/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should I wear the niqab?

Esther462
10-31-2009, 04:34 PM
I've been a muslim for nearly 2 years now. I wear the hijab proudly and have a good understanding of Islam. I've started to think of wear the niqab. The only problem I have is that there are not that many muslims in my town and I'll proberly be the only person wearing it.
Do you think it is a good ideafor me to wear it or not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
10-31-2009, 05:11 PM
the one who starts a good action and has it followed has the reward of every person that follows it!

if you wear the niqaab, then after you who ever also wears it, YOU will get that reward :)

Raphael
10-31-2009, 05:14 PM
There is a strong opinion that the niqaab is fardh, so if you choose to, then your reward is with your Rabb! What could possibly beat that? :statisfie

cat eyes
10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I've been a muslim for nearly 2 years now. I wear the hijab proudly and have a good understanding of Islam. I've started to think of wear the niqab. The only problem I have is that there are not that many muslims in my town and I'll proberly be the only person wearing it.
your imaan becomes stronger when you wear it sis:) just do it for Allah! its well worth it

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Hamza Asadullah
10-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister it is commendable that you are feeling that you are ready for the next stage in your imaan(faith) and that is to cover that which is the focus of all beauty- the face.

There is a clear difference of opinion whether it is obligatory or not and both views should be respected but the closest to the Qur'an and sunnah is clearly that niqaab should be worn and ALL the four imaams agree with this.

Imam Abu-Hanifa (Rahmatullah alaih)- the face and palms is excluded from hijaab but the condition is there should be no fear of fitna. The Hanafi Jurists have said due to the immorality of times and weakness of resistance, it is compulsory for a female to cover her face which is the

Focus of her beauty.

Imam Shaf’ie, Imam Malik and Imam Ahmed (Rahmatullah alaih) –It is not permissible for a lady to expose her face and palms whether there is danger of fitna or not.

Veil is legitimately defined as the dress that covers the whole body of the woman including her head, face, hands and feet. It should be long, loose and plain not defining her shape. Veil has been prescribed for women to block the road to sin. In short, veiling is a source of covering the face, hands, feet and other parts of the body. Allah Ta’ala states, ‘And they should draw their veils over their bosoms.’ (24:31)

‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (except eyes to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed.’ (33:59)

The Purpose of Veiling

The purpose of veiling is to safeguard woman from the biased looks of men and provide her a pure atmosphere at home so that she can perform her household duties properly and contribute to improve the whole society as Allah states, ‘And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the former times of ignorance.’ (33:33)

History shows that the children, who were brought up by their mothers in observance of the social values and religious obligations, later became the leaders of the nation. They admitted that the credit of their booming career goes to their mothers who bestowed on them the qualities of sincerity, faithfulness, honesty, self-reliance and social service; and encouraged them to continue their education.

Veiling gives an esteemed position to woman and protects her from sexual harassment by people. On the other hand, a woman, who displays her beauty and wears tight, short and transparent clothes, attracts men towards her. Consequently, they try to exploit her sexually using all possible techniques. Sometimes, woman also becomes weak and surrenders herself to the lust of men. Veiling provides security to woman and promotes a pure atmosphere in the society. But those who consider themselves as modern people consider it a disgrace and construe it as shackles for the woman. In comparison to the right and wrong, this world and the hereafter, paradise and hell, the observance of veiling is much smaller than that.

The rationale of veiling

Woman is Allah’s beautiful creation. On one hand, she satisfies man’s sexual desires and on the other hand, she plays a significant role in the growth of the human generations. No doubt, woman has a great attraction for a man. Due to this attraction, it is feared he will indulge in sins. Therefore, Allah has forbidden man strictly from fornication and adultery. He has also forbidden woman from exhibiting her charm. Regarding make-up and perfume, it is permissible for woman to wear them in front of her husband and closely related members of the family as Allah states, ‘They will not reveal their adornment except to their husband or their fathers, or their husband’s fathers, or their sons, or their husband’s sons, or their brothers or their brother’s sons, or their sister’s sons, or their (Muslim) women.’ (24:31)

The first verse regarding veil was revealed in al-Madina when Umar ibn al-Khattaab admonished the prophet’s wife, Sawdah bint Zam’ah, while going outside without a veil. Allah Ta’ala states, ‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (except eyes to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed.’ (33:59)

