PDA

View Full Version : Should Muslims be using facebook?



Raphael
10-27-2009, 09:36 PM
This thread will probably get ignored, but I'd be interested in hearing what peeps here think....

I've heard the "depends how you use it" argument a lot but surely that can be used to justify a lot of things. :heated:

"Actions are but intentions", an often misquoted hadith, especially when nuffs are involved.

I've also heard a lot of imams are using it, but perhaps they are naive to the way the youth use it?

...
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mujahideen92
10-27-2009, 09:38 PM
I very rarely use Facebook, if i do its to talk with friends and family.
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mujahideen92
I very rarely use Facebook, if i do its to talk with friends and family.

Fair point, but in the age of technology surely there are many avenues to be able to do that?
Reply

Mujahideen92
10-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah mostly i just email. As i said i very rarely use Facebook
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
GuestFellow
10-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't need facebook. I don't have anyone to talk to. Muslims can use facebook but not to mix with the wrong sort of people.
Reply

Woodrow
10-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Face book seen in it's basic sense is a computer program. Like all programs it is a tool and like all tools it can be used for good, evil, or indifferent. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But, that does not mean Facebook itself is wrong.
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Face book seen in it's basic sense is a computer program. Like all programs it is a tool and like all tools it can be used for good, evil, or indifferent. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But, that does not mean Facebook itself is wrong.

A bar seen in its basic sense is just a room. Like all rooms it is a place, and like all places it can be used for good, evil or indifference. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But that doesn't mean a bar itself is wrong.


Forgive me bro!

I feel a public stoning is coming round the corner. Go easy I'm new! :embarrass
Reply

Hayfa
10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Facebook is a huge distraction, people can use it for Islamic purposes but i feel 90% is fitnah.

What i dislike about FB is the pointless pictures people post especially the one were there in the toilet mirror taking snapshots of themselves with their mobile phones. haha (why does everyone have one of them?)

Its good for businesses and Islamic event purposes but that's all really...i was glad to get rid of mine :) mine seemed pretty boring compared to the rest, when your on and not indulging with all the haram stuff you might aswell get off. You can stay in contact with family and friends through the phone man.

Another thing i hate about FB is how people have made it a matrimonial website, most people i know have apparently found there soul mates. pufft.

I just can't stand facebook, sorry for my complaining but i think youth should stay away from it and then the pass rates will also increase. teehe
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Hayfa
Facebook is a huge distraction, people can use it for Islamic purposes but i feel 90% is fitnah.
Since facebook is not required in peoples life, or something they cannot escape (photo id comes to mind) shouldn't even a 1% fitnah be enough to make someone sincere want to leave?

:hmm:
Reply

Woodrow
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
A bar seen in its basic sense is just a room. Like all rooms it is a place, and like all places it can be used for good, evil or indifference. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But that doesn't mean a bar itself is wrong.


Forgive me bro!

I feel a public stoning is coming round the corner. Go easy I'm new! :embarrass
No public stoning today. Maybe a small pebbling.

To use that as an analogy with Facebook. It would be the room is the program. Adding the alcohol to make the program function as a bar would be evil use of the program. A bar is not simply a room, it is a room stocked for a single purpose, that we find to be evil.
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 10:21 PM
My point in the analogy was not necessarily the alcohol. What about all the lovely peoples who sit in a bar and don't drink. A little coke and lemon doesn't break khamr rules does it?

The analogy was meant to point towards free mixing, and I'm not talking about the DJ. *








*I thought it was funny at the time :embarrass
Reply

Woodrow
10-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
My point in the analogy was not necessarily the alcohol. What about all the lovely peoples who sit in a bar and don't drink. A little coke and lemon doesn't break khamr rules does it?

The analogy was meant to point towards free mixing, and I'm not talking about the DJ. *








*I thought it was funny at the time :embarrass
No problem, I see your point now (check your reps). You present a strong case as to why Muslims should not use it.
Reply

Hayfa
10-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Since facebook is not required in peoples life, or something they cannot escape (photo id comes to mind) shouldn't even a 1% fitnah be enough to make someone sincere want to leave?

:hmm:
Indeed, i agree...
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm surprised there is such little resistance, I was told that a lot of Muslims use it. I don't know of many who actually don't use it in the US!

I guess times are a changin'
Reply

mahfuja
10-27-2009, 10:45 PM
*rolls in a fb user to argue her case* :P

I dont agree with the bar analogy ... a bar has alcohol ... free mixing ... music ... u enter a bar u can CHOOSE not to drink alcohol or free mix but ultimately you are in a negative environment

let me give you an analogy that probably wont be agreed on ... but here goes ... TV is not haram/evil ... what you CHOOSE to watch is where your good/bad deeds lie ... ie tune into Islam channel/peace tv = good ... x factor and what not = bad

similarly ... fb itself is not an evil medium ... it has enough privacy options to block out who you want and allow who you want. you choose whether u want pics up ... u choose whether u want to free mix IF you free mix that is ... its all down to youuuu

I personally think fb is a great way to publicise isoc events ... or any events for that matter and to be informed about great upcoming events ...

hmmm ...
Reply

Raphael
10-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by mahfuja
I dont agree with the bar analogy ... a bar has alcohol ... free mixing ... music ... u enter a bar u can CHOOSE not to drink alcohol or free mix but ultimately you are in a negative environment
Firstly jazakAllah for taking the baton up. It reminds me of University, where most of the lecture room have no idea whats going on, but they wait for someone else to ask the first question....

I disagree with the TV analogy because you are responsible for what you watch.

However in a "social setting" like facebook, the actions of others can have a direct and negative impact on you. That is why the bar analogy I felt was better.

Let us strip the bar from alcohol and music, just so that we are clear what I mean about free mixing. Imagine a sister just sitting in this room. The fact that she is in an environment which makes her approachable to a male is evil enough, without any alcohol or music present.

Correct me if my information is wrong, but a user can be searched for and contacted via facebook, regardless of settings? Considering that the average *pious* unmarried Muslim male is constantly thinking of "marriage", and the fact that a platform exists that gives him the opportunity to contact a sister he's *seen around* directly and unmoderated is enough reason for every sister to leave the site.

Islam came not to abolish an evil, but to destroy every path to it.
Reply

Mujahideen92
10-27-2009, 11:45 PM
I dont really like Facebook that much, people post the most pointless stuff that nobody cares about.

