/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "Thin" places where we connect with or feel the presence of God

Grace Seeker
10-29-2009, 03:53 AM
This question comes out of another [a Christian] forum I am on. In it we were discussing the "thin places" where people experience God. The list of places is rather interesting. For instance, I listed canoing on wilderness lakes. Another talked about retreats he leads with his church's youth. Others mentioned watching the sun set through a stained glass window or a special worship service or even just sitting on the porch with one's spouse and enjoying the world and relationships God has created for us.

So I'm asking you -

1. where are your thin places and
2. would you describe experiences when you felt connected to/in touch with God/Allah?

----------------------------------
(And, please, let's just use this for affirmation and not turn it into a debate thread arguing about one place/experience being better than another.)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
10-29-2009, 07:47 AM
:threadapp

Trumble
10-29-2009, 08:37 AM
I hope I'm not diverting your thread too much from your intended purpose by suggesting that such connections or feelings may only be interpreted as being the presence of God; depending on your religious views. I do so because I know exactly what you mean, while not believing there is a God! For me there are two places in particular. Neither are actually 'Buddhist', oddly.

The first is a multiple choice of several British cathedrals and churches, the one thing being in common being antiquity. It's not age I think that you feel so much as people and their devotion stored up over the centuries as if by some spiritual battery. I have never visited the ancient Buddhist monasteries of Asia, nor any mosque with a long history, but I assume exactly the same would be true there. In particular I still recall walking into Canterbury Cathedral as a child of about 10, alone, first thing in the morning (my mother and I were staying in a hotel virtually right next to it) when that sensation was utterly overpowering, although as I was standing exactly in the spot where Thomas Becket was killed maybe there was a ghost around, too!

The second is simply a wooded spot near my home where my wife and I walk the dog (although, to be honest, it doesn't 'work' with her there - she talks too much!). At the right time of the day, with the setting sun in just the right place and the colours in the trees just so, that same overpowering feeling is there. It's almost like being transported to another world. But there is nothing personal. I can easily understand why you guys might think something similar was 'God', but to me it can't possibly be interpreted that way. But as I said, it's all about interpretation and probably preconceptions. I've always thought the actual religious experience, albeit expressed in many different ways, is universal.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-29-2009, 08:55 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grace Seeker

1. where are your thin places
mostly quite places. but usually when i go outside...so in nature, the stars, moon, etc.
2. would you describe experiences when you felt connected to/in touch with God/Allah?
when i make dua (asking something of allah)...after wards my heart feels a lot more relaxed and tranquil then it does before i supplicate. also, sometimes when i listen to the words of the quran as well. that'll tend to make me feel "connected."

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ramadhan
10-29-2009, 08:58 AM
For me, anytime I remember Allah, I feel very close and "connected", regardless of where I was, with the exception, of course, of filthy places like bathrooms, toilets.

It also happened sometimes when i recited Al Qur'an and then tears were just flowing down my cheeks. There was one time when I was reciting Ar-Rahmaan (QS. 55) when I didnt stop crying the whole way, and I do not even understand arabic! (although I sorta knew what the surah was about, and I read the translation afterwards).

It happened when I was outdoor, at night, in outback, where sky is so dark and clear and you could see millions of the brilliant stars and I felt how really small I am and how majestic His presence is.

There were also times when i was just walking on the streets, the sky was dark and it was raining, and I felt pretty down, and I turned to remember Him and I prayed and I felt warmth from the inside.

Basically, "thin places" for me is anywhere (with the exception of filthy places) where I will myself to remember Allah, to both fear and love Him.

aadil77
10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
I can feel the presence of Allah everywhere and at anytime, but there are certain places and things which make me reflect on Allah's creation and as a result praise Him and strengthen my beliefs; places like being up in some mountains or just by looking up at the moon.

like naidamar, seeing a clear sky with bright stars really makes you think and Glorify Allah the Almighty and same with rain you just naturally want to pray, I read a hadith somewhere about praying when it rains

Grace Seeker
10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
I hope I'm not diverting your thread too much.... I've always thought the actual religious experience, albeit expressed in many different ways, is universal.
No problem, Trumble. I'm not trying to define who has the best or most correct experience. I just thought it might be interesting to see how much in common we might have in our actual personal experiences of the transcendent. Thanks for sharing your story as well.

