/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Capital Punishment.

Fטлку
11-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Are you against it or not?
It's for an essay I'm writing.*sigh*

I'm writing against it. As they say, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind :D

If there's already a thread about it, can somebody direct me to it? Thanks :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
11-04-2009, 12:15 PM
I am in favour of capital punishment because it is a part of the Islamic Sharee'ah. However, I don't think it would be wise for it to be implemented except in accordance with what the Sharee'ah has specified. This is because, for Non-Muslim states to implement it, they would literally have to make up the laws along with the conditions for it as they go along. They would begin to ask questions such as:

- What if the person turns out to be innocent?
- Which type of capital punishment is suitable for which crime?
- For what crimes should capital punishment be applied anyway?
- Should there be any exemptions? If so, on what conditions should a person be exempted?

Man being the frail creature that he is, he is bound to make some errors in judgment and get some, if not all of the answers to these questions wrong.

The Islamic Sharee'ah, on other hand, is already a complete and holistic set of laws, applicable at all times and places. It has already answered these questions and it already specifies very strict conditions that must be met before capital punishment or Hadd punishments may be applied, including the principle that there must be no doubt that the perpetrator has committed the crime. This differs from modern secular legal systems which, as far as I'm aware, specify that it should be beyond reasonable doubt before somebody can be convicted of a crime. In Islam, there are only a few crimes for which capital punishment is applied, including theft, adultery and murder.

Besides it being what Allah (who is Al-'Adl - The Just) has ordained, there is also evidence to suggest that there are worldly benefits in applying capital punishment. For example, there is statistical evidence that capital punishment acts as an effective deterrent for criminal activity, leading to reduced crime overall in places where it is applied.

Here is a good thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/discover...ariah-law.html

For the purposes of your essay though, you will probably want to investigate ideas such as deterrence, retribution, morality and what constitues 'justice'.

cat eyes
11-04-2009, 12:28 PM
i am pro capital punishment though a lot of people are being wrongly accused just so they can carry out a death for there own pure enjoyment :hmm:

aamirsaab
11-04-2009, 12:31 PM
:sl:
Definately for it. There needs to be a ''hierarcy'' of punishments other than prison sentences in order to fit the crimes; incarcerating a murderer is all well and good: yes he's not hurting anyone any more, but he's still a threat to society.

Governments and leaders have a right to their citizens and electorates to act responsibly with said people's interests in mind; It is my right as a citizen to feel welcome in this society and not to be under threat. As such, I am entitled to minimal justice, that is safety from harm caused by others i.e theft, murder and the like.

Giving a mass-murderer a couple of decades imprisonment (which I have to fund as a tax-payer), is like me bribing criminals to keep them away from me: justice via injustice, which is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fטлку
11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Am I the only person here against it? <_<

“Murder and capital punishment are not opposites that cancel one another, but similars that breed their kind” ~George Bernard Shaw.
Some executed people were proven to be innocent too late. There’s never a guarantee that the people we are executing aren’t innocent.
Future generations will regard us as we regard the Romans i.e. as blood thirsty barbarians.
The death penalty doesn't really help families of murder victims. The family members of victims have testified that the death penalty process is agonizing for them. And it isn’t right to put the relatives of the murderer through it too. The life of the murderer can never compensate for the life of the victim.
It’s a vicious circle that will keep repeating itself. Violence just breeds more violence.
A good alternative for death penalty is available. The criminal should be put into prison for the rest of his life with no chance of parole. That’s the only humane severe punishment fit for a murderer.

cat eyes
11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
id be afraid to go to iran incase a sunni muslim man would rub off shoulders with me by mistake or something and then they'd accuse me of something or is it just the media that makes it sound like that?

rpwelton
11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
How can you honestly be against something which the Shari'ah advocates? Of course it must be carried out in accordance with Shari'ah law, but capital punishment is necessary for society.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but we should not be giving our opinions on these matters: Islam clearly has a stance on this, and as Muslims we must follow it. It is our obligation to accept the Shari'ah as part of our religion, even though we may not actually see it implemented in the proper way.

