/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music and Islam

AbdullahSyed
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
:sl:

This is only for the people that believe Music is haram.

Are songs like "Who is the loved one" By Sami Yusuf blasmephy?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
unitedmuslim73
11-24-2009, 08:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahSyed

This is only for the people that believe Music is haram.

Are songs like "Who is the loved one" By Sami Yusuf blasmephy?
It doesnt matter who the singer is, as long as there is music, it is considered haraam.

And associating Allah and his belove prophets with music is shirk.

and listen well to the song , you will notice that the letter 'd' should not have been inserted in word 'loved'

AbdullahSyed
11-28-2009, 02:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by unitedmuslim73
It doesnt matter who the singer is, as long as there is music, it is considered haraam.

and listen well to the song , you will notice that the letter 'd' should not have been inserted in word 'loved'
I agree Music is haram no doubt. But I just heard my cousin listening to Sami Yusuf song it made me wonder. If his songs were commiting even bigger sin by singing about Allah and prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. I do not get the last part about "loved" could you please elaborate?

unitedmuslim73
11-28-2009, 06:58 AM
the title said : who is the loved one?

the answer is definitely the prophet(peace be upon him).

but the use of past tense in the title indicate that the prophet was appreciated only during his life in our world...

We cant use past tense in such a phrase as it would mean that the prophet was loved by Allah only when he was in our world...and this idea is purely shirk.

It sounds strange to you that most muslims listen to arabic music or music relating to islamic beliefs. But music is haraam and whatever is the words, music will never turn halaal. And besides the prophet himself said tht in 73 groups, only 1 will enter jannat. and that 1 will be those who had sticked to islaam as the prophet and his beloved companions had done. Peace be upon them

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Insecured soul
11-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I see there have been a lot of hindi songs lately which has allah, subhan allah and such words. it really annoys me and they will say oh its no harm if there's someone who objects they call them fundamentalist

for me they are all morons

Sampharo
11-28-2009, 07:36 AM
^ English might not be your first language or something, but "He is the loved one" is not in any way past tense. Otherwise then what would "He WAS the loved one" be? There was no blasphemy in that statement or the words, and shirk is only when you associate worshipping other beings with God, no such intent or declaration was made in any way in that song.

Brother Abdullah, the music in the piece uses full instruments and therefore it is haram despite its subject. It is not Islamic if it breaks Islamic rulings, is it? Only duff (large tamborine without cymbals) can be used with anthems and nasheeds and it is allowed in Eid and weddings for women not at any time and not for men.

And God knows best

Muslimlearner
11-28-2009, 08:45 AM

And associating Allah and his beloved prophets with music is shirk.

can somebody explain this,pls.

AbdullahSyed
11-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Brother Abdullah, the music in the piece uses full instruments and therefore it is haram despite its subject. It is not Islamic if it breaks Islamic rulings, is it? Only duff (large tamborine without cymbals) can be used with anthems and nasheeds and it is allowed in Eid and weddings for women not at any time and not for men.
My question is using name of Allah or Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him in sin. Like Music is sin then using name of Allah in music. Example: Writing something on swine which would be deemed religious would be considered blasphemous because swine being forbidden and something written on it religious in nature. I know the intent is different when it comes to music but still the scenario is similar.

AbdullahSyed
11-28-2009, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haqeeka'

can somebody explain this,pls.
Shirk (شرك) is the Islamic concept of the sin of polytheism specifically, but in a more general way refers to worshipping other than Allah

The person must have made an error.

czgibson
11-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by Sampharo
^ English might not be your first language or something, but "He is the loved one" is not in any way past tense.
You are right. The word 'loved' in that context is a passive verb being used in an adjectival sense. There is no reference to the past tense in the sentence.

Just another one of those things that makes the English language so maddeningly difficult!

