/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which Books are you reading?

Eliphaz
11-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Peace All,

Noticed they had this on the Urdu forum recently. Did a search and couldn't find anything recent on the MF. Thought it would be nice to share what we are all reading at the moment! :)

At the moment, I am reading:

The Road to Mecca, by Muhammad Asad
The Bible: Authorized King James Version with Apocrypha
The Idea of Pakistan, by Stephen Philip Cohen

Listening (on audiobook):

Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources, by Martin Lings
The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins

So, I am interested to know, which books are you reading right now, religious, non-religious, whatever? :D

EDIT: Also, as suggested by br. Tilmeez: Please also comment on the book you have read / are reading. (Commentry should not be a book itself ) This will help other readers to go for the same.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
11-10-2009, 04:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Omar_21:30
Thats the second last book I finished reading.
The last book I finished reading was Dan Brown's the Lost Symbol :embarrass
which is a complete rubbish, story and literary-wise.

titus
11-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I just finished the series of books by George R.R. Martin "A Song of Fire and Ice". It took me a while to wrap my head around the storytelling style, but once I did I couldn't put the books down.

Tilmeez
11-10-2009, 07:28 AM
Not reading any book at moment as I am spending a lot of time in office trying to manage new assignments. May be after Eid, Inshallah.

One more thing I would like posters to do is: Pls coment on the book you have read / are reading.
(Commentry should not be a book itself :X) This will help other readers to go for the same. :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Danah
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I am reading three books these days moving from to another

In defense if Islan for Ali Atie
Gospel of Barnabas
Sahih Qisas Al Quran (Arabic book) the authenticated stories of Quran

Brasco
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm reading Fiqh As-Sira by Al-Ghazali :D It is very interesting, but sometimes too tenacious due to in-depth description :)

muslimah_81
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I am currently reading Book of the End - Great Trials & Tribulations by Ibn Kathir. Ive read this book before but reading it again :)

Khaldun
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
:sl:

I love reading about stories of past scholars.

Im reading Siyaar 'allaam an-nubalaa at the moment, its a comprehensive book of history [28 volumes] written by Imaam ad-Dhahabi.

Also Im reading ad-Daa wa-Dawaa by Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim, I love his books because it always makes me think, he delves deep into issues of the heart etc.

As for fictional books, I must say I am a big fan of Agatha Christies books about murders and Mysteries.

Danah
11-10-2009, 05:36 PM
^ me too is crazy about Agatha Christie books

format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun
Also Im reading ad-Daa wa-Dawaa by Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim,
I have this book in my home library but have never read it, what is it talking about in general?

Khaldun
11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
:sl:

It deals with issues regarding the heart, its diseases and its cures, it is an absolute must read! Actually sign off right now and start reading! lol

Eliphaz
11-10-2009, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
to do is: Pls coment on the book you have read / are reading.
(Commentry should not be a book itself :X) This will help other readers to go for the same. :)
I agree - I am going to write full comments later on when I have time!

naidamar: What did you think of it (Martin Lings' Muhammad: His life According to Earliest Sources)? I finished it last night, I have to say the ending was surprisingly emotional, considering I already knew what was going to happen. This was the first biography of the Prophet I've ever read.

format_quote Originally Posted by Brasco
I'm reading Fiqh As-Sira by Al-Ghazali :D It is very interesting, but sometimes too tenacious due to in-depth description :)
I'm always intrigued when people mention Al-Ghazali. He is a scholar I can imagine myself liking given all I've heard about him. I really don't know where to start but I'm thinking of picking up this book when I'm done with the above!

Being unemployed gives you a lot of reading time!

Supreme
11-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm currently reading:

Animal Farm, a fantastic evaluation of Stalin's regime portrayed in such a genius metaphorical and simple fashion. 'All animals are equal... but some animals are more equal than others.' Stalin's rule in a nutshell. Stalin truly is the most evil tyrant in history.
Gospel of John. I am relatively new to this Christianity lark, so I've decided to read all the Gospels. Luke's my favourite so far, because of its account of Jesus' birth and crucifixion, and the speech Jesus gave on hopitality at a wedding, but those three are all rather similar, so this book is quite unique.
Four Hours in My Lai- Tells the tale of My Lai and the US involvement. The horrific event left 300-500 innocent Vietnamese civilians dead.