"Joe had a great day"

NOBODY CARES.
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-27-2009, 11:47 PM
I have one but rarely use it...i have family and friends on it. I see no point in posting photos, tho many do. It's all part of the net...you are responsible for what you do in every part of it, not just facebook. Anything. Just like we are on this forum...yea it's Islamic..but people can take it as an avenue to chit chat or anything else.
Reply

mahfuja
10-27-2009, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Let us strip the bar from alcohol and music, just so that we are clear what I mean about free mixing. Imagine a sister just sitting in this room. The fact that she is in an environment which makes her approachable to a male is evil enough, without any alcohol or music present.

Correct me if my information is wrong, but a user can be searched for and contacted via facebook, regardless of settings? Considering that the average *pious* unmarried Muslim male is constantly thinking of "marriage", and the fact that a platform exists that gives him the opportunity to contact a sister he's *seen around* directly and unmoderated is enough reason for every sister to leave the site.

Islam came not to abolish an evil, but to destroy every path to it.
man now i feel like i'm an ambassador for fb ... but anyway ... i still agree with my tv analogy because its all down to OUR choice of how we use/misuse a certain material.

fb has privacy settings whereby only YOU can contact others and no one can contact you ... if they search your name you'll appear blacked out ... nor can they see your picture ... nor can they privately message you or add you as a friend. hence i said its all down to one's own action.

BarakAllah feek bro.
Reply

cat eyes
10-27-2009, 11:59 PM
i don't use fb nor will i ever the sisters on it make me +o( showing there big faces to non mahrams as the sister hayfa said its full of fitnah
Reply

Raphael
10-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
i don't use fb nor will i ever the sisters on it make me +o( showing there big faces to non mahrams as the sister hayfa said its full of fitnah
Sister, jazakAllah for your input, and mashAllah it makes me very happy that you are not on it.

Having said that, I would exercise caution when saying that your sisters in Islam make you sick, regardless of their actions. Afterall no one knows who is greater in the eyes of Allah (swt).

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.

Surat Al-Ĥujurāt 49:11
Quran



This is advise for myself first and foremost. I am the most in need of Mercy.


:embarrass
Reply

cat eyes
10-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Sister, jazakAllah for your input, and mashAllah it makes me very happy that you are not on it.

Having said that, I would exercise caution when saying that your sisters in Islam make you sick, regardless of their actions. Afterall no one knows who is greater in the eyes of Allah (swt).

O ye who believe! Let not some men among you laugh at others: It may be that the (latter) are better than the (former): Nor let some women laugh at others: It may be that the (latter are better than the (former): Nor defame nor be sarcastic to each other, nor call each other by (offensive) nicknames: Ill-seeming is a name connoting wickedness, (to be used of one) after he has believed: And those who do not desist are (indeed) doing wrong.

Surat Al-Ĥujurāt 49:11
Quran



This is advise for myself first and foremost. I am the most in need of Mercy.


:embarrass
thanks for that reminder sis it just dose turn my stomach a tiny bit you know that sickening feeling that you get when you see your sister doing something you don't like :(
Reply

nocturnal
10-28-2009, 01:02 AM
I think it depends how you use it. There is fitna, but equally, there's alot of potential to do good if you use it in a sensible and responsible manner.
Reply

Beardo
10-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Yeah, to be honest... Not just FaceBook, but the Internet in general holds more harm than good in my opinion.

Hypocritical for me to say, considering my life is on the Internet and I recently have developed a FaceBook account, but FaceBook is not the place to be! Don't even GO on that site! It's hypnotizing.
Reply

Ansariyah
10-28-2009, 01:06 AM
I had people introduce themselves to me, n ask me straight away ..'u on facebook'? Its like almost 'how ru'..''hi..u on facebook'' lol.

I know even people who sit on 2 computers n talk on face'book..if thats not madness dont know wat it iz.

I dont have time for facebook.
Reply

umm junaid
10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
i deleted my FB because of the fitanah it distracts u from allsorts of stuff, and alhamdulillah i feel so much better without facebook.
btw it's also a waste of time for people mostly muslims who are actually addicted to facebook.
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Anything u get addicted to is a distraction, so yea. If your life is fb, then its a prob :D
Reply

Raphael
10-28-2009, 03:11 AM
Facebook to the vast majority of Muslim youth is like Backstreet Boys to an asian rudeboy...their public contempt is only a mask for their private addiction!

The sister was brave to defend its use, considering there are a large number of people who use it silently.

The problem comes down to herd behaviour. "But all my friends and family are on it".

Without loss of generality, I think most Muslims fall into four recognisable categories:

1. "The Jahil" This delightful flavour typically have Arabic sounding names, and unfortunately there ends their visible connection to Islam.

2. "Coming of Age" The flavour is a broad spectrum of Muslims that recognise and embrace their identity, however range anywhere from Ramadan Muslims, who switch from pious to poisonous on the first sms announcement of Eid, to Jummah Muslims, who also perform dhikr in their own way.

3. "Praakteesing" ranges from hitting 3 times a day, to 5 times on occasion. The cool brother and feisty hijabi usually fit in this category too as they move from the previous section having found their deen.

4. "Pious" Usually are spoken with a lot of mashAllahs after their name by other people. The never miss fajr crew is the pride and joy of the ummah.


The following is based on what I have heard, but every category above is represented on facebook, not just by a few people either!


I would say without a shadow of a doubt, facebook is the most dangerous for category 4.

The very people who can potentially use facebook in an appropriate way (if that is possible?) are taken as examples by category 2, who perhaps cannot. These role models provide a justification for its use by people with less self control, leading to its use in all the wrong ways by a lot of Muslim youth.

The most tragic is category 3, because people with massive potential justify clear errors, and major no nos under an umbrella of potential good. This could range from dawah, to event promotion - I have literally heard the works!

However, as the sister pointed out before, when Muslimah think that its ok to put a picture of themselves up on such a public forum, there is something wrong!
Reply

Afg
10-28-2009, 04:02 AM
I don't have facebook and i don't plan on having one. Personally i don't see a use for it. I have heard from others about the many games and notifications here and there. I don't know, i just would not want to have one.
Reply

sirajstc
10-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Good things for ok

byw there 2 bad things some naked pics so better avoid it :)
Reply

Ramadhan
10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Correct me if my information is wrong, but a user can be searched for and contacted via facebook, regardless of settings?
Actually, the privacy settings of Facebook is so comprehensive that you can set it to the max if you wish. No one can search you, and no one can see pictures of you or your family or your friends who are on your Facebook unless you invite them or give them privacy rights.