Al-manar
10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Immediately after passing a trouble , that by the logic of humans it can't be solved.

Asiyah3
10-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I can feel the precense of Allah (May he be Exalted) everywhere.

Especially When I see the moon, I immediately remember some Ayaats from the qur'an and the words of The prophet (Peace and blessings be upon him): It is narrated that Jareer ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: “We were sitting with the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), looking at the moon on the night of the fourteenth (of the month). He said, ‘You will see your Lord with your own eyes just as you are looking at this (moon), without any doubt that you are seeing Him.’”

May Allah make us one of those whom He will be pleased with

Iris
10-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Rains and thunderstorms in a forest! Its just beautiful subhanAllah...makes you speculate on the power of Allah SWT!

Ramadhan
10-30-2009, 02:29 AM
Actually, in this sense muslims are very lucky that we should be in "thin" places at least five times a day, that is, during daily shalat.

Woodrow
10-30-2009, 03:17 AM
I guess this is why I love wide open spaces such as being out on the ocean, in a desert, out on the prairie or alone in a light plane. Those are my "thin" places. I would say because at those times I am free from distraction and see only what Allaah(swt) has created in it's most visible and simplest purity. I believe we should be able to connect to him through prayer, no matter where we may be. But, being a human with a wandering mind, isolation seems to keep me free from distractions that lead me astray.

Grace Seeker
10-30-2009, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Actually, in this sense muslims are very lucky that we should be in "thin" places at least five times a day, that is, during daily shalat.
Funny that you should mention this, because even as a Christian this is something that I have learned from Islam.

gang4
10-30-2009, 07:36 PM
In the mosque sometimes the connection feels stronger...besides locations, time factor should be also under consideration...At night before Fajr when one performs rakaat while others are sleeping is the best time to feel as if one is in the present of The Al Mighty...Begging Allah to forgive our sins...

Grace Seeker
10-30-2009, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by gang4
...besides locations, time factor should be also under consideration...while others are sleeping is the best time to feel as if one is in the present of The Al Mighty.
Just a reminder. This thread is not about what should or should not be. Nor is it about whether one way, time, location or manner is somehow better than or to be preferred over another. The assumption is that any way, time, location, or manner by which one experiences being connected with God is a good thing and that there need be no competition among the various experiences we all have for the best. But, perhaps in our sharing of them, some who have perhaps need to renew their faith or deen may find in our personal sharing something that resonates with them and thereby may be renewed to continue to grow in their walk with God.

gang4
10-31-2009, 05:29 AM
Just a reminder. This thread is not about what should or should not be. Nor is it about whether one way, time, location or manner is somehow better than or to be preferred over another.
Consider me made a mistake... sorry...

The assumption is that any way, time, location, or manner by which one experiences being connected with God is a good thing and that there need be no competition among the various experiences we all have for the best. But, perhaps in our sharing of them, some who have perhaps need to renew their faith or deen may find in our personal sharing something that resonates with them and thereby may be renewed to continue to grow in their walk with God.
Just a reminder...the assumption was not that clear...at least was not clear enough to me...

Now, the assumption is clear. Probably out of place for me to say in this thread:

A connection with God needs to be a competition... We need to compete doing good deeds, asking for Allah's forgiveness etc...The Hereafter is more in rank and gradation and more in excellence.

But since it is my last response to this thread...you ought to cut me a slack....

AlHoda
10-31-2009, 01:19 PM
There was one night where Ifelt so close to Allah, i wish I had that time every day. My emaan was so high, my love for Him was so high. There are also moments i feel far from Allah (swt), so I hope that I will feel close to Allah, everyday like this. In fact, i dont think there are thin places, just times when your emaan is very high, you can feel His Presence .

