturer. She's lost it. She came to me and said she didn't like me since I passed my assignment. :skeleton: I don't know what is going on...what I decided to do is teach myself.

I did the following:

1. Get the course syllabus. This told me what I needed to know to pass my exams. I use the course syllabus as a checklist.

2. Get books that cover some of the topics in the syllabus. You may have to get more than one book. Google search engine helped me a lot too.

3. Make notes on each topics. Write down only the relevant points and right the page reference down. I would read the notes everyday and answer some questions and check if you got them right.

4. Download past exam papers, read past exam reports and learn the exam technique.

Add your lecturer notes with your own work if you can read your handwriting.

Just think positive. I find it easier to remember my work and I associate with funny things.

Read this topic... http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...70-memory.html

Oh read this topic...it might help. http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...063-notes.html

I'm at college not at University. So I'm not sure how helpful this might be...
You have I think to ask yourself - do I want it all to be easy? There are no short cuts to learning, no slick techniques and it is only hard work and persistent effort that will get you there. Learning is not just about remembering things indeed it is primarily about USING the knowledge, practising it if you like - that is how you learn. So constantly seek and ask questions and then YOU work hard to get the answers.

GuestFellow
10-27-2009, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
You have I think to ask yourself - do I want it all to be easy? There are no short cuts to learning, no slick techniques and it is only hard work and persistent effort that will get you there. Learning is not just about remembering things indeed it is primarily about USING the knowledge, practising it if you like - that is how you learn. So constantly seek and ask questions and then YOU work hard to get the answers.
I don't tend to view it has hard or easy. I just get it over and done with. :/
My style of learning is by learning the material and not taking into account how hard it is.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
cat eyes
10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
Aslaam alaykum, does anyone know a good way to listen to a lecture and remember key points that were made in it. I've tried making notes but I write really slow and when i write fast it just gets messy and no 1 in the world can read what I wrote :(

and when i write notes the lecturer talks soo fast that I can't remember what he said cos I'm focusing on the next part of what he's saying :hmm:

I feel so dum I don't know what's happened to me, it's the same with everything, even with juma khutba's, I listen to the whole khutba but if you asked me an hour later what it was about I'd have a hard time telling you.

It's like absolutely everything goes in 1 ear and out the other nothing sticks at all :cry:

before I used to be able to listen to lectures and come away remembering the whole thing and what was being discussed. I could summarise the whole thing up but now I don't remember anything or what it was about :cry:

I remember reading somewhere it's possible sins can affect your memory, I remember hearing a story about Imam shafi I think, who couldn't remember a hadith or something, he was complaining of weak memory and it was cos he had done a minor sin.

it's the same with books, if I read 2 pages of a book and you asked me to explain a few mins later what they were about I wouldn't be able to remember what I just read, I'd have to go and open the book again and read the pages again. :S
just talk with a certain little person to cheer you up:exhausted

cat eyes
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
it could be that you find it hard to concentrate because your teacher is to geeky and it looks like he has been hiding away in his room for the past 40years:giggling:

Salahudeen
10-27-2009, 09:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
it could be that you find it hard to concentrate because your teacher is to geeky and it looks like he has been hiding away in his room for the past 40years:giggling:
:nervous: that was a secret u knoooooo, What if he's reading this and he knows what I think of him and gives me low grade :nervous:

noo noo my teacher isn't geeky at all he's very cool yep. We have enthrawling discussions in class about variables and pcsyciatry and physiolgy very good teacher you know. He's one of the lads, infact my favourite teacher, I like all my teachers yep. :shade:

Thanks for replies guys I don't get what's going on with my stupid brain :@ maybe it needs upgrading. Can some 1 upgrade it for me so I have super tastic memory :)

I'll try reading that dua you posted guestfellow, I think dua is the solution, in the past when I was at my peak of brain power LOL and remembered everything that was said to me, I used to make loads of dua to Allah to make me clever lol.

but then I stopped and became stupid again :@

I wish I had the ability to take an interest in something I didn't find interesting then I'd be top student.

If only I found my course as interesting as Islam then I'd pass it so easily LOL.

but I'm learning this stuff well letting it pass through my brain briefly and fly out the other ear, and I don't find it interesting and mentally stimulating :(

I'm gonna try and make myself interested, I'm just going to pretend it's a video game that I'm playing lol. and the other players are the other students :p

syilla
10-28-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't think there is a short cut.

You only have to study smart.

To be able to study smart...

1. to study when you're mind is alert.
2. to eat right
3. do exercises 2-3 times a week
4. not to have dull routine or schedule
5. focus on the thing to study first.
6. to know / make assumptions what will the questions will be
7. to keep writing
8. when you can not focus...just trick your mind say i only want to read another few minutes...then add another few minutes then add another few minutes.
8. always remember is hard to memorise words and numbers...so draw the notes, make a diagrams, make it colourful... make a fun story from it...
9. remember... memorising is like cheat our mind to memorise
10. remember too...study smart comes from a good habit of studying. so make it a good habit.

Hugo
10-28-2009, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I don't tend to view it has hard or easy. I just get it over and done with. :/
My style of learning is by learning the material and not taking into account how hard it is.
If I may say so the very fact that you want 'it over and done with' is indicative of someone who does not really want to learn. Of course learning can be a chore sometimes but it always requires perverseness and perseverance.

cat eyes
10-28-2009, 04:43 PM
heehe don't lie now to get good grades! you have a geeky teacher and you throw balls of paper at him when hes not looking. sometimes i don't feel to learn and i need huge injection of some kind lol :) its like i don't want to learn and i want to study something else and have fun with it you know what i mean:p

Salahudeen
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
^lol I'm not lying!!! my teacher is cool when he's not talking bout geeky stuff lol.

When you feel like that just take a break from learning and relax then go back to it.

Thanks for all the replies guys, hugo love ur thread about this thanks man.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 02:47 AM
Its only natural that new information goes in one ear and goes out the other quickly :P

I suggest to do some pre studying on what the lecturer will present in class. That way, you will know the general ideas of what he is going to teach about. You'll just need to focus on any concepts that need explanation in detail.

If not, your brain is trying to work overtime trying to remember the information, tell your hands to write what was processed, and also figure out what on earth the lecturer is talking about.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.