Generally, the veiling covers the whole body including head, face, hair, bosom, hands and feet. But in the absence of men it is permissible for woman to uncover her face as narrated by Aaisha [Radhiallaahu anha], ‘Some riders passed by us while we were with Allah’s Messenger [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] in the state of ritual consecration. When they came face to face, one of us let down her cloak (veil) from her head on her face and when they preceded us, we uncovered it.’ (Abu Dawud)

The Advantages of Veiling

The veiling system contains a number of advantages particularly in a society where the rape, sexual molestation and disrespect of woman are very common. Some of them are listed below:

1. Veiling is a protection for Muslim woman against the behaviour of the wicked;

2. It is an identify of the Muslim that distinguishes her;

3. It gives her an honoured position in the society;

4. It acts as a barrier between men and women to keep them away from sins;

5. It is a means for observing chastity of woman;

6. It awakens the fear of Allah in the heart of man and woman and saves them from falling in the abyss of evil;

7. It teaches man to respect the veiled woman, provide her protection from the curious persons and ensure the uplift of the high morals and social values in the society.

The Disadvantages of Unveiling

Due to mixing up with the non-Muslims, particularly, in the countries where the Muslims are in minority, the practice of unveiling has become a regular feature. But it is very harmful for the Muslim society. Unveiling has a number of disadvantages. Out of them, some are as follows:

1. It is a violation of the Qur’aan and Hadith;

2. It shows woman’s weakness in belief;

3. It is a cause of temptation for men and women;

4. It strips off her modesty that is an integral part of Faith as the Prophet [Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam] said, ‘Modesty is part of Faith.’ (al-Bukhari)

5. It subjects her to sexual harassment;

6. It hurts her dignity and feelings and it stains her chastity;

7. It prompts woman to take part in commercial advertisements and films as a showpiece and a source of enjoyment for the viewers.

Recommendations

Here are some recommendations that must be adhered to by a veiled woman when going out. They are as follows:

Veiling is the tradition of Muslim women. Since its prescription, the prophet’s wives, daughters and other believing Muslim women have strictly observed it. Today also, the Muslim ladies must keep it up. The veiled woman must understand the rationale of veiling and fulfill its requirements.

She must avoid wearing perfume and showing her finery in any way.

She must not be encouraging while dealing with men at the time of need.

She must be harsh in voice and avoid speaking softly, because it can be misconstrued as an invitation to strangers.

She must not stamp her feet letting her anklets tinkle or any other action that calls attention towards her.

She must be careful and reserved in her motions and even in looks while walking outside.

The women who display their beauty are often subjected to sexual exploitation by immoral people.

It is a fact that the life of the world is nothing but superficiality while the actual life is the life if the Hereafter where everyone will be rewarded for their deeds. The righteous will enjoy Allah’s pleasure. All blessings will be at their disposal. While the sinners and transgressors will be doomed to punishment that cannot be imagined. The evidence from the Qur’aan and Hadith confirm that Allah’s punishment will be severe.

Therefore, it is incumbent upon them to be chaste and veiling is a must for woman. However, she can uncover her face in the presence of the people who are closely related to her. She can freely move in front of the men in her common dress that has prescribed in the pleasure and comfort of her home.

It is the face from which the brands of beauty gush forth, passions are stirred up and the lusts are excited. The woman is bound to veil her hair, face, bosom, palms and feet according to the teachings of Islam.

As a matter of fact, the charm of woman is incorporated in her personality and dress. So, Allah has ordered woman to draw cloaks and hide her beauty from the strangers and distant relatives.

References: ma’ariful-Quran, vol. 7, pgs. 217-219., Fathul-Bari, vol. 10. pg. 677 Hadith # 4795, Umdatul-Qari. Vol. 19, Fataawa Rahimiya, vol.4 pg. 94-106

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source:http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...c2467d3ef35484

seeker-of-light
10-31-2009, 05:59 PM
i dont wear the niqab, but i would love to. i am just not allowed to due to various circumstances. i think that you iman will grow if you are able to and you start though^^ may Allah guide you

Esther462
10-31-2009, 09:34 PM
Thank for the advides and all think I sould wear it.
I text a muslim friend off mine that lived in my town for a while thinks that I shouldn't wear it as the some people in my town can be quite narsty covered muslims but some are quite nice.
I don't really know what to do but I really want wear it.
All I can do is pray about it and hope Allah will protect my from the evil in my town.

