/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sister, JOBS AND HIJABS - How far would you go...

UK2Dubai
11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Dear Sisters...

How many of you work, or have applied for jobs, wearing hijab? What has been your experience at interview?

I ask because I know it's not easy, in my experience. I'm currently living near Dubai, coming from London, 6 months ago. In my previous job as PA for a London city management consultancy firm, al7amdulillah I was lucky enough to revert and then wear the hijab, a month later, in my company with no problem. However, I think the fact that I was working them for over a year pre-reversion that helped the great acceptance of the hijab.

However, I want to come back to the UK in a few years insha'Allah, with my husband, and I'm thinking about how it's going to be going to interviews wearing hijab, especially for any city job. Should I speak to someone in HR before going for interview? It's sad, but unfortunately there is a lot of judging a book by its cover. And with the job situation in the UK being pretty poor, the competition is hot.

Even here in Dubai, an Islamic country, sisters with hijab find it hard to obtain a decent position - unbelievable.

Anyway, your thoughts would be really helpful and I appreciate all your comments.

JazakAllah

Assalamu alaikum

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
11-04-2009, 07:17 PM
:sl: sis ive applied for trainee management positions with no luck:unhappy: when they saw my experience on my c.v they were delighted however when they saw me with my veil it was a whole different story.

cat eyes
11-04-2009, 07:31 PM
my friend who is currently studying about islam and not yet reverted and is married had applied at a cosmetic's company and had got the management job:'( they hired so many non muslims she said id get it if id remove my veil i said id never do that inshaAllah i will get also i trust on Allah and i think thats what keeps me patient

tresbien
11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Leave provision to ALLAH.Just be armed with piety and certainty.Think of how to spend u day in Allah obedience and how to win his reward.Say to u self what i have done to day.Did i pray on time, did i read quran.did i do dirk.duid i put smile on the lips of those around me.did i visit a patient .did i make an orphan or poor happy.did i do my job properly.in two years time will i learn Quran.
Rizk is ensured but the best one is to a be good muslimah and alhamdulliah inchllah u are.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
muslimah_81
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
:sl:
I started wearing the hijab about 3 months ago. Before I started wearing the hijab I went for an interview. Unfortunately due to personal problems I couldnt take the job at the time.
Recently a relation of the person who I had the interview with told me that the company was still looking to fill the position. I informed them that I now wore the hijab and all of a sudden the position was filled :hmm:
And this company was owned by a muslim.

tresbien
11-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Muslimah do not worry.ALLAH tests you.Bear patience .After hardship comes ease.Look those under you to realise how lucky u are millions.May ALLAH grants us halal permanant job that will distract us from worshipping him and celebrating his remembrance.THere is no power but Allah.
Concerning the owners of company, profit comes first.All think of their interest and not all are good believers.

zakirs
11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
sis ive applied for trainee management positions with no luck when they saw my experience on my c.v they were delighted however when they saw me with my veil it was a whole different story.

Even here in Dubai, an Islamic country, sisters with hijab find it hard to obtain a decent position - unbelievable.

Anyway, your thoughts would be really helpful and I appreciate all your comments.
May Allah help you sisters find a job soon :).

muslimah_81
11-04-2009, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tresbien
Muslimah do not worry.ALLAH tests you.Bear patience .After hardship comes ease.Look those under you to realise how lucky u are millions.May ALLAH grants us halal permanant job that will distract us from worshipping him and celebrating his remembrance.THere is no power but Allah.
Concerning the owners of company, profit comes first.All think of their interest and not all are good believers.
JazakhAllah for your kind words.
I believe Allah will provide for me InshaAllah as he has always done till now Alhumdulilah and yes you are right I just have to be patient :statisfie

Rabi'ya
11-04-2009, 11:10 PM
:sl: sister

Personally I do not think you will encounter too many problems. If anything people will be curious. They may ask questions but not in a bad way. Just inquisitive. I work for Social Services and they did ask me about my hijab in the interview, but it was more from a health and safety perspective. I told them I can just tuck it in my top and voila....no problemo.

Inshallah if your character is strong and you are confident in your manner, then you will most certainly succeed at your interview inshallah. Dont feel shy or timid but imagine you are no different from any others.

