/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Celebrate holidays?

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 03:34 AM
I was wondering how and how many holidays Islam has?

Christians celebrate Christmas as you know, but lately the focus is on Santa Claus, lots of lights and gifts :(

My wife is south indian and she and her family are christian but they do not buy gifts, put up a tree or lights!

I don't either our focus is supposed to be celebration of the birth of Jesus!

This past year i actully went to church and stayed for 8 hours straight, to pray and worship(by myself)

Also Easter, even as a christian i still don't understand why others hide eggs left by a buny???

Easter is a celebration of the ressurection of Jesus! at least for Christians.

I may be to traditional or Orthadox for most poeple but religiuos holidays are not about greed, vanity, worship of pagan gods; bunny's and fat guys that slide down chimeny's!!! how weird is that!?

What do you think?

God be with you all!!!!!!!!!!:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
10-29-2009, 03:40 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Italianguy

If u mean festivals , then we have 2 .

Eid ul Fitr ( after holy Ramadan) and Eid ul Adha ( by slaughtering animals in the name of God , we remember the sacrifice of Abraham pbuh ) .

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 03:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/Peace

If u mean festivals , then we have 2 .

Eid ul Fitr ( after holy Ramadan) and Eid ul Adha ( by slaughtering animals in the name of God , we remember the sacrifice of Abraham pbuh ) .

Actually i meant religiuos holidays. Thanks

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 03:42 AM

Christians celebrate Christmas as you know, but lately the focus is on Santa Claus, lots of lights and gifts :(

My wife is south indian and she and her family are christian but they do not buy gifts, put up a tree or lights!

I don't either our focus is supposed to be celebration of the birth of Jesus!

This past year i actully went to church and stayed for 8 hours straight, to pray and worship(by myself)

Also Easter, even as a christian i still don't understand why others hide eggs left by a buny???

Easter is a celebration of the ressurection of Jesus! at least for Christians.

I may be to traditional or Orthadox for most poeple but religiuos holidays are not about greed, vanity, worship of pagan gods; bunny's and fat guys that slide down chimeny's!!! how weird is that!?

What do you think?

God be with you all!!!!!!!!!!:D
I meant religiuos holidays. sorry

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
10-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Salaam/Peace

Actually i meant religiuos holidays. Thanks
yes , these 2 are religious holidays/ festivals. I am looking for some good links to give u more info :)

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 03:54 AM
Salaam/Peace

yes , these 2 are religious holidays/ festivals. I am looking for some good links to give u more info :)
okay, thanks!

Muslim Woman
10-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Salaam/ Peace

Establishing Prayer… Even in Eid?

Bijorin - Austria

Date 17/Sep/2008

Question Why do Muslims have this Eid (Feast) immediately after Ramadan? They keep fasting and praying long prayers for a whole month… and then… after they are done with that… they do not go and have fun… they go to pray… even in their feast!!!
Shahul Hameed :

.....To many people, especially in the West, the word "fun" evokes, for instance, the colorful images of the world's biggest and grandest carnival in Rio de Janeiro or the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. They may also think of the wild revelries and partying they have during other festivals and fiestas throughout the world.

But, it is obvious that to a people of another culture, fun and entertainment may have different connotations.

.....All activities of a Muslim, therefore are bound to be God-directed; and a Muslim should like to spend every moment of his life in prayer, if possible. That is due to the fact that he believes that this life is transient and his real destination is the eternal abode in the hereafter.

So, fun time is also prayer time, though it may sound... funny!

Hope this answers your question. Thank you and please send us any further question you may have.

Useful Links:

A Day of Celebration: Idris Tawfiq's First Eid

Celebrations and Prayers

Muslims and Fun: Culture or Religion?

Fun and Celebrations in Islam

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...AskAboutIslamE

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 04:24 AM
Salaam/ Peace

Establishing Prayer… Even in Eid?

Bijorin - Austria

Date 17/Sep/2008

Question Why do Muslims have this Eid (Feast) immediately after Ramadan? They keep fasting and praying long prayers for a whole month… and then… after they are done with that… they do not go and have fun… they go to pray… even in their feast!!!
Shahul Hameed :

.....To many people, especially in the West, the word "fun" evokes, for instance, the colorful images of the world's biggest and grandest carnival in Rio de Janeiro or the Mardi Gras in New Orleans. They may also think of the wild revelries and partying they have during other festivals and fiestas throughout the world.

But, it is obvious that to a people of another culture, fun and entertainment may have different connotations.

.....All activities of a Muslim, therefore are bound to be God-directed; and a Muslim should like to spend every moment of his life in prayer, if possible. That is due to the fact that he believes that this life is transient and his real destination is the eternal abode in the hereafter.

