/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Seasons/Christmas Greeting Cards to my Clients

justchris
11-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi Board,

I am getting ready to send out Christmas/Seasons Greeting cards to my client base. This year my company acquired two large clients who are both Muslim (Radio Station) - I was wondering whether it was ok for me to send them a card as well or if I should rather send them a personalized card wishing Happy Holidays rather than mentioning Merry Christmas?

The last thing that I would want to do is be disrespectful to anybody and their religion.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Chris

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
seekingsolace
11-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Happy Holidays is always a better choice in my humble opinion. You might have two known Muslim clients, but likely don't know which of the others might celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or in the case of Jehovah's Witnesses, none at all. Personally (and I don't pretend to speak for anyone other than myself here) I don't take offense when anyone wishes me a happy anything. I think one should see the good intent behind the wish for a happy day whether one holds that day to be special or not. Good will freely given is something I never turn down! :)

Muslim Woman
11-20-2009, 03:46 AM
Salaam/Peace

format_quote Originally Posted by justchris
....The last thing that I would want to do is be disrespectful to anybody and their religion.

If u send cards to anyone, I don't think it shows disrespect in any way. Personally I don't celebrate or take part in Christmas party , but I won't mind if any Christian sends me card . I guess , it depends on individuals and u can't satisfy all . So , do what ur heart tells u to do :)

Re.TiReD
11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi there,

Eid is next week insha'Allah, how about you give them Eid cards instead? That way you wont feel bad at having left them out and you'll have given them something much more relevant instead.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mariyyah
11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Board,

I am getting ready to send out Christmas/Seasons Greeting cards to my client base. This year my company acquired two large clients who are both Muslim (Radio Station) - I was wondering whether it was ok for me to send them a card as well or if I should rather send them a personalized card wishing Happy Holidays rather than mentioning Merry Christmas?

The last thing that I would want to do is be disrespectful to anybody and their religion.

Chris
I prefer that you dont send to them any cards but you can help them with some money as a gift would be better than the cards , for example you can replace the cards by a cheque

cat eyes
11-20-2009, 07:22 PM
:sl:no its not okay because you are saying as a muslim its okay to celebrate christmas my teacher told me its minor shirk and also to give gifts so find out from a scholar if you don't believe me

mariyyah
11-20-2009, 07:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:no its not okay because you are saying as a muslim its okay to celebrate christmas my teacher told me its minor shirk and also to give gifts so find out from a scholar if you don't believe me
are you talking to me ? if yes then i will explain to you what i mean

Rabi'ya
11-20-2009, 08:07 PM
:sl:

In my opinion I have no problems receiving Xmas cards however I wouldnt send them myself. My family give me Xmas cards. I dont find it offensive as it is their right to celebrate their occasions as long as they understand that I dont celebrate it. If anyone says Merry Xmas to me I just say "and to you" or "hope you have a nice holiday" :)

Even Islam allows others the right to celebrate their own festivals as long as they don't force it onto the Muslims.

aamirsaab
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
:sl:
I don't think they would be insulted if you gave them one. I sure would love to receive a christmas card wishing me best wishes!

We might not celebrate christmas, but we still appreciate the kind gestures :).

UmmSqueakster
11-20-2009, 09:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hafsah
Hi there,

Eid is next week insha'Allah, how about you give them Eid cards instead? That way you wont feel bad at having left them out and you'll have given them something much more relevant instead.
:thumbs_up

If it isn't too much trouble, send them a happy holidays card this week with a little note that says eid mubarak (blessed holiday basically). It will probably impress them a whole heck of a lot more than a generic holiday card in december.

We have 2 eids, and because our calendar is based on the moon, our years are ~13 days shorter than the western calendar, so the eids move up each year. Just keep an eye on the calendar (wikipedia has the potential dates) and make a note to send it out earlier than your holiday cards.

Hamza Asadullah
11-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi Board,

Chris
Hello Chris and welcome to the forum. There is no harm in the kind gesture of greeting ones clients and workers with a 'happy holiday' card but try to avoid sending out a 'merry christmas' card as we do not believe in or celebrate Christmas, but since Eid is next Friday then you should send out an Eid greeting which would be very much more appreciated and would recieve a much happier and better response than a 'happy holidays' card.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.