I used to get on FB almost daily, but this was two years ago, when there were not much garbage on FB.
Now I only check my FB one a week or when there is private message from friends/family.
Reply

Raphael
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
^^

JazakAllah brother for the info. I'm not sure if that has made it better or worse, the fact that people can now cover up that they are on it, all the while being in a crowd of like minded users, who sometimes oppose a wrong because they are "in it together"?
Reply

Iris
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
There are a lot of my friends from my collegedays who I neither mail nor talk to on msn, nor call(they're in different countries) Some of these ex-collegemates often put up useful info on upcoming exams and job opportunities only on FB, so that's why I'm there. I don't post pics...I don't write on 'walls', I don't take those dumb quizzes, I add only people I have known in real life(and there are hardly any people of the opposite 'gender' in my 'friends' list) I check it and sign out within a minute usually...A lot of the times I've deactivated it and left it so for months, activated it only when I needed to. Where's the haramness?
The only times I feel uncomfortable there is when those 'friends' put up strange pictures of themselves...then again I have the option of not seeing them.

It depends on how you use it and what you use it for. 'Internet' in itself is something a lot of people use to gain access to fitnah(much more than Television I daresay) it's something they can do without even stepping out of the comfort of their bedroom. Does that make it forbidden for Muslims??
Reply

Raphael
10-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Iris
(and there are hardly any people of the opposite 'gender' in my 'friends' list)
Is "many people" from the opposite gender worse than "hardly any"? Do numbers matter? Its an honest question to you sister.
Reply

Eliphaz
10-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Good debate, and a very current issue.

I completely agree that Fakebook, I mean Facebook :p is a double-edged sword, and might be a case of the shepherd who pastures around a sanctuary of prohibition.

I also feel it is difficult to apply any metaphor to Facebook because social networking sites are such a revolutionary thing, a true paradigm shift as big as the invention of the internet itself, and therefore also posing as big a dilemma in terms of balancing the usefulness and benefits offered against protecting ones' self from the "e-haraam".

I think the quality of Facebook no-one seems to have mentioned, besides the freemixing aspect, is the timewasting aspect, which is not as obvious. Consider that typical users spend several hours a day writing on each others' walls, browsing galleries, writing comments, updating their own 'status' from 'asleep' to 'wasting my life away', etc, etc. ;D

Islam, as far as I am aware, condemns timewasting. The nature of FB is also that it is inherently addictive, and is hardly private despite any amount of privacy settings one tries to put in place. Think about all the information they can gather on you. I feel the 'friends' system is highly flawed without a lot of willpower to just say no to those people you've hardly met and don't really care for.
Reply

Woodrow
10-29-2009, 02:03 AM
just my own views.

Probably the only Muslims who could use facebook wisely and not fall into fitnah would be a very devout and wise one. But, paradoxically such a person would have no need or desire to use it.
Reply

sirajstc
10-29-2009, 04:45 AM
Originally Posted by umm junaid
i deleted my FB because of the fitanah it distracts u from allsorts of stuff, and alhamdulillah i feel so much better without facebook.
btw it's also a waste of time for people mostly muslims who are actually addicted to facebook.

yeah saw true:statisfie
Reply

Iris
10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Is "many people" from the opposite gender worse than "hardly any"? Do numbers matter? Its an honest question to you sister.
Umm, yes? I have only one at the moment and he's a relative. It's not the same as having hundreds of random people on your list and then putting up cute pictures of yourself to impress them or whatever. And also, it depends on how you use the application, are you using it to send virtual 'flowers' and 'drinks' to each other or putting up ahadith and verses from the Quran as status updates to gather some good deeds by sharing knowledge.

Okay I do agree with the bit that fitnah is involved too directly in facebook as I heard of a couple of incidents where married sisters open their facebook in front of their husbands and the husbands get to see their female friends' profiles etc. Same goes for people who share passwords with their friends or leave their account 'signed in'. No matter how much of privacy precaution we take, this is one thing that's uncontrollable...i.e. who's sitting on the other side of the screen.

Oh facebook facebook, what to do? ): I really want to keep in touch with what's happening in my friends' professional lives...i wish there was another way.
Reply

Somaiyah
10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Salam,
I don't find Facebook good in many things. I have seen many both sisters and relatives that I feel should be more careful with what they do on Facebook. I feel that specially sisters have easy to feel more secure and upload pictures of themselves in a situation or clothing that they would never show themselves outdoors. Just because they feel safe with having only girls in their contact list. But then they realize that they have that album opened for friends' friends to see or that a sister might forget to sign out from her Facebook and a man might use her account for a bad purpose. The same thing with msn actually. We can never be sure of Internet.
I use Facebook for a few purposes: To upload new islamic pictures that I've found, upload random pictures (mostly not of me), talk with my sisters because I have no sisters where I live, to get to know new sisters and to post topics sometimes about something that I have thought of mostly Islamic stuff. And sometimes these topics make my sisters think about this too and might lead to something good inshallah. So I really believe that it's the intentions and how you use it that is more important than Facebook itself.
Reply

Raphael
10-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Iris
Umm, yes? I have only one at the moment and he's a relative. It's not the same as having hundreds of random people on your list and then putting up cute pictures of yourself to impress them or whatever. And also, it depends on how you use the application, are you using it to send virtual 'flowers' and 'drinks' to each other or putting up ahadith and verses from the Quran as status updates to gather some good deeds by sharing knowledge.
Ok sister, the image construed from "there are hardly any people of the opposite 'gender' in my 'friends' list" to "I have only one at the moment and he's a relative" is a jump! Never mind, maybe there was just some confusion in the language used.

Of course it is not the relation that is important, but whether the male is mahram, a big difference!


Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
I feel that specially sisters have easy to feel more secure and upload pictures of themselves in a situation or clothing that they would never show themselves outdoors. Just because they feel safe with having only girls in their contact list. But then they realize that they have that album opened for friends' friends to see or that a sister might forget to sign out from her Facebook and a man might use her account for a bad purpose.

If I could pose the following question...

What happens if a sister uploads pictures of herself -on any site- and someone hijacks the account and steals the pictures! Who is at fault? Does the perpetrator take unconditional blame?

Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
Good debate, and a very current issue.
I think the quality of Facebook no-one seems to have mentioned, besides the freemixing aspect, is the timewasting aspect, which is not as obvious. Consider that typical users spend several hours a day writing on each others' walls, browsing galleries, writing comments, updating their own 'status' from 'asleep' to 'wasting my life away', etc, etc. ;D

Islam, as far as I am aware, condemns timewasting. The nature of FB is also that it is inherently addictive, and is hardly private despite any amount of privacy settings one tries to put in place. Think about all the information they can gather on you. I feel the 'friends' system is highly flawed without a lot of willpower to just say no to those people you've hardly met and don't really care for.
Facebook is a lot more than time-wasting. Its dangers run far beyond that.


Originally Posted by Woodrow
just my own views.

Probably the only Muslims who could use facebook wisely and not fall into fitnah would be a very devout and wise one. But, paradoxically such a person would have no need or desire to use it.
Nail-on-the-proverbial-head
Reply

Eliphaz
10-31-2009, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
just my own views.

Probably the only Muslims who could use facebook wisely and not fall into fitnah would be a very devout and wise one. But, paradoxically such a person would have no need or desire to use it.
^^ This.


The problem nowadays is also that many major companies you want to work for expect you to be on Facebook, so you can truly be "one of the family". (Translation: so that they can screen you to make sure you are a "normal" person and not an "antisocial abnormal undesirable freak".)

In other words it seems that office politics have spilled over into the social networking world to create a kind of mutant hybrid Godzilla-type monstrosity.

I can't wait to be employed! :hmm:
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-31-2009, 04:43 PM
I dont do anything on facebook...it's there but dont really use. I just see what the other person is doing...I'm not the strongest person in deen...but i havent gotten myself into any fitnah...so it's not the same for all..i go on this like rollercoaster...i deactivate fb but den a cuzin will wana show me something on there or they will show my mum photos of the kids or something...so then i end up logging back in...

:sl:
Reply

Raphael
10-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I heard this, and thought it was quite funny! ;D

Not sure whether its true because I've never used it -


Facebook - Where real nobodies, become fake somebodies!
Reply

Iris
10-31-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
just my own views.

Probably the only Muslims who could use facebook wisely and not fall into fitnah would be a very devout and wise one. But, paradoxically such a person would have no need or desire to use it.
I'm sorry but if that's another way of saying, only the nonserious/nondevout Muslims and Muslimahs use facebook, then that would be a very serious accusation.

Maybe that's not what you're getting at, but I have seen a lot of facebook antagonists give this attitude to facebook users. Patronising looks and looking down upon them like they're worthless creatures. Everyone's responsible for their own actions aren't they? They can fall into fitnah using youtube as well, do you go and stop everyone from that? And like I said earlier, just using internet can take you towards fitnah as it is. So why don't we all stop using that as well? Because I know some devout parents who don't let their kids use internet/cell phones/television(Yes, I've known a kid who grew up without ever watching television) So where do you draw the line in this age? It's an honest question. Because I've been debating for and against these things inside my head for quite some time now.

Facebook is a networking site, I.e. keeping in touch with friends etc. And how is it any different than MSAs etc in universities where all Muslims 'get-together' regardless of sex and age and interact?
Anyway if people are using facebook for purposes other than that, it's their own fault, isn't it. Same goes for twitter and all the other junk out there.
Reply

Re.TiReD
10-31-2009, 07:36 PM
[BANANA]Say NO To FitnahFace!![/BANANA]
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
10-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Iris
I'm sorry but if that's another way of saying, only the nonserious/nondevout Muslims and Muslimahs use facebook, then that would be a very serious accusation.

Maybe that's not what you're getting at, but I have seen a lot of facebook antagonists give this attitude to facebook users. Patronising looks and looking down upon them like they're worthless creatures. Everyone's responsible for their own actions aren't they? They can fall into fitnah using youtube as well, do you go and stop everyone from that? And like I said earlier, just using internet can take you towards fitnah as it is. So why don't we all stop using that as well? Because I know some devout parents who don't let their kids use internet/cell phones/television(Yes, I've known a kid who grew up without ever watching television) So where do you draw the line in this age? It's an honest question. Because I've been debating for and against these things inside my head for quite some time now.

Facebook is a networking site, I.e. keeping in touch with friends etc. And how is it any different than MSAs etc in universities where all Muslims 'get-together' regardless of sex and age and interact?
Anyway if people are using facebook for purposes other than that, it's their own fault, isn't it. Same goes for twitter and all the other junk out there.
I'm not defending facebook but these too are my thoughts...
If you wana say no to facebook, say no to just about everything else....or just the net in general.
Facebook or no facebook, your chances of falling into fitnah doesn't automatically go away.
Reply

Humbler_359
10-31-2009, 08:01 PM
:sl:,

I missed you all :D!!!

I was just decided to join FB recently but NOT addicted or garbage things. I was very careful on private setting, I don't need too many friends (100+ people pointless). I only invite family, cousins, brothers, good simple friends. I checked my email if there is FB private messages from family/friends and rarely use FB much ~

That's it !

Be caution, you must avoid christian friends on your FB that lead you away from Islam (ie. Rafiq Bary).


:wa:
Reply

Mujahideen92
10-31-2009, 09:24 PM
FB isnt a huge problem for me because i dont really enjoy using it. People post the most pointless things lol
Reply

Alim Apprentice
10-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Iris
I'm sorry but if that's another way of saying, only the nonserious/nondevout Muslims and Muslimahs use facebook, then that would be a very serious accusation.

Maybe that's not what you're getting at, but I have seen a lot of facebook antagonists give this attitude to facebook users. Patronising looks and looking down upon them like they're worthless creatures. Everyone's responsible for their own actions aren't they? They can fall into fitnah using youtube as well, do you go and stop everyone from that? And like I said earlier, just using internet can take you towards fitnah as it is. So why don't we all stop using that as well? Because I know some devout parents who don't let their kids use internet/cell phones/television(Yes, I've known a kid who grew up without ever watching television) So where do you draw the line in this age? It's an honest question. Because I've been debating for and against these things inside my head for quite some time now.

Facebook is a networking site, I.e. keeping in touch with friends etc. And how is it any different than MSAs etc in universities where all Muslims 'get-together' regardless of sex and age and interact?
Anyway if people are using facebook for purposes other than that, it's their own fault, isn't it. Same goes for twitter and all the other junk out there.
Facebook is merely a tool for communication. There are many alternative tools out there, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. At the same time, each Muslim behaves differently to these tools regardless if the are considered "devout" or not.

