/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Commandments

Euthyphro
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
According to Jesus (Mark 12:28ff), the two greatest commandments are to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength" and to "love your neighbour as yourself".

What are the greatest commandments according to the Qur'an and the Hadith?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
11-07-2009, 01:31 PM

YusufNoor
11-07-2009, 02:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Euthyphro
According to Jesus (Mark 12:28ff), the two greatest commandments are to "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength" and to "love your neighbour as yourself". :heated:

What are the greatest commandments according to the Qur'an and the Hadith?
actually shall we look at the entire passage:

The Greatest Commandment
28One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[f] 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[g]There is no commandment greater than these."

32"Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

it is EXACTLY what Islam is:

La Ilaha Illallah + no god is worthy of worship except Allah, The One True God

as Muhammad ibn Abdullah, Salla Allahu Alayhu wa Salaam, is the Final Messenger of Allah the ENITRE testimony of Faith is:

La Ilaha Illallah, Muhammadur Rasulullah = There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger

for Jesus Christ or Isa ibn Marriam, Alayhi Salaam, the testimony would be:

La Ilaha Illallah wa Isa Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Jesus is His Messenger

and for the other Prophets as well:

La Ilaha Illallah wa Ibrahim Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Abraham is His Messenger

La Ilaha Illallah wa Musa Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Moses is His Messenger

La Ilaha Illallah wa Nooh Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Noah is His Messenger

Islamically we say in Al Fatihah:

Iyyaka naAAbudu wa-iyyaka nastaAAeen = You Alone we worship and You Alone we seek help

and in a hadeeth:

Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, who was the servant of the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

background

you see, Christianity still retains a portion of the TRUTH even though they have lost Tawheed [The Oneness of Allah].

:wa:

Supreme
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I understand that in Islam, just like Christianity, the greatest commandment from Jesus is respected, but what about loving your neighbour? Unfortunately, many Christians fail to uphold that second commandment (myself included), I was wondering does Islam emphasize it too?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al-manar
11-07-2009, 09:46 PM
peace

Holy Quran 4:36 Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious.

Anas b. Malik that the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: one amongst you believes (truly) till one likes for his brother or for his neighbour that which he loves for himself.

A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported: I heard Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) saying: “Jibreel (Angel Gabriel) advised me persistently about (kind treatment) towards the neighbor (so much) that I thought he would confer upon him the (right) of inheritance”

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported: Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) observed: “He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silent; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbor with kindness; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest” (Sahih).

Abdullah reported: I asked the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam): Which sin is the gravest in the eye of Allaah? He (the Prophet) replied: That you associate a partner with Allaah (despite the fact) that He has created you. He (the reporter) said: I told him (the, Prophet): Verily it is indeed grave. He (the reporter) said: I asked him what the next (gravest sin) was. He (the Prophet) replied: That you kill your child out of fear that he shall join you in food. He (the reporter) said: I asked (him) what the next (gravest sin) was. He (the Prophet) observed: Then (the next gravest sin) is that you commit adultery with the wife of your neighbour.

Abu Hurayah also reported: Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: “None among you should prevent his neighbor from fixing a beam in his wall” (Sahih).

Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allaah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct.

Abu Dharr reported Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) commanded me thus: Whenever you prepare a broth, add water to it, and have in your mind the members of the household of your neighbours and then give them out of this with courtesy.

Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) observed: He who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and he who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should treat his neighbour with kindness and he who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.

Regards

glo
11-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Talking about neighbours, I heard recently that according to Islam 'neighbours' are considered to be 40 (?people, ?houses) to your right and to your left.
Is that correct? (I have no scripture to support this)

YusufNoor
11-07-2009, 10:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I understand that in Islam, just like Christianity, the greatest commandment from Jesus is respected, but what about loving your neighbour? Unfortunately, many Christians fail to uphold that second commandment (myself included), I was wondering does Islam emphasize it too?

perhaps you didn't read the entire post. you missed this near the end:

Abu Hamzah Anas bin Malik, radiyallahu 'anhu, who was the servant of the Messenger of Allah, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, reported that the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam, said:

"None of you truly believes (in Allah and in His religion) until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself"

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

however, if you break Tawheed into it's 3 parts:

Tawheed Ar Ruboobeeyah maintaining the Unity of Allah in His Lordship
Tawheed Al Asma was Sifaat maintaining the Unity of His Names and Attributes
Tawheed Al Ibaadah maintaining the Unity of His Worship

Tawheed al Ibaadah is the MOST important aspect of Tawheed, as worshiping other than The One True God, Allah, is shirk. Shirk is the unforgivable sin mentioned in the Bible. it destroys ALL of your good deeds as it is really polytheism.

defining Tawheed [from Dr. Bilal Philips Foundations of Islamic Studies Course, Module 1.1]:

"Literally Tawheed means "unification" (making something one) or "asserting oneness," and it comes fro the Arabic verb wahada which itself means to unite, unify, or consolidate. However, when the term Tawheed is used in reference to Allah, Tawheedullah, it means realizing and affirming Allah's unity in all of man's mactions which directly or indirectly relate to Him. It is the belief that Allah is One, without partner in His Dominion [Ruboobeeyah], One without similitude in His Essence and Attributes [Asma was Sifaat], and One without rival in His Divinity and in Worship [Ulooheeyah 'Ibaadah]. These three aspects form the basis for the categories into which the science of Tawheed has been traditionally divided. These three overlap and are inseparable to such a degree that whoever omits any one aspect has failed to complete the requirements of Tawheed is referred to as shirk, which literally means "sharing" but here signifies the association of partners with Allah. In Islamic terms this association is in fact idolatry.