Grace Seeker
10-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Consider me made a mistake... sorry...
No problem. Your response was most appropriate and in perfect keeping with what I was asking. I'm glad you added to the conversation.

Just a reminder...the assumption was not that clear...at least was not clear enough to me...
I'm sorry that it wasn't. I did put the following in the OP:
(And, please, let's just use this for affirmation and not turn it into a debate thread arguing about one place/experience being better than another.)
But perhaps I needed to make it bolder. Or maybe there is a clearer way to express myself. Anyway, I apologize if I came across as criticizing your post in particular. I just didn't want someone else to come along and challenge your use of the phrase "the best". We will allow that you do indeed find this the best. I just didn't want some one else to come along and turn this into a debate thread by trying to prove you wrong because they have had a different experience where something else was better.

Now, the assumption is clear. Probably out of place for me to say in this thread:

A connection with God needs to be a competition... We need to compete doing good deeds, asking for Allah's forgiveness etc...The Hereafter is more in rank and gradation and more in excellence.

But since it is my last response to this thread...you ought to cut me a slack....

You can most certainly have all the slack you need.

All are welcome in the thread, be they competitive or laid back. Be they thinking that they have found the one and only right way or think that many paths lead up the mountain. I just ask that we express ourselves by speaking to our own experience rather than debating the value or authenticity (pro or con) of another.

Grace Seeker
10-31-2009, 04:59 PM
And now, to follow up on myself, I would like to add another question to the conversation:

As you think about the "thin places" in your life, what does it mean to you to connect with God. What is at the core of that experience for you?

---------------------------------

Again, we can anticipate that there will be a variety of responses, perhaps as varied as the people themselves who respond. Let us remember that each individual's testimony is just that, an expression of their own experience. It is not a projection that your experience or mine must match theirs -- nor vice versa.

glo
10-31-2009, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlHoda
There was one night where Ifelt so close to Allah, i wish I had that time every day. My emaan was so high, my love for Him was so high. There are also moments i feel far from Allah (swt), so I hope that I will feel close to Allah, everyday like this. In fact, i dont think there are thin places, just times when your emaan is very high, you can feel His Presence .
I can very much relate to your post, AlHoda.
I would describe my relationship to God similarly.

There are places where I may feel the presence of God more easily - but I believe only because in those places I may be less distracted by other things and may find it easier to focus on God.

glo
10-31-2009, 07:38 PM
As you think about the "thin places" in your life, what does it mean to you to connect with God. What is at the core of that experience for you?
A sense of 'oneness' with God (I know that in an Islamic forum that might sounds controversial, perhaps even blasphemous. It is not intended in such a way, it is just the only word I can think of to describe how close to God I feel at such times); of warmth and love and acceptance - despite my many flaws and faults.

Similarly I find that those feelings flow out back from me to God - my love for him, my gratitude for all his blessings and my acceptance of the tasks and tests he has for me.

In that place I would indeed love to dwell in forever!

Danah
10-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Interesting thread

1. where are your thin places and
I can't think of any specific places where I feel so close to Allah. I have many experiences in many different places....in home, outdoor, Uni, nature....etc many to mention

One of the best experiences I had ever was on the last Ramadan while praying at night, I wished I had such moment more often. It was as if I was in some other world.

Woodrow
10-31-2009, 08:29 PM
And now, to follow up on myself, I would like to add another question to the conversation:

---------------------------------

Again, we can anticipate that there will be a variety of responses, perhaps as varied as the people themselves who respond. Let us remember that each individual's testimony is just that, an expression of their own experience. It is not a projection that your experience or mine must match theirs -- nor vice versa.
Peace Gene,

I had to go outside and walk around and think a bit before I could put my thoughts into words. I will just list some words and then connect them to what I am trying to say,

Serenity
Knowing without doubt
Freedom
Love
Gratitude
Joy
Fulfilled
Trust

Now take the feelings those words convey. At that moment for a time that can not be nor need be measured, I know I am speaking with the One who can understand and allow me to have those feelings while knowing even the deepest thoughts I myself do not know. A feeling of conversation with perfect communication and with out any need for any physical verification.