If it is statistically true that Muslims who use Facebook fall into fitnah, then thats an indication that more caution is needed for this type of tool. You are right to debate about this things, but in the end, its about educating others about the benefits and dangers. Only then can users make inform decisions.

Ignorance is certainly not a bliss in these situations.
Reply

Ar-RaYYan
11-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Honestly i think it all depends on how you use it and how much of your time your spend on it.
Reply

BlissfullyJaded
11-01-2009, 07:29 AM
:sl:

I think Facebook is overrated, both in the negatives and the positives. The ones who are against it, are passionately so and the ones who are for it are passionately. It's just a social networking site, and like anything on the Internet, even some Islamic forums, there is an avenue for fitnah to arise. If you can handle not having the opposite gender on your list and not being on for way too long that's cool...

Facebook - Where real nobodies, become fake somebodies!
True, sadly enough. Way back when it started and nobody had their profiles private, I saw way too many people have 100s of pictures of themselves posing like their actors/actresses. They create a really fake and shallow life for themselves, one that I guess they wish they really had. :-/

The ulaama who are on there, most probably are aware of what the youth are getting up to. However, Facebook is also the easiest way to attract a huge audience and send out updates regarding events and stuff to the more sane crowd.
Reply

Somaiyah
11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
If I could pose the following question...

What happens if a sister uploads pictures of herself -on any site- and someone hijacks the account and steals the pictures! Who is at fault? Does the perpetrator take unconditional blame?
What does that have to do with my opinion of Facebook and what I said...?
Reply

cat eyes
11-01-2009, 06:25 PM
this is probably a stupid question;D but i was just wanting to know lets say you are pretty so u upload your picture can people give bad eyes to it?
Reply

Woodrow
11-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
this is probably a stupid question;D but i was just wanting to know lets say you are pretty so u upload your picture can people give bad eyes to it?
a danger with posting any pictures any place on line. They can be snaged and altered by unscrupulous people then reposted. I had that happen to a friend a few years back and the "Doctored" still show up on websites. It has cost my friend many jobs.
Reply

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Woodrow is right. People with evil motives can ruin other peoples reputation and lives with doctored photos.
Reply

aadil77
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't know much about facebook, can anyone recommend using it just for keeping in contact. Cause I feel I'm losing contact with my brothers and friends, everyone is splitting up, moving country, city etc and then when they have new fone numbers you cant get a hold of them and now people hardly use msn as well.
Reply

Raphael
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
What does that have to do with my opinion of Facebook and what I said...?
You had made a valid point about sisters being free on their profiles without realising who may be seeing their pictures. I was just asking your opinion, it wasn't meant to be an attack!
Reply

Salahudeen
11-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm on fb but don't have my picture, just a palestinian flag, and on my page I have loads of Islamic vids from youtube.

I added a few of my friends from work on fb and they started watching the vids I had posted on my profile and said they found them interesting and they took an interest in Islam and started asking me questions about it.

I had vids on there by Khalid Yasin talking about the purpose of life. A topic that interests ppl :)

but it's a good way to reach people indirectly, I'm hoping all the people on my friend list watch the vids on my profile and benefit from them so I can get reward :p
Reply

cat eyes
11-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by squiggle
I'm on fb but don't have my picture, just a palestinian flag, and on my page I have loads of Islamic vids from youtube.

I added a few of my friends from work on fb and they started watching the vids I had posted on my profile and said they found them interesting and they took an interest in Islam and started asking me questions about it.

I had vids on there by Khalid Yasin talking about the purpose of life. A topic that interests ppl :)

but it's a good way to reach people indirectly, I'm hoping all the people on my friend list watch the vids on my profile and benefit from them so I can get reward :p
inshaAllah you will get reward i wil make duaa for you:)
Reply

cat eyes
11-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
a danger with posting any pictures any place on line. They can be snaged and altered by unscrupulous people then reposted. I had that happen to a friend a few years back and the "Doctored" still show up on websites. It has cost my friend many jobs.
thats terrible brother woodrow. the crazy people out there who would try anything. i am not on facebook:statisfie are you?
Reply

Ar-RaYYan
11-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by aadil77
I don't know much about facebook, can anyone recommend using it just for keeping in contact. Cause I feel I'm losing contact with my brothers and friends, everyone is splitting up, moving country, city etc and then when they have new fone numbers you cant get a hold of them and now people hardly use msn as well.
Thats the only reason i use facebook. Many of the people i grew up with have moved away in different cities and countries and facebook lets you keep in touch with them.

Here is how it works:
After you made your account on facebook, you may get friend requests and for these you can click either confirm (they are your friends and accept) or ignore their request and not be friends. In facebook you can block people too, all you have to do is type their full name,address etc.
To avoid strangers looking at your account you can go on privacy settings and set it so only your confirmed friends can view your information and photos. Also if you get any messages from weirdo's (on facebook) never reply just delete and block the person.
You can also restrict your account in a way that no one can find your name but unfortunately it would mean that people you actually know wouldnt be able to find and add you.
Reply

HassanBinFahim
11-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Well I AM A Strong Supporter Of FB So Here I Go.

By The Same Logic That You Guys Used On FB The Internet Itself Is Wrong Because It Can Also Be Used For Wrong Purposes So Islamic Board Is Wrong ;D.
FB Is Only An Instrument It Is Your Choice To Use It For Good Or For Bad.

By The Way Your Eyes Can Also Be Used For Negative Purposes So Does That Mean That You Should Not Use Them:lol:
Reply

Tiara B
11-03-2009, 01:57 PM
some people say that facebook is HARAM, and that's what i really don't understand. There was a muslim lady who once converted to christianity because she was influenced by a christian person, and i've heard that there are certain rules in the shariah that add up to the factor that facebook is indeed haram. i'm not sure about it, and it's just what i've recently heard. it troubles me as i'm a current user of facebook and it would be great if someone can please clarify it for me.
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Umm the internet culd be haram too...it all depends on how u use it...FB is supposed to be like something u use to keep in touch with people...but people use everything the wrong way...I mean would u stop using a knife because it can kill u when u can cut veggies wit em :D But honestly if u think for yourself it's fitna...then keep away from it..