Woodrow
10-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I notice you did not ask if you have to wear it. You asked if you should wear it. I don't think I have ever seen a stronger statement of Emaan.

Sister, may all who see you wearing it see the true beauty of faith and join you in sharing Islam.

AnonymousPoster
11-01-2009, 01:41 AM
as far as i know, i was the only person wearing it when i stared 3 years ago. even if your are the only person wearing it, you maybe an inspiration to another sister who wants to wear it as well. i know for myself when i hear stories of sisters battling out, its an inspiration to me, even though i my live on the other side of the world :)

alcurad
11-01-2009, 02:53 AM
since it's not mandatory and creates too much trouble for our sisters living in non majority muslim areas I'd suggest that you don't.

also, what's the point? does so much of your faith truly depend on covering your face?

'chastity' and 'purity' are high and elevated words, but the human is human, his desires and urges are there regardless of what clothes he or others wear, if you want to be chaste and pure be so in your heart and mind, in your actions and words, donning a face veil will not make a big difference unless you believe you need it.

to me it seems many wear it to give themselves 'protection', but protection from what exactly? form people's eyes as if it is not going to draw more eyes than not?
and are people that deranged that we need to hide women behind so many flimsy pieces of cloth that a simple gust of wind would do short work of?
it is allowed of course, some say it is an obligation, and you may think in terms of rewards and good deeds when making that decision, but spare a thought or two to what those rewards are meant to achive, not what shape they took once.

/rant :/

Sampharo
11-01-2009, 10:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
the one who starts a good action and has it followed has the reward of every person that follows it!

if you wear the niqaab, then after you who ever also wears it, YOU will get that reward :)
If you're thinking about it then I would strongly suggest you follow through with it. Like Ibn Abdul Hakim said, if there's no one doing it, you're set to gain great rewards insha Allah.

Caller الداعي
11-01-2009, 12:45 PM
may Allah make it easy for u!

Esther462
11-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I wore my Niqab out for the 1st time today. I felt nervious, like the 1st time I wore hijab out. It was going well untill an old lady pocked me in the supermarket and said to me that I'm in England and I don't have have to wear it. I told her that I was a local and it was my choise to wear it. It left me wondering am I doing the right thing on wear the niqab in a town where muslims are the minoraty. Any advice?

Caller الداعي
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
mashallah sis may Allah give u strength to continue wearing it!!!!!!!

mariyyah
11-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Asslamou Alaikoum Warahmatou ALAH Taala Wabarakatou,

Sister MASHALLAH well done , please dont listen to her and be stick to the niqab and dont give up and i wish if iam strong like you to wear it im still fighting to cover all my hair even HAMDOLLAH im muslim and please make duaa for me that i will one day wear niqab like you INSHALLAH

GuestFellow
11-06-2009, 03:42 PM
I wore my Niqab out for the 1st time today. I felt nervious, like the 1st time I wore hijab out. It was going well untill an old lady pocked me in the supermarket and said to me that I'm in England and I don't have have to wear it. I told her that I was a local and it was my choise to wear it. It left me wondering am I doing the right thing on wear the niqab in a town where muslims are the minoraty. Any advice?
:sl:

It's your choice. Forget what others think of you.

I'm doing a certificate in advocacy where I have to turn up to court and work. I wear a suit and a prayer cap. I get people glaring at me while some people give me dirty looks. I don't care.

You should not care what other people think of you.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
11-06-2009, 03:52 PM

If you want to, I say go for it insha'Allaah. I think it would also be a good source of motivation if you read up on what sisters that already wear the niqaab say. Check it out:

http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthre...hlight=niqa-be
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthre...0&page=1&pp=40

sevgi
11-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Sis, do as your heart tells you to.

All the bros who told her to wear it....start wearing a jalabiya and a kufi with a beard FULL TIME.

Its only logical that you do. I see no greater statement of iman.

sevgi
11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I dont have advice for you sis. Just a note though, 'contextual modesty' is one of my favourite phrases in the world.

