/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What is the story of Pi?

جوري
11-15-2009, 02:36 AM
:sl:
Haven't been able to find much about it on the web.. and I don't want to shell out $254.99 to find out

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursede....aspx?cid=1499

I am fascinated by the history of numbers, but I think learning outside of academia should be free :shade::embarrass

:wa:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
11-15-2009, 03:10 AM
http://ebook30.com/audiobooks/audiob...ers-audio.html

this really shouldn't be done, but if it's for the sake of learning :/

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Pi is only a mystery because we now use the decimal system. Pi is simply the result of the circumfrence of a circle divided by the diameter. It is a constant meaning it is the same no matter how large or small the circle is.

In the field of math we really do not have to have the decimal equivalent it can be viewed and used as a unique mathematical value. Not much different then how we use any other number.

the relationship of Pi opened up the doors of spherical geometry and spherical trigonometry. With it we can calculate the lengths of arcs with only knowing the radius of a circle or spere and the degrees inscribed by the arc. This opened the path for calculating the size and shape of the earth with knowing only the distance from Damascus to Alexandria. It also made possible the science of navigation.

Cute little animal the mysterious Pi

BTW: Pie are round, corn bread are square.

جوري
11-15-2009, 04:03 AM
very very nice.. Jazakoum Allah khyran..
I remember vaguely from my youth a 3.14 dash dash value.. I wanted to appreciate it in a different light and I do...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
YusufNoor
11-15-2009, 04:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Haven't been able to find much about it on the web.. and I don't want to shell out $254.99 to find out

I am fascinated by the history of numbers, but I think learning outside of academia should be free :shade::embarrass

those Teaching Company lectures series are one of the best things ever to appear on my TV!

that one is on sale for $70, and there's a guy on ebay selling it for $55.

if you buy from TTC, you get a lifetime guarantee. ebay is usually cheaper, but being on their email lists means that you will eventually see EVERY SINGLE TITLE on sale.

they sale price titles at:

$40 for 2 dvds

$70 for 4 dvds

$100 for 6 dvds

$120 for 8 dvds.

sometimes you can save a few extra bucks by buying sets and lots of times there is free shipping.

and, In Sha'a Allah, i'm buying 2 titles this week, but probably off of ebay. i have most everything on mp3, making cds for the car is great. but the
dvds are even better for most titles

جوري
11-15-2009, 04:26 AM
I have a friend who has bought several series form them but usually the subject is on art history or philosophy I enjoy both topics immensely.. haven't made the leap to math.. but for some reason it is fascinating me of late.. I couldn't wait to be done with calculus in under-grad and now I feel like I don't even know what it stands for it is freaky.. I have been watching little youtube snippets to refresh but I think I might just go for DVD lectures to regain what I have lost and perhaps learn new things or see things in a different light all together...

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 04:30 AM
very very nice.. Jazakoum Allah khyran..
I remember vaguely from my youth a 3.14 dash dash value.. I wanted to appreciate it in a different light and I do...

It is a non-repeating infinite decimal place value a close approximation is to divide 22 by 7. However, if we use it as a mathematical function and work our calculation where it cancels itself out, we do not need to worry about it's actual value and just think of it as pi. But if we get pressed and need a number so we can cut a piece of rope to make a belt that fits around the equater 3.14 will suffice and the average person will never notice it is not exact.

what fascinates me is how in blazes did any human ever come up with the concept of Pi. For a long time the world got along fine with calculating arcs with successive approximations quite a jump going from visible measurement to abstract concepts of measurement.

جوري
11-15-2009, 04:45 AM
I am always in such great company on this board.. Masha'Allah.. between all the Muslims here, philosophers, scholars, mathematicians, economists, politicians, doctors, lawyers, teachers, psychiatrists, herbalists, business people, polemicists, and languages to cover the globe we can start our perfect nation on a secluded island.. declare it for Allah swt and live free and happy...