According to these principles, Christianity is classified as polytheism...

this is why we, as Muslims place the emphasis on the FIRST part of Jesus' statement for the GREATEST Commandment:

The most important [commandment]," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.

if you fail at this, the second is in vain. that is why we constantly invite Christians to Worship Allah Alone ans without partners by saying, believing and implementing:

and completely:

La Ilaha Illallah, Muhammadur Rasulullah = There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger

won't you join us?

Insaanah
11-07-2009, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Talking about neighbours, I heard recently that according to Islam 'neighbours' are considered to be 40 (?people, ?houses) to your right and to your left.
Is that correct? (I have no scripture to support this)
Peace, Glo

In reply to your question:

One may have many neighbours and if he is expected to give a present to each, he may find that very difficult. It is, therefore, important to know who is a neighbour and who of our neighbours should be given priority. There is a Hadith which is classified as “Mursal,” reported on the authority of Al-Hassan Al-Basri. A “Mursal” Hadith is one which in its chain of reporting does not go as far back as the Prophet (peace be upon him), but ends with someone like Al-Hassan, who belonged to the generation following that of the companions of the Prophet. He was asked” “Who is a neighbour?” He answered: “Your neighbours are forty houses ahead of you and forty houses to your back, and forty houses to your right and forty houses to your left.” When we consider that all these people are our neighbours, and we note how strongly the Prophet (peace be upon him) recommends us to be kind to our neighbours, we can realize what sort of community Islam creates in every locality. This, however, is bound to raise the issue of whether there is any degree of priority which makes certain neighbours more entitled to our kindness than others.

Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her), the Prophet’s wife, asked him: “Messenger of Allah, I have two neighbours. To whom shall I direct my present?” He answered: “To the one whose door is closer to yours.” (Related by Al-Bukhari and Abu Dawood). Abu Hurairah, a companion of the Prophet, is quoted as saying: “Do not begin with your distant neighbour before the one who is closer to you. Rather, give priority to your nearer neighbour ahead of your more distant one.” (Related by Al-Bukhari in “Al-Adab Al-Mufrad”)

Kindness to neighbours is taken for granted. There must be something which tells us what is the minimum degree of kindness to neighbours. This is explained in the following Hadith in which Abdullah ibn Abbas, the Prophet’s cousin, states that he heard the Prophet (peace be upon him) saying: “A believer is not the one who eats his fill when his neighbour is hungry.” (Related by Al-Bukhari in Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, Al-Hakim and Al-Baihaqi). This is a very significant statement. It speaks of mutual care by neighbours. They must know how their neighbours live, and if they are poor, then they must send them food. Indeed, this has been a tradition of Muslim societies which has survived for centuries. The Prophet (peace be upon him) even gives us a hint of how we can share our food with our neighbours without increasing our expenses a great deal. He tells his companion, Abu Tharr: “If you cook something with gravy, increase the gravy and send some of it to your neighbours.” (Related by Muslim, Ahmad and Al-Bukhari). The Prophet (peace be upon him) is telling us here not to think too little of anything which we can give to our neighbours. Even a person who is not rich can give his neighbours some food which may not be the best they can have, but would be more than useful in a neighbourhood where poverty is common.

Sorry it's a bit waffly, but hope it answers your question.

Peace.

Al Ansari
11-07-2009, 11:05 PM
Believing, knowing, and worshipping the Creator alone. With no partner, associate, or anything other is the most important commandment. If that is not correct then nothing else matters.

Euthyphro
11-07-2009, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor
actually shall we look at the entire passage:

The Greatest Commandment
28One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'[f] 31The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'[g]There is no commandment greater than these."

32"Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.

it is EXACTLY what Islam is:

as Muhammad ibn Abdullah, Salla Allahu Alayhu wa Salaam, is the Final Messenger of Allah the ENITRE testimony of Faith is:

for Jesus Christ or Isa ibn Marriam, Alayhi Salaam, the testimony would be:

La Ilaha Illallah wa Isa Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Jesus is His Messenger

and for the other Prophets as well:

La Ilaha Illallah wa Ibrahim Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Abraham is His Messenger

La Ilaha Illallah wa Musa Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Moses is His Messenger

La Ilaha Illallah wa Nooh Rasululllah = There is no god but Allah and Noah is His Messenger

Islamically we say in Al Fatihah:

Iyyaka naAAbudu wa-iyyaka nastaAAeen = You Alone we worship and You Alone we seek help

and in a hadeeth:

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

you see, Christianity still retains a portion of the TRUTH even though they have lost Tawheed [The Oneness of Allah].

