/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Life for US soldier's Iraq crimes

S_87
11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
A former US soldier convicted of rape and murder while serving in Iraq will spend life in prison, a judge in the US state of Kentucky has confirmed.

Steven Green, 24, is to serve five consecutive life sentences for raping a 14-year-old Iraqi girl and killing her and her family near Baghdad in 2006.
Green was convicted in May but the jury could not unanimously agree a sentence and he was spared the death penalty.

Four other soldiers are serving time for their roles in the crime.

Three received life sentences, while the fourth was jailed for 27 months for acting as a lookout. Green was considered the ringleader.

International outrage

District Judge Thomas Russell on Friday confirmed that Green would have no chance of parole.

In 2006 Green and three other soldiers entered the home of 14-year-old Abeer Qassim al-Janabi near Mahmudiya, 30km (20 miles) south of Baghdad.

They shot dead her mother, father and sister, then raped Abeer before shooting her and setting fire to her remains.

The crime was planned while Green and the other soldiers drank and played card games at a traffic checkpoint where they were stationed.

The court heard that Green was seen by army mental health professionals after he had talked about a desire to kill Iraqi civilians.

He was sent back to his unit with medication to help him sleep after a nurse concluded he would not act out his thoughts.

The defence argued there was a lack of military leadership in the 101st Airborne Division.

The BBC's Imtiaz Tyab in Washington says that when details of the killings were revealed months after they took place, they sparked international outrage and led to the retaliatory killing of several US soldiers by Iraqi insurgents.

Green was discharged from the 101st Airborne before the case came to light.

He was the first ex-soldier to be charged under a US law that allows prosecution for crimes committed overseas.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8239206.stm

dont we love the free civilised world for trying to sort out the backwards islamic world

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
11-19-2009, 07:01 PM
:sl:
Why not death penalty? He commited murder AND rape. What gives?

AlHoda
11-19-2009, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
I absolutly agree, why do they want to keep such a monster alive!:raging:
:wa:

MSalman
11-19-2009, 07:22 PM
she was just an Islamist so who cares, they were only trying to liberate her and gave her peaceful death & freed her from all these barbaric Islamic rulings.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AlHoda
11-19-2009, 07:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiclife
she was just an Islamist so who cares, they were only trying to liberate her and gave her peaceful death & freed her from all these barbaric Islamic rulings.
:sl: I don't think being raped and killed and your remains being put in fire is a peaceful death. I'm sorry but are we reading here the same story?

GuestFellow
11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlHoda
:sl: I don't think being raped and killed and your remains being put in fire is a peaceful death. I'm sorry but are we reading here the same story?

I think he's being sarcastic.

Uthman
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow

I think he's being sarcastic.
:salamext:

I know he's being sarcastic!

Supreme
11-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Justice to one is different to justice to another. I'm not sure if it's very Christian to wish death on anyone, even abominations like that man, so I'll reserve judgement for the time being. That is the responsibility of the Almighty in the hereafter.

Ramadhan
11-20-2009, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Justice to one is different to justice to another. I'm not sure if it's very Christian to wish death on anyone, even abominations like that man, so I'll reserve judgement for the time being. That is the responsibility of the Almighty in the hereafter.

Why would life sentence be better than a death sentence?

Actually, in many cases like this case, death sentence is better for everyone involved for so many reasons.

Supreme
11-20-2009, 12:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
Why would life sentence be better than a death sentence?

Actually, in many cases like this case, death sentence is better for everyone involved for so many reasons.
Especially as taxpayers we should have a right to say. But US justice is at any rate better than UK justice. If he's have come here, he'd have gotten a slap on the wrist and a £200 fine at most. The Baby P case, where a little toddler had the **** kicked out of him until his spine broke (Police didn't find a single piece of clothing of his without blood on), involved the perpetrators getting around 5-10 years each. It's murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Baby_P

A post-mortem revealed he had swallowed a tooth after being punched. Other injuries included a broken back, broken ribs, having the tips of fingers sliced off, and nails pulled out.
Horrifying.

titus
11-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Is it any different than blowing up a plane full of people and being greeted as a hero by your country? Both societies have their share of hypocrites.

