/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Explanations of Evil in Islam?

Jessica
11-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Hello!
I am new to Islam and have recently been visiting my local Mosque very regularly to learn about a religion I'm so new to.

I come from a Christian background, but I am learning and hoping to convert to Islam soon. However there are some question on Evil that I'm struggling to find answers for. For example, are natural disasters test from Allah or punishments or both? Are people that die in events like earthquakes can they be considered martyrs, or is it Gods will? I've been trying to find a reference in the Qua'ran to a natural fiasco which was a punishment from Mankind, does anyone know of any?
Can Jinn cause natural diasters?

Are there examples of the profits experiencing evil in the Qua'ran and what they do to combat it?
I always find evil and suffering hard to comprehend, but am I right in thinking that evil is essential for the evolving of our souls, and that Allah deliberately gives us tests to see that we are living to his word? Who is being tested if someone is born with a hugely disabilitating disease that doesn't allow them to take actions or make discesions for themselves?

Please excuse my ignorance, I would really appreciate any help as I'm desperate to learn more. Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions?
I wish you all Good health and blessings
Thank-you =]

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
11-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by Jessica
Hello!
Welcome to the forum .

hoping to convert to Islam soon
:statisfie May God guide u .

InshaAllah will try to post few answers for u asap :)

Muslim Woman
11-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Salaam/Peace

... are natural disasters test from Allah or punishments or both?
could be both. One related verse .

And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).

( سورة البقرة , Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #155)

Are people that die in events like earthquakes can they be considered martyrs, or is it Gods will?
I think , not all people will be considered as martyrs as they had no such intention to do anything for God Almighty. And Allah knows Best.

I read a story like this : once angels asked God while destroying a city , should they kill a pious man. God said : start with him . Because he does not forbid people from doing bad things.

I don't think so . The power they have over human is limited and they can't do anything unless God allows it.

Who is being tested if someone is born with a hugely disabilitating disease that doesn't allow them to take actions or make discesions for themselves?
If u mean the mentally disabled persons , then to my knowledge , they won't be asked on the final day. Because what is halal and haram , that is applicable for sane and adults only.

Their condition could be a test for their parents / family members. They will get rewards if they show patience and take care of the disable member .

a related link:

Why Does Allah Allow Suffering and Evil in the World?

....the question should not be why does Allah allow suffering, but how much Allah protects us and saves us all the time in spite of our violations and negligence. The Qur’an says:

“If Allah were to punish people according to what they deserve, He would not leave on the back of the (earth) a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: when their Term expires, verily Allah has in His sight all His servants." (Fatir:45)

But sometimes Allah does punish people because of their violations of His laws whether they are physical or moral. The Qur’an tells us that many nations and communities were destroyed because of their sinful lifestyles:

“If they treat thy (mission) as false, so did the Peoples before them (with their Prophets), the People of Noah, and Ad and Thamud.

Those of Abraham and Lut; and the Companions of the Madyan people; and Moses was rejected (in the same way). But I granted respite to the Unbelievers, and (only) after that did I punish them: but how (terrible) was My rejection (of them)! How many populations have We destroyed, which were given to wrong-doing!

They tumbled down on their roofs. And how many wells are lying idle and neglected, and castles lofty and well-built?" (Al-Hajj: 42-45)

Believers face the sufferings with prayers, repentance and good deeds. The non-believers face the sufferings with doubts and confusions. They blame Allah or make arguments against Him.

May Allah keep us on the right path, Amen!

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544478

alcurad
11-03-2009, 01:05 AM
welcome sister Jessica :)

anyway, the 'problem' of evil is really a misnomer, what is evil and why is it a problem?

see if evil is anything that harms/hurts/causes suffering, then how are we to know to what end that suffering led to? maybe to a greater good? bring in perspective and evil as well as good become ambiguous on a larger scale.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
11-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Hello!
I am new to Islam and have recently been visiting my local Mosque very regularly to learn about a religion I'm so new to.

I come from a Christian background, but I am learning and hoping to convert to Islam soon. However there are some question on Evil that I'm struggling to find answers for. For example, are natural disasters test from Allah or punishments or both?

La Hawla wa La Quwata Illa Billha=the is no movement or power but Allah.

regarding natural disasters: one hopes to die on "siratul mustaqeem" the straight path. now, a natural disaster strikes:

believers in the Masjid performing Ibadaah [worship] hopefully Allah considers them martyrs. the same with other believers performing act of worship such as taking care of their family or working to take care of their family, again hopefully good. we CAN'T say who is going to heaven and who is not unless it is/was revealed to us byAllah or his Messengers because Allah is Maliki Yawmid Din=the Owner of the Day of Judgment.the other results can be a punishment for some and a test for others, losing a loved one is a test.

the news would not be so god for some doing something haram at that moment or who is in a state of unbelief.

Are people that die in events like earthquakes can they be considered martyrs, or is it Gods will? I've been trying to find a reference in the Qua'ran to a natural fiasco which was a punishment from Mankind, does anyone know of any?

the Flood, Sodom & Gomorrah. there are a few others in Arabia as well.

