PDA

View Full Version : Should a muslim wear a poppy?



Ar-RaYYan
11-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Do any of you wear a poppy?
why?
why not?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Raphael
11-02-2009, 12:02 AM
Interesting question! I used to wear one long time ago. I stopped, not for any particular reason though.
Reply

nocturnal
11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
You know i've often struggled with this question. Personally i opt not to because the connotations that are associated with it, and augmented in media discussions, is that they are overwhelmingly to commemorate the war dead, injured, etc of certain nationalities.

Many countries have fought evil. Here in the UK, all the billboards are pasted with images of British servicemen current and former, but no reference to any foreigners who have died fighting aggression and persecution. I do back initiatives that support those who fought, and are fighting against fascist and oppressive forces. But this cannot be to the exclusion of other nationalities.
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by nocturnal
You know i've often struggled with this question. Personally i opt not to because the connotations that are associated with it
Such as? Genuine question.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Muslim Woman
11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
:sl:

Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Do any of you wear a poppy?
why?
why not?
What is it ? :embarrass
Reply

Supreme
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I do, as a symbol of my grandparents who fought against tyranny for freedom -freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of democracy. It is a potent symbol of mankind's finest hour.
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:



What is it ? :embarrass
The little red flower that you see people wearing.

Reply

nocturnal
11-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Such as? Genuine question.
Iraq, Afghanistan, (support our troops), our "noble" endeavours in the Middle East, the billboards of coffins of British personnel coming home, conveniently forgetting that over 1.2 million Iraqis have died as a direct result of the occupation notwithstanding Afghanistan.
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by nocturnal
Iraq, Afghanistan, (support our troops), our "noble" endeavours in the Middle East, the billboards of coffins of British personnel coming home, conveniently forgetting that over 1.2 million Iraqis have died as a direct result of the occupation notwithstanding Afghanistan.

I didn't know they were using it for current military action! I thought it was just WW1 WW2!
Reply

Supreme
11-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by Raphael
I didn't know they were using it for current military action! I thought it was just WW1 WW2!

It's for all the armed conflicts.

Iraq, Afghanistan, (support our troops), our "noble" endeavours in the Middle East, the billboards of coffins of British personnel coming home, conveniently forgetting that over 1.2 million Iraqis have died as a direct result of the occupation notwithstanding Afghanistan
Yes, but surely such a thing is a mark of respect for the soldiers who put their lives on the line, irregardless on whether or not you agree with the actual war?
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Supreme
Yes, but surely such a thing is a mark of respect for the soldiers who put their lives on the line, irregardless on whether or not you agree with the actual war?
Well I don't know about that Supreme, would you support troops that killed over a million English civilians? Its the principle.
Reply

Eliphaz
11-02-2009, 12:54 AM
No. Because Iraq and Afghanistan are illegal wars. They are the Vietnam of our era.
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Being a service connected disabled veteran of the the Korean and Viet Nam eras I wear one on memorial day. I wear it in memory of all soldiers of all nationalities and all countries that served as soldiers of honor and not as hoodlums.
Reply

Supreme
11-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Being a service connected disabled veteran of the the Korean and Viet Nam eras I wear one on memorial day. I wear it in memory of all soldiers of all nationalities and all countries that served as soldiers of honor and not as hoodlums.

Exactly. I wear it to remember World War 2 and the defeat of the Nazis in particular.
Reply

GuestFellow
11-02-2009, 04:13 PM
I wear a poppy but I don't know why... O.o

I'm so ignorant at times. :/
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I wear a poppy but I don't know why... O.o

I'm so ignorant at times. :/

Actions are but intentions I suppose. I guess it depends what you mean by wearing it.
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
this is related but not fully connected to the poppy. I really like the war memorial that stands here in Zeeland.




Notice it is dedicated to the veteran's of all wars. Also remember it was erected at a time when all soldiers were seen as honorable people ALL soldiers of all wars not just allies and American wars, but also the genuine soldiers of the enemy. Soldiers might have been enemies but it was recognized they were soldiers and not criminals


Just trivia during the worse days of the cold war I became friends with a Russian soldier. a very nice honorable man. Although one time he said

"One day we may meet on the battlefield, even though we are friends either I will kill you or you will kill me. But we are soldiers and we will do our duty."