Oooh, hope I can ask a little question, do u wear scarf or full face covering?Either way should be no probelm inshallah

Hope that helped a little :)

Mysterious Uk
11-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I've been worryng about this quiet recently too,i never give my scarf a second thought because it is part of me.. but my dad thinks it will be a problem. If i went to interviews and stuff would they see my scarf and maybe hesitate to hire me? Guess there is no point dwelling on it really, there is nothing i can do. If we get a job- good, if not- try again.

Hamza Asadullah
11-05-2009, 12:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by UK2Dubai

Dear Sisters...

How many of you work, or have applied for jobs, wearing hijab? What has been your experience at interview?

I ask because I know it's not easy, in my experience. I'm currently living near Dubai, coming from London, 6 months ago. In my previous job as PA for a London city management consultancy firm, al7amdulillah I was lucky enough to revert and then wear the hijab, a month later, in my company with no problem. However, I think the fact that I was working them for over a year pre-reversion that helped the great acceptance of the hijab.

However, I want to come back to the UK in a few years insha'Allah, with my husband, and I'm thinking about how it's going to be going to interviews wearing hijab, especially for any city job. Should I speak to someone in HR before going for interview? It's sad, but unfortunately there is a lot of judging a book by its cover. And with the job situation in the UK being pretty poor, the competition is hot.

JazakAllah

Assalamu alaikum
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, my sister don't worry about what the world says or how it percieves you because it is not between them and you and it never was. For it is ONLY between you and Allah and your reward is with Allah!

My sister this world is but a few hours and then we will return to Allah! Rememeber that our employer is Allah for it is his will whatever job we get so have FULL hope,reliance,trust and faith in him and do things in the right way and supplicate to him sincerely and whatever is best for you will happen inshallah!

So let us hold our heads up high and be proud of who we are and our identity so that others can look and be inspired to look into Islam aswell so that Allah may open their hearts to the truth!

Here is a short poem i found from a new Muslimah who wanted to express how proud she was wearing the hijaab:

As i get ready to go into the outside world
I look in the mirror
What do i see?
My beauty
Then i slip on the hijab
why?
I cover my outer beauty
So you take a look at my inner beauty
I step into the cruel and unjust society
of this "free" country
i look at avoiding eyes and stares
i hear whispering from every side
i think to myself "i am not here to please everyone"
i am here to please Allah
then i hold my head with the hijab high
Allah has chosen this jihad for me to overcome
yes this is my jihad

UK2Dubai
11-05-2009, 06:42 PM

Thank you all for your replies, each one appreciated.

I think it's a valid reality that it is tougher for those of us that wear hijab, especially in certain sectors where we have to meet customers or clients; and employers simply want something pretty that can 'take a letter'. We have to fight our corner harder than others to convey our professionalism - as if wearing a hijab has the letter D on it for Dunce - or T for terrorist. Oh and another thing... "why are you applying for the job? (question posed by interviewer..) "because I'm a PA... and no, that doesn't stand for politically active, it means I'm a personal assistant"!!!!!)

Anyway, I will try to be optimistically realistic and simply try and try again. Insha'Allah I'm going to start looking for a job here in Dubai with some of the western companies in the new year, so we'll see what happens then and I'll keep you posted.

Answers to two comments: My father thinks the same way, thinks wearing hijab will be harder for me to get a new job. And no, I just wear hijab, not full face veil.

Al7amdulillah, the reversion process was made easy, and I know that Allah swt never burdens us with more than we can carry.

May Allah swt make it easy for us.

Assalamu alaikum

transition?
11-05-2009, 07:38 PM

what about sisters who wear jilbaab/abaya.

transition?
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Surah al Mulk

20. Who is he besides the Most Beneficent that can be an army to you to help you? The disbelievers are in nothing but delusion.

21. Who is he that can provide for you if He should withhold His provision? Nay, but they continue to be in pride, and (they) flee (from the truth).