Eliphaz
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
^^ I agree, and would go as far to say Animal Farm is one of the greatest novels ever written. Most people read it in school, but I am glad to say that I didn't, otherwise I would probably not have enjoyed it half as much.

I read 1984 first, then Animal Farm after. I much prefer the latter because it is an allegorical rather than literal representation of communism. Orwell was a genius, but it is a shame people reference 1984 more than his cleverer novel Animal Farm.

Supreme
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
^^ I agree, and would go as far to say Animal Farm is one of the greatest novels ever written. Most people read it in school, but I am glad to say that I didn't, otherwise I would probably not have enjoyed it half as much.

I read 1984 first, then Animal Farm after. I much prefer the latter because it is an allegorical rather than literal representation of communism. Orwell was a genius, but it is a shame people reference 1984 more than his cleverer novel Animal Farm.
It is worth noting that I too read 1984 just recently, before Animal Farm (which I have just finished). I really couldn't choose between them, both are works of genius. I think the best thing about the two novels is just the last lines of both. Both have a depressing ending- Winston finally succumbs to the Party's rule before being shot, and Animal Farm ends with the pigs acting just as the humans did before the revolution (a reference no doubt to the little change to Russia's peasant majority in between Tsarist rule and Stalinist rule)- and both are utterly essential to anyone studying Russian history in that period, perhaps even more useful and interesting than some sources. I liked Animal Farm's shortness- it kept to the point. I loved the way by the end of the story, no one could remember life before the revolution and Napoleon was appearing less and less in public. I could talk all day about such genius.

Eliphaz
11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
So, where are the comments ppl?

The Road to Mecca, by Muhammad Asad
I am nearly finished with this book and so far it has been a combination of riveting and rambling, but definitely riveting for the most part. It's the story of Leopold Weiss's (an Austrian journalist later known as Muhammad Asad) conversion to Islam after travelling extensively throughout the Islamic World during the 1920s and experiencing first-hand many of the historic events which took place during that time. I would definitely recommend it for the opening chapter and the chapter caled Dajjal alone.

I'm just finishing reading Genesis right now (long ways to go!) but I am enjoying reading stories about Prophets like Abraham/Ibrahim, and comparing them to the Qur'anic versions. I am not sure what the best way is to read this, so I'm just going to slog through it for the time being. :) I definitely see why for any Muslim it is a must-read. Am not sure how this compares to other versions but it contains the 'Apocrypha' which is left out of most version I think...?

Again, early stages of this book, is more of a reference book. Can't really decide whether it is negatively biased or not, but why is it so difficult to find a good book on Pakistan's history?

Finished this a few days ago. My first thought having finished it was, 'What a life he had!' The language of Lings (who was a Shakespeare scholar and Oxford graduate) is truly eloquent and poetic, and I can see now why this is called 'The Best Biography of the Prophet in English'. Highly recommended.

I am so far on chapter 3, after having read Chapter 4: 'Why there almost Certainly is no God' straight off the bat, just to see what the man had to say. I am enjoying the wit and style but I felt a bit disappointed by the arguments put into chapter 4 after all the hype...

Nora.
11-11-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm currently readiing (True Message of Jesus by Bilal Philips) :) it's so interesting
Here's the link if you are interested in reading online
True Message of Jesus by Bilal Philips

Brasco
11-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I agree - I am going to write full comments later on when I have time!

naidamar: What did you think of it (Martin Lings' Muhammad: His life According to Earliest Sources)? I finished it last night, I have to say the ending was surprisingly emotional, considering I already knew what was going to happen. This was the first biography of the Prophet I've ever read.

I'm always intrigued when people mention Al-Ghazali. He is a scholar I can imagine myself liking given all I've heard about him. I really don't know where to start but I'm thinking of picking up this book when I'm done with the above!