Thank you for your reply, Yusuf. I agree that Islam affirms the two great commandments that Jesus gives - but does it affirm that they are the greatest commandments? This is the question I'm asking in this thread.

As for what portion of the truth Christianity still retains, that's for another time. :p

YusufNoor
11-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Thank you for your reply, Yusuf. I agree that Islam affirms the two great commandments that Jesus gives - but does it affirm that they are the greatest commandments? This is the question I'm asking in this thread.

As for what portion of the truth Christianity still retains, that's for another time. :p
actually, YOU didn't affirm the first and greatest. you purposely omitted the very beginning of the passage. to repeat:

The Greatest Commandment

you MUST get back to the Oneness of Allah. without it, the other works are in vain. as Allah in Hadith Qudsi:

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) say:

“Allah the Almighty said:

‘O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.’”

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

and again, in the other Hadeeth:

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Islam is about belief, the Prophet, Peace be upon him, says that if you do not want for your brother what you want for yourself, you do NOT have belief. if that doesn't seem important to you, we cannot explain it any further...

Supreme
11-08-2009, 12:29 PM
perhaps you didn't read the entire post. you missed this near the end:
I did, but in Islam, brother usually means a fellow Muslims. When Jesus was challenged over who your neighbour is, however, Jesus clearly demonstrated through the Good Samaritan that your neighbour can be anyone of any religion or race.

Shirk is the unforgivable sin mentioned in the Bible. it destroys ALL of your good deeds as it is really polytheism.
Actually, the unforgivable sin mentioned in the Bible is blaspheming against the Holy Spirit:

Luke 12:8-10: "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

According to these principles, Christianity is classified as polytheism...
True.

if you fail at this, the second is in vain. that is why we constantly invite Christians to Worship Allah Alone ans without partners by saying, believing and implementing:

A similar (in fact, almost identical) doctrine exists in Christianity.
won't you join us
Thanks all the same, but I'm going to have to decline your offer.

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
actually, YOU didn't affirm the first and greatest. you purposely omitted the very beginning of the passage. to repeat:

The Greatest Commandment

you MUST get back to the Oneness of Allah. without it, the other works are in vain. as Allah in Hadith Qudsi:

On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him), who said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) say:

“Allah the Almighty said:

‘O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great as it.’”

It was related by at-Tirmidhi (also by Ahmad ibn Hanbal). Its chain of authorities is sound.

and again, in the other Hadeeth:

[Al-Bukhari & Muslim]

Islam is about belief, the Prophet, Peace be upon him, says that if you do not want for your brother what you want for yourself, you do NOT have belief. if that doesn't seem important to you, we cannot explain it any further...

It's perfectly legitimate and common to omit the first part when quoting this commandment, and to suggest that I've omitted it purposefully because I have a problem with the Oneness of God is ludicrous. See Matt 22 for an example where Jesus only quotes the second half of the commandment (the half that actually commands us to do something).

As it says in James 2, "Even the demons believe...and shudder!". Jesus' greatest commandment is not simply to believe, but to love. Unless we love our neighbour, we cannot love God - (see 1 John 4). But it is quite possible to believe in God and still be unloving (indeed, this is my greatest fault). Do you not agree?

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-manar
peace

Holy Quran 4:36 Serve Allah, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For Allah loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious.

Anas b. Malik that the Prophet (may peace and blessings be upon him) observed: one amongst you believes (truly) till one likes for his brother or for his neighbour that which he loves for himself.

A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) reported: I heard Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) saying: “Jibreel (Angel Gabriel) advised me persistently about (kind treatment) towards the neighbor (so much) that I thought he would confer upon him the (right) of inheritance”

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported: Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) observed: “He who believes in Allah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silent; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should treat his neighbor with kindness; and he who believes in Allah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest” (Sahih).

Abdullah reported: I asked the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam): Which sin is the gravest in the eye of Allaah? He (the Prophet) replied: That you associate a partner with Allaah (despite the fact) that He has created you. He (the reporter) said: I told him (the, Prophet): Verily it is indeed grave. He (the reporter) said: I asked him what the next (gravest sin) was. He (the Prophet) replied: That you kill your child out of fear that he shall join you in food. He (the reporter) said: I asked (him) what the next (gravest sin) was. He (the Prophet) observed: Then (the next gravest sin) is that you commit adultery with the wife of your neighbour.

Abu Hurayah also reported: Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: “None among you should prevent his neighbor from fixing a beam in his wall” (Sahih).

Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allaah (may peace and blessing be upon him) observed: He will not enter Paradise whose neighbour is not secure from his wrongful conduct.

Abu Dharr reported Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) commanded me thus: Whenever you prepare a broth, add water to it, and have in your mind the members of the household of your neighbours and then give them out of this with courtesy.

Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) observed: He who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should either utter good words or better keep silence; and he who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should treat his neighbour with kindness and he who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should show hospitality to his guest.