May Allah make your life easy. Islam is a way of life-life as it surrounds us. Our prophet told us to make things easier, not harder.

allahslave
11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
asslamualikum sister...

mashallah sister...by allah's grace im really happy to see the level of ur iman even though ur staying in a non-muslim state alhamdulilah..hats off to you!!

sister please stick to what ur doing insha allah..its jihad fi sabililah...

im myself a niqaabi n it was very difficult for me in the beginning as well...but alhamdulilah i stuck to it and im finding it really easy now..

someone once told me this.."for eg there are 2 students one works really hard and the other one just studies enough so tht he can pass...
obviously the one who had worked really hard will get better in return than the one who just did enough.."

the same applies here the more u do the more closer u get to allah swt and the better ur rewarded insha allah..

and the only example for us in this world is prophet (SAW) and his wives...and the prophet (SAW)'s wives used to alwayz cover their faces..
we should try our best to follow their footsteps..

allah knows best :)

glo
11-06-2009, 06:59 PM
I wore my Niqab out for the 1st time today. I felt nervious, like the 1st time I wore hijab out. It was going well untill an old lady poked me in the supermarket and said to me that I'm in England and I don't have have to wear it. I told her that I was a local and it was my choise to wear it. It left me wondering am I doing the right thing on wear the niqab in a town where muslims are the minoraty. Any advice?
In what manner did this lady speak to you?

Perhaps she just wanted you to know that in this country you are not obliged to wear niqab (which of course is true).
That doesn't necessarily mean that she was critical or unfriendly. Indeed perhaps she was trying to be helpful.

I think you response to her was very good. :)
What did this old lady reply to it?

If you are convinced that wearing niqab is what you should do, then go ahead! :muslimah:

Esther462
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
In what manner did this lady speak to you?

What did this old lady reply to it?
She spock to me in a nice way but the fact she pocked me to get my attention wasn't nice.
The lady just walked away from me.

There were some school kids and they just kepted stairing at me. I just ignored them.
The harsh thing that happeren was when I went into the petol station to pay from my petol, they closed the till just I got in there so I had to wait for the other till to open but as soon I left they re-opened the till they closed.:raging:

Hamza Asadullah
11-06-2009, 11:31 PM
She spock to me in a nice way but the fact she pocked me to get my attention wasn't nice.

There were some school kids and they just kepted stairing at me. I just ignored them.
The harsh thing that happeren was when I went into the petol station to pay from my petol, they closed the till just I got in there so I had to wait for the other till to open but as soon I left they re-opened the till they closed.:raging:
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister know that shaythan will not give up on you and will always try to put you down and make you feel that you should not have it on. He will always try to make you feel paranoid when your our and he will try anything to ensure that you tak it off but how can shaythan bring harm to those who fear Allah?

My sister a lot of people have misconceptions about hijaab and niqaab and it is because of the media for the media has always purposly wanted to tarnish the image of the hijaab and niqaab and connect it with oppression of women and that women are imprisoned. This is the image they wanted to portray to people and unfortunatley the narrown minded of society have adopted this false image of hijaab and niqaab. But most people out there accept that a person should be able to express their religious identity. If women do ask you then you should inform them and maybe this will cause them to go and look into Islam and Allah may even open up their hearts and guide them to the truth inshallah!

The longer you wear it the more confident you will get and the more you will feel that it is a part of you. Sameway when a person is a new driver they will not feel as confident and will be a bit shaiky at first. So let it grow on you and give it time and you will not feel that you could go out without it. You will feel its a part of you and that it gives you true freedom.

There will always be people who will not understand. Let them say and do what they want my sister just think to yourself im doing this for Allah and Allah is testing me because bare in mind without the will of Allah know one will be able to say a word to you. So if Allah tests you then think that i am being tested and you will pass with flying colours and the more you wear the niqaab the more closer you will feel to Allah and the more amazing you will ever feel inshallah. So always be positive and think to yourself: "Im ONLY doing this for the pleasure of Allah and if i get tested then it is because Allah wants me to become closer to him and i feel proud to do what makes Allah happy!"

Rememeber my sister it is not between you and them and it never was, it is between you and allah and it always will be!

glo
11-07-2009, 08:35 AM
I am not sure what you mean by 'pocked'?
Did she poke you, or tap you on the shoulder?

I guess not being used to niqabis she may not have known how to catch your attention (to be honest, I wouldn't know either) - it is not like you can 'catch a niqabi's eye' as easily as you might with a non-covered woman ...
How would you have preferred to be approached by this lady? (I would like to know, so I know how best to approach niqabis myself)

I am sure that will happen. I think your reaction to ignore them is a good one! :)

Don't read too much into this. It may have been purely and simply a co-incidence, and nothing to do with you wearing niqab.