Peace

Sampharo
11-29-2009, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AbdullahSyed
My question is using name of Allah or Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him in sin. Like Music is sin then using name of Allah in music. Example: Writing something on swine which would be deemed religious would be considered blasphemous because swine being forbidden and something written on it religious in nature. I know the intent is different when it comes to music but still the scenario is similar.
No there is no blasphemy, unless the words are insulting or blasphemous themselves.

unitedmuslim73
11-29-2009, 09:49 AM
No there is no blasphemy, unless the words are insulting or blasphemous themselves.
it does not matter about the words as long there is music present.

prophet had once said that a house where music is played for 40 days (consecutive), Shaytaan takes over the human body and make him do many things without the feeling of guilt. reported by Abu harayra

But some creed use this hadeeth to say tht naat is allowed as well as nasheed

Sampharo
11-29-2009, 11:13 AM
Brother please differentiate between haraam, and blasphemy. Blasphemy is when statement or action made that strikes directly at the sanctity and holiness of God and religion. In that singing the name of Allah and the prophet to music is haraam, just haraam. Blasphemy means kufr and shirk auuthu'billah and there needs to be specific proof of such acts being blasphemy before saying it is.

Second, nasheed and poetry is confirmed to be practiced and allowed in Islam and by the muslims who received the prophet in Hijra as well as in weddings and Eids to the sounds of dufoof.

No one here is saying naat made to human beat-boxes is allowed though.

unitedmuslim73
11-29-2009, 02:50 PM
I am sorry but i dont any hadith that says our prophet mention about nasheeds. According to scholars that best way to praise Allah is verses from the holy Quran. People uses nasheeds or naats to become more closer to Allah but there is no proof that the 4 caliphate of islam had done it. Although the wordings might be correct, none can guarantee nasheed as a mean of praising Allah. To be on the safest side, better listen to Quran recitation than nasheed.

Uthman
11-29-2009, 04:41 PM
The ruling on Islamic nasheeds

Kabeer
11-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Salaams,
Do you accept this is incorrect then?

Peace

AbdullahSyed
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thetruth2009
Assalam aleykoum,

Can people who think that music is haram, can you tell us how do you react with music in your daily life ?

- TV

- Radio

- Mobile phone

- Computer

- In shops ......

Thank you for your replies.

Assalam aleykoum.
lol

Not listening to music means choosing to not listen to music. Ofcourse, things that are out of your control is not a choice but forced upon you.

Muslimlearner
12-04-2009, 08:17 AM
Assalam aleykoum,

Can people who think that music is haram, can you tell us how do you react with music in your daily life ?

- TV

- Radio

- Mobile phone

- Computer

- In shops ......

Assalam aleykoum.
:wa:

I react like that:
-- TV: waching Islamic tv:Huda tv,Peace tv

- Radio:in the car:Nur Dubai,only with nasheeds

- Mobile phone-ringing with ,,dua for going to mosque,,

- Computer-where is the music here?Voice is off

- In shops ......ignoring and not seating in restorants we ask the waiter to turn off ,same in taxi.

And brother AbdullahSyed said it:

Not listening to music means choosing to not listen to music.

unitedmuslim73
12-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Assalam aleykoum,

- TV

- Radio

- Mobile phone

- Computer

- In shops ......

Assalam aleykoum.
This is often a great misinterpretation when we discuss about music...
When we say music is haraam, we mainly associate it as hobby, for leisure time and etc...
music is simply a compilation of sound...
Even during the time of prophet (pbuh) drums were used in order to let the people know that ther are being attack and were often used as signal...

but using drums in other occassions is simply haraam...Just take the horn of a taxi, if you are a driver and a muslim, you will be left with no choice than to use the horn for an upcoming danger...

And the beep sound of computer is music as well the sound of your fingers typing the keyboard but they are refered in another way....

What we expect people to understand is that dont let music take the place of your Quran and dont let music occupies ur past time....