Being unemployed gives you a lot of reading time!
The Al Ghazali who wrote Fiqh as sirah is different to your Al Ghazali. The one who wrote fiqh as sirah is Muhammad al Ghazali as saqqa, egypt. The one you mean is called Abu Hamid Muhammad ibn Muhammad Al Ghazali, persia. :D

Supreme
11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm just finishing reading Genesis right now (long ways to go!) but I am enjoying reading stories about Prophets like Abraham/Ibrahim, and comparing them to the Qur'anic versions. I am not sure what the best way is to read this, so I'm just going to slog through it for the time being. I definitely see why for any Muslim it is a must-read. Am not sure how this compares to other versions but it contains the 'Apocrypha' which is left out of most version I think...?
Fascinating stuff. May I ask, what extra books are in there? Gospel of Mary Magdalene? Book of Enoch? Acts of Peter perhaps?

I am so far on chapter 3, after having read Chapter 4: 'Why there almost Certainly is no God' straight off the bat, just to see what the man had to say. I am enjoying the wit and style but I felt a bit disappointed by the arguments put into chapter 4 after all the hype...
I held out from reading this for a while in case it completely destroyed my faith. I needn't have worried. If there's one thing Dawkins is good at, it isn't religion. It's a case of comparing the worst of religion to the best of science with arguments Dawkins doesn't really understand. I think when Dawkins attributes the Book of Hebrews to Paul is when you realise just how bad things are. I read the Dawkins Delusion afterwards. It makes a mockery of Dawkins' arguments and really makes you believe that Dawkins insulted the intelligence of his audience with The God Delusion.

Eliphaz
11-11-2009, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Fascinating stuff. May I ask, what extra books are in there? Gospel of Mary Magdalene? Book of Enoch? Acts of Peter perhaps?
If there was, I don't think I would be able to hold the book when reading - It's already pushing 2000 pages! It's basically OT, The Books of Apocryphia, then NT. Both OT and NT are KJV. I understand the Apocryphia is not considered part of the Bible? If so, why is it included here?

format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I held out from reading this for a while in case it completely destroyed my faith. I needn't have worried. If there's one thing Dawkins is good at, it isn't religion. It's a case of comparing the worst of religion to the best of science with arguments Dawkins doesn't really understand. I think when Dawkins attributes the Book of Hebrews to Paul is when you realise just how bad things are. I read the Dawkins Delusion afterwards. It makes a mockery of Dawkins' arguments and really makes you believe that Dawkins insulted the intelligence of his audience with The God Delusion.
I agree. I actually read the book 'Dawkin's God' by McGrath about 2 years ago, which was a similar response to Dawkins' arguments (though more aimed at 'The Selfish Gene' I think.) To be honest I wouldn't bother reading McGrath's book, it's counter-arguments are just as weak and convoluted as Dawkins's.

glo
11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
At the moment I am reading The Moral Maze: A Way of Exploring Christian Ethics by David Cook.

Supreme
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
If there was, I don't think I would be able to hold the book when reading - It's already pushing 2000 pages! It's basically OT, The Books of Apocryphia, then NT. Both OT and NT are KJV. I understand the Apocryphia is not considered part of the Bible? If so, why is it included here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament_apocrypha

Basically, they were book excluded from the Bible by the early church. It could have been for any number of reasons- they may have been written too late, may have featured exclusively Jesus' childhood (the Infancy Gospel of Thomas portrays Jesus as a mass murderer) or may have introduced heretical ideas (Judas is traditionally seen as Jesus' enemy, but in his gospel, he is made out to be Jesus' best friend).

Interesting stuff.

غزالی
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
My Favourite Writer is Nasim Hijaazi (Best Novelist on the islamic historical Events)..If you taste his books one time, No Other book will remain be attractive for you.His Novels are in urdu..
The below i am giving Mediafire link.You can download all of his novel directly from here.

http://www.mediafire.com/sher806

Rafeeq
11-12-2009, 10:47 AM
The World of Jinn & Devils
by Dr. Umar Sulaiman

JaffaCake
11-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm going to turn this thread all serious and add Bret 'Hitman' Hart's autobiography. ;)
I have the sneaking suspicion that there aren't many "pro wrestling" fans here, though :D
I found the early chapters on his childhood to be touching, the tone throughout the rest of the book is more grim, many lost lives, broken relationships and betrayals.
Recommended if you've ever been curious about what it's like behind the scenes.