Jinn are above my paygrade! i'll learn more about them soon, In Sha'a Allah, if Allah so wills.

Are there examples of the profits experiencing evil in the Qua'ran and what they do to combat it?

the last 2 Surahs in the Qur'an were revealed when a witch put a spell on the Prophet of Allah to combat the evil.

I always find evil and suffering hard to comprehend, but am I right in thinking that evil is essential for the evolving of our souls, and that Allah deliberately gives us tests to see that we are living to his word?

from the Qur'an:

[3.154] Then after sorrow He sent down security upon you, a calm coming upon a party of you, and (there was) another party whom their own souls had rendered anxious; they entertained about Allah thoughts of ignorance quite unjustly, saying: We have no hand in the affair. Say: Surely the affair is wholly (in the hands) of Allah. They conceal within their souls what they would not reveal to you. They say: Had we any hand in the affair, we would not have been slain here. Say: Had you remained in your houses, those for whom slaughter was ordained would certainly have gone forth to the places where they would be slain, and that Allah might test what was in your breasts and that He might purge what was in your hearts; and Allah knows what is in the breasts.
Who is being tested if someone is born with a hugely disabilitating disease that doesn't allow them to take actions or make discesions for themselves?

Allah knows best. it posssbile that those who have to take care of that person may get rewarded in the Akhira [next life] and someone who can't make decisions for themselves may have made the wrong ones if they could have made them.

from Sahih Bukhari:

Volume 8, Book 76, Number 476:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

I heard Allah's Apostle saying, Verily Allah created Mercy. The day He created it, He made it into one hundred parts. He withheld with Him ninety-nine parts, and sent its one part to all His creatures. Had the non-believer known of all the Mercy which is in the Hands of Allah, he would not lose hope of entering Paradise, and had the believer known of all the punishment which is present with Allah, he would not consider himself safe from the Hell-Fire."
Please excuse my ignorance, I would really appreciate any help as I'm desperate to learn more. Sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions?
I wish you all Good health and blessings
Thank-you =]
:sl:

i am a former Christian, though not a trinitarian. i get a lot of knowledge from a Canadian revert Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips. he addresses questions such as these in his talks on Tawheed [Oneness of Allah]. his talks regarding this can be found in his series Foundations of Islamic Studies on his website here:

http://www.bilalphilips.com/bilal_pa...sk=view&id=288

it is the 21 part series down at the bottom of the page. watching the first few parts will provide with a vast array of knowledge so that you may understand, In Sha'a Allah.

another brilliant speaker is the Mufti from Zimbabwe, Ismail ibn Musa Menk. you can find alot of his lectures here:

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

i would start in the 2 sections marked:

2. Mufti Ismail Menk Lecture Series - Volume 1

3. Mufti Ismail Menk Lecture Series - Volume 2

if you would like to gain some knowledge on Islamic History, i recommend Dr Bashar Shala. his series of lectures can be found here:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...wi%20%28saw%29

there are a few general sites with alot of good content here:

http://www.kalamullah.com/bashar-shala.html

http://www.alghurabaa.org/lectures/abu-abdis-salam/

http://www.hoor-al-ayn.com/lectures/yasir-birjas/

yell if you need further assistance!

:wa:

ardianto
11-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Salam Jessica. :)

Are people that die in events like earthquakes can they be considered martyrs, or is it Gods will?
There is a misunderstanding with word "consider".
A disaster victim doesn't get a special reward like martyr who died in jihad. But disaster victim body is treated like a martyr, in example, people can bury disaster victim body without bathed this body.

However, if people want to treat martyr or disaster victim body according to usual burial procession, it is allowed.

They have no power for making quake or tornado.

abu_musab461
11-04-2009, 01:33 AM
I know what i am talking about, so rest assured even iblis (father of all jinns) has no power over the wind, water, fire etc... so can not and DO NOT create or cause natural disaster... only the angels have that power- or i should say impliment Allah (swt) orders on this earth.

in fact no human had control over the wind except prophet soloman (as).

zakirs
11-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Salaam Sister , i guess what most have answered is enough. May Allah guide you. All the best :)

abu_musab461
11-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Harm and evils are a preception of the human mind- because we can only see things from one angle- the present.

How many time have "bad" things happend to us but then look back at it years later, we realise who much that thing benefitted us, ie. we wouldnt be who we are if that never happened.

eg. Some people are on the path leading towards Hellfire and thier baby or father dies and then they realise the reality of this world and begin practising islam fully.

So Infinite Wisdom and Knowledge belongs to Allah (swt) so if He (swt) chooses to allow some harm to befall the inhabitants of earth, man, jinn and animals- then it is out of His Infinite Wisdom and we do not have to right to say God is unjust or how can God exist where there is so much war an fighting happening on the earth etc etc..

Our minds are limited. We dont know what will happen to us tomorrow, while God is All-Knowing.

Allah Knows Best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.