/* */

PDA

View Full Version : how do u utilise ur time?

Caller الداعي
11-07-2009, 06:57 PM
:sl:

i think it would be a good idea to start a thread of about how we utilise our time daily and everyone can mention their routine, how much time they use up on different activities and how to help others benefit from their free time!

Importance of Time
The Qur’an and the Sunnah make it clear that time is very valuable. Almighty Allah says: “By the time! Verily man is in loss.” (Al-`Asr:1-2)

"Take benefit of five before five:

your youth before your old age,

your health before your sickness,

your wealth before your poverty,

your free-time before your preoccupation,

and your life before your death
."[Hadith- al-Haakim, al-Bayhaqee, Saheeh]

The importance of time!

MANY people forget or neglect the importance of time although man's life on earth is a span of time. Islam gives due attention to the issue of time because if people waste their time, they are actually wasting their life.

The Holy Qur'an gives due attention to the idea of time and this is clear in many verses of the Qur'an when Allah swears using the different places of times of the day to reveal the importance of time, "By the break of Day," (Qur'an, 1:89) "By (the Token of) Time (through the ages),' (Qur'an, 1:103) .etc.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) says in one Hadith: "There are two things that people are not aware of how important they are: health and time." This Hadith stresses two facts: People are not aware of the importance of being in good health till they fall ill and people are not aware of the importance of time and therefore waste their time doing trivial things.

There was research published in one of the magazines about how man spends his time. The research revealed that if man lives for 60 years, he spends one third of his life sleeping because man usually sleeps eight hours a day. Remaining years are spent in public transportation, watching TV, eating, in the bathroom.etc. This means that the larger part of man's life is spent in worldly matters. If a person

Karen Armstrong, refers to this aspect of time in Prophet Muhammad's (peace be upon him) life. She indicated that what the Prophet (peace be upon him) did in 23 years was miraculous and what he accomplished required thousands of philosophers, reformers, intellectuals and mentors to do in hundreds of years.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who has failed a grade.
To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who has given birth to a pre-mature baby.
To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask an editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of ONE DAY, ask a daily wage labourer who has kids to feed.
To realize the value of ONE HOUR, ask the bride who is waiting to meet her groom
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a person who has missed the train.
To realize the value of ONE SECOND, ask a person who has avoided an accident.
To realize the value of ONE MILLI-SECOND, ask the person who has won a silver medal in the Olympics.

The Characteristics of Time

We are to bear in mind that time has certain characteristics, among of which are the following:

1. Time passes quickly.

2. Time that passes can never return, nor can it be compensated for, for time is irretrievable.

3. Time is the most precious thing that man possesses.

The following are some of the most important duties demanded of Muslims:

1. Ensuring benefitting from time

2. Utilizing leisure time

3. Racing for good deeds

4. Learning from the passage of time

5. Seeking the superior times

6. Planning and organizing time

7. Fulfillment of time commitments

8. Necessary awareness of time wasters

One of the methods of managing his time properly is for a Muslim to get up early and sleep early, for early hours always yield great blessings. Starting his day with prayer and the supplication of the morning brings the Muslim Allah's grace. A Muslim should always bear in mind that every time has its own task that suits it. Doing tasks in their due times brings about peace of mind and comfort. The most important aspect being gaining such knowledge of Islam that will enable and empower one to do such actions at a given time that pleases Allah abundantly! A Muslim is disciplined and uses every second constructively and productively!

Mu`adh ibn Jabal quotes the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, as saying: “A servant of Allah will remain standing on the Day of Resurrection until he is asked about four things: his life and how he spent it, his youth and how he used it up, his property and how he acquired and managed it and his knowledge and how he utilized it.” [HADITH]

May Allah guide us to use our time correctly and beneficially!!!...Ameen

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Caller الداعي
11-08-2009, 12:49 PM
ok lets start :

i find timing myself when reading a book helps me stay concentrated in what im reading and take more out of my time

Danah
11-08-2009, 01:12 PM
MashaAllah very informative post, jazakAllah khair for sharing.

The most thing frustrating me is when I ask someone doing silly thing "what are you doing now?" then the answer be like "nothing rly! I am bored and trying to waste/pass time "!!! SubhanAllah some people look for the second and some others invent ways to how wasting their time!!

Caller الداعي
11-08-2009, 01:14 PM
wa eyaki !!

and some others invent ways to how wasting their time!!
lol kind ov sums up 21century entertainment!!!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
aadil77
11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I should be studying or working right now, I don't know how I manage to come on here all the time

Caller الداعي
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM
taking a nap helps u to concentrate more and keeps laziness away!!!