Trick or Treatment?: Alternative Medicine on Trial by Prof. Edzard Ernst and Dr. Simon Singh.
I initially bought this with the intention of giving it to a friend of mine who is an alternative therapist. Needless to say, I couldn't help myself and read it first :embarrass
Entertaining and informative, it covers the 4 most popular alternative therapies (Acupuncture, Homeopathy, Chiropractic Therapy and Herbal Medicine) and a page each on some others. The authors use data from clinical studies to assess the effectiveness of these therapies and describe the process in a very accessible way. It also includes some background on how and why we use such methods along with some interesting historical cases.

On Amazon this book has plenty of erudite 5 star reviews by doctors and petty, insulting 1 star reviews by alternative therapists. For me, that alone is a good enough reason to read it.

crayon
11-13-2009, 01:28 PM
There used to be a similar thread, I tried doing a search, but didn't manage to find it.

I'm currently reading Kafka's "the Trial", which is quite intriguing so far. The edition I have also has an introduction by another author, which describes Kafka's character, and he seems like such an interesting person. I'll probably be checking out the rest of his books when I finish this one.

Hugo
01-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Just finished a few books which you might like a look at:

Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson (ISBN 978-0-141-040080)- its is primarily about English but it does dip into other languages and shows how words and grammar are formed and changed over time. If you want to go a bit farther in linguistics for the laymen then this book is a good place to start.

The Jewish People - their History and Religion by Goldberg a and Rayner (ISBN 978-0140-15917) I found this book fascinating and written in an excellent and lucid style and as an aid to understanding the Bible, even for a Christians, was of immense value and the chapter on ethical dimensions would be of value to anyone no matter what their religion.

Islamic Imperialism - by Efraim Karsh (ISBN 978-0-300-12663-3) is a totally scholarly work and one can only wonder how he managed to say so much in such a lucid style in just 300 pages. If is fully referenced everywhere and begins Islamic history from the days in Medina right up to today. I can see that some Muslim might be put off by the title but that would be a mistake because to me there is a total honesty and even handedness about his presentation that is unmistakable and not to be missed.

Hugo
01-01-2010, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eliphaz
Apocryphal writings were often used by the early church particularly as a kind of Biblical aid or commentary because they can help with understanding words and contexts. If you use Christian commentaries today they will often refer to an apocryphal book to help with an explanation.

I don't think anyone can read the Bible for hours on end and I don't think it was ever treated like that and most Christians will take a smallish passage and meditate or study it with the aid of commentaries either alone or in groups. Often this can take weeks - for example, I know of a local study group that have been meeting for a whole University term to look at Romans and so far have only got to half way through chapter 3!

crayon
01-02-2010, 07:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
I'm currently reading Kafka's "the Trial", which is quite intriguing so far. The edition I have also has an introduction by another author, which describes Kafka's character, and he seems like such an interesting person. I'll probably be checking out the rest of his books when I finish this one.
I gave up on that book. It was moving way too slowly for my likes.

I just finished reading "extremely loud and incredibly close"; brilliant book, I loved it. Now I'll be starting with "portrait of the artist as a young man" inshaAllah.

Raaina
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM

At the moment, I am reading:

That sounds an interesting book. I might have to look into adding that one to my reading list.

Books i've just finished reading:

Twilight - By Stephenie Meyer :embarrass Yes, I know it's a teenage girl's book. But the girls made me read it :p and I needed something to do on my 10 hour flight! If you've not heard of Twilight, it's about a family of vampires who are "vegetarians" and so don't feed off people, but animals. They move into a small town and a girl falls in Love with one of them.

