/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Muslim graves vandalised in Manchester

Blackpool
11-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I've just come across this on the muslim news website :hmm: Why wasn't this published in the media?

---------------------------
Muslim graves vandalised in Manchester

By Elham Asaad Buaras

Twenty Muslim graves were vandalised in a Manchester cemetery, following a BNP campaign against a local Islamic centre. Vandals targeted the Southern Cemetery on Barlow Moor Road, South Manchester on October 1.

Up to 20 gravestones had been pushed over and a number had broken.

Police said the attack is being treated as racially motivated as only Muslim graves were targeted.

One black marble headstone which reads “A beloved husband and father Abdul Rahman Dar” was dislodged. “I came to visit my father’s grave. I was shocked to find the stone had been pushed over. I cannot understand why people would do such a thing. I am very upset,” Habib Dar told The Muslim News.

In a statement to The Muslim News Det Con Rob Southern said, “This is the worst sort of vandalism imaginable. The graves of your loved ones should be a place where they can rest peacefully and that is absolutely sacrosanct.

“The families of those whose graves have been vandalised will be rightly traumatised and deeply upset. If we do catch the people who committed these atrocious acts, then they should be made to see the grief and pain they have caused.

“Sadly, we are treating this as a hate crime as only the Muslim section of gravestones were attacked. This sort of mindless, racist behaviour must be utterly condemned and I’m sure the whole community will be outraged.”

Unite against Fascism (UAF) believes the attackers were motivated by a British National Party (BNP) campaign against the Dar-ul-Ulum Qadria Jilania Islamic Centre.

BNP officials described the conversion of St John the Apostle and Evangelist church in St Johns Road Longsight Manchester into an Islamic centre as the, “Bloodless genocide and ethnic cleansing of the British people and culture.”

The BNP also posted a photograph of a broken Christian headstone on their website and said the, “Christian British graves, the only remnant of the now ethnically cleansed British people in the area, are obviously offensive to the Muslim colonisers, who have brought in the earthmoving machine to smash up the gravestones which are being literally crushed to rubble.”

The local council said the unidentified gravestones, was not part of the graveyard, which has not been used since 1966, but had been moved at some point to form pathways through a church garden, before being covered over.

The developers immediately ordered all work to stop. Council planning officers are now investigating.

The Islamic Centre’s trustee, Arshad Nawaz, said no grave has been intentionally destroyed. He said £50,000 had been spent to repair the church, which had become dilapidated over the years. The graves and gravestones had been “carefully preserved”, he added.

“We have never and will never intentionally disrespect or desecrate any grave regardless of its age and regardless of the caste creed or religion of the deceased.”

Longsight Councillor Maryam Khan said, “It doesn’t matter what religion you are, the dead need to be respected at all costs and my understanding is that that’s exactly what they are doing.

“Now the stones have been uncovered they’ve stopped work to find out what exactly they are. As far as I’m concerned they’ve not acted in any way that should cause offence.”

http://muslimnews.co.uk/paper/index.php?article=4310

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
JaffaCäke
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
I've just come across this on the muslim news website :hmm: Why wasn't this published in the media?
It was, in the Manchester Evening News about 6 weeks ago.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-19-2009, 04:58 AM
wow, that is really low :$

Ramadhan
11-19-2009, 08:37 AM
^ I agree. Its the lowest of low. The dead can't defend themselves

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S_87
11-19-2009, 06:46 PM
regardless of what people think of others, do vandalise a grave is, well whoever does that is either too full of hate or full of air between the ears

aadil77
11-19-2009, 07:44 PM
those guys must have been real 'hard men' to have it in them to do that

cat eyes
11-19-2009, 08:01 PM
:sl: i honestly don't know how anybody could be that cold i wonder how they would feel if somebody vandalised there mother or sister or brothers grave how they would feel then. ud have to be really cold thats all i can say!

Ramadhan
11-20-2009, 07:07 AM
^ they are just bunch of stupid cowards, thats all.

Uthman
11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Muslim graves hit for third time

Justufy
11-28-2009, 03:42 PM
this is a terrible act! no respect.

tango92
11-28-2009, 03:46 PM
check this out.

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifes...5A32L720091104

there were pictures in the paper yesterday but i wouldnt post them here. btw this guy gets of with some community service...

جوري
11-28-2009, 08:37 PM
what is community service in Manchester? handing out tissues to folks who pick their nose?
I can't think of anything more cowardly than vandalizing graves.. they are neither men enough to do it face to face or even against those possessing life, and not brave enough to do it in the day light so everyone can see ...:hmm:

A-Believer-25
11-28-2009, 08:43 PM
:sl:

That's so disrespectful! I can't believe how much hate people have now a days. :raging:

jannat
11-28-2009, 08:48 PM
i agree wid u guys, they are low, attacking graves, one day it might happen to them(i.e. the perpetrators). Khair, may Allah swt protect the muslims.

Uthman
11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Vigil after Muslim graves damaged

A vigil is to be held at Manchester's Southern Cemetery after Muslim graves were desecrated for the third time in two months.

The Unite Against Fascism peace vigil is due to take place at the cemetery on Barlow Moor Road, Chorlton at 1400 GMT.

Police are treating the latest attack, which happened between 20 and 23 November and left about 20 graves damaged, as racially-motivated.

Headstones were also damaged on 29 September and again three days later.

I hope they [the vandals] will try to understand the impact they're having on ordinary people

Rev Sarah Brewerton
Chorlton Central Church

Mark Krantz, from the Chorlton Unite Against Fascism group, said: "This attack is designed to hurt the living. It is meant to bring hurt, hatred, and division.

"Our response will be to build unity and solidarity."

Rev Sarah Brewerton, from Chorlton Central Church, added that she hoped the vigil would show a united front against racism.

"When you go to visit loved ones at a grave you are already in a distressed state. Even worse to then find the desecration," she said.

"We're hoping to gain some act of solidarity with our Muslim brothers and sisters in the community here in Manchester, but also as a statement that this is totally unacceptable behaviour.

"I think it is a very sad state of affairs and I hope they [the vandals] will try to understand the impact they're having on ordinary people."

Source

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.