/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to find Qiblah direction

------
11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
:salamext:

I am working at the moment, and I want to pray Zuhr and Asr at work. The only problem is, I don't know where the Qibla Direction is and I don't have a compass!

Some help please!!!!!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
11-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Anyone??!!

czgibson
11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Greetings,

Can you see the sun (i.e. is it daytime where you are)? Otherwise I think you might struggle to find out unless there's someone there you can ask.

Peace

------
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM

Yeh a bit from the window, although it's cloudy lol

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd al-Baari
11-30-2007, 08:22 PM
:sl:

Try this http://www.qiblalocator.com/

Hope it helps, :)

------
11-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Erm that's only for the US init? I'm in UK lol

'Abd al-Baari
11-30-2007, 08:26 PM

nah i just checked it and it worked for me (i'm in the uk too)

czgibson
11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Greetings,

Here is how to find out what direction you're facing by looking at the sun. I would recommend the Watch Method.

Edit: I notice you say you're in the UK. It's pitch black right now in the UK. Sorry, I think I'm out of ideas.

Peace

------
11-30-2007, 08:32 PM

Jazaak Allaah Khayr Abdullah bro! That really helped!

N czgibson for ur efforts :)
EDIT: czgibson, am going to work on Monday, so I would've found the sun by then :p

:threadclo

:D

jzcasejz
12-01-2007, 12:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4
czgibson, am going to work on Monday, so I would've found the sun by then :p
^ InshaAllaah!

And BTW, JazaakAllaah Khayr Bro Abdullaah, you're a genius! Excellent link...

Ummu Sufyaan
12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

Try this http://www.qiblalocator.com/

Hope it helps, :)
jazakallahu khair.
good link...ive been praying in the wrong direction my whole life. :hiding: and so has our local masjid...

Al-Zaara
12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
jazakallahu khair.
good link...ive been praying in the wrong direction my whole life. :hiding: and so has our local masjid...
Aleykum selam,

SERIOUUS!?? Maybe you are mistaken? :?

'Abd al-Baari
12-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Are you sure sista Maryam?

I've checked it against My home and local Masjid and its right there..but maybe theres a mistake with it in your area?

Has anyone else checked it against there direction?

------
12-01-2007, 02:14 PM

Yeh I've checked it with my home direction - seems to be the same. :thumbs_up

Al-Zaara
12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by <Abdullah>

Are you sure sista Maryam?

I've checked it against My home and local Masjid and its right there..but maybe theres a mistake with it in your area?

Has anyone else checked it against there direction?
Aleykum selam,

Haven't checked yet, but to be honest - A masjid isn't done and lead by anyone, people do have knowledge. The site could be wrong, I mean, it's the Internet. So before you take action, do talk with the Imaams in your masjid.

jzcasejz
12-01-2007, 02:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Aleykum selam,

Haven't checked yet, but to be honest - A masjid isn't done and lead by anyone, people do have knowledge. The site could be wrong, I mean, it's the Internet. So before you take action, do talk with the Imaams in your masjid.
Wa'alaykum Salaam

I think it's accurate to be honest (well for me it was). The Masjid is just outside my house (20 seconds away) and I checked the satellite image and zoomed into my house while also having the Masjid in view. It was accurate...

aadil77
12-01-2007, 02:34 PM

I heard that if you face the sun rise or sunset (depending which side of earth you're on) you'll automatically be facing the Kaabah, i think is a miracle , ive tried it and it works

Al-Zaara
12-01-2007, 02:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Wa'alaykum Salaam

I think it's accurate to be honest (well for me it was). The Masjid is just outside my house (20 seconds away) and I checked the satellite image and zoomed into my house while also having the Masjid in view. It was accurate...
Yes, I'm not saying it is wrong, it could be, not all of it maybe, but maybe some? I mean firstly, do search information from the local Imaams, the scholars there, before you go to search info in the Internet... Not everything is wrong, but some things just might be. I mean this in general light.

jzcasejz
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes, I'm not saying it is wrong, it could be, not all of it maybe, but maybe some? I mean firstly, do search information from the local Imaams, the scholars there, before you go to search info in the Internet... Not everything is wrong, but some things just might be. I mean this in general light.
Yeah, I get you.

Jazaakillaah Khayr...

Al-Zaara
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by jzcasejz
Yeah, I get you.

Jazaakillaah Khayr...
Thank you brother! Wa iyyak!

P.S. The direction was right for me too.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Aleykum selam,

SERIOUUS!?? Maybe you are mistaken? :?
lol..yeah iam. i mean the qiblah direction at the masjid was right, but at my house it was wrong. :-[

Al-Zaara
12-02-2007, 08:15 AM
jazakallahu khair.
lol..yeah iam. i mean the qiblah direction at the masjid was right, but at my house it was wrong. :-[
Aleykum selam,

lol I understood differently from your earlier post, but now I get it, thanks for explaining. :p

Selam aleykum

Ummu Sufyaan
12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
why, how did you understand it. :?