Remember that you are feeling a little apprehensive about wearing niqab, and that some part of you is expecting trouble and difficulties ... so try extra hard not to jump to conclusions about situations like this.
It may just be a co-incidence!
Don't get paranoid that everybody is out to get you because you are covering up!!

I hope your endeavour goes well. :)

Please share with us your postiive experiences too!

Rafeeq
11-07-2009, 12:07 PM

When the rain starts, the very first drop which touches the ground will not significantly seen and disappears in the thirsty land but as it is the one who got courage to discourage itself and arranged other thousands of drops to come down, is always remarkable for its deed.

You might the 1st such drop and many muslim girls may follow seeing your courage.

May Almighty Allah bless you with more wisdom and ability to act upon His choosen path (Amen).

:statisfie

Esther462
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM
It is going to be differcalt for me when I wear it out. People of my town are not used to seeing muslims, let alone one wearing a niqab.
I'm seeing my family tomoro so I'm not going to wear it.
The people I live with thinks it's a bad idea for me to wear it out again.
I've got on go into town on Monday to sort something out with my bank and I'm going to need my photo ID for it but I look total different on as the photo was taken before I converted to islam and started wear hijab and niqab. Do u think it is a good idea to wear my niqab to the bank?

OurIslamic
11-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Congratulations! :D

I think you are doing the right thing, and should continue to do so.

Hamza Asadullah
11-08-2009, 01:09 PM
It is going to be differcalt for me when I wear it out. People of my town are not used to seeing muslims, let alone one wearing a niqab.
I'm seeing my family tomoro so I'm not going to wear it.
The people I live with thinks it's a bad idea for me to wear it out again.
I've got on go into town on Monday to sort something out with my bank and I'm going to need my photo ID for it but I look total different on as the photo was taken before I converted to islam and started wear hijab and niqab. Do u think it is a good idea to wear my niqab to the bank?
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister there will always be people who will want to stop you from doing good and going towards Allah and it is because they will just not understand why a women would want to wear niqaab. Your intention is to wear it for the pleasure of Allah ONLY so don't care what anyone says because your not doing it for them your doing it solely for Allah! Be proud of wearing it and being a god fearing women. Be happy Allah has given you the ability to want to wear it. Disregard others if they tell you not to wear it or advise you not to because remember sister EVERYTHING happens ONLY in the will of Allah so wil he not help you through this process? You will be tested but be patient and you will get stronger day by day inshallah and soon you will feel that it is a part of you and if you don;t wear it that a part of you is missing. Niqaab is your freedom and just try and understand that others around you do not uinderstand thats why they may react in these ways. If someone asks you a question about niqaab then give them an answer as to why you wear it so that they may understand. Who know Allah may cause them to look more into Islam and may even open their hearts and guide them to Islam. This is how people come to Islam all the time. May Allah may you and all other women who wear niqaab and want to wear niqaab. Ameen

Read more about niqaab here:

Understanding the Face Veil

http://www.muhajabah.com/faceveil.htm

Why wear niqaab?

http://www.muhajabah.com/whyniqab.htm

BlissfullyJaded
11-09-2009, 10:00 PM

It is way too easy to tell a sister to wear niqaab without knowing what she may face. Just because she wants to doesn't mean now is the moment. Alhamdulillah you are wearing hijaab and covering properly already, so don't rush into anything. I'm assuming that you leave the house alone, and that too in a place where there is a Muslim minority who are not used to seeing women niqaab. That would be okay if they were open minded, but it is rare in these times to find people who don't mingle with Muslims yet are open minded towards them.

If stares and questions are the "worst" you'll face, and you feel that after a while you'll become desensitized to it and will be able to handle it, then keep wearing it. If it will get worse and you risk people yelling at you or maybe something worse than that, then I would say put this off until later and pray that Allah opens the doors for you to wear some day.

Oh, and I don't think it's a good idea to wear the niqaab to the bank. They most probably may request that you remove it. Over here they do, since robbers generally cover their faces, it creates an unnecessary panic for everybody to see a niqaabi.

bluebell
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
:sl: sister.

I also live in a place where muslims are in the minority, and there are very less people wearing the niqab.
I did actually start wearing the niqab, but people's bad behaviour put me of wearing the it. It was really bad, young lads would call me all sorts of names, bump into me purposedly, girls would stare right into my face and swear, the saddest part is old men would swear and block your way.

anyways I did have a bad experience wearing a niqab, so I dont wear it anymore, I feel more safer not wearing it, and it makes my life more easier without it.

which is a shame, because I do realy realy want to wear it.

sister if you are having these problems, even to the extend that u cant find work, when u need money, and ither problems the niqab will cause in the kufr land then i sugest u dont wear it. I know its highly recommended but if its not safe for u then u shouldnt wear it.