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 04:58 AM
I am always in such great company on this board.. Masha'Allah.. between all the Muslims here, philosophers, scholars, mathematicians, economists, politicians, doctors, lawyers, teachers, psychiatrists, herbalists, business people, polemicists, and languages to cover the globe we can start our perfect nation on a secluded island.. declare it for Allah swt and live free and happy...

The secluded island better have a good halal restaurant or everybody is going to starve to death.

جوري
11-15-2009, 05:03 AM
well don't look at me :lol: brother yusuf is an excellent chef masha'Allah.. how can I forget to mention that with previous (that isn't to say you are not a great chef too br. woodrow) but I see you out with the horses or sailing than whipping out a Bouillabaisse..
I tell you the more I think about it, the more I wish it would materialize .. I just want to live in peace a dignified life and utilize all I have learned for the service of deserving people away from all this strife which is almost too much for my soul to bear...

Ummu Sufyaan
11-15-2009, 09:02 AM
What is the story of Pi?
it made us depressed and deathly bored at school. does that count sis :D

ardianto
11-15-2009, 02:06 PM
According to my calculator, Pi = 3.1428571
(I think I must buy calculator with more digits)

GuestFellow
11-15-2009, 03:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
According to my calculator, Pi = 3.1428571
(I think I must buy calculator with more digits)
I can only remember up to Pi = 3.142

I hate Pi and Pie in general.

ardianto
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
I can only remember up to Pi = 3.142

I hate Pi and Pie in general.
But if you want to know volume of a Pie you need Pi. :D

جوري
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
But if you want to know volume of a Pie you need Pi. :D
ROFL how clever...

Uthman
11-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Pi is facinating, isn't it? Such a seemingly random number has so many useful applications.

What I find very interesting indeed is that we can combine the three most famous numbers in mathematics in a calculation to get an astonishing result.

e = 2.71828183.... (irrational number)

i = square root of -1 (imaginary number)

Pi = 3.14159265... (irrational number)

And the calculation:

e^iπ = -1

All the individual numbers were discovered independently at different times for different purposes. Yet, of all the numbers this calculation could have equalled, it equals -1. And nobody really knows why.

جوري
11-15-2009, 10:33 PM
would you agree in spite of the logic of math that it is birthed of our imagination? and through it all other sciences were made possible like inroganic chemistry and physics to name a couple? I don't want to get poetic about our use of 'logic' but I think we really are born with all the knowledge of the world already within us, but we are to re-create memory tracks and reach for it from within....

[Pickthal 2:31] And He taught Adam all the names, then showed them to the angels, saying: Inform Me of the names of these, if ye are truthful.

[Pickthal 2:32] They said: Be glorified! We have no knowledge saving that which Thou hast taught us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Knower, the Wise.

[Pickthal 2:33] He said: O Adam! Inform them of their names, and when he had informed them of their names, He said: Did I not tell you that I know the secret of the heavens and the earth? And I know that which ye disclose and which ye hide.
I take these verses to denote, that we have the appetite to learn, the tools to discover, and prior knowledge of all that there is, and by same token should allow us to the path to Allah swt..

my two cents anyway...

:w:

Abdul Fattah
11-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Selam aleykum
Pi is like the holy grail of mathematicians. Brother Woodrow mentioned that for centuries we used successive approximations to calculate arcs. Yet the ancient Greeks had already figured out that the relation between the diameter and the circumference of any circle is constant. However, this fact has been kind of laughing in the mathematicians faces. It's something so simple, about one of the most basic geometric shapes. Yet we still can't express pi by using numbers. So far, only approximations. And what's much more brain-racking, is we still have no idea as to where that ratio comes from. If the circle is such a basic, simple, straightforward figure, how come we don't see where this pi comes from? We use the equation of the circumference in so many applications. But despite all our technological advancements we fail to apprehend the origin of that equation.

GuestFellow
11-15-2009, 10:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
Pi is facinating, isn't it? Such a seemingly random number has so many useful applications.

