/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Interfaith Week 15-21 November 2009

glo
11-15-2009, 08:32 PM
This week is Interfaith Week here in the UK - an opportunity to learn what other faiths are about, and to inform other people about our own faith ...

Last year people from our church visited the local mosque; this year members from the mosque are coming to visit our church.
I am hoping for a good turn-out, and for the forging of new relationships and inter-faith initiatives.

Is anybody else involved in this year's Interfaith Week?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
11-15-2009, 09:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
This week is Interfaith Week here in the UK - an opportunity to learn what other faiths are about, and to inform other people about our own faith ...

Last year people from our church visited the local mosque; this year members from the mosque are coming to visit our church.
I am hoping for a good turn-out, and for the forging of new relationships and inter-faith initiatives.

Glo, out of interest, what church do you attend? I'm not looking for specific details, just what does it look like? Is it an old stone one or a rather modern one?

Thanks sister.

glo
11-16-2009, 06:51 AM
It's an old stone one, about 150 years old.
Why do you ask, Supreme?

mariyyah
11-16-2009, 10:20 AM

Hi Glo,

"Lakum deenukum waliya deen" , This is you took it from our holly quran and this is talking about our religion the islam and it is an arabic phrase i really surprise why you are using it and you are a christian and not muslim ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
glo
11-16-2009, 04:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariyyah
Hi Glo,

"Lakum deenukum waliya deen" , This is you took it from our holly quran and this is talking about our religion the islam and it is an arabic phrase i really surprise why you are using it and you are a christian and not muslim ?
To be honest, I use it more as reminder to my Muslim friends here that I have received God's freedom to chose my faith and live it.

Salaam, sister. :)

Supreme
11-16-2009, 04:59 PM
It's an old stone one, about 150 years old.
Why do you ask, Supreme?
I'm incredibly interested in Christian architecture. The beauty and variety that's out there. My church is personally modern, recently converted from a shop (apparantly there's a growing Christian population in my area). But yeah. Back on topic and stuff.

mariyyah
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM
To be honest, I use it more as reminder to my Muslim friends here that I have received God's freedom to chose my faith and live it.

Salaam, sister. :)
I wish if you could accept islam as your religion believe me you will never regret it and this phrase will suits you so so much trust me

Grace Seeker
11-17-2009, 03:21 AM
I was looking at all of the different events that are being held throughtout the week. Is this indicative that there is grassroots support among members of a variety of different faiths, or (perhaps cynically) more that their leadership is capable of organizing events and putting out a media campaign?

ardianto
11-17-2009, 03:31 AM
I think Interfaith Week is a good event, and I hope in the next Interfaith Week no one forget to send me 'Jakarta-London-Jakarta' airplane ticket. :D

ardianto
11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
There is no compulsion in religion.
But remember, if you chose a religion that's means you must obey the rules of that religion.
Be a good believer in your faith, Glo.

Salam. :)

Pygoscelis
11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
I think this interfaith week is a wonderful idea and I wish we had the same here in Ontario.

Eric H
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Pygoscelis;

I went to an interfaith conference today at a Hindu Temple, there were people from many faiths and also secular humanists. About a dozen police attended including the chief constable for Hampshire, a cabinet minister, the Mayor and councillors.

I mentioned Street Pastors at the conference, and said it would be a wonderful initiative to have interfaith pastors out on the streets. We would be seen walking side by side, and supporting each other, it would be a visible sign of communities working together.

It would be a good support for faith groups that suffer harassment. It would be a great joy to pray with each other, and to pray for each other, as well as pray for the communities needs.

As a voluntary group Street Pastors confronts, alcohol problems, anti social behaviour, we provide a listening ear to very troubled people. We look for the good that exists in all people, I cannot think of any negative reasons not to have interfaith pastors.

We shall wait and see if anything transpires, it is in the hands of God, if we can work together.

In the spirit of praying for greater interfaith cooperation

Eric

glo
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Eric, I think street pastors would be a great initiative to broaden out to people of other faiths and none.
Interfaith events and activities really become meaningful, when people manage to lay aside their differences and draw on their shared beliefs and values to work for the greater good - rather than using up time and energy to preach to others or try to convert followers of other faiths!

Amadeus85
11-20-2009, 10:04 AM
I think that this is the best interfaith dialogue

http://blog.beliefnet.com/news/2009/...up-to-conv.php

The rest is only watering of doctrine, tradition and teachings.

سيف الله
11-20-2009, 02:05 PM
become meaningful, when people manage to lay aside their differences and draw on their shared beliefs and values to work for the greater good - rather than using up time and energy to preach to others or try to convert followers of other faiths!
Salaam

I used to think like this but I realised this is from my perspective a naïve way of looking at the world. There is dignity in difference.

I don’t think its possible just to ‘lay aside’ differences. Should people completely hide my beliefs just to fit in? (Applies to all people who are religious non religious etc) As if there is something wrong or shameful about being different from others.