Regards
Thanks for your reply, Al-manar. As I said earlier, I agree that Islam affirms these two fundamental instructions. But what does it teach are the greatest commandments? Do you agree with Jesus that these two are the greatest? Or are there others the Qur'an and Hadith teach that are more important?

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 02:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Ansari
Believing, knowing, and worshipping the Creator alone. With no partner, associate, or anything other is the most important commandment. If that is not correct then nothing else matters.
Thanks, Al Ansari. Do you think that believing, knowing and worshipping the Creator is the same as loving Him? (I think it certainly comes very close.) Also, what do you think the Qur'an shows to be the next most important commandment?

Al-manar
11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
what does it teach are the greatest commandments? Do you agree with Jesus that these two are the greatest? Or are there others the Qur'an and Hadith teach that are more important?
In Islam the most important duty for Muslims after his confession of the believe in true monotheism,is prayer ...It is more important than any other righteous work .....

The prophet said": Islam is based on five principles:1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's apostle.
2. To offer the prayers .
3- To pay Zakat (for the poor)
4- to fast ramadan.
5- to perform pilgrimage (for those who able to).

(Narrated Bukhari)

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 02:42 PM
In Islam the most important duty for Muslims after his confession of the believe in true monotheism,is prayer ...It is more important than any other righteous work .....

The prophet said": Islam is based on five principles:1. To testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and Muhammad is Allah's apostle.
2. To offer the prayers .
3- To pay Zakat (for the poor)
4- to fast ramadan.
5- to perform pilgrimage (for those who able to).

(Narrated Bukhari)
Could you tell me where that is in Sahih al-Bukhari, Al-manar?

Asiyah3
11-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Praise be to Allaah.

Thank you for your question, which shows an interest in the Qu’ran. We are happy to answer your question here.

There are in the Qur’an certain aayaat (verses) which some scholars call the verses of the Ten Commandments, because they include ten important commandments given by Allaah to mankind. These aayaat are to be found in two passages of the Qur’an.

The first is in Soorat al-An’aam, where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say: ‘Come, I will recite what your Lord has prohibited you from: Join not anything in worship with him; be good and dutiful to your parents; kill not your children because of poverty – We provide sustenance for you and for them; come not near to al-fawaahish (shameful sins, illegal sexual intercourse, etc.), whether committed openly or secretly; and kill not anyone whom Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause (according to Islamic law). This He has commanded you that you may understand.

And come not near to the orphan’s property, except to improve it, until he (or she) attains the age of full strength; and give full measure and full weight with justice. We burden not any person, but that which he can bear. And whenever you give your word (i.e., judge between men or give evidence, etc.), say the truth even if a near relative is concerned, and fulfil the Covenant of Allaah. This He commands you, that you may remember.

And, verily, this (i.e., Allaah’s commandments mentioned in the above two verses) is my Straight Path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His Path. This He has ordained for you that you may become al-muttaqoon (the pious).” [al-An’aam 6:151-153]

The second passage occurs in Soorat al-Israa’, and may be considered as a commentary on the passage quoted above. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one or them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them, but address them in terms of honour.

And lower unto them the wing of submission and humility through mercy, and say: ‘My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was small.’

Your Lord knows best what is in your inner-selves. If you are righteous, then, verily, He is ever Most-Forgiving to those who turn unto Him again and again in obedience, and in repentance.

And give to the kindred his due and to the poor and to the wayfarer. But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift.

Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the shayaateen (devils), and the Shaytaan (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord.

And if you turn away from them (kindred, poor, wayfarers, etc. whom We have ordered you to give their rights, but if you have no money at the time they ask you for it) and you are awaiting a mercy from your Lord for which you hope, then, speak unto them a soft kind word (i.e., Allaah will give to me and I will give to you).

And let not your hand be tied (like a miser) to your neck, not stretch it forth to its utmost reach (like a spendthrift), so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.

Truly, your Lord enlarges the provision for whom He wills and straitens (for whom He wills). Verily, He is Ever All-Knower, All-Seer of His slaves.

And kill not your children for fear of poverty. We provide for them and for you. Surely the killing of them is a great sin.

And come not near to unlawful sexual intercourse. Verily, it is a faahishah [i.e., anything that transgresses its limits (a great sin)], and an evil way (that leads one to Hell unless Allaah forgives him).

And do not kill anyone which Allaah has forbidden, except for a just cause. And whoever is killed (intentionally with hostility and aggression and not by mistake), We have given his heir the authority [to demand qisaas – Law of Equality in punishment – or to forgive, or to take Diya (blood money)]. But let him not exceed limits in the matter of taking life (i.e., he should not kill except the killer only). Verily, he is helped (by the Islamic law).

And come not near to the orphan’s property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfil (every) covenant. Verily! The covenant will be questioned about.

And give full measure when you measure, and weigh with a balance that is straight. That is good (advantageous) and better in the end.