I still see him as a soldier and not as a person to hate even though he was my enemy.
Reply

Supreme
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Soldiers might have been enemies but it was recognized they were soldiers and not criminals
Exactly. I don't know where all this rubbish has come from that insinuates soldiers are responsible for illegal wars and the like. They are doing their jobs.
Reply

Brasco
11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
It might be a foolish question, but what is a poppy? Sorry, but I have never heard of that :S
Reply

zakirs
11-02-2009, 04:58 PM
I just knew what poppy was, So i never had a chance to wear one.
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Here in the USA the poppies are made by disabled veteran's confined to VA hospitals. They are sold one day a year on Veteran's day They are to be a reminder that we are alive today because others died for us yesterday.
Reply

Raphael
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Here in the USA the poppies are made by disabled veteran's confined to VA hospitals. They are sold one day a year on Veteran's day They are to be a reminder that we are alive today because others died for us yesterday.
Maybe I'll wear one after all.
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I think a lot depends on the reason people wear them that makes it haram or halal. to some it is simply a means to donate money to a disabled person. To some it is honoring American Soldiers. To some it is a reminder of all the young people who died in wars world wide. The meaning differs, from person to person. There is no, holiday or ceremony connected with them.
Reply

mahi
11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Personally I'm iffy on them, and wouldn't really wear one. But i have no problem buying one from the old man who stands at the bigger train stations. Maybe I don't agree with policies and really I don't even know where the money actually goes, but they say its for the families so thats good enough. If not buy it for the families, buy it to show that better representations of ourselves that has been oft been lacked.
Reply

Ar-RaYYan
11-02-2009, 08:44 PM
As some of you said you wear poppies because to remind us of all those soldiers around the world who have died to fight oppression and persecution. Thats a good reason and i wouldnt mind wearing if that was the only reason. But in reality i feel as another brother said its mostly to commemorate those soldiers who have died from certain nationalities.
Beside that we got the issue of imitating non-muslim. Doesnt it apply to this situation?

Originally Posted by Raphael
I didn't know they were using it for current military action! I thought it was just WW1 WW2!
This year in Britain (more than ever before) the poppy are particularly connected with those dead and alive British soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of the billboards i have come across are of fatherless child and his mother holding a picture of their father/husband who died in Afghanistan/Iraq or pictures of troops in Afghanistan. I dont think i feel comfortable wearing a poppy to remind me of soldiers who are fighting an illegal war and not much considerations are given to millions of Iraqis and afghans who lost their lives because of this illegal occupation.

Another issue is where does all that money go to?
dont some of those money go to improve the service for troops in Afganistan?


brother Brasco go to post 7.
Reply

cat eyes
11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I Was thinking the poppy stood for the English rose how dumb am i :giggling:
Reply

sarajulldin
11-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I am wearing one at this moment in time at work, I wear one each year and only wear one for reminder to me about the wars we had not the current ones in Iraq an Afghanistan

These are illegale wars, but we have to remeber this is not the fault of those people who fight for our governemnts.

I personally think its a decent way in remerbering those who died, and also serves a reminder for all those innocent who have also died due to the wars.
Reply

cat eyes
11-02-2009, 09:31 PM
but by wearing one wouldnt you also be supporting the war on muslims? we all know that people join the army to get a chance to kill a muslim. my grandad and also my great grandad were both in the army and my great grandad was shot in the arm by the british fighting for independence for my country but in those days you joined the army because you basically wanted to fight for peace. English people are wearing for there own people not for anybody else. do you believe they care about the thousands of muslims thats being killed everyday
Reply

sarajulldin
11-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
but by wearing one wouldnt you also be supporting the war on muslims? we all know that people join the army to get a chance to kill a muslim. my grandad and also my great grandad were both in the army and my great grandad was shot in the arm by the british fighting for independence for my country but in those days you joined the army because you basically wanted to fight for peace. English people are wearing for there own people not for anybody else. do you believe they care about the thousands of muslims thats being killed everyday
very true, but i dont believe people are joining to kill muslims, they joining to defend the UK. I agree with you, but if we dont remeber you grandad and great grandad then how do we?
Reply

alcurad
11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
oh, right. I thought poppy as in the one you extract opium from..
Reply

Ar-RaYYan
11-02-2009, 10:35 PM
^it seems some of you are confused over the word 'poppy'. Is there another term for it in america?
Reply

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
^it seems some of you are confused over the word 'poppy'. Is there another term for it in america?
Here we are speaking about the "Buddy Poppy" sold by disabled vets for any donation or given free if a person does not want to give a donation. The red color is to remind people of the blood spilled in wars and the poppy flower is to be a reminder of the graves filled by those wars.