Books i've just started to read:

Three cups of tea - By Greg Mortenson

The Shock Doctrine - By Naomi Klein

tango92
01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
anybody read the quran recently? just joking, im sure that goes without saying

the last book i read to completion was either harry potter 7 or naughts and crosses

i used to be a serious book nerd. until i discovered video games. thats when i really started learning!!!

Eliphaz
01-02-2010, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mystical_moon
That sounds an interesting book. I might have to look into adding that one to my reading list.

Books i've just finished reading:

Twilight - By Stephenie Meyer :embarrass Yes, I know it's a teenage girl's book. But the girls made me read it :p and I needed something to do on my 10 hour flight! If you've not heard of Twilight, it's about a family of vampires who are "vegetarians" and so don't feed off people, but animals. They move into a small town and a girl falls in Love with one of them.

Books i've just started to read:

Three cups of tea - By Greg Mortenson

The Shock Doctrine - By Naomi Klein
Gah! Twilight strikes again. Actually I saw New Moon in the cinema and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although my sister categorically forbids me from reading the book as she it would be, quote 'cringy', for me to be reading it. Fiiine.

Yes, The Idea of Pakistan is a fascinating book and the only one I have found which is as comprehensive as this one. Take it with a pinch of salt - I know the name 'Cohen' will put a lot of people off unfortunately. It has even been recommended by professors at University of Karachi (or maybe Lahore). I actually need to get back to reading this book!

Three Cups of Tea and Shock Doctrine are probably in my top 10 books, they are both amazing reads in their own ways and I hope you enjoy them! Naomi Klein is a genius.

glo
01-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Most recently I have read 'The Happiness Hypothesis' by Jonathan Haidt, a Jewish atheist who explores the meaning of old wisdoms in the light of modern scientific evidence.
I bought it for my husband last Christmas, and have finally managed to read it myself.

One review says this:
"An intellectual tour de force that weaves into one fabric wisdom that is ancient and modern, religious and scientific, Eastern and Western, liberal and conservative—all with the aim of pointing us to a more meaningful, moral, and satisfying life.”
http://www.happinesshypothesis.com/

Hugo
01-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I was given a book as a Christmas present which dumbfounded me when I took off the wrappings - its was a comic book! I think they are called graphic novels but no matter, why would anyone give me a comic book? Well the book was "Logicomix" by Doxiadis and Papadimitriou (ISBN 9780747 597209) and costs about £16 so quite expensive for a comic (I know you not supposed to find out how much a present costs but in this case....)

The book was something of a revelation to me as it deals with logic and its roots and flaws. It mostly is a kind of Biography with the story hero is Bertram Russell and his monumental struggle to establish solid foundations for the whole of mathematics but as most of you will know he failed and his failure is explained in what is known as Russell's Paradox and hence shows that logic is essentially fatally flawed and cannot be fixed. (You might like to know Russell and Whitehead produced a book called Principia where it took over 360 pages and 10 years to prove 1+1 = 2 and the only way they got it published at all was to pay for it themselves!

Russell himself used to say he had only known one person to actually have read it. If you look at it, its very very hard going indeed even if you have a good idea what they are doing in logical thinking. Here are some short quotes from the comic book:

1. Logic is faulty and the fault cannot be fixed
2. They described their work about logic as "..without a sure footing it is merely a competent survey of hell"
3. Confusing reality with ones own mind map
4. The lost promise of certainty in rationality ... so we chop off the parts that could not fit through the grid protecting our intellectual lair
5. .. there is a fragile loneliness about every individual to human suffering and death ... the only alternative being redemption and compassion

Although it is a comic book reading it is not for the faint hearted. Just to whet you appetite here is the paradox in Russell's own words.

"does the set of all sets which do not contain themselves contain itself?" "If it does then it doesn't and if it does't it does"
In boards like this one you will often see people talking about logic but if you want to get a grip on it and the difficulties that goes with it then this might be the place to start. But be aware if logic is flawed in mathematics it is doubly so everywhere else (see point 5 above)

cat eyes
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
i dont know how u all find the time to read coming to this forum so much:giggling:

Danah
01-11-2010, 07:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
i dont know how u all find the time to read coming to this forum so much:giggling:
^ sometimes I think the same lol, I find myself read some long articles here instead of grabbing a book and read it, which is good too since in both cases I am knowing something new.