Kabeer
11-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Salaam,

Just do what YOU believe is the best after reading and thinking it through. Whether it means wearing it or not. Either way you have Islamic backing.

Peace.

Somaiyah
11-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Salam,
I would really want to wear the niqab too... But for the respect of my nonMuslim family and because it will soon obviously be forbidden to wear niqab at university, I feel that it's no good time to wear it.

Supreme
11-10-2009, 06:44 PM
You can wear whatever you want if you think it somehow strengthens your religious beliefs. I fail to see how anyone would want to wear it, however. Please could someone explain to me? I don't mean to be rude, it just seems an empty gesture from the views of an outsider.

This is a question, and it seems the correct thread: Is wearing the niqab a necessary part of life in Islam, and if so, how comes so many Muslim women choose not to wear it? Also, how does wearing the niqab make one a better Muslim and is there any Quranic evidence to suggest that it does?

mammyluty
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
when i came out of the masjid on a friday prayer subhanallah i couldnt walk thruogh cos of so many men standing n i felt so dead shy n i said to myself from now onwards its going to be niqab i never used wear niqab aftr i got married i started wearing it at my own wish.n i can tell the diffrence,now i feel safe walking in the streets n i feel stronger in faith when people stare at me n the fact that they cant c nothing.i guesse it prevents me from sinning unaware.now i cant walk without niqab alhamdullilah.

Ansariyah
11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jawharah

It is way too easy to tell a sister to wear niqaab without knowing what she may face. Just because she wants to doesn't mean now is the moment. Alhamdulillah you are wearing hijaab and covering properly already, so don't rush into anything. I'm assuming that you leave the house alone, and that too in a place where there is a Muslim minority who are not used to seeing women niqaab. That would be okay if they were open minded, but it is rare in these times to find people who don't mingle with Muslims yet are open minded towards them.

If stares and questions are the "worst" you'll face, and you feel that after a while you'll become desensitized to it and will be able to handle it, then keep wearing it. If it will get worse and you risk people yelling at you or maybe something worse than that, then I would say put this off until later and pray that Allah opens the doors for you to wear some day.

Oh, and I don't think it's a good idea to wear the niqaab to the bank. They most probably may request that you remove it. Over here they do, since robbers generally cover their faces, it creates an unnecessary panic for everybody to see a niqaabi.
:wa:
My sentiments xactly..

Hamza Asadullah
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Whether or not you as a sister feel that niqab is for you, you should encourage and support those of your sisters who wear niqab for the sake of Allah SWT.

It was mentioned in here that 'wait until later on to wear it' but why wait? What does she have to wait for? How does one know how long their life will be? How will the situation of the locality or this world get any better? If anything the situation is getting worse! So nothing will change later so why not wear it now if the sister wants to. All she needs is a little push and encouragement.

Imagine how much reward a sister will get for wearing the niqaab in these western societies and the state of the world today? How happy would Allah be that look at my slave she is wearing the niqaab to please me regardless of anything else.

One should bear in mind that NO ONE and NOTHING can harm a person except for the will of Allah. Even if the whole world tried they would NOT be able to do NOTHING to hurt or affect her.

One should know that whatever happens to a women who wears niqaab is a test on her. If she passes the test then Allah is with her and her reward is surely JANNAH!

So let us encourage sisters to do good and know that everything happens in the will of Allah so Allah will protect the sister and if trial befalls one then bare with it with patience just like the Ambiya and sahaba and all pious people have to go through.

Rememeber it is ONLY the best people who get tested and tried the most.