Caller الداعي
11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
keeping a diary of daily activites helps in knowing where time is being wasted and where it needs to be spent more!!

Mujahideen92
11-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Mashaallah, thanks for the informative post brother.

I dont waste alot of time, but on weekends i do. Its because during the week i work so hard and i tire myself out and i look forward to the weekend sooo much lol

Danah
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by caller
keeping a diary of daily activites helps in knowing where time is being wasted and where it needs to be spent more!!
Exactly!!
This is what I do usually when I have a lot of things in mind, it helps organize time and tasks as well. Checking your daily tasks at the end of the day helps you to improve your time managment skills

Khaldun
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Its true some youth actually say lets kill some time!

Hassan al-Basri said O son of Adam you are but days! Everytime a day passes a bit of you passes away.

So in truth these people are committing suicide lol

The salaf used to say By Allah we came by a group of people [i.e the companions etc] that where more stingy with regards to their time then you people are with regards to your money!

A teacher of mine once said, How I wish I could buy time off these time wasters!

Caller الداعي
11-09-2009, 11:49 AM
another important point is to prioritise the tasks in ur schedule so difficult subjects should be spread out and not cramped together maybe by dividing them with relaxing tasks in bewtween !!
oh and my teacher used to say when the brains most attentive in the day like early morning do tasks that r the most difficult and use up more grey matter lol

zircon
11-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Salam,
very nice post! i am thinking about organizing my time too since holiday is drawing nearer and i don't want precious days to go away just like that as it always did:exhausted

I dont waste alot of time, but on weekends i do. Its because during the week i work so hard and i tire myself out and i look forward to the weekend sooo much lol
i am beaten off by weekends too sometimes. But my lecturer once told us that she loves weekends and they are very precious to her because she could do sooo many things she had planned earlier. I think weekends are gifts of extra time and we should try to take the most out of them inshaAllah.

May Allah guide and make things easy for all of us. Ameen.

Caller الداعي
11-09-2009, 03:15 PM
ameen!!!!!...............

Raudha
11-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Excellent thread brother! May Allah reward you.

I used to waste A LOT of time before but recently I started drawing up a schedule. It makes it much easier to prioritise tasks and decreases the risk of forgetting to do things. It also gives me a sense of fulifillment when I manage to complete my tasks/ study all the allocated subjects for the day. It also helps me to remain focused - unlike before when I would spend most of my time moaning about the volume of work a had to study rather than making an effort to study anything.
There are times when I feel lazy to study a certain subject because of its difficulty or large volume, but I have learnt to simply move on and study something else in the mean time rather than procrastinating and telling myself: "I need to study".

Time wasting is a terrible thing. It is detrimental to your spiritual, physical, mental, social and emotional well-being.

I agree totally with what sis Danah said tha checking you tasks at the end of the day helps to improve your time management skills.

rpwelton
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahideen92
Mashaallah, thanks for the informative post brother.

I feel the same way. I would love to get into the rhythm of the early Muslims, before colonization, where they would work 7 days a week, but instead of 8 hours a day it would be something like 5 or 6, and it would all be early in the day. I mean, after lunch time productivity really drops off anyways.

Eliphaz
11-10-2009, 12:41 AM
I spend too much sleeping nowadays. The university lifestyle is hard to let go!

Caller الداعي
11-11-2009, 11:55 PM

« إضاعةُ الوقتِ أشدُّ من الموت ؛ لأنّ إضاعةَ الوقت تقطعُكَ عن اللَّهِ والدَّارِ الآخرة ،والموت يقطعُكَ عن الدُّنيا وأهلِها ».
قاله الإمام ابن قيم الجوزية « الفوائد / ص 44 »

Ibn Qayim r.h said:
wasting time is worse than death! because wasting time cuts you off from Allah and the Akhirah and death cuts you off from the Dunya and its dwellers!!

Utilizing Time

We are wasting our time mostly by doing unimportant things or insignificant things. We have to utilize the time for doing meaningful things and those things which are beneficiary for you and others. All the time -that is not utilized properly is termed as waste and that time which has been lost can’t be recouped, So try to utilize it by minimizing waste. The most surprising factor is- most people are not even considered about Time. They don’t think time is to be be utilized. If you can’t understand the value of time, then how can you think time can be wasted?