And follow not (O man, i.e., say not, or do not or witness not, etc.) that of which you have no knowledge. Verily! The hearing, and the sight, and the heart, of each of those you will be questioned by Allaah.

And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like that of the mountains in height.

All the bad aspects of these (the above mentioned things) are hateful to your Lord.

This is part of al-hikmah (wisdom, good manners and high character, etc.) which your Lord has inspired to you (O Muhammad). And set not up with Allaah any other ilaah (god) lest you should be thrown into Hell, blameworthy and rejected (from Allaah’s mercy).” [al-Israa’ 17:23-39]

Perhaps after enjoying reading these verses, you will have a better idea of the Qur’aan than before, and this will be the beginning of a fundamental change in your life, the start of your way to Islam. May Allaah guide and help you always. Peace be upon those who follow true guidance..

Source: http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/2273/ten%20commandment

anatolian
11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks, Al Ansari. Do you think that believing, knowing and worshipping the Creator is the same as loving Him? (I think it certainly comes very close.) Also, what do you think the Qur'an shows to be the next most important commandment?
One of the most widely known hadiths states that: "He who sleeps satiated when his neighbor is hungry is not one of us."

The Prophet does not give a number for it but He surely sees the neighborhood as a basic tenet of being a muslim.

Danah
11-08-2009, 08:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I did, but in Islam, brother usually means a fellow Muslims. When Jesus was challenged over who your neighbour is, however, Jesus clearly demonstrated through the Good Samaritan that your neighbour can be anyone of any religion or race.
The prophet peace be upon him showed a great example of how to treat his non-Muslim "Jewish" neighbor

The Prophet Muhammad, may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him, had a Jewish neighbor who used to irritate him by urinating and evacuating his bowls in front of the Prophet's house. One day the prophet didn't find the usual stuff beside his house, so he went to the Jewish home to see whats wrong. He found him ill so he wished him speedy recovery. He was so moved and at the same time ashamed of his actions and impressed bu that visit which leaded him to embrace Islam

Al-manar
11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Could you tell me where that is in Sahih al-Bukhari, Al-manar?

The Book of Faith
Hadeeth No. 7 - Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

http://www.sahihalbukhari.com/sps/sbk/

regards

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 11:05 PM
The Book of Faith
Hadeeth No. 7 - Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

http://www.sahihalbukhari.com/sps/sbk/

regards
Thanks, Al-manar. I found the site you gave to be a bit difficult to use (seems to require login to be able to read longer sections) so I had a look at the verse you quoted on www.guidedways.com. I was reading "Belief" (Book 2 of Bukhari), finding it very interesting, but happened to stumble across this:

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle was asked, "What is the best deed?" He replied, "To believe in Allah and His Apostle (Muhammad). The questioner then asked, "What is the next (in goodness)? He replied, "To participate in Jihad (religious fighting) in Allah's Cause." The questioner again asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To perform Hajj (Pilgrim age to Mecca) 'Mubrur, (which is accepted by Allah and is performed with the intention of seeking Allah's pleasure only and not to show off and without committing a sin and in accordance with the traditions of the Prophet)."
http://www.guidedways.com/book_displ...-number-16.htm

This Hadith seems to suggest that participating in Jihad (which the website understands to mean "religious fighting") is the second best deed after believing in Allah and Mohammed. What do you think about this?

Euthyphro
11-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Forgot to give the reference for that Hadith: Bukhari, Book 2 (Belief), Verse 25.

Does this Hadith suggest that participating in Jihad is a better deed than loving one's neighbour?

Al-manar
11-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Peace

This Hadith seems to suggest that participating in Jihad (which the website understands to mean "religious fighting") is the second best deed after believing in Allah and Mohammed. ?
read also :

(The Book of the Prayer Times)

No. 506 - Narrated 'Abdullah:
I asked the Prophet "Which deed is the dearest to Allah?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at their early stated fixed times." I asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents" I again asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, 'To participate in Jihad (religious fighting) in Allah's cause." 'Abdullah added, "I asked only that much and if I had asked more, the Prophet would have told me more."

and

Volume 1, Book 2, Number 10:
Narrated Abu Musa:
Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? " He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands."

and

Volume 3, Book 46, Number 694:

Narrated Abu Dhar:

I asked the Prophet, "What is the best deed?" He replied, "To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause." I then asked, "What is the best kind of manumission (of slaves)?" He replied, "The manumission of the most expensive slave and the most beloved by his master." I said, "If I cannot afford to do that?" He said, "Help the weak or do good for a person who cannot work for himself." I said, "If I cannot do that?" He said, "Refrain from harming others for this will be regarded as a charitable deed for your own good."

different answers to the same question,why?

cause different situations and differents persons who asked...

It seems the prophet knew well what kind of personality was the questioner and what advise he should listen to and what kind of work the questioner should be in his priority.....

reading all such advices ,still I think the one that is general and should be followed by all persons is the prophet's words regarding the pillars of Islam...

Regards

Al-manar
11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
peace

Does this Hadith suggest that participating in Jihad is a better deed than loving one's neighbour?
In light of that Hadith and the others as well I don't think loving one's neighbour
is a second or as important as prayer etc..

