/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello to All! Student here...

Anthro Student
11-10-2009, 04:11 PM
:sl: I hope everyone is in good health.

The reason I am here is because, as you can probably tell from my username, I am an anthropology student, and I go to college in New York. The assignment was to do an ethnography project, which is to study people in a particular place and get to know their behaviors and such things like that and I chose this forum to do my project! The professor said it'd be a little hard to do an ethnography project on an online community, as I am realizing now since I can't really observe people here, but I'm hoping to understand people here the best I can and I was hoping people here would help me by answering any questions I have.

Some background info about myself: I'm 19 and Muslim hijabi, born and raised in New York and parents from Bangladesh. I'm very shy, which is sort of the reason I chose an online community because I have difficulty talking to strangers ;D but also because I wanted to learn more about my own religion. I'm not majoring in anthropology, this is just an assignment. I don't really know what to major in really :hmm:

Before I signed up today, I explored the forum on my own for a while and have a few questions.
1 - I know you have to apply to the brothers/sisters section, but why is this? And what are the requirements for acquiring access?
2 - Are there any trouble makers, well I don't know if that's the best word for them..hmm..maybe people that want to argue about the beliefs we hold and how do you deal with them?
3 - Most members are probably Muslim, but what other religions are represented here?
4 - If I wanted to pm someone because I found their posts interesting, is that allowed? Or discouraged if it is someone of the opposite sex?

That's it for now. I probably sound crazy ;D but I hope I didn't frighten anyone off with all my questions. I am very interested in learning about this community and hope you will aid me in my assignment. :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
11-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Welcome to the community.

It is good choice to spend your time on this forum. You will really enjoy in a very good learning environment. I really appreciate this forum.

Answers to your questions as per my little knowledge are as under;

1. There is a certain no. of post counts in this forum to give you rise in your status from Limited Member to the higher positions. Yes, applying in brothers/sisters section is limited to those members who are evaluated first.

2. There is no trouble maker here, every body is posting some question or statement to get clarification and we have brothers and sisters who help them. If a post/thread is considered to become controvertial, administrators are here to close/remove it.

3. There is no restriction of religion for members. We should show patience to every body. There is no religion which is different in its basics from any other religion. This is why, if you do not want to disclose your religion, it is not necessary here.

4. You can PM anybody of any gender.

Wasalam U Elaik

format_quote Originally Posted by Anthro Student
:sl: I hope everyone is in good health.

The reason I am here is because, as you can probably tell from my username, I am an anthropology student, and I go to college in New York. The assignment was to do an ethnography project, which is to study people in a particular place and get to know their behaviors and such things like that and I chose this forum to do my project! The professor said it'd be a little hard to do an ethnography project on an online community, as I am realizing now since I can't really observe people here, but I'm hoping to understand people here the best I can and I was hoping people here would help me by answering any questions I have.

Some background info about myself: I'm 19 and Muslim hijabi, born and raised in New York and parents from Bangladesh. I'm very shy, which is sort of the reason I chose an online community because I have difficulty talking to strangers ;D but also because I wanted to learn more about my own religion. I'm not majoring in anthropology, this is just an assignment. I don't really know what to major in really :hmm:

Before I signed up today, I explored the forum on my own for a while and have a few questions.
1 - I know you have to apply to the brothers/sisters section, but why is this? And what are the requirements for acquiring access?
2 - Are there any trouble makers, well I don't know if that's the best word for them..hmm..maybe people that want to argue about the beliefs we hold and how do you deal with them?
3 - Most members are probably Muslim, but what other religions are represented here?
4 - If I wanted to pm someone because I found their posts interesting, is that allowed? Or discouraged if it is someone of the opposite sex?

That's it for now. I probably sound crazy ;D but I hope I didn't frighten anyone off with all my questions. I am very interested in learning about this community and hope you will aid me in my assignment. :D

Misz_Muslimah
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Asalamalaikum,
Hope you have a great stay :)

Kas1m
11-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Hello and welcome..
I was a student too at some point in my life

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
OurIslamic
11-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Salam :) Welcome to IB!

Anthro Student
12-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you all for your welcomes! I'm sorry, I haven't had time to post here as often as I would've liked, I've been so busy with school which is just winding down now.

format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
Welcome to the community.

It is good choice to spend your time on this forum. You will really enjoy in a very good learning environment. I really appreciate this forum.

Answers to your questions as per my little knowledge are as under;

1. There is a certain no. of post counts in this forum to give you rise in your status from Limited Member to the higher positions. Yes, applying in brothers/sisters section is limited to those members who are evaluated first.

2. There is no trouble maker here, every body is posting some question or statement to get clarification and we have brothers and sisters who help them. If a post/thread is considered to become controvertial, administrators are here to close/remove it.

3. There is no restriction of religion for members. We should show patience to every body. There is no religion which is different in its basics from any other religion. This is why, if you do not want to disclose your religion, it is not necessary here.

4. You can PM anybody of any gender.

Wasalam U Elaik
Thank you for answering my questions. One thing though about number 4, a sister PMed me and I wanted to PM her back but it says I need 50 posts in order to PM her. I don't want her to think I'm ignoring her! Lol, so is this a way to keep members from bothering other members?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.