The relaxation of love with no need or desire, just the knowing I spoke to Allaah(swt)

tango92
10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
i feel closest to my deen in the when facing fitnah - eg a shopping centre, the brothers know what i mean.

but I feel closest to Allah when, one some days, every desicion i make and every word i speak, I have the fear of Allah in my heart

Eliphaz
10-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Great thread.

My thin places are when I'm reading Qur'an in the dead of night. The stars are shining through the glass roof of the conservatory, or the rain might be hitting the roof and creating a kind of "percussion of the soul". It is like my own spiritual bubble.

I was also recently in a remote village, and would sleep on the roof of a mud hut in the middle of nowhere. The stars were just so close it was like I was in tune with the frequency of the whole universe. No noises, no cars, just silence. I love rural environments because there is so little light pollution, you can see the night sky in all its glory. Everything looks so massive and you realise just how small and insignificant we are in comparison to the Allmighty creation.

The core experience is that I feel at one with myself, the creation and God. That feeling of temporarily seeing through the facade of this temporary existence, being at peace forgetting the world for just five minutes which seem to stretch out into infinity.

What I wouldn't give for that right now!

KAding
11-01-2009, 09:51 AM
Despite not believing in God I actually think I know what 'feeling' people are referring to. My first trigger is usually music, especially a choir doing the singing (not necessarily a church choir singing religious music btw) or gospel. A second time is sometimes when seeing animal life in action, which really triggers a sense of amazement. This can be something as simple as seeing an insect at work on a beautiful day or observing my dog acting like it is...well...alive and sentient. The mere fact that all these creatures seem intend on actually doing something just bewilders me.

If I were religious, I can imagine I would relate these experiences with God. Even now it is often a reason for me to think about the possible existence of God. At these moments I just a feel what could be best described as a sense of 'awe'. It is accompanied by a sensation of peace and happiness shortly after.

It never lasts all that long though.

Snowflake
11-01-2009, 11:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Despite not believing in God I actually think I know what 'feeling' people are referring to. My first trigger is usually music, especially a choir doing the singing (not necessarily a church choir singing religious music btw) or gospel. A second time is sometimes when seeing animal life in action, which really triggers a sense of amazement. This can be something as simple as seeing an insect at work on a beautiful day or observing my dog acting like it is...well...alive and sentient. The mere fact that all these creatures seem intend on actually doing something just bewilders me.

If I were religious, I can imagine I would relate these experiences with God. Even now it is often a reason for me to think about the possible existence of God. At these moments I just a feel what could be best described as a sense of 'awe'. It is accompanied by a sensation of peace and happiness shortly after.

Hi Kading, whether you believe or not in terms of your heart and brain, your soul knows your Creator. What you feel in the moments you describe is an opportunity to ponder and reflect in the signs He has placed in the Heavens and the Earth so that you may find the Truth. When Allah created Adam, He took a covenant from him and He extracted from him, every descendent who would be born until the end of the world and then took a covenant from them also asking, "Am I not your Lord?" Each soul testified to Allah being their Lord. The reason for this covenant was so that on the Day of Resurrection none could say they were unaware of Allah and also in case they try to free themselves by claiming that they were only following the beliefs of their ancestors (polytheism). Thus every soul has this testimony imprinted on it, and what you feel is your call to come back to the Truth. imsad:cry:

May Allah guide you. Ameen

Iris
11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=glo;1237486]A sense of 'oneness' with God (I know that in an Islamic forum that might sounds controversial, perhaps even blasphemous. It is not intended in such a way, it is just the only word I can think of to describe how close to God I feel at such times); of warmth and love and acceptance - despite my many flaws and faults.