Maryan0
11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by titus
Is it any different than blowing up a plane full of people and being greeted as a hero by your country? Both societies have their share of hypocrites.
This topic isn't about somebody blowing up a plane full of people it is about a young girl who was raped and murdered by occupiers on her land.
If something is wrong just condemn it for being wrong.
If you want condemnation for people blowing up planes and being hailed as heros than do make a topic about it.

kamran javed
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
idolaters and curse
can any one tell the mean of this

kamran javed
11-20-2009, 05:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa0
This topic isn't about somebody blowing up a plane full of people it is about a young girl who was raped and murdered by occupiers on her land.
If something is wrong just condemn for being wrong.
If you want condemnation for people blowing up planes and being hailed as heros than do make a topic about it.
salam . i can make a topic but can't write in elglish . cuz i can write littel bit eng.

Fטлку
11-20-2009, 05:40 PM
^ Idolater is someone who worships Idols and Curse is when you wish misfortune upon someone :)

Maryan0
11-20-2009, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by kamranjaved2004
salam . i can make a topic but can't write in elglish . cuz i can write littel bit eng.
I can understand what your saying so I think others may be ableto understand you too.
so you should just go ahead with whatever topic you want to make
hope that helps
salam

titus
11-20-2009, 05:58 PM
If something is wrong just condemn for being wrong.
I am pointing out something that I see as wrong.

These men were wrong and deserve their punishment, if not more.

What bothers me are two things.

One is that every topic like this has to be turned into a "Muslim vs the World" issue with the Muslims as victims. In fact the purpose of this topic, I believe, was to perpetuate this "us poor Muslims are always the victim" mentality. If Muslims want to continue in this mindset then feel free. It has become a self fulfilling prophecy. Only when Muslims stop living this mindset will they be able to change anything about it.

The other is the hypocrisy I see in elements of Muslim society that would denounce this act, yet at the same time not have a problem with a Muslim leader treating a Muslim mass murderer as a hero when gets out of jail.

Maryan0
11-20-2009, 06:10 PM
I am pointing out something that I see as wrong.

These men were wrong and deserve their punishment, if not more.

What bothers me are two things.

One is that every topic like this has to be turned into a "Muslim vs the World" issue with the Muslims as victims. In fact the purpose of this topic, I believe, was to perpetuate this "us poor Muslims are always the victim" mentality. If Muslims want to continue in this mindset then feel free. It has become a self fulfilling prophecy. Only when Muslims stop living this mindset will they be able to change anything about it.
the poster of this topic just posted an article stating a factual event I dont where you got the muslim vs. world theory, and even if this turned into such a topic I don't think it would be far-fetched.

The other is the hypocrisy I see in elements of Muslim society that would denounce this act, yet at the same time not have a problem with a Muslim leader treating a Muslim mass murderer as a hero when gets out of jail.
Like I said in my previous post if that's they way you feel about it make a topic about it, this topic is about an iraqi girl who was raped and murdered along with her family and the U.S soldier who commited the crime being punished. I really don't see how the blowing up of planes is even connected this topic, if you want to make a topic on the lockerbie bomber whom I assume you are refering to you are free to do so.
if something is wrong condemn it for being wrong and move on.

titus
11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
the poster of this topic just posted an article stating a factual event I dont where you got the muslim vs. world theory
I got is from a poster who claimed that these people were killed because they were Muslim. In fact I quoted their statement in my post.

Nowhere have I seen anything that would make someone conclude that this family was killed because they were Muslim. Nowhere. Anyone making such a statement is making it out of pure conjecture unless they are privy to some information that I have not been able to find about these men.

and even if this turned into such a topic I don't think it would be far-fetched.
Is that why you ask me to stay on topic and only discuss the article and condemn the act, but don't even notice when another poster fabricates motives for these men?

Maryan0
11-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I got is from a poster who claimed that these people were killed because they were Muslim. In fact I quoted their statement in my post.
Even if they were not killed because they were muslim explicitly, the fact that they are muslim and they fact that they were killed under unlawful occupation would make any muslim angry. This is an Islamic forum.