Overdosing on water/medicine is lethal too...:) But we need that too no? :D
Reply

Tiara B
11-05-2009, 06:33 AM
yeah...ur right.....then i guess the best thing to do is to keep away from fb....bcoz it is also a waste of time, unlike emails, fb uses applications n pple use it for hours n hours...so yeah, bttr keep away frm it...
Reply

Iris
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
^Well then how about, Don't waste time on it. Use it right. The only application I use there is Car IQ...and it's helped me to learn about automobiles. Not to mention there are some Islamic applications too. You can help develop more of those too so that will be your share of dawah on facebook.
Reply

transition?
11-05-2009, 07:58 PM
:sl:

The things some people post on FB are like : O.

but it's good for people who want to be part of the Muslim community and notices. Mosque notifications, MSA notifications,

log in, check if there's any new event, check people's status, post some comforting words for the suffering.complaining people, log off.

But the pictures O_O thing is insane. You don't need to record every moment of your life. We know you have a life.
Reply

aadil77
11-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I jus joined it yesterday and I can see where all the fitna can come from, but alhamdulillah I've only got guys on there, mostly brothers. Buts its good cause you'll realise how many people you've lost contact with
Reply

Musaafirah
11-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Not on facebook, simply because if I wanted to keep in contact with someone (from real life, not met on the net (!)), they'd have my number and email and all.
Don't see any reason for publicising ones details...
(Even with privacy on max)
Reply

cat eyes
11-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Aathiqah M.
some people say that facebook is HARAM, and that's what i really don't understand. There was a muslim lady who once converted to christianity because she was influenced by a christian person, and i've heard that there are certain rules in the shariah that add up to the factor that facebook is indeed haram. i'm not sure about it, and it's just what i've recently heard. it troubles me as i'm a current user of facebook and it would be great if someone can please clarify it for me.
:sl:
I Would not be surprised by that there is an awful lot of christian guys mingling with young muslim girls on there it would not surprise me. no i would not say that all the internet is bad :hmm: for example IB is a good clean site no dirt in it and no dirt of any kind will be tolerated i do not see how that could be the case that the internet should be totally avoided i do agree that the internet is a sword it will either benefit you or hurt you depending what you use it for! however facebook seems to have a bad name to muslims for some reason such as the sister mentioned above there seems to be twice as more evil in it.
Reply

Raphael
11-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Musaafirah
Not on facebook, simply because if I wanted to keep in contact with someone (from real life, not met on the net (!)), they'd have my number and email and all.
Don't see any reason for publicising ones details...
(Even with privacy on max)
That is exactly right in a nutshell!
Reply

welcome_islam
11-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Its how u use facebook. if u want 2 go facebook 4 the haram side like talk to people that u dont no and its the opposite gender, its wrong. i have facebook and i use it to talk 2 the people that i know. i never ever had people that i dont no. u can block and delete the people so they can never ever talk to u again.
Reply

Woodrow
11-06-2009, 11:46 PM
After reading this article I can not understand why anybody would want to use it.


http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/01...rs-confession/
Reply

transition?
11-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
After reading this article I can not understand why anybody would want to use it.


http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/11/01...rs-confession/
:hmm:that's a little scary
Reply

Raphael
11-07-2009, 02:15 AM
So far I have heard people use many analogies here. The most common seems to be with the internet. The argument is that facebook is an instrument, and like any instrument, its use depends on the person.

This is essentially true, were it not for a huge internal fallacy in that statement!

Some things are banned in most countries, with the full knowledge that were it not, some people in the community would misuse it, and hence cause corruption in the entire society. If drugs were indeed legalised, more people would have access to it. You could of course argue that it is up to an individual to make the choice of actually buying the drug and using it.

However an addict's fall, is the fall of the entire community! Everyone suffers from the destructiveness that drug abuse brings, not just the people using it.

If everyone relied on other people's inculpable ethos, and fastidious sagacity, we would not need police!

It is the fact that some people will misuse facebook, that makes it a prerogative for everyone to cease. No one here has refuted that it can, and is, used for free mixing by some Muslims. As far as I am aware, no one is refuting the dangers of free mixing, and its evil in society.

The intenet does have its disadvantages. Surely the worst use of the internet is in fact related to zina. So which is worse to the end user? A dating site that helps them commit zina, or a pornographic website? If in fact due to free mixing on facebook, people do come together, then surely facebook can be used for the worst the web has to offer?

The internet brings enormous benefits as well. It is difficult for me to see how facebook has anywhere near the same set of advantages as the net.
So far, the only justification for its is 'dawah'.

I disagree.

To master the art of dawah, one must look at the masters of dawah - the Prophets.

Dawah is a personal, and intimate process, which requires face to face communication, devotion, and patience.

More importantly, it is ones actions and demeanour from human interaction that is the greatest dawah! Could anyone argue that the character of the prophets were more profound than anything they said, other than the very words of God they uttered from revelation?

I have not heard of any other uses for facebook, apart from staying in touch - and for all its evils, I think this is a menial advantage at best!
Reply

Elizabeth
11-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Originally Posted by HassanBinFahim
FB Is Only An Instrument It Is Your Choice To Use It For Good Or For Bad.

By The Way Your Eyes Can Also Be Used For Negative Purposes So Does That Mean That You Should Not Use Them:lol:
I agree! It is a huge responsibility, facebook, but you can use it correctly with good intentions.

For me, it is a way to keep in contact with family and friends that have moved all across the world.
Reply

Raphael
11-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I agree! It is a huge responsibility, facebook, but you can use it correctly with good intentions.

For me, it is a way to keep in contact with family and friends that have moved all across the world.
That is true Elizabeth, but sometimes its not just us, shaytaan can trick us at moments of weakness, regardless of how strong we feel we are.
Reply

OurIslamic
11-08-2009, 01:06 AM
As long as their intention is good, and it is being used positively.
Reply

AhlaamBella
11-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I found Twitter to be great Dawah tool. In my Bio I explained I am a muslim revert and now any friends I have on there ask a lot of questions regarding Islam. They see I am just a normal person rather than a religious movement trying to convert them
Reply

mammyluty
11-08-2009, 01:04 PM
when i heard about fb i got so excited for one reason only i hooked up wth my long lost friends n family whom i couldnt get there numbers to call them,but then after hooking up,,,,,iblis kicks in,all those pictures taken half naked,married women chatting with men,wishing other happy birthdays,its all sequencial pursuasion to end up doing haram.it made think n stopped using it,its totally waste of time.id rather go in forums like this to gain islamic knowledge than facebook.facebook is a huge fitnah,dats my opnion though.
Reply

Alim Apprentice
11-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
So far I have heard people use many analogies here. The most common seems to be with the internet. The argument is that facebook is an instrument, and like any instrument, its use depends on the person.