Similarly I find that those feelings flow out back from me to God - my love for him, my gratitude for all his blessings and my acceptance of the tasks and tests he has for me.

In that place I would indeed love to dwell in forever![/QUOTE]

That's one of the promises about Paradise...one will feel the nearness to Allah over there, all the time. (and of course see Him too)

Abdul-Raouf
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Many times i have felt HIS presence...Many different occasions/places/times...

Lastest one was today..I have seen many cows trying sit/move/eat
.. But today When i saw a cow trying to sit/ rest in ground..- was thinking who taught this cow to sit ....noticed very curiosly..then a smile from my heart comes to my face thinking of ALLAH. :)

Best occasion/place:
After the prayer is over...and after every one is left..When im in MASJID alone....the feeling is wonderful. (It has happened many times)

GreyKode
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf

Best occasion/place:
After the prayer is over...and after every one is left..When im in MASJID alone....the feeling is wonderful. (It has happened many times)
When I go to fajr or any other prayer very early before everyone else, just me and the muathin (especially an old man who has a very beautiful voice), listening to his adhan and repeating.
Best moments. Alhamdolillah:statisfie

MuslimCONVERT
11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
This is "kind of" inline with the topic of this particular forum.

I've recently moved from the United States to Egypt to learn Arabic, and I live about 20 minutes outside of the city of Cairo, in an area called 6th of October city. There is a very famous mosque here called the Hossary. It is Massive, beautifully decorated on the inside and the outside, and when I first moved here i was just taken by it.

But after living here for a few months, the beauty and calligraphy on the walls began to destract me, and I couldn't make dhikr [litanies] without staring at the chandelier or the decorations and just losing my focus. So, long story short, I started attending a smaller, basic mosque across the street, and I found the atmosphere to be so peaceful, and tranquil, and I've found the people ar relating to each other in a much more personal way.

After praying in the smaller, less noticed mosque, I became addicted. I felt I was closer to God, closer to my brothers, and just happier and calmer. I am reminded of the fact that the first mosque in Islam was not the massive mosque in Medina as many Muslims think, but a much smaller structure that people today wouldn't even recognize as a mosque. I think it's because the early Muslims were more obsessed with the inner beauty of things, rather than the superficial, outer beauty of things. They were much more concerned with beautifying their souls than any building. Just a thought.

Other than that, I really love the ocean, and I really love the stars on a summer night in America, as we say "out in the country" -you can't really see their granduer from a city. A lot of times I like to watch animals do their thing, so as to remember that Allah [swt] is the most Creative, and loves variety.

Grace Seeker
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimCONVERT
This is "kind of" inline with the topic of this particular forum.

There is a very famous mosque here called the Hossary. It is Massive, beautifully decorated on the inside and the outside, and when I first moved here i was just taken by it.

But after living here for a few months ... I started attending a smaller, basic mosque across the street, and I found the atmosphere to be so peaceful, and tranquil, and I've found the people ar relating to each other in a much more personal way.

After praying in the smaller, less noticed mosque, I became addicted. I felt I was closer to God, closer to my brothers, and just happier and calmer.
Most definitely "in line". Anyplace, anything, any activity, any whatever that leads to one feeling somehow connected with God is what this thread is about.

Thanks for sharing!!

anatolian
11-05-2009, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
... It is accompanied by a sensation of peace and happiness shortly after.

Because Allah gives us such moments so that we can imagine what the reality behind this illusional world. The reality is living that peace and happiness for ever in heaven.

anatolian
11-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I believe Allah puts His signs in nature. I sometimes feel His existence, presence in those signs. For example sun makes me remember Allah sometimes.

Iris
11-07-2009, 06:18 AM
I like wide open spaces with less no. of people. It can be mountains, forests, beaches, anything...

As for activities, I feel like the best one is reciting Quran early in the morning hours....it's really very striking at that time of the day. The words and meanings seem to seep in better and a sensation of calmness descends over the mind and body. Also makes you remember your sins... :cry:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.