Nowhere have I seen anything that would make someone conclude that this family was killed because they were Muslim. Nowhere. Anyone making such a statement is making it out of pure conjecture unless they are privy to some information that I have not been able to find about these men.
I find it interesting that you would grasp onto something said in sarcasm and most likely anger and over analyze it to the extent you just did.

Is that why you ask me to stay on topic and only discuss the article and condemn the act, but don't even notice when another poster fabricates motives for these men?
If you cared so much about finding out whether the poster was serious about the comment he probably said in sarcasm and anger you should have asked him, either that or you could have asked that this topic not turn into a "muslim vs. world". If anything you chose to make this topic into a muslim vs. the world topic when you brought up the bombing of planes in comparison to this crime instead of fully condemning it and I still fail to see how the lockerbie bomber fits into all of this.

A young girl was raped and murdered along with her family and you bring up the bombing of planes if anyone needs their motives checked it's you

Ar-RaYYan
11-20-2009, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
He is an american soldier who fought for his country and people and raping and killing a 14 year-old iraqi and her family isnt a justifiable reason to give him a death penalty apparently. In other words it is not worth to take away his life just because he killed muslim civilians.

titus
11-23-2009, 08:48 AM
If you cared so much about finding out whether the poster was serious about the comment he probably said in sarcasm and anger you should have asked him, either that or you could have asked that this topic not turn into a "muslim vs. world".
Sorry, I'm not going to ask every person that posts whether they meant their post or not before replying. Blame me for turning this into an "us vs them" post if you want, but I was simply replying to someone elses post.

A young girl was raped and murdered along with her family and you bring up the bombing of planes if anyone needs their motives checked it's you
I brought it up to make a point. If you missed the point so be it.

I said that these men deserved their punishment, if not more. Maybe you missed it. If it was up to me they would be sitting on death row right now and not just serving a life sentence. They are animals and deserve to be put down like animals.

Maryan0
11-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Sorry, I'm not going to ask every person that posts whether they meant their post or not before replying. Blame me for turning this into an "us vs them" post if you want, but I was simply replying to someone elses post.

Well I assumed since you were constantly refering to that persons post when I asked you why you brought the bombing of planes in this topic that it was something specific you had a problem with. In your own words you were quoting that specific poster. So if it was something specific you had a problem with and you already felt the need to quote that poster about it, why not just ask about the information you think he was privy to in reference to these soldiers motives? why turn the topic into what you apparently have such a problem with?

I brought it up to make a point. If you missed the point so be it.
I didnt miss the point I just dont see the importance of bringing up some random event that has nothing to do with the topic at hand to make it. If your point was that this topic shouldnt turn into a muslim vs. world topic you could have just stated that.

I said that these men deserved their punishment, if not more. Maybe you missed it. If it was up to me they would be sitting on death row right now and not just serving a life sentence. They are animals and deserve to be put down like animals.
I agree, and it should have been left at that.

titus
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
why not just ask about the information you think he was privy to in reference to these soldiers motives?
Because this information doesn't exist. I have read multiple news reports about this and not one of them even hinted at anti-Muslim hatred being a reason.

anatolian
11-26-2009, 03:49 PM
1. I don't have so much knowledge of the American judicial system but I know the death penalty exist in the US, at least some states. What would happen if such an event happened there?

2. If you don't have enough power to judge a foreigner soldier in your country for a crime commited in your own country what is the purpose of having an 'indepented' state?

MSalman
11-27-2009, 09:27 PM
titus, would i suggest that stop living a disney world and look around yourself with open eyes?

Danah
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
He is an american soldier who fought for his country and people and raping and killing a 14 year-old iraqi and her family isnt a justifiable reason to give him a death penalty apparently. In other words it is not worth to take away his life just because he killed muslim civilians.
I wonder if it was an iraqi soldier who did that to an American girl with her family how many times he will taste death by being tortured before being getting his death penalty.

cat eyes
11-27-2009, 09:47 PM
and he is not the only soldier thats done this there will be other pig rapist killers doing it also and getting away with it. i hope he gets his fat american ass kicked in prison and i am happy there is justice in america this is going to highlight the real problems in iraq that are hidden and in any country thats invaded!!!!.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.