/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Israel's wall remains 20 years after Berlin Wall

sister herb
11-11-2009, 07:58 AM
10-11-2009,12:53

As Germany marked the twentieth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, Palestinians lamented the rise of Israel's "apartheid" wall by breaching the concrete barrier on Monday near the West Bank city of Ramallah.

Some 100 protestors, waving Palestinian flags, broke through near the Qalandiya military checkpoint and set fire to tires as Israeli forces opened fire, Palestinian news agency Ma'an reported.

The protesters were said to be wearing fluorescent jackets that read "We are going to Jerusalem" in a bid to get the worlds attention about the hypocrisy of celebrating the fall of the Berlin Wall when Israel still kept its wall around the Palestinian people.

The images of Palestinians breaching the wall were almost identical of the images of the historic night when East Berliners trapped behind the 3.6 meter (12 feet) high concrete barrier rushed checkpoints to force it open, which have dominated German television and newspaper coverage for the past week.

In Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel hailed the courage of East Germans as leaders converged on the German capital to celebrate the 20th anniversary of an event which marked the end of the Cold War.

"The night of Nov. 9, 1989 was the fulfillment of a dream," Merkel said in a speech in Berlin.

"Many played a role. But it would not have been possible without the courage of the people in the former East Germany."

Perhaps the Palestinian people should take a page out of the German people's book.

Source: http://www.qassam.ps/news-2030-Israe...rlin_Wall.html

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Uthman
11-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Pygoscelis
11-11-2009, 03:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
I could never give Israel any sort of moral standing due to this issue. But Israel could quickly and easily bring me onside. Simply offer to all palestinians full equal citizenship within Israel, with full voting rights etc. Or, offer an independent state to Palestine without any "overseeing".

The way it is now Palestinians are essentially in prison camps. I'd call it reservations, but people can leave reservations.

Supreme
11-11-2009, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
I could never give Israel any sort of moral standing due to this issue. But Israel could quickly and easily bring me onside. Simply offer to all palestinians full equal citizenship within Israel, with full voting rights etc. Or, offer an independent state to Palestine without any "overseeing".

The way it is now Palestinians are essentially in prison camps. I'd call it reservations, but people can leave reservations.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don't understand why the Israelis don't just do it, it's hardly be expensive. I think it's just arrogance and pride.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
11-11-2009, 11:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I don't understand why the Israelis don't just do it, it's hardly be expensive. I think it's just arrogance and pride.
I expect its because Israel fears a demographic shift. Israel will eventually have to decide between democracy and being a "Jewish State".

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.