Pygoscelis
12-07-2009, 09:54 PM
If you believe that music is forbidden to you, how could you function in the modern world? Everywhere I go there is music. Its in elevators. Its in shopping malls. Its on street corners. I can't control if I'll walk into it. Are muslim lands simply devoid of these things or are you to walk away or plug your ears or...?

unitedmuslim73
12-08-2009, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
If you believe that music is forbidden to you, how could you function in the modern world? Everywhere I go there is music. Its in elevators. Its in shopping malls. Its on street corners. I can't control if I'll walk into it. Are muslim lands simply devoid of these things or are you to walk away or plug your ears or...?
Its true music is every where and you cant turn it off every time but you can avoid some places as long as you feel they are of less importance. But if you cant turn it off, you can simply ignore it. It is your intention which is important. if we make the intention of listening to music then indeed we are on the wrong path but if we are just shopping and some music is played, it is not our fault and Allah knows the best. But you can also download some Quranic recitation and play it using a music device and use head set.

Rabi'ya
12-08-2009, 04:44 PM

it reminds me of a TopGear episode where the presenters all buy Leyland cars. they are parked in a car park and find the noises of the car. bangs and squeeks and start making a rhythm out of it. Just goes to show that there is music everywhere!

tango92
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pygoscelis
personally i found it quite easy making this transition

1. places playing music are usually ones to avoid anyway, like night clubs
2. most music is on tv, as a muslim I find tv distasteful (waste of time etc) - thats just my opinion though.
3. its not like your shopping all the time though, and when yu do need to go youd be surprised how many shops dont play music.

apart from that music doesnt really interfere with my life so much. i guess its just the lifestyle difference as a muslim that sheilds you from evil

czgibson
12-09-2009, 12:35 AM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
apart from that music doesnt really interfere with my life so much. i guess its just the lifestyle difference as a muslim that sheilds you from evil :shade:
Do you think music is evil?

Peace

mammyluty
12-09-2009, 01:27 AM
i wanted to ask when the prophet peace be upon him arrived in madina the answar and muhajirun welcomed them wth taala alal badru while beating some sort of drum wth shakers on its sides.i know music is haram bt what about nasheed?was tala ala badru a nasheed?

second someone told me long time ago that in wedding walima where thereis only women present in a private place they can play drums n sing songs that only educate the bride about marriege benefit.is it true?

Muslimlearner
12-09-2009, 01:51 PM
nasheed with no music is not haram,az well as dansing and singing with no music in weding with females in the room only

tango92
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Do you think music is evil?

Peace
lol, i knew you might ask that. first i meant it as a general statement.

I think the content of most music these days is evil. and just listening to "clean" music is a waste of time which you could otherwise spend in worship. - this reminds me of one of my favourite surahs - no 103
1.By Time!,
2.Man is surely in loss
3.except those who believed and did good works, and exhorted one another to Truth, and exhorted one another to patience."

after a while you get a bit addicted to it (yep im speaking from personal experience from my days of ignorance.)

so i guess its a bit like chess in that regard

unitedmuslim73
12-10-2009, 08:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Haqeeka'
nasheed with no music is not haram,az well as dansing and singing with no music in weding with females in the room only
Even the listening of nasheed is a highly debatable topic because the wordings are sometimes not correct and people might commit shirk. A simple example is the word 'Ya' before the prophet name. Allah has always address all prophets by word 'O' e.g O mohammad, O Ibrahim, O Moosa ( peace be upon them).

the word Ya is used only before ALLAH. we say Ya ALLah, for Allah is omnipresent but people give this status to the prophets and this is shirk...

Besides naats, nasheed, latmiyat can lure people easily, the prophet teach us that Quran recitation is the best guide for it contains of Allah, so why bother with words of his creation if we have words from the creator itself. not all nasheeds have wrong wordings but still it is not advisable the use of nasheeds inside masjid.

OurIslamic
12-10-2009, 08:10 PM
^ English might not be your first language or something, but "He is the loved one" is not in any way past tense. Otherwise then what would "He WAS the loved one" be? There was no blasphemy in that statement or the words, and shirk is only when you associate worshipping other beings with God, no such intent or declaration was made in any way in that song.