It is usual worn by people like myself who were disabled by combat or those who had family and or friends killed or disabled in combat.

It is a remindar carring many meanigs by whoever wears it. For most it is a reminder of all those who died in war. It also gives the message that "War is not healthy for animals and Humans"
Reply

OurIslamic
11-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Is there a specific day when one should wear a poppy to commemorate those who have fought for Islam? I am interested in wearing one.
Reply

czgibson
11-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by cat eyes
English people are wearing for there own people not for anybody else. do you believe they care about the thousands of muslims thats being killed everyday
Any decent human being cares about the deaths of others.

Your statement below is possibly the most paranoid, ignorant and upsetting thing I have ever seen on this forum:

but by wearing one wouldnt you also be supporting the war on muslims? we all know that people join the army to get a chance to kill a muslim.
Peace
Reply

Supreme
11-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,


Any decent human being cares about the deaths of others.

Your statement below is possibly the most paranoid, ignorant and upsetting thing I have ever seen on this forum:



Peace


I missed those. How distressing how someone could even think that way.

For those of you who are completely clueless:

The Royal British Legion, sometimes referred to as simply The Legion, is the United Kingdom's leading charity providing financial, social and emotional support to millions who have served or who are currently serving in the British Armed Forces, and their dependants.

The British Legion was founded in 1921 as a voice for the ex-Service community as a merger of four organisations: the Comrades of the Great War, the National Association of Discharged Sailors and Soldiers, the National Federation of Discharged and Demobilized Sailors and Soldiers and the Officers' Association. It was granted a Royal Charter on 29 May 1971 to mark its fiftieth anniversary which gives the Legion the privilege of the prefix 'Royal'.[1]

Earl Haig, commander of the Battle of the Somme and Passchendaele was one of the founders of the Legion, and was President until his death.

Perhaps known best for the annual Poppy Appeal and Remembrance services, including the Festival of Remembrance, the Legion was born as a campaigning organisation and has been active behind the scenes in promoting the welfare and interests of the Services and ex-Service community for 86 years.

The Legion fight nearly 36,000 ongoing War Disablement Pension cases for war veterans and make around 300,000 welfare and friendship visits every year.

Ongoing Legion campaigns include calls for more research into: Gulf Illness and compensation for its victims; upgrading of War Pensions; the extension of endowment mortgage compensation for personnel serving overseas; and better support for Service personnel resettling into civilian life. In 2007, the Legion launched the Honour the Covenant campaign urging the Government to honour the Military Covenant.
Educate yourselves.
Reply

Woodrow
11-03-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by OurIslamic
Is there a specific day when one should wear a poppy to commemorate those who have fought for Islam? I am interested in wearing one.
Here in the USA they are usually sold on Nov. 11. This was the date WW1 ended. In the past it was called Armastice Day today it is called Veteran's Day. But there is no specific day to wear them or not wea them. ome vets now sell them year round and a person can usually find them for sale in ny VA hospital year round. Although they are sold as reminders of those killed or injured in war they are actually a symbol of Peace. As they remind us that wars kill.

I can understand the concern of many of my Brother's and Sister's in thinking they serve to finance wars. But the money for them goes to help Vets in need especially those forgotten by the government. Disabled vets and relatives of disabled vets are probably the most outspoken group in protest of illegal and/or unjustified wars. We served to be protectors not to be invaders or aggressors. We do get very angry when we see our young citizens being sent off to fight in unneeded or unjust wars. Vets do not want to see any more disabled vets joining our ranks. War has caused enough of us and it is time to stop the madness.

One of America's most out spoken veteran's, click on the link:

http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/iraq.html
Reply

OurIslamic
11-03-2009, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Woodrow
Here in the USA they are usually sold on Nov. 11. This was the date WW1 ended. In the past it was called Armastice Day today it is called Veteran's Day. But there is no specific day to wear them or not wea them. ome vets now sell them year round and a person can usually find them for sale in ny VA hospital year round. Although they are sold as reminders of those killed or injured in war they are actually a symbol of Peace. As they remind us that wars kill.

I can understand the concern of many of my Brother's and Sister's in thinking they serve to finance wars. But the money for them goes to help Vets in need especially those forgotten by the government. Disabled vets and relatives of disabled vets are probably the most outspoken group in protest of illegal and/or unjustified wars. We served to be protectors not to be invaders or aggressors. We do get very angry when we see our young citizens being sent off to fight in unneeded or unjust wars. Vets do not want to see any more disabled vets joining our ranks. War has caused enough of us and it is time to stop the madness.