So, fun time is also prayer time, though it may sound... funny!

Hope this answers your question. Thank you and please send us any further question you may have.

Useful Links:

A Day of Celebration: Idris Tawfiq's First Eid

Celebrations and Prayers

Muslims and Fun: Culture or Religion?

Fun and Celebrations in Islam

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/...AskAboutIslamE
It doesnt sound funny at all. my family always pray before and after eveything we do. My mother in-law or (Aunty) says we should be in constant prayer all day! God bless

Muslim Woman
10-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Salaam/ Peace

okay, thanks!
wait wait , don't thank now. May be , I am confused with holidays and festivals :( let me check more :)

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Salaam/ Peace

wait wait , don't thank now. May be , I am confused with holidays and festivals :( let me check more :)
HAHA okay. i meant like we Christians celebrate Christmas and Easter, the birth and ressurection of Jesus.

I don't recognise holloween. It is not a Christian based holiday as many think.

Muslim Woman
10-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Salaam/Peace

What holidays do Muslims celebrate?

By Huda, About.com

Muslims have two major religious observances each year, Ramadan and Hajj, and corresponding holidays connected with each one. All Islamic holidays are observed according to the lunar-based Islamic calendar.

• Ramadan - Each year, Muslims spend a month in daytime fasting, during the 9th month of the Islamic calendar called Ramadan.

• Laylat al-Qadr - Towards the end of Ramadan, Muslims observe the "Night of Power," which is when the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to Muhammad.

• Eid al-Fitr - At the end of Ramadan, Muslims celebrate "The Festival of Fast-Breaking."

• Hajj - Each year during the 12th month of the Islamic calendar, millions of Muslims make an annual pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia called Hajj.

• Day of Arafat - During one day of the Hajj, pilgrims gather at the Plain of Arafat to seek God's mercy, and Muslims elsewhere fast for the day.

• Eid al-Adha - At the end of the annual pilgrimage, Muslims celebrate "The Festival of Sacrifice."

Other than these two major observances and their corresponding celebrations, there are no other universally-observed Islamic holidays. Some Muslims acknowledge other events from Islamic history, which are considered holidays by some but not all Muslims:

http://islam.about.com/od/holidays/f/holidays.htm

zakirs
10-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Holidays depend on the country you live in , For instance in india we get holidays for

Eid ul fitr
Eid ul zuha
Mohurram
Milad-Un-Nabi ( birth of Muhammed pbuh)

ardianto
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by zakirs
Holidays depend on the country you live in , For instance in india we get holidays for

Eid ul fitr
Eid ul zuha
Mohurram
Milad-Un-Nabi ( birth of Muhammed pbuh)
In Indonesia too.

Information for Italianguy : Mohurram is Islamic new year.

Asiyah3
10-29-2009, 01:09 PM
As-salaamu aleykum,

I believe that celebrating the birth of the Prophet(SAAS) is an innovation, and like He(SAAS) said every innovation goes astay. I haven't read about his companions celebrating his (SAAS) birthday

Italianguy
10-29-2009, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
In Indonesia too.

Information for Italianguy : Mohurram is Islamic new year.
Oh wow isn't the Islamic calender different from ours? Like i heard Islam is in the 15th or 16th century and we are in the 21st?

ardianto
10-29-2009, 01:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by _muslim_
As-salaamu aleykum,

I believe that celebrating the birth of the Prophet(SAAS) is an innovation, and like He(SAAS) said every innovation goes astay. I haven't read about his companions celebrating his (SAAS) birthday
All Muslim agree, celebrating the birth of Prophet Muhammad (saw) is an innovation. But not every Muslim agree this celebration is forbidden.

Note : I don't say this is allowed

ardianto
10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Oh wow isn't the Islamic calender different from ours? Like i heard Islam is in the 15th or 16th century and we are in the 21st?
In exactly, we are in year 1430 in Islamic calendar.
Islamic calendar was started when Prophet Muhammad (saw) 'hijrah' (moved) from Makah to Madinah.

Year in Islamic calendar is few days shorter than Gregorian Calendar. Islamic calendar is Lunar (moon) calendar, one year in this calendar is 12 times of moon orbit period. Gregorian calendar is Solar (sun) calendar, one year in this calendar is one period earth orbiting sun.

One month in Islamic calendar is 29 or 30 days.

Hijri'ah/Islamic calendar months.

01. Muharram
02. Safar
03. Rabiul awal
04. Rabiul akhir
05. Jumadil awal
06. Jumadil akhir
07. Rajab
08. Sha'ban
09. Ramadan
10. Shawal
11. Dzul'qaidah
12. Dzul'hijja

Note : 29 October 2009 in Gregorian is 10 Dzul'qaidah 1430 in Hijri.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.