Regards

Euthyphro
11-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Peace
read also :

(The Book of the Prayer Times)

No. 506 - Narrated 'Abdullah:
I asked the Prophet "Which deed is the dearest to Allah?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at their early stated fixed times." I asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents" I again asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, 'To participate in Jihad (religious fighting) in Allah's cause." 'Abdullah added, "I asked only that much and if I had asked more, the Prophet would have told me more."

and

Volume 1, Book 2, Number 10:
Narrated Abu Musa:
Some people asked Allah's Apostle, "Whose Islam is the best? " He replied, "One who avoids harming the Muslims with his tongue and hands."

and

Volume 3, Book 46, Number 694:

Narrated Abu Dhar:

I asked the Prophet, "What is the best deed?" He replied, "To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause." I then asked, "What is the best kind of manumission (of slaves)?" He replied, "The manumission of the most expensive slave and the most beloved by his master." I said, "If I cannot afford to do that?" He said, "Help the weak or do good for a person who cannot work for himself." I said, "If I cannot do that?" He said, "Refrain from harming others for this will be regarded as a charitable deed for your own good."

different answers to the same question,why?

cause different situations and differents persons who asked...

It seems the prophet knew well what kind of personality was the questioner and what advise he should listen to and what kind of work the questioner should be in his priority.....

reading all such advices ,still I think the one that is general and should be followed by all persons is the prophet's words regarding the pillars of Islam...

Regards
Thanks, Al-manar. So the "best deeds" varies from person to person? I would have thought that the best deeds were the ones everyone should do, that form the foundation for all other deeds (like loving God and loving others).

Also, it seems that Jihad/"fighting for the cause" comes up high on the list no matter who the Prophet was talking to, but loving others hasn't come up. Do you think this would be the same today if Mohammed were around to ask what the best deeds were for us?

Al-manar
11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Peace Euthyphro

Thanks, Al-manar. So the "best deeds" varies from person to person?

I think so... depending on what kind of person is and what situation is.

Also, it seems that Jihad/"fighting for the cause" comes up high on the list no matter who the Prophet was talking to.
Yes Jihad for defending the faith,and self defence is high on the list

4:75 And why should ye not fight in the cause of Allah and of those who, being weak, are ill-treated (and oppressed)?- Men, women, and children, whose cry is: "Our Lord! Rescue us from this town, whose people are oppressors; and raise for us from thee one who will protect; and raise for us from thee one who will help!"

"How could we refuse to fight in the cause of Allah, seeing that we were turned out of our homes and our families?
[2:246]

2:190 Fight in the cause of Allah those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for Allah loveth not transgressors.

60:8 Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just.

Do you think this would be the same today if Mohammed were around to ask what the best deeds were for us?[/QUOTE]

but loving others hasn't come up.
I think i wouldn't one day advice someone saying ,love others.... but I would say ,be just to others ..love is an emotion which may result after justice...

Do you think this would be the same today if Mohammed were around to ask what the best deeds were for us?
I think if Mohammad is living,watching such aggression against Muslims eg,Iraq ,If to be asked reagrding the best deed by someone ,he would answer the same answer he gave to Abu Dhar: "To believe in Allah and to fight for His Cause.

Regards

Uthman
11-11-2009, 01:42 PM
So the "best deeds" varies from person to person?
Just to add; there is another opinion that the "best deeds" vary according to time and place.

Al-manar
11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Just to add; there is another opinion that the "best deeds" vary according to time and place.

peace

Exactly.... and that is what I meant by (situation )

peace

YusufNoor
11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Al-manar. So the "best deeds" varies from person to person? I would have thought that the best deeds were the ones everyone should do, that form the foundation for all other deeds (like loving God and loving others).

Also, it seems that Jihad/"fighting for the cause" comes up high on the list no matter who the Prophet was talking to, but loving others hasn't come up. Do you think this would be the same today if Mohammed were around to ask what the best deeds were for us?
:sl:

there seems to be a little misunderstanding here. let's see if we can, In Sha'a Allah, clear it up.

back to the original WHOLE quote by Isa ibn Marriam, May Allah's Peace ans Blessings be upon both of them:

The Greatest Commandment

as previously stated, the Islamic form of worship, which complies with the statement of Isa or Jesus the Christ is contained in the statement of faith:

La Illaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah

thisKalimatu Shahadah is a statement of action supported by the 5 pillars of Islam, which are:

1) Iman, or the belief in the Oneness of Allah, His angels, His Revealed Books, His Messengers & Prophets, The Day of Judgment Yawmul Qiyama] and Qadr [the belief that destiny, whether good or bad comes from Allah]

2) Salaah - the 5 times daily prayers

3) Zakaat - paying 2.5% of wealth if obligated [and inclusive of Sadaqah, voluntary giving]

4) Saum - Fasting in the month of Ramadhan [and other voluntary fasts]

5) Hajj - the Pilgrimage to Makkah once in a life

ALL of those parts are included in La Illaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah!