May Allah give the ability for all of us to please Allah the most. Ameen

Esther462
11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks to those who told me not to wear it and to those who told me wear it.
My family are all none muslims and they see the niqab as a little too extream for them so I won't be wearing it when I see them.
I wore my niqab in to town and to the bank. It went alright. One lady in the bank just kept looking up and down me, thinking what on earth am I wearing as I had my niqab on my head and trousers and skirt on my legs, so I looked a little strange. The staff in the bank were very nice to me. I have to go back next week to see an adviser to verifie my ID as I had something missing but I've asked to see a lady adviser so that she can see my face.
I wore my niqab on my walking group today and to the supermarket and it went fine.:shade:
I've got horse riding tomoro and I'm not going to wear it on health and safety grounds but it's all females in my group and the stables is on a road that not many people go down.
I've also got my arabic lesson tomoro too. It is a mainly none muslim group with a mix men and ladys. I said to the group I wasn't going to wear niqab till I was married. So I don't really know what I'm going to do about that.:hmm:
I'm planning to go to a halal shop to get my meat either tomororo or Thursday and I haven't deside to wear the niqab or not. Lone lady walking into a shop on her own!!!^o)

BlissfullyJaded
11-10-2009, 10:33 PM

MashaAllah sister! It sounds like it going pretty good. :thumbs_up

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Whether or not you as a sister feel that niqab is for you, you should encourage and support those of your sisters who wear niqab for the sake of Allah SWT.
I do wear niqaab. I'm aware of the views of the Four Imaams (Rahimahullah), I'm aware about the rewards of wearing niqaab, and I'm aware of what amazing thing niqaab is. I also know that wearing the hijaab and abaya properly, and not wearing the niqaab in Western society is something that is also quite hard in some areas and takes courage. I personally would not pressure any sister to wear niqaab if I felt she may face some sort of oppression without the protection of a brother. I'm not scared of stares or comments, but the possibility of violence and anything degrading can take its toll on a person. True, the reward of whatever she goes through is immense, but that's a decision for her to make. She asked if she should, not if it's required.

May Allah give the ability for all of us to please Allah the most. Ameen
Ameen.

Somaiyah
11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
You can wear whatever you want if you think it somehow strengthens your religious beliefs. I fail to see how anyone would want to wear it, however. Please could someone explain to me? I don't mean to be rude, it just seems an empty gesture from the views of an outsider.

This is a question, and it seems the correct thread: Is wearing the niqab a necessary part of life in Islam, and if so, how comes so many Muslim women choose not to wear it? Also, how does wearing the niqab make one a better Muslim and is there any Quranic evidence to suggest that it does?
Well I can tell you, that just 1½ year ago I wore short skirts, very revealing tops and highheels. Now I have hijab, long skirts and dresses over. My next step I would love to be to wear the niqab inshallah. Before I didn't think that clothes had anything to do with your lifestyle, with you or with your religion. It just wasn't something crossing my mind. A little time before I converted I started to consider this thing about clothes. I started to wear jeans always and longsleeved dresses over. When the summer came I was still not wearing a hijab, even though I by then was a Muslim. But nobody knew about my converting and to prevent that some days I had to do like my family wanted and dress more "revealing" to not blow my cover. And by doing this I had never felt so ashamed in my whole life. A year before that I didn't feel any shame over how I dressed, I didn't care about how men looked at me, I didn't care about if people spoke about me or what they thought about me in private. But this summer a year after I felt ashamed if I had to wear a short sleeved t-shirt once. Never that I had anything else than long skirts, but short sleeves was a problem to deny in the sun when I "should" sun and bathe like anyone else. Then, a couple of months after, I now have the hijab. Always never tight clothes, always total covered head except the face and always long skirts and clothes over.
Why this change over so short time? I have never felt more secure than now, I have never felt so happy for myself than now, I have never felt such self respect and self confidence than now. The way you clothe yourself and the way you feel about yourself does more than you think. As a man you don't have to cover as much as women so I can't speak for the men, but as a woman it's hard to feel more valuable than when you find the right meaning of hijab. You protect yourself, you hide your beauty and you want to choose who is allowed to see you and not. If you feel it's oppressing then you have given up for the society and you didn't find the right meaning of it.
Then when talking about niqab it's one step more. And as long as you don't find any answer on why you want to wear it, then you probably don't want to wear it either and you have hard to understand why others want to wear it too. But for me, it's one step further on the way of appreciating yourself so much that you want to cover your face too. And if you feel it's a message from Allah (swt) that you should cover your face too, then you do it for the sake of Allah (swt). And doing it for the sake of Allah (swt) is something many Muslims don't even find a way to complain about something that Allah (swt) wants you to do. Then we come to two sollutions that many also take as both reasons for wearing the niqab: Otherwise you want to wear niqab because you feel better from covering yourself and you have many personal reasons for this, or you want to do it for the sake of Allah (swt) which makes you not able to say no to yourself for doing it no matter if you like it or not.