:D

:shade:

Musaafirah
11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I wear a jilbab and hijab. I had no problems with interview first time round for my placement and coz they now know me and all, I'm back at the same place I trained in with my degree and all.
Alhamdulillah they've got facilities for prayer and enough breaks to cover the prayer times and all.
For each job interview I have had, I've got the jobs (Talking from when I had my first job, just for the experience)
Thing is, it's not a City job... Am just working for the NHS, so don't know if that's got anything to do with me being accepted and all.

cat eyes
11-05-2009, 07:53 PM
the chances of getting a job are even more slim if your wearing a burka you see they want those people who will suit the company who anybody male of female can approach in other words they want somebody plastered in make up and skirt and tights. just being nice is not enough anymore or having a masters degree you have to look the part and thats the reality then we have places like hotels and fast food buisness its all about the hygeine!

cat eyes
11-05-2009, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafirah
I wear a jilbab and hijab. I had no problems with interview first time round for my placement and coz they now know me and all, I'm back at the same place I trained in with my degree and all.
Alhamdulillah they've got facilities for prayer and enough breaks to cover the prayer times and all.
For each job interview I have had, I've got the jobs (Talking from when I had my first job, just for the experience)
Thing is, it's not a City job... Am just working for the NHS, so don't know if that's got anything to do with me being accepted and all.
yeah they need staff for NHS all the time you see

Rabi'ya
11-05-2009, 08:05 PM

sis Ar-rayyan I work as a care assistant(not even as qualified as a social worker lol) anyway, i wear jilbab out of work and when i started there they wanted me to wear the uniform which is a tunic and black trousers. I was really hesitant but we were really in need of me having a job at the time. I took the placement and within a few weeks they deicded to change the uniform colour. We all needed to order new tunics. I asked if I could order a long sleeved one(or have one made in the right colour.) they agreed straight away and the tunic i know wear is, loose, long sleeved and goes below my knees, then i wear baggy black trousers underneath. so alhamdulillah it is almost like wearing jilbab anyway, except I would never buy a jilbab in sky blue :? lol

alhamdulillah if you are sincere in your intention and make sure you pray istikhara, Allah will provide for you. Before we had the new uniforms I wore the short sleeved tunic but wore a long sleeved top underneath, It was swealtering but alhamdulillah I have been rewarded for it. Allah knows our intentions and makes things easy for us.

Just have sincere intention and pray always. Allah will make it easy for you when it is a good intention.

Donia
11-06-2009, 04:57 AM
MashAllah.
This is a great thread. I really needed to read something like this.
JazakAllah for starting it.

Brother Hamza, Salaamu alaikum. That was an excellent reply and it made perfect sense to me alhumdulillah. If I knew how to give rep points, I would give you some.

This topic has been something I have really been concerned about and reading the replies and knowing that other sisters share the same concerns has put me at ease some. Alhumdulillah.

Danah
11-06-2009, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by UK2Dubai

Unfortunately that's very true, but to be more accurate. Sisters who wear niqab are the most effected by that.

May Allah grant you and me a good job sis!

UK2Dubai
11-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Dear all

It is sad that this is something we have to worry about, and after all, it is just a scarf. I can understand concerns from employers about health and safety, but it would be no different if someone had long hair. For most, it's what the hijab represents and that fact that we choose to be different. Many employers don't want to hire someone who could 'upset the apple cart'. It's just like those who stand up for their rights or justly complain about something... they're considered 'trouble-makers'.

Digressing a little, I was working for a major pharmacy many years ago and was the object of victimisation, simply because I was good at what I did... incidents happened that were so obvious so finally I went to my HR and complained. Next thing I know I was summoned by boss and my position terminated, saying it was because my 3 months trial was up.

Point being, sometimes those of us who are courageous and stand up for what we believe in, i.e. the truth, can also be victims.

We just have to persevere, stand by our principles, and have belief and trust that Allah swt will always guide us and make things easy for us even if at the times they seem difficult.