Zakaat, if obligated and Sadaqah [even a smile is Sadaqah]are part and parcel of being a Muslim. no additional Hadeeth is necessary and any that are, already include this before the Hadeeth.

we seen in the Qur'an:

Sahih International 18:30
: Indeed, those who have believed and done righteous deeds - indeed, We will not allow to be lost the reward of any who did well in deeds.

Sahih International 18:31
: Those will have gardens of perpetual residence; beneath them rivers will flow. They will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and will wear green garments of fine silk and brocade, reclining therein on adorned couches. Excellent is the reward, and good is the resting place.

now, if we look at Christianity, we see that some of the latter books, especially the Pastoral letters [agreed by many NOT to have been written by Paul] include verse like this:

1 Timothy 2:8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

here we see that the "Greatest Commandments" for the woman are:

1) be silent and
2) have babies

you see, the later and later that books are written,the farther they get from the true teachings of Jesus.

Euthyphro
11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
as previously stated, the Islamic form of worship, which complies with the statement of Isa or Jesus the Christ is contained in the statement of faith:

La Illaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah

thisKalimatu Shahadah is a statement of action supported by the 5 pillars of Islam, which are:

1) Iman, or the belief in the Oneness of Allah, His angels, His Revealed Books, His Messengers & Prophets, The Day of Judgment Yawmul Qiyama] and Qadr [the belief that destiny, whether good or bad comes from Allah]

2) Salaah - the 5 times daily prayers

3) Zakaat - paying 2.5% of wealth if obligated [and inclusive of Sadaqah, voluntary giving]

4) Saum - Fasting in the month of Ramadhan [and other voluntary fasts]

5) Hajj - the Pilgrimage to Makkah once in a life

ALL of those parts are included in La Illaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah!

Zakaat, if obligated and Sadaqah [even a smile is Sadaqah]are part and parcel of being a Muslim. no additional Hadeeth is necessary and any that are, already include this before the Hadeeth.

we seen in the Qur'an:

Sahih International 18:30
: Indeed, those who have believed and done righteous deeds - indeed, We will not allow to be lost the reward of any who did well in deeds.

Sahih International 18:31
: Those will have gardens of perpetual residence; beneath them rivers will flow. They will be adorned therein with bracelets of gold and will wear green garments of fine silk and brocade, reclining therein on adorned couches. Excellent is the reward, and good is the resting place.
Thanks, Yusuf. I didn't quite follow why you added those last two quotes: what do they show?

How do you see the "best deeds" Hadith fitting in to this overall framework? How are they best interpreted?

now, if we look at Christianity, we see that some of the latter books, especially the Pastoral letters [agreed by many NOT to have been written by Paul] include verse like this:

1 Timothy 2:8 I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; 9 in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, 10 but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works. 11 Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. 12 And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 Nevertheless she will be saved in childbearing if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

here we see that the "Greatest Commandments" for the woman are:

1) be silent and
2) have babies

you see, the later and later that books are written,the farther they get from the true teachings of Jesus.
For me, this passage (when exegeted correctly, of course!) is actually a perfect example of how Paul's teaching lines up with Jesus'! Here is how NT scholar N.T. Wright translates this passage:

"So this is what I want: the men should pray in every place, lifting up holy hands, with no anger or disputing. 9In the same way the women, too, should clothe themselves in an appropriate manner, modestly and sensibly. They should not go in for elaborate hair-styles, or gold, or pearls, or expensive clothes; 10instead, as is appropriate for women who profess to be godly, they should adorn themselves with good works. 11They must be allowed to study undisturbed, in full submission to God. 12I’m not saying that women should teach men, or try to dictate to them; they should be left undisturbed. 13Adam was created first, you see, and then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived, and fell into trespass. 15She will, however, be kept safe through the process of childbirth, if she continues in faith, love and holiness with prudence."

http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_W...ice_Church.htm - I recommend you read Wright's justification for this translation by following the link. But to summarise his points, Paul (or whoever wrote 1 Tim) is instructing both the men and women not to conform to the stereotypes of the day: the men are not to by angry, but holy; the women are not to adorn themselves with fancy clothes, but with modesty and good works. Instead of ruling over men (as they did before) they should allow the men to study the Scriptures. Women should not be deceived into not following these instructions, but live in faith, love and holiness. Paul's all about instructing this community of new believers to go against the culture and become a loving community where men and women have equal opportunities to submit to God and love their neighbours.

Muslim Woman
11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Salaam/Peace

...What are the greatest commandments according to the Qur'an and the Hadith?

