/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in Islam?

Elizabeth
11-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I hope you're all in peace and good health. Sorry if this isn't the right location for this thread.

I have been been trained in ballet since I was a young child and even danced professionally in New York..I don't train anymore, but I still enjoy going to the studio to exercise. I was wondering what the position on this is. =/

I understand that when you convert it is as if you are born again, dead to your old life, but would dancing be completely haram? Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
11-03-2009, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
I hope you're all in peace and good health. Sorry if this isn't the right location for this thread.

I have been been trained in ballet since I was a young child and even danced professionally in New York..I don't train anymore, but I still enjoy going to the studio to exercise. I was wondering what the position on this is. =/

I understand that when you convert it is as if you are born again, dead to your old life, but would dancing be completely haram? Thank you.
I am not certain if it is forbidden in all circumstances but in some I am quite certain it is forbidden.

1. Dancing in view of members of the opposite gender unless they are your mahrams.

2. Dancing to music

Elizabeth
11-04-2009, 02:02 AM
Thank you for the reply.

mihja
11-04-2009, 05:14 AM
alsalam alykom ..

i am happy to be here , as it is my second posting ,

the dance and music , is one of the most hot topics being discussed all over the muslim world.

its completely forbidden to a woman to dance in front of any NON-MOHRAM man.

and also for a man to see it .

Hence ISLAM's aim is to save the society.

and to save the MUSLIM women from various risks , ISLAM ordered them not to show

their body to non-maharem.

& ALLAH a'alem

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Woman
11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Salaam/Peace.

... dead to your old life, .
anything lawful acts of the past will be allowed as a Muslim. Dancing in front of men is not allowed as they will enjoy your physical beauty .

May be , it's allowed if u dance in front of women only but I have confusion about the dress of a ballet dancer . If it reveals the private parts of the body , then umm.... may be it's not allowed in front of women also .

tresbien
11-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Elisabeth if we compare the sin of dancing to disbelief the latter is the most major sins that ALLAH does not forgive.Therefore, i can say ALLAH forgives all sins except associating any one with him.Let not let desire to be u God

Elizabeth
11-05-2009, 03:05 AM
JazakAllah khair for the information...Dancing is of the world and can be sacrificed for Allah (SWT).

Cabdullahi
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
ballet is rubbish

Beardo
11-06-2009, 01:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
ballet is rubbish
lol. See, I can understand females doing it etc alone, for exercise. But as far as guys doing it... That's just disgusting. Especially since you have to wear tights and all.

Everything has been made into dances these days. Kungu Fu, Karate, people make them into dances. Especially after MJ died, people are moonwalking all over the place. It's becoming just like music now.

OurIslamic
11-06-2009, 02:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
lol. See, I can understand females doing it etc alone, for exercise. But as far as guys doing it... That's just disgusting. Especially since you have to wear tights and all.

Everything has been made into dances these days. Kungu Fu, Karate, people make them into dances. Especially after MJ died, people are moonwalking all over the place. It's becoming just like music now.
I've never seen anyone try to dance with martial arts. :hmm:

Muslim Woman
11-06-2009, 04:27 AM
:sl:

... would dancing be completely haram?.

If you are married , u may dance in front of ur husband / with ur husband. If u are still unmarried , then mirror could be the audience :p

☆ღUmm Uthmanღ☆
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
:salamext:

With regard to dancing, it is not permissible in front of men, non-mahrams, mahrams or women, because of the fitnah that may be caused by the movements of the body. It is well known that women may feel desire for one another, and even if that is not the case, there is no guarantee that one of them will not go back to her menfolk and describe to them what she has seen of the beauty of the dancer and her movement, so this may affect the men and may cause a great deal of mischief. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade such things.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman should look at another woman then describe her to her husband so that it is as if he can see her.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4839.

In the early days the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) allowed effeminate men to enter upon woman, but when he saw one of them describing women and disclosing their secrets, he forbade them from doing that.

It was narrated from Umm Salamah (may Allaah be pleased with her): The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) entered upon me and there was an effeminate man with me. I heard him say to ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Abi Umayyah, “O ‘Abd-Allaah, if Allaah should enable you to conquer al-Taa’if tomorrow you should look for the daughter of Ghaylaan…” then he described her. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “These people should not enter upon you.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3980; Muslim, 4048.

The alluring movements of a woman are part of her ‘awrah, and it is not permissible for her to show them to anyone but her husband.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Dancing is makrooh in principle, but if it is done in the western manner or in imitation of the kaafir women, then it becomes haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” Moreover it sometimes leads to fitnah, because the dancer may be a young, beautiful woman, so the other women are tempted. Even if she is among other women, the other women may do things that indicate that they are temped by her. And whatever is a cause of fitnah is not allowed.

Liqa’ al-Baab al-Maftooh, q. 1085.

And he said:

With regard to dancing on the part of women, it is an evil action and we cannot say that it is permissible, because we have heard of incidents that have occurred among women because of it. If it is done by men that is even worse, because that is men imitating women, and the evil involved is well known. If dancing is done among a mixed group of men and women, as some of the foolish do, that is even worse because of the mixing and great fitnah involved, especially when that is done at a wedding party.”

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 3/187.

:w:

Hamza Asadullah
11-08-2009, 11:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman

If you are married , u may dance in front of ur husband / with ur husband. If u are still unmarried , then mirror could be the audience :p
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, in regards to dancing in front of ones husband:

The husband/wife relationship is important, and it is important that it be lived within the limits of the Qur'an and Sunna.

The guidance of the Qur'an and Sunna only permit certain types of music--please search SunniPath Answers (http://qa.sunnipath.com) for related answers. The music associated with people of corruption and indecency is not permitted by any of the scholars.

As such, it would be sinful to dance in any way to "belly dancing music,"because of the negative associations of such music. The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) warned us that, "Whoever imitates people becomes like them." [Ahmad, Abu Dawud, and Tabarani, from Ibn Umar (Allah be pleased with him); Iraqi said it is rigorously authentic (sahih)]

Thus dancing that is distinguishably that of the corrupt and immoral dance would be impermissible. But innocent dancing that is not like the dancing of the corrupt would be allowed in private, between husband and wife, even if sensual. This is what some leading scholars have explained on this issue.

And Allah alone gives success.

Source:

جوري
11-15-2009, 04:23 AM
dancing is cute for little girls with their tutu and cute shoes and adorable buns, I wouldn't enjoy seeing it from someone beyond the age of 8 plus, it wreaks havoc on the body, spinal injuries, tendinitis, wear and tear arthritis to name a few..
it is nice to enjoy it with your spouse or privately.. everything has a time and place..

cute here

and freaky here

Al-Indunisiy
12-23-2009, 07:39 AM

What about the Irish River Dance?

Elizabeth
12-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Irish River Dance would probably fall into the same rulings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.