Allah 3alim always.

mariyyah
11-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Assalamou Alaikoum Warahmatou ALLAH Taala Wabarakatou,

Sister i really feel sorry for you and i want you to know that is not something new for the middle east people by natural they are muslims but most of them they dont practise the islam especially the men they likes women to be open minded and open look they hate the hijjab women but they force their wives and sisters to put the hijjab but for others women or workers they should be non hijjab that they can enjoy their ego and themselves ALLAH give them hidayah AMEEN , I DONT WANT TO TALK SO MUCH ABOUT THEM BECAUSE ITS MAKE ME SICK

S_87
11-06-2009, 12:53 PM

i think to get a job in hijab is no problem really, abaya a little more difficult maybe but depends what kind of job and niqab-realistically a problem and i dont think sisters should apply for jobs in niqab unless they know its suitable for a job. realistically.

brotherubaid
11-07-2009, 11:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariyyah
Assalamou Alaikoum Warahmatou ALLAH Taala Wabarakatou,

Sister i really feel sorry for you and i want you to know that is not something new for the middle east people by natural they are muslims but most of them they dont practise the islam especially the men they likes women to be open minded and open look they hate the hijjab women but they force their wives and sisters to put the hijjab but for others women or workers they should be non hijjab that they can enjoy their ego and themselves ALLAH give them hidayah AMEEN , I DONT WANT TO TALK SO MUCH ABOUT THEM BECAUSE ITS MAKE ME SICK
Ameen May Allah give Hidayah to all the Muslims who have deviated from the right path.

I was born n raised in an arab n gulf country UAE , lived in al ain n Dubai , Things were not always like they are now , Things have changed , they ave changed a lot in the past few years , like past 10 years i guess.

But we have to understand that there is good and bad every where.

I am a brother who has only qualifications in Aviation Industry and for the past 1 and a half year i have been having a hard time to get the job in my field of study n qualifications so i was ofrced to do other jobs and am curretly not even working. AlhumdoLILLAH Ala Kul Haal but still its sad that if you are in a muslim conuntry n want to hold on to the sunah and do teh right thing teher will be people n situations where u will be looked at in a diffrent way as if u were in a non Muslim land.

I will tell u guys what happened last year.

I went with a friend to Gulf Air office in dubai at the airport and met with a manager there who was Kenyan Muslim.

He was actually a friend of my friend taht i went with so my friedn introduced me to him n everything n do u guys knwo what he said??

He said " With a Face Like that i will NOT EVEN ALLOW U ON MY PLANE , and u expect me to give u a job??!!!"

Now there were non muslims in that room as well , like philpinos n indian christians n hindus who All had a good laugh, It hurt , it hurt a lot but i kept smiling n told him if u dont hire me some one else will, its not a problem.

But deep inside i wanted to say soomuch to him , but we have to realise , the life that we live we are like ambassadors , we have to check our actions n speech or else people will just say Hey look how muslims are.

Its sad that some people dont even know that making Fun of the deen , Making Fun of Allah n His messeneger and their way , Making fun of the Sunnah can all get u out of Islam. Because Allah says

أَبِاللَّهِ وَآيَاتِهِ وَرَسُولِهِ كُنْتُمْ تَسْتَهْزِئُونَ لَا تَعْتَذِرُوا قَدْ كَفَرْتُمْ بَعْدَ إِيمَانِكُمْ

If you ask them (about this), they declare: "We were only talking idly and joking." Say: "Was it at Allâh and His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) and His Messenger (SAW) that you were mocking?

66. Make no excuse; you have disbelieved after you had believed.

Surah At Taubah Ayah 65, 66

So its a really serious but still we see Hijbab , Beared and men wearing short trousers being mocked at and made fun of , We had a sister in our class in college that wore niqab and peole would make fun of her and call her ninja n terrorist.

But still one should keep the faith and stay stead fast and keep trying and making efforts and Allah really does make the way.

I had friends ( quiet a lot of brothers ) who were in UAE army and air force and last year they had the rule that Army n Airforce personeel need to shave and AlhumdoLILLAH these brothers they left the jobs n quit n took heavy losses as the governemnt did punish them with taking some of their rights away , But AlhumdolILLAH they are doing great now , They all have good jobs n more time AlhumdolILLAH to seek knowledge n life is so much better for them now.

So we should all keep the faith and stay stead fast

May Allah make things easy for u sister , n everyone else who is gouing thrugh the test , keep faith n trust in Allah n stay stead fast , Have patience n seek the reward from Allah InshahAllah.