[...]

And God knows best
Jazakallah on saving me time from explaining this...I was about to go ballistic on this brother. :hiding:

Uthman
12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Brother unitedmuslim73, you're from Mauritius, right? My parents are also from Mauritius. :D

*Carry on*

Kabeer
12-12-2009, 06:51 PM
:sl:,
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
lol, i knew you might ask that. first i meant it as a general statement.

I think the content of most music these days is evil. and just listening to "clean" music is a waste of time which you could otherwise spend in worship. - this reminds me of one of my favourite surahs - no 103 :p
1.By Time!,
2.Man is surely in loss
3.except those who believed and did good works, and exhorted one another to Truth, and exhorted one another to patience."

after a while you get a bit addicted to it (yep im speaking from personal experience from my days of ignorance.)

so i guess its a bit like chess in that regard ;D
And online forums and general use of the internet. And pretty much any non-essential part of life?

Peace

Uthman
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
It is impossible to expect someone to understand why music is haram when s/he has not experienced the sweetness of the Quran. ~ Sheikh Yasir Qadhi

Kabeer
12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
:sl: Uthman,
format_quote Originally Posted by Uthmān
It is impossible to expect someone to understand why music is haram when s/he has not experienced the sweetness of the Quran. ~ Sheikh Yasir Qadhi
Please expand.

Peace.

Uthman
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
:wasalamex Kabeer,

format_quote Originally Posted by Kabeer
Please expand.
I'm not sure I can, to be honest. What I can do is direct you towards the following thread where the issue is dealt with in a conclusive and holistic manner: http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html

Kabeer
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
:wasalamex Kabeer,

I'm not sure I can, to be honest. What I can do is direct you towards the following thread where the issue is dealt with in a conclusive and holistic manner: http://www.islamicboard.com/worship-...an-sunnah.html
Wasalaam,

Thank you for the thread link.

I was more interested in the quote you gave. Am I to understand that you cannot expand on it because you don't fully understand it yourself, or rather it is inarticulatable?

Peace.

Uthman
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
:wasalamex

I was more interested in the quote you gave. Am I to understand that you cannot expand on it because you don't fully understand it yourself, or rather it is inarticulatable?
Neither. I just think it's rather self-explanatory. ;D

Having said that, I'm not aware of any explicit reason given in the Qur'an and/or Sunnah for why musical instruments are forbidden (not that there needs to be of course). So, from what I understand, Sheikh Yasir was talking about one of the benefits of musical instruments being forbidden and not necessarily the reason for it.

And Allah knows best.

I think I just expanded on it.

Kabeer
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
:wasalamex

Neither. I just think it's rather self-explanatory. ;D

Having said that, I'm not aware of any explicit reason given in the Qur'an and/or Sunnah for why musical instruments are forbidden (not that there needs to be of course). So, from what I understand, Sheikh Yasir was talking about one of the benefits of musical instruments being forbidden and not necessarily the reason for it.

And Allah knows best.

I think I just expanded on it.
Tbh that just confused me more ;). I dont think it is particularly self explanatory.
So the benefit is what? (im guessing that the benefit you speak of is you can not read the Quran instead?)

Peace.

Uthman
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
:salamext:

(im guessing that the benefit you speak of is you can not read the Quran instead?)
No, that's too general. More precisely, that it can be a factor in preventing a person from experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an.

Note that simply reading the Qur'an is one thing. But experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an is quite another. Many people have done the former. The latter not so many. When a person has truly experienced the sweetness of the Qur'an, then their soul would desire nothing else. I think that's at the heart of what the Sheikh is getting at.

Your objection to this would be that there are many other things which are halal that could prevent a person from experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an. Correct? Well, you're right and this is why I say that it is only a benefit of music being haraam and not necessarily the reason.