This is essentially true, were it not for a huge internal fallacy in that statement!

Some things are banned in most countries, with the full knowledge that were it not, some people in the community would misuse it, and hence cause corruption in the entire society. If drugs were indeed legalised, more people would have access to it. You could of course argue that it is up to an individual to make the choice of actually buying the drug and using it.

However an addict's fall, is the fall of the entire community! Everyone suffers from the destructiveness that drug abuse brings, not just the people using it.

If everyone relied on other people's inculpable ethos, and fastidious sagacity, we would not need police!

It is the fact that some people will misuse facebook, that makes it a prerogative for everyone to cease. No one here has refuted that it can, and is, used for free mixing by some Muslims. As far as I am aware, no one is refuting the dangers of free mixing, and its evil in society.

The intenet does have its disadvantages. Surely the worst use of the internet is in fact related to zina. So which is worse to the end user? A dating site that helps them commit zina, or a pornographic website? If in fact due to free mixing on facebook, people do come together, then surely facebook can be used for the worst the web has to offer?

The internet brings enormous benefits as well. It is difficult for me to see how facebook has anywhere near the same set of advantages as the net.
So far, the only justification for its is 'dawah'.

I disagree.

To master the art of dawah, one must look at the masters of dawah - the Prophets.

Dawah is a personal, and intimate process, which requires face to face communication, devotion, and patience.

More importantly, it is ones actions and demeanour from human interaction that is the greatest dawah! Could anyone argue that the character of the prophets were more profound than anything they said, other than the very words of God they uttered from revelation?

I have not heard of any other uses for facebook, apart from staying in touch - and for all its evils, I think this is a menial advantage at best!
I pretty much agree with this post. Well put, brother.

True, its well enough that some of us somehow manages to use Facebook without falling into fitnah. But aren't you worried about the rest of your brothers or sisters who could? Facebook's sole aim was to be a place for social networking, interaction, and mixing. I very much doubt there was any intentions to make things "safe" for Muslims to interact in a halal way. Woodrow's article link already showed the devious ways FB had to make money during its initial run.

Instead of trying to defend Facebook by virtue of using it "properly", acknowledgment of its issues and vigilant caution to the rest of your Muslim peers would be a much better approach =)
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-08-2009, 04:05 PM
^^There are other things such as facebook...its not only fb!! Don't forget that...the net encompasses all of these things...so we should worry about them in all aspects of life...not just facebook or the net :) I'm not speaking for or against FB. I just find it silly that some people are forgetting other things that could cause fitnah...
Reply

Raphael
11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I just find it silly that some people are forgetting other things that could cause fitnah...
This thread is related to facebook sis.

Agreed other things cause fitnah, but the thread is specifically devoted to a particular fitnah that a huge number of Muslims are subscribed to (and defending)! I agree with Alim Apprentice. I also think acknowledging the problem is the first step towards a solution.

I had written in a previous post, and Woodrow had written something similar, that the people who can potentially use it without having any non mahram members on their friends list, and not fall into free mixing, or harmful use are also the people who are most likely to leave it!

There are exceptions, however they are rare, and people have a tendency to defend their own use, even if they know they are doing something wrong - we all do this!

We could expand this to all social networking sites, but I think fakebook is the most popular?
Reply

Fishman
11-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Like Marmite and the pet guinea pig lobby, Facebook is a product of the Zionist Illuminati that run the world. They aim to ensnare Muslims into using Facebook, which will somehow lead them to devil-worship and will destroy Islam so they can take our natural gas reserves!


More seriously, I would say that it depends how you use it, yeah. Facebook can be used for flirting and getting porn, but so can many other things that are not haram.
Reply

aadil77
11-08-2009, 08:12 PM
I've started usin facebook and all my contacts are guys, but when you go on some other peoples pages its just loaded with fitna, you get muslims openly sinning there. I've got people who run the isoc in my uni having all kinds of uncovered girls on their friends list. The mentality of some muslims is just piss taking, some take the whole brother/sister thing to another level. Some of these arabs just take the mick as well, tryin their best in the most obvious ways to get girls and arab girls doin the same
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
This thread is related to facebook sis.

Agreed other things cause fitnah, but the thread is specifically devoted to a particular fitnah that a huge number of Muslims are subscribed to (and defending)! I agree with Alim Apprentice. I also think acknowledging the problem is the first step towards a solution.

I had written in a previous post, and Woodrow had written something similar, that the people who can potentially use it without having any non mahram members on their friends list, and not fall into free mixing, or harmful use are also the people who are most likely to leave it!

There are exceptions, however they are rare, and people have a tendency to defend their own use, even if they know they are doing something wrong - we all do this!

We could expand this to all social networking sites, but I think fakebook is the most popular?

I know this is about only facebook but that doesn't mean we rule out the rest. I'm one of those people who leaves it but then I end up signing back in just cause people want me to see something. I dnt look at other peoples photos, i dont have randys on my list either. And I dont AGREE that those who do not fall into fitnah will leave it totally. I've never come across fitnah so alhamdulillah for that. Those who do should just leave it. End of story.

Anything can become fitnah central. I'm not for facebook nor against it. Even if I knew i was doing something wrong I dont support it. I dont know about you but I dont do it! I acknowledge when im doing something wrong. Whether we can/try or do avoid it, is a different matter. I suppose it is the most popular alongside myspace? Maybe more. YES facebook HAS fitnah. Of course.
Reply

Eliphaz
11-10-2009, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Fishman
Like Marmite and the pet guinea pig lobby, Facebook is a product of the Zionist Illuminati that run the world. They aim to ensnare Muslims into using Facebook, which will somehow lead them to devil-worship and will destroy Islam so they can take our natural gas reserves!
Finally someone agrees with me! :D

Originally Posted by Light of Heaven
I know this is about only facebook but that doesn't mean we rule out the rest. I'm one of those people who leaves it but then I end up signing back in just cause people want me to see something. I dnt look at other peoples photos, i dont have randys on my list either. And I dont AGREE that those who do not fall into fitnah will leave it totally. I've never come across fitnah so alhamdulillah for that. Those who do should just leave it. End of story.