Anyways, Currently I am reading a book about sects in Islam (Islam bila Madaheb) for Mustafa Al-Shak'3ah

tw009
01-11-2010, 07:24 AM
I just started reading 'Dont Be Sad' by Aaidh ibn Abdullah Al-Qarni ...im loving it so far!

Danah
01-11-2010, 07:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
I just started reading 'Dont Be Sad' by Aaidh ibn Abdullah Al-Qarni ...im loving it so far!
^ wow!! that book is literally amazing, I am sure you will like it till the end

CosmicPathos
01-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Gah! Twilight strikes again. Actually I saw New Moon in the cinema and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, although my sister categorically forbids me from reading the book as she it would be, quote 'cringy', for me to be reading it. Fiiine.

Yes, The Idea of Pakistan is a fascinating book and the only one I have found which is as comprehensive as this one. Take it with a pinch of salt - I know the name 'Cohen' will put a lot of people off unfortunately. It has even been recommended by professors at University of Karachi (or maybe Lahore). I actually need to get back to reading this book!

Three Cups of Tea and Shock Doctrine are probably in my top 10 books, they are both amazing reads in their own ways and I hope you enjoy them! Naomi Klein is a genius.
Just curious, why are you interested in Pakistan's history? Are a Pakistani?

In any case, you should check out the articles and books by Dr. Ayesha Jalal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayesha_Jalal

By the way, I am currently reading Principles of Human Physiology. Soon I'll start Life in the Universe by Bennett.

CosmicPathos
01-11-2010, 07:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Danah
^ wow!! that book is literally amazing, I am sure you will like it till the end
I bought the book from Makkah. I like it. Its very encouraging most of the times. But at some places I felt that it became too repetitive and some arguments led to more questions, maybe I was reading too much into and the author was talking to a laymen who would not get too technical, wallahu Aaalim. But may Allah bless the scholar.

Raaina
01-11-2010, 10:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hugo
I was given a book as a Christmas present which dumbfounded me when I took off the wrappings - its was a comic book! I think they are called graphic novels but no matter, why would anyone give me a comic book? Well the book was "Logicomi" by Doxiadis and Papadimitriou (ISBN 9780747 597209) and costs about £16 so quite expensive for a comic (I know you not supposed to find out how much a present costs but in this case....)

The book was something of a revelation to me as it deals with logic and its roots and flaws. It mostly is a kind of Biography with the story hero is Bertram Russell and his monumental struggle to establish solid foundations for the whole of mathematics but as most of you will know he failed and his failure is explained in what is known as Russell's Paradox and hence shows that logic is essentially fatally flawed and cannot be fixed. (You might like to know Russell and Whitehead produced a book called Principia where it took over 360 pages and 10 years to prove 1+1 = 2 and the only way they got it published at all was to pay for it themselves!

Russell himself used to say he had only known one person to actually have read it. If you look at it, its very very hard going indeed even if you have a good idea what they are doing in logical thinking. Here are some short quotes from the comic book:

1. Logic is faulty and the fault cannot be fixed
2. They described their work about logic as "..without a sure footing it is merely a competent survey of hell"
3. Confusing reality with ones own mind map
4. The lost promise of certainty in rationality ... so we chop off the parts that could not fit through the grid protecting our intellectual lair
5. .. there is a fragile loneliness about every individual to human suffering and death ... the only alternative being redemption and compassion

Although it is a comic book reading it is not for the faint hearted. Just to whet you appetite here is the paradox in Russell's own words.

"does the set of all sets which do not contain themselves contain itself?" "If it does then it doesn't and if it does't it does"
In boards like this one you will often see people talking about logic but if you want to get a grip on it and the difficulties that goes with it then this might be the place to start. But be aware if logic is flawed in mathematics it is doubly so everywhere else (see point 5 above)
That sounds a somewhat interesting and complicated comic book :p

abu_musab461
01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
tafseer of surah noor darus salam. excellent book

clears up so many of the misconceptions about islam- shariya, capital punishment, hijab, niqab, free mixing, marriage, why zina is prohibited.