As for the main reason why a Muslim should not listen to musical instruments, then it is simple: because Allah and his messenger (:saws:) said so!

جوري
12-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Actually Br. Uthman pls allow me..
Not only was I an avid music listener but I played a couple of instruments and used to take piano lessons twice a week.. When I decided that I needed to memorize the Quran, I started listening to Music less and less, and at some point it really became difficult to sit down and listen to any music at all.. I think there are only two pieces that I still adore, and the first one hardly has any instruments an ars nova of the middle ages entitled douce dame jolie usually by a solo artist with little music in the back ground..

It isn't something that is self-explanatory or can be explained in words, you'll find that it just happens, the same way grays in your hair just happen...

Kabeer
12-15-2009, 06:44 PM
:salamext:

No, that's too general. More precisely, that it can be a factor in preventing a person from experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an.

Note that simply reading the Qur'an is one thing. But experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an is quite another. Many people have done the former. The latter not so many. When a person has truly experienced the sweetness of the Qur'an, then their soul would desire nothing else. I think that's at the heart of what the Sheikh is getting at.

Your objection to this would be that there are many other things which are halal that could prevent a person from experiencing the sweetness of the Qur'an. Correct? Well, you're right and this is why I say that it is only a benefit of music being haraam and not necessarily the reason.

As for the main reason why a Muslim should not listen to musical instruments, then it is simple: because Allah and his messenger (:saws:) said so!
Indeed you grasped what my objection would be. But even if one experiences the sweetness then it still doesnt make sense to me. As that sweetness would also dull the desire for many other (halal) things too.

(as for the legality thing you know it's been done many times before, and that wasnt what I wanted to go into with you, so i'll leave alone the last part :p).

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
Actually Br. Uthman pls allow me..
Not only was I an avid music listener but I played a couple of instruments and used to take piano lessons twice a week.. When I decided that I needed to memorize the Quran, I started listening to Music less and less, and at some point it really became difficult to sit down and listen to any music at all.. I think there are only two pieces that I still adore, and the first one hardly has any instruments an ars nova of the middle ages entitled douce dame jolie usually by a solo artist with little music in the back ground..

It isn't something that is self-explanatory or can be explained in words, you'll find that it just happens, the same way grays in your hair just happen...

Salaams Gossamer Skye,

Thank you for that, that was indeed very helpful and relatable to me. And it makes perfect sense because I have experienced it in other things.

Also Gossamer, ignoring listening to music, what about the times you play music? Im not speaking robotically, the ones you learn by chore, but the times it moves you? You even found it difficult to appreciate that?

Peace,
Kabeer

جوري
12-15-2009, 07:19 PM

Salaams Gossamer Skye,

Thank you for that, that was indeed very helpful and relatable to me. And it makes perfect sense because I have experienced it in other things.

Also Gossamer, ignoring listening to music, what about the times you play music? Im not speaking robotically, the ones you learn by chore, but the times it moves you? You even found it difficult to appreciate that?

Peace,
Kabeer
for me when I played I didn't get the same pleasure that I do when I write (as a hobby).. I can see how this is a job for some people.. when I was playing or practicing, it was about getting the notes right than appreciating the melody, in other words it was more fun for me to listen than play.. playing was more of a chore.. especially when I had to play pieces that I wasn't interested in.
Piano and the recorder were sort of forced on me in school, if I had my way I'd have rather the violin perhaps that is a part of it but I always knew that string instruments are the most difficult and I didn't want to bite more than I can chew..

Hope that makes sense insha'Allah?..
in the scheme of things I can't tell you how negligible it all is when you achieve a different level of pleasure ... if you find the right sheikh for a particular sura, it is elating .. you are certainly not asked to give up the joy of appreciating the melody of someone's voice or in nature (like the wind in the trees or the rustles of the leaves the songs of nightingale (bulbul) they too perform amazing symphonies..

and Allah swt knows best

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.