Although I would say that capital punishment as it is carried out by Western (and perhaps even non-Western) governments is lacking in many ways. But that does not mean the principle of the matter is wrong.

cat eyes
11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
i am accepting the shar'iah law its these leaders of the muslim countries im afraid of lol

Fטлку
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rpwelton
I'm sorry to be blunt, but we should not be giving our opinions on these matters: Islam clearly has a stance on this, and as Muslims we must follow it. It is our obligation to accept the Shari'ah as part of our religion
All I wanted was a little survey :hmm:
PS, I doubt you would go and write all that in a argumentative essay <_<

rpwelton
11-04-2009, 01:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
All I wanted was a little survey :hmm:
PS, I doubt you would go and write all that in a argumentative essay <_<
Yes, I understand that explaining this to a non-Muslim is different than explaining it to a Muslim. I'm not arguing against the essay itself, but rather your position that capital punishment should not be allowed in society. By taking this position, you are directly opposing the Laws of Allah. I hope you realize that.

Sampharo
11-04-2009, 02:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fטлку
I'm writing against it. As they say, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind :D
In terms of capital punishment, sister, God has said in the Holy Quran "for, in [the law of] just retribution, O you who are endowed with insight, there is life for you, so that you might remain conscious of God!" [2:179]

I know you already know it is an Islamic law, but just saying that this verse explains clearly the wisdom in it, and that there is a better life from the application of capital punishment against crimes like murder. Basically, if there isn't a deterring punishment that guarantees finality, then murder can be repeated, either by the same person, or as vengence from the opposing family. Simple case in point: Look at the rate of killing and murders in Islamic cities that do apply it, and compare it with countries that don't apply it strongly like London/New York/Los Angeles, you'll see for yourself.

As for the "eye for an eye makes the Whole world blind", practical application shows that more likely it is: "eye for an eye makes two people blind, with the whole World a whole lot safer with nobody daring to poke another person's eye out again. Also the first blind guy feels that justice and retribution was delivered." :statisfie

Food for thought.

Woodrow
11-04-2009, 02:35 PM
I did not vote as I do not know if I should check yes or know. I favor the death penalty for certain crimes, but I am very anti in the manner the death penalty is used in most countries.

Supreme
11-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I voted no. Partially because I believe everyone deserves a second chance. Partially because forgiveness needs to play a role in society, and you can't forgive someone if they're dead, can you?

That said, if I watch the news, and see a peadophile, terrorist or murderer being given 'life' (which is only around 10 years if you behave well and 'find God'), I do wish that some form of capital punishment was available. I know that's wrong of me, but some things do anger me a great deal.

Fטлку
11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the help everybody but I'm already done with the essay and I don't wanna re-write the whole thing :X

dovelove
11-04-2009, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I voted no. Partially because I believe everyone deserves a second chance. Partially because forgiveness needs to play a role in society, and you can't forgive someone if they're dead, can you?

That said, if I watch the news, and see a peadophile, terrorist or murderer being given 'life' (which is only around 10 years if you behave well and 'find God'), I do wish that some form of capital punishment was available. I know that's wrong of me, but some things do anger me a great deal.
ah true ^^

Although some ppl may hav committed a terrible crime, some people do sincerely regret these crimes and some will live with regret for the rest of their lives, so although they maybe freed from jail they may not be freed in their mind and each day is a battle of conscience beating and incredible guilt it can overwhelm and lead one to take their own lives.

I am totally against the death penatly as I know of no government free from corruption and in a position to hand out punishments by death. Only exception is in line with strictly practiced Sharia Law and I am unsure where or if this goes on.

What about the innocent ppl who are given death penalty and executed!!! It is not fair!!!!!!

What would happen to the governments if this punishment were handed out to them and they allow so many terrible war crimes?! Allah will deal with us all justly, inshAllah, make dua for all them who suffer from tyrants, oppressors and mean people.

Supreme
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
May I just add:

In Christian Europe, being executed was seen as good thing for the person being executed, because it was seen that they were paying the price for their crimes and therefore they were less likely to go to Hell, as they had aleady been punished, hence why a priest was almost always present at beheadings. Does a similar thought exist in Islam?

Amadeus85
11-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Capital punishment is a just thing for some most cruel and serial killers. It is a thing that makes sick people think twice before commiting a horrible crime.

rpwelton
11-05-2009, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
May I just add:

In Christian Europe, being executed was seen as good thing for the person being executed, because it was seen that they were paying the price for their crimes and therefore they were less likely to go to Hell, as they had aleady been punished, hence why a priest was almost always present at beheadings. Does a similar thought exist in Islam?
Yes, in Islam if a person is repentant and is then punished according to Shari'ah Law, that is a penance for that sin.

Elizabeth
11-05-2009, 10:38 PM
I am very much opposed to the idea of the death penalty...just because I feel that every life is sacred and worth a second chance..Perhaps its because I lived here in the States and we have such a bad system..Here it is used too liberally...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.