اعْلَمُوا أَنَّمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا لَعِبٌ وَلَهْوٌ وَزِينَةٌ وَتَفَاخُرٌ بَيْنَكُمْ وَتَكَاثُرٌ فِي الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَوْلَادِ كَمَثَلِ غَيْثٍ أَعْجَبَ الْكُفَّارَ نَبَاتُهُ ثُمَّ يَهِيجُ فَتَرَاهُ مُصْفَرًّا ثُمَّ يَكُونُ حُطَامًا وَفِي الْآَخِرَةِ عَذَابٌ شَدِيدٌ وَمَغْفِرَةٌ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَرِضْوَانٌ وَمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا مَتَاعُ الْغُرُورِ
Al hadid
20 Know that the life of this world is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children, as the likeness of vegetation after rain, thereof the growth is pleasing to the tiller; afterwards it dries up and you see it turning yellow; then it becomes straw. But in the Hereafter (there is) a severe torment (for the disbelievers, evil-doers), and (there is) Forgiveness from Allâh and (His) Good Pleasure (for the believers, good-doers), whereas the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment.

21.(Compete with one another) Race one with another in hastening towards Forgiveness from your Lord (Allâh), and towards Paradise, the width whereof is as the width of heaven and earth, prepared for those who believe in Allâh and His Messengers. That is the Grace of Allâh which He bestows on whom He pleases. And Allâh is the Owner of Great Bounty.

22. No calamity befalls on the earth or in yourselves but is inscribed in the Book of Decrees (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfûz), before We bring it into existence. Verily, that is easy for Allâh.

Iris
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
True thing, I'm in a middle eastern country and some of the places refuse to hire you if you wear Niqab.
I work as a doctor, and alhamdulillah my employers have no problem with my hijab, but they still give niqabis a hard time :(

Danah
11-07-2009, 07:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brotherubaid
He was actually a friend of my friend taht i went with so my friedn introduced me to him n everything n do u guys knwo what he said??

He said " With a Face Like that i will NOT EVEN ALLOW U ON MY PLANE , and u expect me to give u a job??!!!"

Now there were non muslims in that room as well , like philpinos n indian christians n hindus who All had a good laugh, It hurt , it hurt a lot but i kept smiling n told him if u dont hire me some one else will, its not a problem.

But deep inside i wanted to say soomuch to him , but we have to realise , the life that we live we are like ambassadors , we have to check our actions n speech or else people will just say Hey look how muslims are.
What kind of attitude is that? That must be really hard for you, but I guess if it was not hard then its not a test. For sure Allah is preparing something else for you brother, Allah will never let you down.

I had friends ( quiet a lot of brothers ) who were in UAE army and air force and last year they had the rule that Army n Airforce personeel need to shave and AlhumdoLILLAH these brothers they left the jobs n quit n took heavy losses as the governemnt did punish them with taking some of their rights away , But AlhumdolILLAH they are doing great now , They all have good jobs n more time AlhumdolILLAH to seek knowledge n life is so much better for them now.
Now its not on the air force only, but in many other places!

May Allah make things easy for u sister , n everyone else who is gouing thrugh the test , keep faith n trust in Allah n stay stead fast , Have patience n seek the reward from Allah InshahAllah.
Ameen, this is really very serious matter, I met a niqabi lady who has been worked in a gov institution for many years and I asked her what she will do if they asked her to take off her niqab, she simply said: "I will quit of course!" SubhanAllah! may Allah strengthen our Iman to pass the test

seekingsolace
11-20-2009, 03:08 AM
I feel your pain. I reverted to Islam one year into an eight year service commitment which I cannot get out of. Not only am I not allowed to wear hijab while on the grounds of the facility, I am also not given time or a private place to pray. My seniors are both radical fundamentalist Christians who believe that Islam is the root of all evil in the world, so there is no way they would make a religious accommodation for me.