The most important commandment is not to take deity besides God. I read long ago that second most important matter is not to kill any innocent and third one is not to misbehave with parents.

a related link:

Major Sins in Islam

1. Associating partners with Allah (Shirk)

2. Committing murder (25:68)

3. Performing Sorcery (2:102)

4. Not performing the Prayers (19:59)

5. Withholding the Zakah (3:180)

6. Breaking the fast of Ramadan or not fasting in that month without a valid excuse.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Islam is built upon five pillars: testifying that there is no true god except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing the prayers, paying the Zakah, making the pilgrimage to the house (Hajj), and fasting the month of Ramadan.” (Sahih al-Jami # 2837)

7. Not performing the pilgrimage when one has the ability to do so.

8. Disobeying one’s parents (17:23)

9. Severing ties of kinship. (47:22)

10. Committing adultery or fornication (17:30)

11. Committing sodomy

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah will not look at a person (with pleasure) who commits sodomy with a man or a woman.” (Sahih al-Jami # 7678)

12. Taking or paying interest (2:275)

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543812

YusufNoor
11-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks, Yusuf. I didn't quite follow why you added those last two quotes: what do they show?

they are from the Qur'an. they show that "belief" requires actions, good deeds.

How do you see the "best deeds" Hadith fitting in to this overall framework? How are they best interpreted?
here is more Quran, from Al Baqarah:

2:1 Muhsin Khan : Alif-Lam-Mim.

2:2 Muhsin Khan :This is the Book (the Quran), whereof there is no doubt, a guidance to those who are Al-Muttaqun [the pious and righteous persons who fear Allah much (abstain from all kinds of sins and evil deeds which He has forbidden) and love Allah much (perform all kinds of good deeds which He has ordained)].

2:3 Muhsin Khan : Who believe in the Ghaib and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat), and spend out of what we have provided for them [i.e. give Zakat , spend on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc., and also give charity to the poor and also in Allah's Cause - Jihad, etc.].

2:4 Muhsin Khan : And who believe in (the Quran and the Sunnah) which has been sent down (revealed) to you (Muhammad Peace be upon him ) and in [the Taurat (Torah) and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.] which were sent down before you and they believe with certainty in the Hereafter. (Resurrection, recompense of their good and bad deeds, Paradise and Hell, etc.).

2:5 Muhsin Khan : They are on (true) guidance from their Lord, and they are the success

the Muhsin Khan translation adds Tafseer and Hadeeth, we see the "good deeds" interpreted as: fearing Allah -Who believe in the Ghaib [the unseen]; performing Salat; spend[ing] out of what we have provided for them - giving Zakat , spend[ing] on themselves, their parents, their children, their wives, etc., and also giv[ing] charity to the poor and also in Allah's Cause - Jihad.

the "spending of wealth" is also addresses elsewhere in the Quran:

[2.177] It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West, but righteousness is this that one should believe in Allah and the last day and the angels and the Book and the prophets, and give away wealth out of love for Him to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and the beggars and for (the emancipation of) the captives, and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate; and the performers of their promise when they make a promise, and the patient in distress and affliction and in time of conflicts-- these are they who are {rue (to themselves) and these are they who guard (against evil).
[2.215] They ask you as to what they should spend. Say: Whatever wealth you spend, it is for the parents and the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer, and whatever good you do, Allah surely knows it.
[3.186] You shall certainly be tried respecting your wealth and your souls, and you shall certainly hear from those who have been given the Book before you and from those who are polytheists much annoying talk; and if you are patient and guard (against evil), surely this is one of the affairs (which should be) determined upon.
[18.46] Wealth and children are an adornment of the life of this world; and the ever-abiding, the good works, are better with your Lord in reward and better in expectation.
[34.37] And not your wealth nor your children, are the things which bring you near Us in station, but whoever believes and does good, these it is for whom is a double reward for what they do, and they shall be secure in the highest places.
[49.15] The believers are only those who believe in Allah and His Apostle then they doubt not and struggle hard with their wealth and their lives in the way of Allah; they are the truthful ones.
[63.9] O you who believe! let not your wealth, or your children, divert you from the remembrance of Allah; and whoever does that, these are the losers.
[92.18] Who gives away his wealth, purifying himself
does this add some clarity?

Supreme
11-12-2009, 04:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/Peace

The most important commandment is not to take deity besides God. I read long ago that second most important matter is not to kill any innocent and third one is not to misbehave with parents.

a related link:

Major Sins in Islam

1. Associating partners with Allah (Shirk)

2. Committing murder (25:68)

3. Performing Sorcery (2:102)

4. Not performing the Prayers (19:59)

5. Withholding the Zakah (3:180)

6. Breaking the fast of Ramadan or not fasting in that month without a valid excuse.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Islam is built upon five pillars: testifying that there is no true god except Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, performing the prayers, paying the Zakah, making the pilgrimage to the house (Hajj), and fasting the month of Ramadan.” (Sahih al-Jami # 2837)

7. Not performing the pilgrimage when one has the ability to do so.

8. Disobeying one’s parents (17:23)

9. Severing ties of kinship. (47:22)

10. Committing adultery or fornication (17:30)

11. Committing sodomy

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Allah will not look at a person (with pleasure) who commits sodomy with a man or a woman.” (Sahih al-Jami # 7678)

12. Taking or paying interest (2:275)

Allah Almighty knows best.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503543812

Thanks for this reply! This is the sort of answer I've been looking for.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.