If you ask most people what they did in a day? They will say. It was so boring and time was not going, so to kill the time I slept lot, watch TV, made lot of phone calls which was flourished with backbiting, after that, watching people who where walking through streets and made comments about them and then did something which i don’t remember. Yes they where very right. They Killed their time and didn’t know it was as precious like diamond. There is a chineese proverb- An inch of time is an inch of gold. But an inch of gold can’t buy an inch of time. They wasted that precious time neither for having any benefits for their own nor for another. Only those people who can say- I have utilized time meaningfully, alone are qualified for joining the elite group of “utilizing time”.

You can’t give a definition to “utilizing” because it is always connected with a person who is doing it. It is the perception in which you are looking your life, so it differs as per perception. But one thing is sure, if you have an aim in life then trying to fulfilling it is a way of utilizing time. Normally those persons who don’t have an aim are entangled in wasting time. Therefore have an aim then you can utilize your time meaningfully.

Value Your TimeIf you demonstrate by your words, actions and commitments that your time is important to you, others will recognize how you value your time and will show more respect of it. On the other hand, if you don't value your time, don't expect anyone else to. By valuing your time, you are in essence valuing your self. One important thing to remember is that the only way others will respect your time is if YOU respect your time.

Rasema2
12-24-2009, 01:46 PM
I enjoy reading Muhammad Abdul Wahabb's books. But everything is so time consuming and the time is just flying by. There is no time to do anything, except sitting behind a computer:heated:

Muslimah4Eva x
12-25-2009, 02:27 PM
Jazakhumullah Kayr for sharing :) :D

May Allah bless you in abundance, ameen

Caller الداعي
12-25-2009, 02:34 PM
BECOME FULLY FOCUSED IN THE MOMENT

By focusing on what you are doing you permit yourself to get absorbed in the activity, be more relaxed and increase your creativity. Fact is, when you allow yourself to become totally focused on what you are doing at the moment, a freer flowing momentum occurs and you actually get the job done faster and easier. Be deliberate in how you use your time. Make the present perfect rather than splitting your attention.

Caller الداعي
12-25-2009, 02:34 PM
ameen wa eyakum!!!!

cat eyes
12-25-2009, 02:43 PM
i want to use my time wisely but i just don't know how to do it:( Alhamdulilah ive started to recite holy Qur'an everday in the evening after isha but what other things could i be doing there is not much classes available around where im living 2 like there so many things i want to study... i feel like its not my fault either :hmm: i just love to start a tafsir course or something but theres no courses available. the only courses im doing is arabic which i am very blessed even to have that available Alhamdulilah

Caller الداعي
12-25-2009, 03:02 PM
maybe u could try studying online ?
may Allah make it easy for u !!

Caller الداعي
12-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Imam Al-Hasan Al-Basri says: “At the beginning of every day a herald calls: ‘O son of Adam! I am a new creation and a witness of your deeds. So take a provision from me because when I pass, for I never come beck till the Day of Resurrection.’”

Muhammad
12-25-2009, 03:11 PM

For this weekend (Fri-Sun), you can use your time by tuning in live to a winter conference ('In the footsteps of the scholars'):

www.greenlanemasjid.org/tv
www.greenlanemasjid.org/radio

cat eyes
12-25-2009, 03:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by caller
maybe u could try studying online ?
may Allah make it easy for u !!
studying online is not so easy my friend is doing it the thing is she will try anything but i am totally different i cannot stare at the computer to long i have to take breaks and i rather sit in a class room all day and learn from a scholar also i am very insecure when learning anything on internet thats why i hesitate maybe its shaytan maybe thats why i come to LI all the time :hmm: i am a fast learner i can pick up things very fast and if i learn something i always share it with others if only there was something available for me. apparently i heard theres loads of things in u.k for reverts mashaAllah :(

Misz_Muslimah
12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Jazaakalahu khayran for sharing ..:)
May allah bless you for posting ..
:wa:

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Aslaamu alaaykum..
MashaAllaah a good reminder for us all.. not only Muslims, but maybe even Non-Muslims. The Ummah should try to make things easy for themselves. for example if there are people who cant stay away from watching Tv..To watch something related to Islamic and Benefical where you may gain knowledledge..To help your family members out in day to day activities...To read Books that are beneficial and Islamic..and read up on something you have yet no knowledge of maybe..etc...If your going to sit waste time on computer all day.. you may as well use it up for beneficial stuff. maybe read up on a few hadiths and memorise them.. read about the Mercy of Allaah. watch and listen to Lectures..Insha`Allaah thats what i try to do..
Wa alaaykum salaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.