Hamza Asadullah
11-11-2009, 11:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by J Aaliyah
Well I can tell you, that just 1½ year ago I wore short skirts, very revealing tops and highheels. Now I have hijab, long skirts and dresses over. My next step I would love to be to wear the niqab inshallah. Before I didn't think that clothes had anything to do with your lifestyle, with you or with your religion. It just wasn't something crossing my mind. A little time before I converted I started to consider this thing about clothes. I started to wear jeans always and longsleeved dresses over. When the summer came I was still not wearing a hijab, even though I by then was a Muslim. But nobody knew about my converting and to prevent that some days I had to do like my family wanted and dress more "revealing" to not blow my cover. And by doing this I had never felt so ashamed in my whole life. A year before that I didn't feel any shame over how I dressed, I didn't care about how men looked at me, I didn't care about if people spoke about me or what they thought about me in private. But this summer a year after I felt ashamed if I had to wear a short sleeved t-shirt once. Never that I had anything else than long skirts, but short sleeves was a problem to deny in the sun when I "should" sun and bathe like anyone else. Then, a couple of months after, I now have the hijab. Always never tight clothes, always total covered head except the face and always long skirts and clothes over.
Why this change over so short time? I have never felt more secure than now, I have never felt so happy for myself than now, I have never felt such self respect and self confidence than now. The way you clothe yourself and the way you feel about yourself does more than you think. As a man you don't have to cover as much as women so I can't speak for the men, but as a woman it's hard to feel more valuable than when you find the right meaning of hijab. You protect yourself, you hide your beauty and you want to choose who is allowed to see you and not. If you feel it's oppressing then you have given up for the society and you didn't find the right meaning of it.
Then when talking about niqab it's one step more. And as long as you don't find any answer on why you want to wear it, then you probably don't want to wear it either and you have hard to understand why others want to wear it too. But for me, it's one step further on the way of appreciating yourself so much that you want to cover your face too. And if you feel it's a message from Allah (swt) that you should cover your face too, then you do it for the sake of Allah (swt). And doing it for the sake of Allah (swt) is something many Muslims don't even find a way to complain about something that Allah (swt) wants you to do. Then we come to two sollutions that many also take as both reasons for wearing the niqab: Otherwise you want to wear niqab because you feel better from covering yourself and you have many personal reasons for this, or you want to do it for the sake of Allah (swt) which makes you not able to say no to yourself for doing it no matter if you like it or not.
Subhanallah jazakallah for your inspiring story. Muslim women are like hidden jewels and the beauty of a hidden jewel should ONLY be appreciated and admired by her husband.

May Allah give us the ability to please him the most and to shun this world for the life hereafter. Ameen

Insaanah
11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
You protect yourself, you hide your beauty and you want to choose who is allowed to see you and not.
What a beautiful expression of choice, empowerment and freedom for Muslim women MaashaAllah!

I have heard the pearl and hidden jewel analogy for niqaab, and whilst it is true that Muslim women ARE jewels :statisfie, jewels are normally hidden by their owner, so I find that that particular analogy doesn't really work with non-Muslims that I discuss it with, as it can imply ownership of women.

But for me, it's one step further on the way of appreciating yourself so much that you want to cover your face too. And if you feel it's a message from Allah (swt) that you should cover your face too, then you do it for the sake of Allah (swt).
MaashaAllah, these are the most beautiful words I have heard on niqaab, you have inspired me so much, may Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen.

Somaiyah
11-14-2009, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insane Insaan
What a beautiful expression of choice, empowerment and freedom for Muslim women MaashaAllah!

I have heard the pearl and hidden jewel analogy for niqaab, and whilst it is true that Muslim women ARE jewels :statisfie, jewels are normally hidden by their owner, so I find that that particular analogy doesn't really work with non-Muslims that I discuss it with, as it can imply ownership of women.

MaashaAllah, these are the most beautiful words I have heard on niqaab, you have inspired me so much, may Allah reward you abundantly. Ameen.
Salam,
I am happy to have helped you sister. Barak Allah fiki :statisfie

Muhammad
11-14-2009, 06:01 PM

Here's a nice video explaining about Niqab - establishing facts that all scholars agreed upon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZe44SX0EBo

Rabi'ya
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM

jazakAllah kheir for the video :)

cat eyes
11-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Wearing a light material over the eyes works wonders also from all those stares:embarrass

meer5sd
11-16-2009, 07:45 PM
jazakallakhair for the video

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.