One of America's most out spoken veteran's, click on the link:

http://webhost.bridgew.edu/jhayesboh/iraq.html
Thanks for the information :)
Reply

cat eyes
11-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,


Any decent human being cares about the deaths of others.

Your statement below is possibly the most paranoid, ignorant and upsetting thing I have ever seen on this forum:



Peace
really? then why are they always crying about the amount of british soldiers being killed all the time on sky news but they never mention the amount of muslim deaths?? i have nothing against british people both my parents are from british origin all my aunties and uncles and great uncles are all british believe me i have nothing against English people but its your government and your media please don't get me wrong. they are brainwashing your people
Reply

Thinker
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:

What is it ? :embarrass
Red poppies grew like weeds on the fields of France where countless thousands of soldiers died during the trench warfare of WW1, the thousands of blood red poppies were taken as a symbol of the thousands who died in those fields.
Reply

Supreme
11-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by cat eyes
really? then why are they always crying about the amount of british soldiers being killed all the time on sky news but they never mention the amount of muslim deaths?? i have nothing against british people both my parents are from british origin all my aunties and uncles and great uncles are all british believe me i have nothing against English people but its your government and your media please don't get me wrong. they are brainwashing your people
One reason for the record on British deaths is that it's of far more importance to the British public as a whole, but another reason is that the Army is an institution that keeps demographic statistics on its own members, thus it is easy to keep track of British casualties, whereas Muslim casualties, whether it be civilian or insurgent, are very hard to keep track of, as there are no official body counts conducted.
Reply

Ansariyah
11-03-2009, 02:56 PM
These double'standers! I'm not going to wear it cause of that/

When do we hear a moment of Silence' or See Poppy's bein worn for the innocent people that died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Chechniya, Kashmir..?

Wat is honour when its only one'sided?

All human blood is sacred, but Some bloods are sadly shoved to the pits to never be remembered.
Reply

Supreme
11-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Yanoorah
These double'standers! I'm not going to wear it cause of that/

When do we hear a moment of Silence' or See Poppy's bein worn for the innocent people that died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Chechniya, Kashmir..?

Wat is honour when its only one'sided?

All human blood is sacred, but Some bloods are sadly shoved to the pits to never be remembered.

Then that's your perogative. The poppy fund was never set up to commemorate or remember every single person who's ever died, or every single person who's ever died as a result of warfare. It was set up to remember those who fought in the UK Armed Services, whether it be WW1 or the Falklands, and to provide support for veterans.
Reply

czgibson
11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by cat eyes
really? then why are they always crying about the amount of british soldiers being killed all the time on sky news but they never mention the amount of muslim deaths??
Media outlets often mention innocent deaths. Like Supreme said, it's harder to keep track of the numbers, but estimates are often given on the news and discussion programmes like Question Time when the topic comes up. Sorry if that doesn't fit your conspiracy theory, but it's the reality of the situation.

its your government and your media please don't get me wrong. they are brainwashing your people
Not very successfully. Do you think the majority of British people support the Iraq war? Do you think the majority of British people treat most government statements with anything other than derision?

Where are you getting these crazy ideas?

Peace
Reply

Raphael
11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Yanoorah
These double'standers! I'm not going to wear it cause of that/

When do we hear a moment of Silence' or See Poppy's bein worn for the innocent people that died in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Chechniya, Kashmir..?

Wat is honour when its only one'sided?

All human blood is sacred, but Some bloods are sadly shoved to the pits to never be remembered.
Its not up to the British people to hold silences for the Muslim dead. What a strange statement.

In fact it grieves me that people can tear down embassies and cause riots over the naming of a teddy bear, but fail to show that passion over the number of Muslims that are dying. If Muslims do not value the blood of their own, then how can others?

I just know some people are about to defer, so let me just pre-empt this;

Whining on a forum, making YouTube videos, and forwarding emails about Israel does not count as grieving the dead - or even caring! Unless you literally are powerless to do anything else, and Allah knows best. Otherwise these are hollow actions done by armchair warriors from the warmth and comfort of their Western homes. Going on marches is better, but still that has very little impact.