What I find very interesting indeed is that we can combine the three most famous numbers in mathematics in a calculation to get an astonishing result.

e = 2.71828183.... (irrational number)

i = square root of -1 (imaginary number)

Pi = 3.14159265... (irrational number)

And the calculation:

e^iπ = -1

All the individual numbers were discovered independently at different times for different purposes. Yet, of all the numbers this calculation could have equalled, it equals -1. And nobody really knows why.
o_O I'll need someone to explain that to me in simple English :p

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
would you agree in spite of the logic of math that it is birthed of our imagination? and through it all other sciences were made possible like inroganic chemistry and physics to name a couple? I don't want to get poetic about our use of 'logic' but I think we really are born with all the knowledge of the world already within us, but we are to re-create memory tracks and reach for it from within....

I take these verses to denote, that we have the appetite to learn, the tools to discover, and prior knowledge of all that there is, and by same token should allow us to the path to Allah swt..

my two cents anyway...

:w:

Of course there still are people that will say that man's ability to conceive the concept of Pi or the concept of how to bake apple pies are the natural evolutionary development of the human brain.

I must have missed something in my physiological studies of the brain, I can't seem to recall where the Pi engram is located.

جوري
11-15-2009, 11:04 PM
the human brain by and large remains a mystery .. it is fat suspended in liquid .. yet capable of so many great feats and equally horrible ones.. most of its feats are round the clock commands that the conscious mind isn't capable of understanding, the brain dictates and is responsible for maintaining and regulating most of the functions in our body and outside of that.. it is a sovereign and a slave...

Woodrow
11-15-2009, 11:15 PM
the human brain by and large remains a mystery .. it is fat suspended in liquid .. yet capable of so many great feats and equally horrible ones.. most of its feats are round the clock commands that the conscious mind isn't capable of understanding, the brain dictates and is responsible for maintaining and regulating most of the functions in our body and outside of that.. it is a sovereign and a slave...

Although much of the human brain is of a physical nature. There is an area that I can not find any biological explanation for, this is the realm of the abstract.

Volition

premeditation

imagination

curiosity

the concept of a concept

From a physical view there is no reason for them to be.

czgibson
11-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Greetings,

Thanks for the invitation to your thread, Skye. There've been a lot of interesting contributions so far. I don't have a lot to add, other than this:

would you agree in spite of the logic of math that it is birthed of our imagination?
This is a crucial question in the philosophy of mathematics, which you can read about in the link. There does seem to be something about mathematics that is very intuitive; it seems to be a very basic part of the human condition. You can't go out into nature and find a 2, but at the same time it's hard to imagine not being able to understand the concept of what 2 means. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who teaches mathematics to small children. I wonder if they pick it up as easily as they usually pick up language when learning to talk?

Peace

Abdul Fattah
11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Thanks for the invitation to your thread, Skye. There've been a lot of interesting contributions so far. I don't have a lot to add, other than this:

This is a crucial question in the philosophy of mathematics, which you can read about in the link. There does seem to be something about mathematics that is very intuitive; it seems to be a very basic part of the human condition. You can't go out into nature and find a 2, but at the same time it's hard to imagine not being able to understand the concept of what 2 means. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who teaches mathematics to small children. I wonder if they pick it up as easily as they usually pick up language when learning to talk?

Peace
Hi,
Well according to ontological nihilism, 2 doesn't exist, only 1 exists. And the things we define as 2 are actually just a 1 and another 1 that are close to one another. But they never come together to form a 2.

yazoo
11-18-2009, 05:35 PM

Theres a book called the life of pi- its a good book

Ramadhan
11-18-2009, 11:20 PM
^ when I read the title, i thought this thread was about the book, but turned out it's about the number
:)

Abdul Fattah
11-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Selam aleykum
Video revealing some of the mystery of pi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zoqL2iOpvo

جوري
11-21-2009, 11:30 PM
^^ very nice.. Jazaka Allah khyran

Uthman
11-22-2009, 11:44 AM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
o_O I'll need someone to explain that to me in simple English :p
There is a Wikipedia article about it here.

Hopefully it won't confuse you even further! :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.