'Abd al-Baari
12-02-2007, 10:27 AM

I think that she thought that u and your Masjid had been praying in the wrong directon because of this

ive been praying in the wrong direction my whole life. and so has our local masjid...

Ummu Sufyaan
12-02-2007, 10:28 AM
strange...thats what i meant :?
obviously, not intentionally.

'Abd al-Baari
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM

Lol no worries, at least now your praying in the right direction, Inshallah

Al-Zaara
12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
strange...thats what i meant :?
obviously, not intentionally.
Aleykum selam,
HUH?? ... OK, whatever. :D

InshaAllah you're prayin' in the right direction now.

Selam aleykum.

Ummu Sufyaan
12-10-2007, 07:13 AM
just a qn for everyone: is the qiblah at your place the same direction as the qiblah say at your friends place, on the otherside of town, (or just in general at your friends place)? well, over here it differs with everyone and i cant figure why there would be such a deviance in a small town.

ashley66
12-10-2007, 07:57 AM
This reminds me of a problem I had 4 month ago. The direction of qiblah at the prayer room at our clients office was out by about 15°. I checked using satelite image, comparison with other masjid on satelite image, measuring using compass outside the builiding and measuring using compass at neighbouring buildings. But when I use compass inside the building the electrical wiring make the compass reading errornous.

I am very sure that I was right about the direction of the qiblah, which was wrong in the prayer room, can I pray there following the imam knowing very well that the direction is wrong?

Since I couldn't find the answer for what felt like a long time, I resorted to praying at the surau in the building next door. Please can anyone help me?

moonlit_valley
09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Salaam all :sl:,

I've developed a site, QiblaDirection.com, that uses GoogleEarth to determine the direction to Makkah. I believe there are no sites *currently* that uses GoogleEarth. Others use GoogleMaps which isn't entirely accurate as the GoogleMaps uses a map that is projected on a flat surface, whilst GoogleEarth is projected on a globe. QiblaDirection.com uses GoogleMaps and GoogleEarth to draw a line between your location anywhere in the world and the Kaaba in Makkah. You can then zoom in to street level and use your local surrounds to determine the direction. It will also automatically give the prayer times for your location.

I've only just finished it, so it would be great if you could take a moment and tell me what you think. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Drew

S1aveofA11ah
09-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Asalaamualaikum,

Sorry trying to stay on topic - would you be able to help me with a query I have on accurately finding the Qibla please?. At the moment, when I need to, I use a normal compass to find the Qibla in the UK (S.E direction). However, I am concerned about the accuracy of this. The problem is if I put the compass down on some flat space it gives one direction and if I do the same on another nearby flat place it usually differs.

Do you know of any (cheap!) digital methods please?. Ones that do not need the compass to be put on a tabletop?.

I mean like a small (pocket) electronic device - something along the lines of the Qibla watches I have read about in the past.

Wa Salaam.

moonlit_valley
09-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Hello,

Well you could access qibladirection.com from your mobile and then use your local surroundings to locate the direction :)

I have a *digital* watch that gives the direction but that uses an embedded compass too. You may find that the ambiguous readings are due to metalic objects in the vacinity (including pipe work that maybe underground or metal inside apparently non metallic objects). Try putting the compass on a flat level table away from other objects and far enough from the ground. If you do that in two different places around the house, you'll know for sure.

The only compassless way I am aware of is using the sun, but it's not the most covenients of methods...

http://nomi.ibnmasud.com/blog/qibla-...using-the-sun/

Seriously, the purpose of qibladirection.com is just that, so if you can gain access to the internet you'll know the direction for sure.

Kind Regards

Drew

format_quote Originally Posted by S1aveofA11ah
Asalaamualaikum,

Sorry trying to stay on topic - would you be able to help me with a query I have on accurately finding the Qibla please?. At the moment, when I need to, I use a normal compass to find the Qibla in the UK (S.E direction). However, I am concerned about the accuracy of this. The problem is if I put the compass down on some flat space it gives one direction and if I do the same on another nearby flat place it usually differs.

Do you know of any (cheap!) digital methods please?. Ones that do not need the compass to be put on a tabletop?.

I mean like a small (pocket) electronic device - something along the lines of the Qibla watches I have read about in the past.

Wa Salaam.

Rasema
09-18-2009, 02:52 AM
I used to follow the sun as a director to the Qibla. Until I noticed that it changes(places).Now I follow this site: http://www.qiblalocator.com/

You enter the address and It shows the direction even through a satellite. What confused me is that its direction changes overtime. Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Rasema
09-18-2009, 04:45 PM
:eek:

Sombody?

Salahudeen
09-18-2009, 05:45 PM
mine hasn't changed for the last 12 years sis. In England I believe the Qibla is always towards the South East.