Those who truly care about the blood of a Muslim, will rarely be saying that they do on the internet. It is usually the guilt of the one doing nothing that forces them to overcompensate by public expression.
Reply

Supreme
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson


Not very successfully. Do you think the majority of British people support the Iraq war? Do you think the majority of British people treat most government statements with anything other than derision?

Where are you getting these crazy ideas?

Peace
I missed that. Brainwashing us to resent their decisions?
Reply

Woodrow
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by Supreme
Then that's your perogative. The poppy fund was never set up to commemorate or remember every single person who's ever died, or every single person who's ever died as a result of warfare. It was set up to remember those who fought in the UK Armed Services, whether it be WW1 or the Falklands, and to provide support for veterans.

Here in the USA there is a more liberal view as to what the poppy represents. Probably because nearly all Americans (Except Native Americans) are fairly recent immigrants or the Children/Grandchildren of immigrants. Very few Americans have a family tree that extends over 200 years in America and many can only trace family residency here back 100 years or less. As a result nearly all of us have family ties from the nations America has been at war with. We can not help but also remember the dead from our native homelands.

A point of interest about the monument I posted above. Nearly all of the people in Zeeland are recent (From the 1920s-1940s) German immigrants and the original settlers that founded the city came from the Netherlands. When they are thinking of war dead, it is doubtful they are thinking in terms of only American dead.

It is true that the money generated from the poppy sales goes to help American veterans. But, it is not a government program and is not adminstered or helped by any government agencies. Any administration is through individual veteran organizations such as the VFW or DAV. Both organizations being among the most vocal opposition to illegal or immoral activies done by the Federal Government. Members are often war protesters as none want to see anybody killed in a needless war. Although it is easy to become a member of the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) we want to be an exclusive group and do not want to see one more person meet the eligibility requirements. We want to avoid getting new members. A great joy would be to see the DAV no longer be needed because nobody is left who meets the eligibility.
Reply

Rabi'ya
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
:sl:

Following the horrendous battles in WW1 and WW2 and the people who fought for our freedom. I feel that we owe it to previous generations to remember them and respect them for how they have helped us to live our lives as we do now.

Quick history lesson, the reason poppies were chosen as a form of rememberance is because hundreds of the little red flowers sprung up on the battlefields of WW1.

I have a lot of respect for the previous generations without whom we would not be able to live at ease within this country(UK for me)
Without the likes of whom we would be under a rule similar to that which is trying to be spread by the likes of the BNP etc.

I shall always wear a poppy. :)
Reply

Rabi'ya
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Why do we Wear Remembrance Poppies?
The Importance of the Poppy to Remembering World War 1 History

Call it Remembrance Day, Armistice Day or Veteran's Day: on November 11, many people wear poppies as signs of respect. But why were these flowers chosen?

The world's very first Remembrance Day was held in November 1921, three years after the end of World War One in which it is estimated between twenty and forty million people died. The occasion has been remembered annually every year since and is now used to mourn the dead from the Second World War too.

With the death of Britain's last WW1 survivor Harry Patch earlier this year, celebrating the dead of both World Wars has become increasingly important. But the flower everyone has worn on Remembrance Day and the approach to it for the last seventy-eight years remains an enigma to many: why was the poppy chosen as a symbol of WW1 above anything else?

In Flanders Fields
Flanders in Belgium saw some of the most intense fighting in WW1 and was transformed between 1914 and 1918 from one of the loveliest areas of Northern Europe into a scene of devastation, mud and the graves of men who gave their lives to the war.

But in the midst of the atrocities, every year without fail the poppies would bloom on the battle fields. There are good reasons why this was the case. Poppies are resiliant flowers. They are also flowers which only grow after the soil in which their seeds are buried becomes disturbed. The continual disruption of a war being fought on the soil thus encouraged their growth.

Poppies became adopted as a sign of life and hope for those fighting. The Canadian doctor John McCrae who witnessed much of the fighting in WW1 first hand, penned a poem on this contrast between the scenes of dead and dying and the presence of this blood-red flower. The poem, In Flanders Fields, became symbolic of the war effort and poppies are integrally associated with it.
Reply

Supreme
11-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
:sl:

Following the horrendous battles in WW1 and WW2 and the people who fought for our freedom. I feel that we owe it to previous generations to remember them and respect them for how they have helped us to live our lives as we do now.

Quick history lesson, the reason poppies were chosen as a form of rememberance is because hundreds of the little red flowers sprung up on the battlefields of WW1.