Anything can become fitnah central. I'm not for facebook nor against it. Even if I knew i was doing something wrong I dont support it. I dont know about you but I dont do it! I acknowledge when im doing something wrong. Whether we can/try or do avoid it, is a different matter. I suppose it is the most popular alongside myspace? Maybe more. YES facebook HAS fitnah. Of course.
I also must agree that Facebook does not equal Fitnahbook. I wouldn't go that far.

Because in its essence it is really only representing your social life in a virtual way, and thus, as in real life, its a case of 'the company you keep is the rewards you reap'. My sister uses FB and has only female friends on there, and would never ever add a male friend quite simply because she has no male friends in real life. Problem averted.

However if you're the kind of brother/sister who mingles with the opposite sex in real life, and smile and says 'salaam' and then get carried away asking about each others 'studies' and so forth (you know who you are!) and say to your friends 'he's just my brother' or 'she's just my sister' then Facebook does potentially equal Fitnahbook.

As I said before, saying no to a friend request is just so difficult to do in Facebook. How can you stop people sending you friend requests if they know you from campus? In real life nobody comes up to you and says 'Will you be my friend' and then you say, 'No, I reject you! Be gone!' Of course not. But this is the flaw of Facebook, it is almost an overblown caricature of your real social life, where all the little blemishes filled with fitnah get multiplied by ten and you either need a really good (think industrial-strength) blackhead remover or it's best just not get into it.

Twitter on the other hand looks pretty fun (if not sooooo timewasting). If only I could figure out how the dickens it works.
Reply

Kabeer
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
That is true Elizabeth, but sometimes its not just us, shaytaan can trick us at moments of weakness, regardless of how strong we feel we are.
Salaams,
Maybe then you should castrate yourself in case you suddenly get a 'weak' moment?

See how silly that sounds?

Peace
Reply

cat eyes
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
:sl: they should change its name to fitnah book:haha:
Reply

cat eyes
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
my sis sent me a video of lee evans (comedian) talking about facebook;D he used some bad language but i could't help laughing what he said was so true
Reply

Raphael
11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kabeer
Salaams,
Maybe then you should castrate yourself in case you suddenly get a 'weak' moment?

See how silly that sounds?

Peace

Islam has many systems that help one avoid moments of weakness. Consider it like a gate, preventing entry to a road that ends in a treacherous fall.


It is better for an iron nail to be driven into the head of a man, than for him to touch a woman who is not permissible for him

Narrated by at Tabrani
al-Mu'jam al-Kabir (Vol.20 Pg.211)


The purpose of the hadith is not to imply that one should cut ones hands off, in fear of touching a non mahram woman, or to have a set of nails, and power tool ready, should the desire impose itself. Rather it is to show the necessity of knowing ones bounds.

Therefore putting a knife to oneself does not need to be an option. Thank you for your well thought out suggestion.
Reply

Kabeer
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Islam has many systems that help one avoid moments of weakness. Consider it like a gate, preventing entry to a road that ends in a treacherous fall.


It is better for an iron nail to be driven into the head of a man, than for him to touch a woman who is not permissible for him

Narrated by at Tabrani
al-Mu'jam al-Kabir (Vol.20 Pg.211)


The purpose of the hadith is not to imply that one should cut ones hands off, in fear of touching a non mahram woman, or to have a set of nails, and power tool ready, should the desire impose itself. Rather it is to show the necessity of knowing ones bounds.

Therefore putting a knife to oneself does not need to be an option. Thank you for your well thought out suggestion.
Salaam Raphael,

Do you really think my reply was well thought out or are you just saying that?

The hand can be used for many things. That narration is specifically saying not to touch the non mahram lady.

So an equivalent to facebook, would be facebook can be used for many things. And specifically dont use it for "X, Y, Z".

Peace
Reply

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
Finally someone agrees with me! :D



I also must agree that Facebook does not equal Fitnahbook. I wouldn't go that far.

Because in its essence it is really only representing your social life in a virtual way, and thus, as in real life, its a case of 'the company you keep is the rewards you reap'. My sister uses FB and has only female friends on there, and would never ever add a male friend quite simply because she has no male friends in real life. Problem averted.

However if you're the kind of brother/sister who mingles with the opposite sex in real life, and smile and says 'salaam' and then get carried away asking about each others 'studies' and so forth (you know who you are!) and say to your friends 'he's just my brother' or 'she's just my sister' then Facebook does potentially equal Fitnahbook.

As I said before, saying no to a friend request is just so difficult to do in Facebook. How can you stop people sending you friend requests if they know you from campus? In real life nobody comes up to you and says 'Will you be my friend' and then you say, 'No, I reject you! Be gone!' Of course not. But this is the flaw of Facebook, it is almost an overblown caricature of your real social life, where all the little blemishes filled with fitnah get multiplied by ten and you either need a really good (think industrial-strength) blackhead remover or it's best just not get into it.

Twitter on the other hand looks pretty fun (if not sooooo timewasting). If only I could figure out how the dickens it works.
Again, this is in the end an individual problem. I don't find it hard to reject friend requests. I simply hit IGNORE. If i dont want guys then I dont. I dont see why it should be offensive. I know why Id be rejecting it so it doesnt matter to me what the person on the other end THINKS. All these social programmes are potentially the SAME. If you cant HANDLE using it then get off. Simple as. For example this forum. Initially it's meant to be fitnah free, but you will ALWAYS have someone who can start fitnah for themselves and for others. This is why I keep bringing in other sources, it's the same THING for the love of Allah.

And I havent disagreed that facebook can be fitnah. OF COURSE it can. ANYTHING can be, depending on how it's used. People can mingle here as well. If not on here specifically, but off the forum. Would you then say one should avoid this forum? You can have the BEST privacy settings on the planet, but if one certain individual doesn't want to use it, fitnah can spread. And of course more than one like these exist. My advice is, stay away from something when u feel it may harm u, especially in your deen. Not just facebook, anything.

:sl:
Reply

syilla
11-13-2009, 05:26 AM
i think this thread will never come to an end...huhuhu... just one of those debate.
Reply

Humbler_359
11-13-2009, 05:52 AM
IT IS TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD~ 100 PAGES still !

Depending on YOU based your control or leave it ! Simple answer.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 02:29 AM
  2. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 11:24 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 03:51 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 04:43 AM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!