An easy way to find out is look at the Sky satellite dishes they all point towards South East. That's if your in UK

Rasema
09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
An easy way to find out is look at the Sky satellite dishes they all point towards South East. That's if your in UK
But I'm in the Unied States. Does it change because the Earth rotates oround the sun? I don't see no satellite dishes. Where are they located?

Salahudeen
09-18-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure to be honest, but I don't think it changes. The satellite dishes that I was talking about are the 1s that people put on their houses to get extra T.V channels lol.

the easiest way for you to find out is get a Qibla compass, they only cost £1.50.

Rasema
09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
I'm not sure to be honest, but I don't think it changes. The satellite dishes that I was talking about are the 1s that people put on their houses to get extra T.V channels lol.

the easiest way for you to find out is get a Qibla compass, they only cost £1.50.
We didn't purchase the cable with the dish but the one only with a cable.
So its direction doesn't change? That's what I wanted to know. imsad

Thanks for telling me the price for the compass. ;D
I'll try to find it in a grocery store.:(

Salahudeen
09-18-2009, 11:32 PM
^ lol no it doesn't change unless you change your own position. For example if your at your friends house the direction is going to be different than your house.

I got a compass on my key ring conveniately :) so whereever I am I can find the direction :)

Rasema
09-18-2009, 11:35 PM
^ lol no it doesn't change unless you change your own position. For example if your at your friends house the direction is going to be different than your house.

I got a compass on my key ring conveniately :) so whereever I am I can find the direction :)
Wow, I really thaught it changes.:heated:

Its obvious that when you change location that it changes.
I'll have to get that compass somehow,InshAllah.
Thanks

Salahudeen
09-18-2009, 11:46 PM
^ nah cos even though the Earth rotates the direction is stil the same. If the direction to places changed cos the Earth rotated then we'd have to make new maps all the time lol.

And you'd be going towards 1 place and then you'd find out it's direction had changed.

but that doesn't happen, if you wanna go to mecca the direction is always the same depending upon where you are. :)

Rasema
09-19-2009, 12:09 AM
^ nah cos even though the Earth rotates the direction is stil the same. If the direction to places changed cos the Earth rotated then we'd have to make new maps all the time lol.

And you'd be going towards 1 place and then you'd find out it's direction had changed.

but that doesn't happen, if you wanna go to mecca the direction is always the same depending upon where you are. :)
I knew that. My site was deluding me.:hiding:

Salahudeen
09-19-2009, 01:01 AM
lol :hiding:

xsmilesx
10-31-2009, 07:54 PM

Hello, i'm currently living on my own, slightly new to praying in Islam.

Can somebody please tell me how i can find the qiblah direction in my room? I know it's something to do with a compass lol.

Much appreciated, Thank you :)

AabiruSabeel
10-31-2009, 08:39 PM
:wa:

If you are located in London, you will have to face approximately 60° to the south.

You can use http://www.al-habib.info/qibla-pointer/ or http://www.qiblalocator.com/ to calculate your exact location with respect to Makkah.

:w:

PS:UK members can correct me if I am wrong.

xsmilesx
10-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Ok, from my location, it is said to be 119.05 degrees from north. Shall i now use a compass? Sorry if i sound really dumb :$

Mujahideen92
10-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Which city do you live in?

xsmilesx
10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahideen92
Which city do you live in?
London at the south east.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 02:23 AM
Alright sister, next take the compass and align it so the pointer points North.

Then, 119 degrees from North (clockwise on the compass) is the direction of the Qiblah :)

AabiruSabeel
11-01-2009, 04:44 AM

You can zoom in there on those maps and find the Qibla line with respect to your street or even your house wall. That will be easier for you to align yourself looking at the map.

Alternatively, you can use your compass as the bro said above^.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 05:00 AM
Yeah, thats a good idea too.

Though, its so creepy to be able to spot your house on Google Earth, down to the car parked at the driveway.

AabiruSabeel
11-01-2009, 05:32 AM
But there's a problem when using the compass. The map shows the direction with respect to the True North whereas the compass points to the Magnetic North.
You will have to find the magnetic declination at your place to find the exact direction using a compass. It will be around 20°.

I think it is better to use the map to zoom in at your house and find the exact direction. That will save you from all those calculations.
I have checked the map for Qibla directions at nearby Masajid to my home and found it to be accurate.

Alim Apprentice
11-01-2009, 05:45 AM
Thats a very good point. I think London's current declination is 6W right (can someone please confirm)? That means we need to add 6 degrees to 119, so 125 degrees is the absolute direction of the qiblat.

xsmilesx
11-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow, thank you so much. The map really helped, i don't know why i didn't do that sooner. I havn't really used a compass before lol :$.

Thank you again :)

Salam

Caller الداعي
11-01-2009, 12:09 PM
yep dat map helped me 2 so i gota turn a bit south!!

imam bukhari
01-26-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.qiblalocator.com/

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.