I have a lot of respect for the previous generations without whom we would not be able to live at ease within this country(UK for me)
Without the likes of whom we would be under a rule similar to that which is trying to be spread by the likes of the BNP etc.

I shall always wear a poppy. :)
Fantastic post my friend, outlines the core reasons I wear a poppy- in remembrance of the men and women who gave their lives to fight for freedom. As Churchill said,

What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, "This was their finest hour."
It still brings tears to my eyes that speech and the truths it rings. We take freedom for granted now. Indeed, even today, we can agree that it was man's finest hour.

I think the irony of the BNP is that it attracts many older generations who are discontent with a multicultural society, and the very same people who endured and fought the Nazis are voting them in.
Obviously that's a generalisation, but the BNP is definetly more popular with the older generation than the younger generation.
Reply

czgibson
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Greetings,

Originally Posted by Supreme
It still brings tears to my eyes that speech and the truths it rings. We take freedom for granted now. Indeed, even today, we can agree that it was man's finest hour.
Same here. Churchill had an amazing gift for using the English language, and this speech has been used in many lessons on rhetoric over the years.

It's best to listen to it, of course.

Peace
Reply

Ansariyah
11-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Raphael
Its not up to the British people to hold silences for the Muslim dead. What a strange statement.

In fact it grieves me that people can tear down embassies and cause riots over the naming of a teddy bear, but fail to show that passion over the number of Muslims that are dying. If Muslims do not value the blood of their own, then how can others?

I just know some people are about to defer, so let me just pre-empt this;

Whining on a forum, making YouTube videos, and forwarding emails about Israel does not count as grieving the dead - or even caring! Unless you literally are powerless to do anything else, and Allah knows best. Otherwise these are hollow actions done by armchair warriors from the warmth and comfort of their Western homes. Going on marches is better, but still that has very little impact.

Those who truly care about the blood of a Muslim, will rarely be saying that they do on the internet. It is usually the guilt of the one doing nothing that forces them to overcompensate by public expression.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I chose not to wear a Poppy n I stick by wat I said!

u have no right to pass personal judgements on me n question my intention.
Reply

JaffaCake
11-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Everyone is entitled to their opinion...

...u have no right to pass personal judgements on me..
I'm not sure those two things are compatible.
Reply

Woodrow
11-04-2009, 01:12 PM
The wearing of the poppy is not obligatory any place I know of. A person should only wear or not wear it based upon their personal feelings of what it means.
Reply

mish mash
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
my huzoor says that wearing a poppy is not haram. he sez its actually a gd thing!
Reply

Uthman
11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
:salamext:
Originally Posted by mish mash
my huzoor says that wearing a poppy is not haram. he sez its actually a gd thing!
Sister, what's a huzoor?
Reply

Esther462
11-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
Do any of you wear a poppy?
why?
I wear a poppy.
I wear it because I respect to trops that are fight a war out there for the freedom of the UK and it is part of the tradition of the UK.:shade:
Reply

Muslim Woman
11-12-2009, 12:03 AM
:sl:

Originally Posted by mish mash
my huzoor says that wearing a poppy is not haram. he sez its actually a gd thing!
that's interesting. I can understand it's not haram but why a good thing ?? Normally
religious teachers like to issue fatwa that Muslims must not follow anything that represents western culture . Your teacher is an exception.


Remembering Veterans and the Dead

Blood on Their Hands

By Eamonn McCann

"I have seen and endured the sufferings of the troops, and I can no longer be a party to prolong these sufferings for ends which I believe to be evil and unjust."

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article23946.htm

===
Reply

Woodrow
11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Just my opinion. If I were a Muslim living in the UK I would wear a poppy to show I consider the Muslim British soldiers who were martyred by the Nazis in WW2 deserve equal recognition as the other British Soldiers.
Reply

titus
11-15-2009, 06:32 AM
religious teachers like to issue fatwa that Muslims must not follow anything that represents western culture .
That is just sad.
Reply

tango92
12-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I think remembrance comes from the heart, not a poppy.

poppies, or any symbol for that matter, are a way of uniting people in the face of common difficulties and hardships, I dont want to be seen as uniting with kuffar over anything but the forbidding of evil.

still as a tribute to british history i would still not, because I was raised in britain, I have had my fair share of british lifestyle experience and believe me us muslims and the britishers are oceans apart. so i have no love for their way of life or their country.

but you cannot object if a muslim wishes to wear a poppy
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-18-2016, 09:52 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 02:48 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
  4. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-22-2010, 02:46 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!