Supreme
01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Barack Obama- The Audacity of Hope. It's his political philophosy all in one. The chapters are long, but it's brilliant.

Hugo
01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Anybody read "The Tin Drum" (Die Blechtrommel), published in 1959 by Gunter Grass? Its I think some kind of allegory of the Nazi regime though I am not sure I detected that when I read it several years ago but I just came across it again when sorting my books out.

It is I thought easy read (in English) though the story about a kind of dwarf who beats and wears out tin drums sounds forbidding but it is I think worth the bother if only to get into another kind of writing. Incidentally, Grass is a Nobel Prize winner in literature.

It has been made into a film and if you think the book is weird then then the film will confirm it for you.

Life_Is_Short
01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I was reading, Palestine, Yesterday, today and tomorrow by Dr Tareq Suwaidan.

Very interesting. It provides a brief overview of the long and turbulent history of Palestine, from it's dawn to the present day.

It's Gold :D

Hugo
01-11-2010, 06:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tw009
This book sounds interesting and useful though I have only read press cuttings on it but I wonder if being sad is sometime or even perhaps often good for us - does he touch on that aspect?

crayon
01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
A really great website I just discovered for all book lovers- like facebook, except no people, just books!

http://www.shelfari.com/

Somaiyah
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I am currently reading the Quran from start to end for the first time. Then I'm also reading a book called "The obligation of veiling" to find more prooves on niqab.

Hugo
01-12-2010, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
A really great website I just discovered for all book lovers- like facebook, except no people, just books!

http://www.shelfari.com/
There is an App very like this site as follows although of course you cannot share it

ItemShelf - found in the Apple App Store
Costs about £1 but it is excellent. The idea is that it lets you catalogue books and all sorts of other things. Essentially, one creates a 'shelf' and then if you have say a collection of books you can just add them in by typing in the ISBN or the book name if you don't know the ISBN and the App looks up all the other details for you. You can also classify the book with as many tags as you like. If you have an Iphone you can just take a picture of the bar code if you don't want to type it in.

Finally, you can use it to look for books because it can search Amazon for you. So on my Itouch I have a shelf for my own library, a shelf for books I want to buy or need a reference to or been recommended, a shelf for my CD/DVD collection and one for household items (for example, we have 8 different type of lighting so its a good idea to have the details and bar code for each one).

The only limit seems to be how much memory you have free and so far I have catalogued well over 500 books and 200 CDs with a long way to go yet.

جوري
01-16-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't enjoy fiction or novels for that matter but I just had to buy this book:

it is un-put-downable ...

lucky that I am a fast reader so I don't have to feel guilty about enjoying something so frivolous...

you can read the reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Gard...DateDescending

:w:

glo
01-16-2010, 09:00 PM
The Bible is my usual daily reading material.

Apart from that I am reading 'The Powers That Be' by Walter Wink.

Hugo
01-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Anyone read "My Uncle Napoleon" yet? It's a Persian novel written about 1973 but its available in English. It was banned by the Mullah's (a good reason to read it) in Iran after the revolution and after a very successful TV series. It is said to be the most beloved Iranian novel of our time.

Its quite a longish read but well worth it and for me it was all captured in almost the very first scene where the children are all sent for and lined up in front of "Dear Uncle" because someone had scrawled in chalk on the door leading to the yard "Napoleon is a Donkey". Dear Uncle then cried out "who did this?" and they all unwittingly and surreptitiously focus on Siamak but Dear Uncle spots it....

"My Uncle Napoleon", by Iraj Pezeshkzad and translated into English by Dick Davies ISBN 97808129-74430

abu salaahudeen
01-26-2010, 01:08 AM
I have a stack of books which I need to go through currently prioritised trying to finish the book The tree of faith by Shaykh Abdulrahaman Nasser as saidi.

Secondly i wish to go through the book The Road to Jannah by shaykh Omar Bakri Muhammad

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.