/* */

PDA

View Full Version : ethicist, philosopher, cynic and realist?

Brasco
11-02-2009, 02:23 PM
:sl:

What's the difference between these attitudes? Insha'allah, one could write a little description to each one :D

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
:sl:

Let us begin first with what a Philosopher is. In it's simplist and broadest meaning a philosopher is a teacher.

This can get to be very specific as in the Ph.D (Doctor of Philosopher) which designate s the holder of the degree is a recognised authority in field the Ph.D is awarded and as such is qulified to give and teach the subject on all levels.

In a more specific meaning a philosopher is a teacher of a specific philosophy of life. The philosopher being the founder of the philosophy or an authority in the philosophy.

ethicist is a peson who follows a philosophy of ethics--all we do must be basd on ethical standards

A cynic is a person who follows a philosophy of cynicism-- we determine all we get. there is no hope or future except for what we get for our selves

A realist is a person who follows a philosophy of realism--all that exists is what we can see and do.

an atheist is a person who follows a philosophy of atheism--There is no diety (or god)

A theist is a person who follows a philosophy of theism--God(swt) is real

Brasco
11-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Jazakullahu kheir akhi! What are the characteristics of them? In what way do they differ within themselves (ethicist, philosopher, cynic and realist)?

May allah ta'ala reward you!!

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco
Jazakullahu kheir akhi! What are the characteristics of them? In what way do they differ within themselves (ethicist, philosopher, cynic and realist)?

May allah ta'ala reward you!!
The Philosopher is the teacher or founder of a philosophy. Each philosopher teaches/preaches that which he/she believes to be true. to explain the charecteristics would be to explain the characteristics of a teacher. Each is different based upon what they believe and teach.

An ethicist is a person who follows this creed as the way he chooses to live:An ethicist believes all people must live a moral life based upon a code of ethics. An ethicist follows a code of ethics, either a God based one, a man made one or both. Ethicists will differ in their concept of morality based upon the code of ethics they follow. But all will live by a code of ethics. The best know philosophers of ethicism are:Ralph Cudworth and Samual Clarke this also led to other philosophies such as sentamentalism

A cynic rejects all conventional teachings of religions, governments or any authority and place virtue as the living of a simplistic non-material life. The classic Phiosophers of Cynicism were the Greek Cynics:
Antisthenes,
Diogenes of Sinope
Crates of Thebes

Cynicism teaches that man should not posses any material things and live a life of poverty, with virtue being the denouncing of all earthly pleasures. The philosophy of cynicism became the basis for the Philosophy of Stoicism

A realist follows the philosophy of realism. Two groups of people tended to follow the philosophy of realism most noted were the Realist Painters who believed art should reflect things as the are without embellishment or interpretation. In the world of metaphysics and contemporary philosophy a realist question the reality of all things as to what exists or does not exist. Condending that what exists is that which can be proven to exist. In the metaphysical extreme a realist believes nothing exists not even themselves.
Some philosophers of realism:

Eli Siegal

Josemaría Escrivá

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Brasco
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Philosopher: wonders, puts thoughts into practice.....are there more? :D The ethicist is very clear! That's a really great description, masha'allah!! :D What are there attitudes towards justice and responsibility? For example, buying cheap T-shirts being made in china really cheap and that conditions are not right over there! Would all of them think about it?

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Philosopher: wonders, puts thoughts into practice.....are there more? :D The ethicist is very clear! That's a really great description, masha'allah!! :D What are there attitudes towards justice and responsibility? For example, buying cheap T-shirts being made in china really cheap and that conditions are not right over there! Would all of them think about it?
a cynic probably would not even think of it at just say "we have no need for the T-shirt and the worker in such conditions only reaps from his desire to have money to buy material things."

The ethicist would differ depending on what code of ethics he follows. One following a Religious morality code would say "that is horrible, let us refuse to buy the T-shirts and drive those evil people out of Business." A man following a moral code based on relationship or friends might say "Hey, my brother sells them shirts. Nobody messes with my family. Buy them shirts and support my Brother"

A Realist extremest might say "Who cares I can not see the person making the shirt, therefore he does not exist."

Brasco
11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
ah, alright!! Jazakullahu kheir akhi!! you really helped me a lot! Bro, insha'allah if I have more questions, would you mind to help me? :$

Woodrow
11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
ah, alright!! Jazakullahu kheir akhi!! you really helped me a lot! Bro, insha'allah if I have more questions, would you mind to help me? :$
If Iam able to Inshallah

Trumble
11-02-2009, 07:18 PM
A philosopher is simply someone who does philosophy; which is the study of fundamental problems of existence such as the nature of reality, what constitutes knowledge, what we mean by 'consciousness', what constitutes 'beauty', whether or not there is a God, what we need to do to be 'moral', and so on. It has nothing inherently to do with teaching (let alone 'preaching'!), although obviously many academic philosophers do teach, as do many academic physicists and historians. Nor do philosophers have any obligation to found or even belong to any philosophical 'school'; very few do the former and not that many the latter (labels tend to be applied by other people).

All ethicists are philosophers, although not all philosophers are ethicists.

And all philosophers and ethicists may, or may not, be cynics, realists, both or neither!

Brasco
11-10-2009, 06:48 PM
There is this organization called "Rugmark" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugmark

Could someone tell me insha'allah, what Immanuel Kant and Hans Jonas' atittudes towards this organization would be like? I mean, by their doctrines, what would they think about it?

Alpha Dude
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
A man punishes a convicted rapist by throwing some rocks at him.

1. The ethicist questions the morality of the punishment.
2. The philosopher questions the rapist's motive behind the rape.
3. The cynic questions whether the rapist was capable of rape in the first place.
4. The realist gives the punisher a hand with rock throwing. :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.