So very quietly, I looked around to find ways to improvise. I work in a clinic where they want us to wear short sleeved scrub shirts with V necks. I started complaining about being cold, and was allowed to wear a long sleeved crew neck shirt under the scrub shirt. I also started leaving the shirt untucked which gave me a little bit more modest coverage. Being the infection control officer, I brought in surgical caps "to minimize contamination." While it doesn't cover my neck, at least my hair is covered now. I usually only get 10-15 minutes for lunch, so I started bringing a protein shake. I drink that quickly, then head to the one private bathroom for wudu. While there might be space in the bathroom to actually pray I felt that would be disrespectful. So I head back to my desk, close my eyes, and visualize myself praying correctly in detail.

It's not perfect by a long shot, and I feel guilty about it every day. But I have no choice. I have to work for this agency for almost another 7 years or risk being sued. I am a widow with a young son, and have no other way to support him especially if I'm being sued. Plus my work is truly worthwhile - I provide free healthcare to a very poor group of people in a rural area. So I pray that Allah will forgive my shortcomings and over time soften the hearts of those in authority over me.

Hamza Asadullah
11-20-2009, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekingsolace
I feel your pain. I reverted to Islam one year into an eight year service commitment which I cannot get out of. Not only am I not allowed to wear hijab while on the grounds of the facility, I am also not given time or a private place to pray. My seniors are both radical fundamentalist Christians who believe that Islam is the root of all evil in the world, so there is no way they would make a religious accommodation for me.

So very quietly, I looked around to find ways to improvise. I work in a clinic where they want us to wear short sleeved scrub shirts with V necks. I started complaining about being cold, and was allowed to wear a long sleeved crew neck shirt under the scrub shirt. I also started leaving the shirt untucked which gave me a little bit more modest coverage. Being the infection control officer, I brought in surgical caps "to minimize contamination." While it doesn't cover my neck, at least my hair is covered now. I usually only get 10-15 minutes for lunch, so I started bringing a protein shake. I drink that quickly, then head to the one private bathroom for wudu. While there might be space in the bathroom to actually pray I felt that would be disrespectful. So I head back to my desk, close my eyes, and visualize myself praying correctly in detail.

It's not perfect by a long shot, and I feel guilty about it every day. But I have no choice. I have to work for this agency for almost another 7 years or risk being sued. I am a widow with a young son, and have no other way to support him especially if I'm being sued. Plus my work is truly worthwhile - I provide free healthcare to a very poor group of people in a rural area. So I pray that Allah will forgive my shortcomings and over time soften the hearts of those in authority over me.
Asalaamu Alaikum Wr Wb, i would have thought the government would have at least introduced legislation to give rights to individuals to freely practise their religious beliefs. Seems like a very backward organisation.

Im sure you can find a way to pray somewhere sister where you can't be seen. Im sure they would throw you out of your job for wanting to freely practise your beleiefs. Is it not worth having a talk with them about you wanting to freely practise your beliefs? I think you should at least get legal advice of your rights in the workplace because it is NOT right for ANY employer to stop you from practising your beliefs that is wrong sister. You can't let them not let you pray for another 7 years just because of their hardcore beliefs. If your living in a democracy then you have the right to practise your faith and do so freely without any risk of discrimination against you.

At least you make an effort which is more than can be said for a lot of us who only pray when it is convenient for us. I know so many people who only pray when they are at home and don't even make the effort at work.

Most organisations are very liberal and HAVE to allow people to practise their religion but Muslims still neglect the prayer even though it is Allah who has given them that job and it is Allah has has given them the capability to work in the first place and it is Allah who provies sustainance but we are so unmindful.

May Allah help you and all people in your situation and help all of us to pray regardless of what we are doing and where we are. Ameen.

seekingsolace
11-21-2009, 12:46 AM
The irony is that its the government that I work for. Even in the military, hijab is subject to the individual commander's decision and must follow other strict rules (only certain colors, no patterns, must be able to wear helmets and gas masks over it, etc).

I have spoken with someone higher up, and am hoping to transfer to another facility next year that might be open to me being off on Friday afternoons. It would also be closer to my family (who are 17 hours away by car right now), and, just maybe, might offer me the luxury of an office with a door instead of a cubicle desk.

The downside is that the job would involve me working in a men's prison.

If I take it (and they really need someone to take it), then my wearing hijab at work will be non-negotiable.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.