Whether we like it or not humans have beliefs, ideas, and ways of thinking that are not compatible or reconcilable and there’s no point trying to pretend otherwise.

To quote from Keith Ward (He’s having a debate with an atheist).

‘But the plain fact is that each of us thinks the other is slightly mad - either I see things that are not there, or he fails to see things that are right in front of him. Either I am deluded or he is blind. What can we do about this? Nothing. We just have to go on being as reasonable as we can within the limits of the way we ultimately see the world - which we cannot help or choose'.
Probably a more realistic alternative is that we have to accept and tolerate that we are different, but despite these differences we can still work together on issues of common interest or at least try to understand the other persons point of view.

But yeah I generally agree with these initiatives if sincerely and honestly done, its good to learn from others.

glo
11-20-2009, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

I used to think like this but I realised this is from my perspective a naïve way of looking at the world. There is dignity in difference.

I don’t think its possible just to ‘lay aside’ differences. Should people completely hide my beliefs just to fit in?

But yeah I generally agree with these initiatives if sincerely and honestly done, its good to learn from others.
No, I don't think people should hide their beliefs to fit in.

Instead I think people should aim to accept/tolerate the different beliefs others have for the sake of joining resources, time and energy to work for the greater good in this world - rather than spending those resources, time and energy to fight and squabble over before-mentioned differences in beliefs.

If I can help ease problems such as world hunger, human trafficking or pollution etc together with other people, then the priority should be that we all have the same aim - not that we have different ideologies or beliefs to support them.

Does that make sense?

سيف الله
11-21-2009, 12:57 AM
Salaam

Hmmmmmmm you’ve got me thinking.

I understand your sentiments; I guess I have a slightly different approach.

These 'squabbles' (dialogue) though never-ending and at times frankly irksome at times need to be had if were ever going to understand each other’s different cultures, customs, attitudes, ideas etc etc. These can’t be simply be rode roughshod over.

People and groups have their own approaches to dealing with societal problems the question for me is, can it be integrated in way that we solve the problem while keeping everybody reasonably involved and happy. Tricky and to be fair to the British government does do its best, it’s a tightrope to walk.

Another point is can I trust you? If problems are going to be solved were going to need to trust each others motives and intentions, that takes time to build up a long time.

Aye I know the cynic within me, need to keep that under control or Ill become like Fletch :exhausted

glo
11-21-2009, 02:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Junon
Salaam

Hmmmmmmm you’ve got me thinking.

I understand your sentiments; I guess I have a slightly different approach.

These 'squabbles' (dialogue) though never-ending and at times frankly irksome at times need to be had if were ever going to understand each other’s different cultures, customs, attitudes, ideas etc etc. These can’t be simply be rode roughshod over.
I agree that we need to gain an understanding and awareness of each others beliefs and values. That's an important part of interfaith working.

But there should also be a point when we can say 'I now understand better what you believe. I disagree with (some of) your beliefs, but I will try not to let that stop me from
  • being your friend,
  • continuing to understand you better, and
  • live and work side-by-side with you to make a better world.
'
At that point perhaps arguments and debates become unhelpful, at it is time to put theological or idealogical differences aside to focus on the common values.

People and groups have their own approaches to dealing with societal problems the question for me is, can it be integrated in way that we solve the problem while keeping everybody reasonably involved and happy. Tricky and to be fair to the British government does do its best, it’s a tightrope to walk.
If approaches to dealing with certain issues are so different that a common approach isn't achievable, then it is not an area for joint working.
That may depend on the issues and groups involved.
As a Christian I can see joint working on some issues as more likely/more successful with my non-believing friends than with my Muslim friends; and vice versa on other issues.

Either way, it is still worth exploring at all times whether there is enough common ground for working together successfully - even if the conclusion may sometimes be that it isn't ...

Another point is can I trust you? If problems are going to be solved were going to need to trust each others motives and intentions, that takes time to build up a long time.
How do you gauge whether you can trust me or not?
My guess is by talking to me and getting to know me.
(Again, I would argue that that's what interfaith working is about)

Aye I know the cynic within me, need to keep that under control or Ill become like Fletch :exhausted
Who is Fletch?? :?

Nice talking, Junon. :)

Grace Seeker
11-21-2009, 04:25 PM
Glo, a very well written post. I tried to give you rep points for it, but evidently I need to spread it around some more before I can. So, I'm just going to let everyone see how much I agree with what you just wrote.

سيف الله
11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Salaam

Not a bad reply, but the proof will be in the pudding :smile:

Who is Fletch??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re7v9pLZSgY

Eric H
12-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Greetings and peace be with you glo,

Just an update, the interfaith council are putting Interfaith pastors on their agenda for the next meeting, this seems like a small seed has been planted.

In the spirit of praying for a greater interfaith understanding

Eric

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.