/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should muslims go into churches?

Esther462
11-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Should muslims go into Churches?

My family are christans and most of my friends are christan too. The only way I see them is to go to there church once a month.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
My mother is having health problems and she requested me to go to church and pray for her there that she will gets better since I stopped going to church with her and my father for few months now. When I stopped, they were very upset at first and seemingly like every single Sunday comes up, they expected highly that I would get dressed and go with them, but I never did. So, is it permissible to go to church with the intention just to make them happy, especially my mother?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

With regard to a Muslim merely entering a Christian church, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars. The majority are of the view that it is forbidden, but some of the Hanbalis said that it is makrooh, whereas others said that it is permissible. This has been discussed in the answer to question number 111832, where we determined that the most correct view is that it is makrooh.

But we should differentiate between going to churches in cases where there is no kind of veneration or respect of them and of their religion, and going to churches in cases where that is the case.

In the answer to question number 82836, we mentioned some of the negative consequences involved in going to churches to hold academic meetings, and we have also pointed out that we should avoid calling people to Islam in the churches if the aim behind that is to humiliate the Muslim. See the answer to question number 11232.

The disapproval of going to churches, or the permission to enter them, includes those who go there to listen to what they recite of the distorted Bible or their claim that God has a son, and fabricate laws and regulations that are not part of the revelation. Rather with regard to these matters there is no doubt that they are forbidden, and it is not permissible for anyone to attend these in order to be nice or to please anyone, even if they are our parents. This has already been quoted from the scholars of the Standing Committee in the first question referred to above. Entering churches in such cases is permissible in cases of necessity, such as when a Muslim is forced to do so in a real sense by another party, whether it is an individual or a group, that is able to punish him in a manner that he cannot bear. If he can get out of going to the church, then it is not permissible for him to continue doing so.

Secondly:

What we think in your case is that you are not being forced; rather it is for the purpose of pleasing your parents. Based on that, we do not think that you should go to the church with them.

What we advise you to do in this situation is:

1. Be kind and gentle in your dealings with your parents, show the greatest respect, take care of them and look after them, especially your sick mother. By means of this treatment, you can make them forget about forcing you to go to the church with them, let alone get angry with you for not going.

2. Give an appropriate excuse which will not make them be angry with you, such as staying home to study, or to receive a guest or friend, or other acceptable excuses.

3. Avoid attacking their religion directly, or making fun of what is said in the church.

4. Try to divert them from going there, whilst offering a convincing excuse, which is the fact that huge numbers of their fellow Christians do not go to church. It is better to offer statistics concerning that, that have to do with your country.

5. Do not fall short in calling them to Islam in a kind manner, by means of booklets, cassettes, visiting Islamic websites, and Islamic satellite channels such as the al-Huda channel in English.

6. Be patient and seek reward with Allaah for whatever of harsh treatment you receive from them, or anger, because of your not going with them. We ask Allaah to make that weigh heavily in your balance on the Day that you meet Him.

7. Always say du’aa’ for them to be guided, and seek the good times for supplication, such as the last third of the night, and strive to do so in the best of situations for the believer, which is whilst prostrating in prayer.

We ask Allaah to help you in your difficulty, and to make you steadfast in adhering to truth and guidance, and to guide your parents and honour you with seeing them as Muslims and as believers in the Oneness of their Lord, may He be exalted, and to admit you all to His Paradise.

We welcome your correspondence with us and hope to hear good news from you with your parents. May Allaah decree guidance for them and we hope to hear this good news.

And Allaah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A
similar situation hope this helps

Fishman
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
What harm can there be? As long as they aren't crazy fundementalists or Jehovah's Witnesses or something, it will probably be a fairly pleasant experience.

Danah
11-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I know a revert sis with a similar problem. Her case is that she is only 16 years old and they will not allow her to stay at home when they are going to church at Sundays since the church is not close to the home. So she is forced to go with them. The worst thing is that her mother doesn't allow her to enter the church wearing hijab so she force her to take it off to avoid people looks inside the church.

May Allah help her, I think if she was a bit older, her situation won't be like that.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
11-26-2009, 03:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
What harm can there be? As long as they aren't crazy fundementalists or Jehovah's Witnesses or something, it will probably be a fairly pleasant experience.
What? Would u think going there and "praying" at the church is a pleasant experience?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do have a question about this. Would you be allowed to work there? Like not directly in the church but like some neutral job. Although I wonder, what part of it is neutral...you'd sort of be supporting it..

kamran javed
11-26-2009, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
Should muslims go into Churches?

My family are christans and most of my friends are christan too. The only way I see them is to go to there church once a month.
what u r saying about hazrat esa al a salm. who is he

Supreme
11-26-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't see why not. Churches can be the most beautiful buildings on the planet, and finding out about the religion of others is always a good thing. I think we has a Muslim guest at our church a while back. As long as you don' worship in it, then everyone should be fine with it.

cat eyes
11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
:sl:i think its best to keep away from churches and arrange another place where you can see them like get your parents to invite them around for lunch and tea. im telling you this because its best not to enter them as the angels do not enter that place where there is idols and pictures especially crosses so that gives perfect chance for shaytan to start whispering to you to start worshiping these things.

i know of one story where a girl actually did the same thing as you, went along to the church and before she knew it she was committing shirk so its really not worth it sis. my dad tryed to force me to go to church and i told my dad you will have to drag me out of here because i am not going. the reason why my dad was angry is because my father stopped being religious since my mum died so we never went to mass and every year he'd force himself and the family to attend a mass at the graves where the priest blesses the grave.

but as soon as my family came home with relatives he was fine and made him tea and met my relatives so it was all good. :D

Woodrow
11-26-2009, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
I think it would depend a lot on the denominations attitude towards Islam and if they are not a denomination that tries to force it's beliefs upon others. In some denominations such as Catholic a person can only be a visitor/observer and is forbidden to participate in the worship unless they are Catholic. In other denominations such as Assembly of God a visitor is expected to participate in the worship.

Rabi'ya
11-26-2009, 06:35 PM
:sl:

I like churches. they're pretty :)

Esther462
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
:sl:i think its best to keep away from churches and arrange another place where you can see them like get your parents to invite them around for lunch and tea. im telling you this because its best not to enter them as the angels do not enter that place where there is idols and pictures especially crosses so that gives perfect chance for shaytan to start whispering to you to start worshiping these things.
My family's church is very plan inside. It's a converted office block.
I can't invite them for tea as I live in a shared house there is no room. I do see my parents one a week at there house but the rest of my family I only see at the church. My christen friends I can only see at church as they are buzy during the week.

GuestFellow
11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
I've been to a church for a school trip. No big deal.

cat eyes
11-26-2009, 08:47 PM
well whether its plain or not i dont think a muslim should be attending christcian masses no point advising her as she clearly has little knowlegde abt the dangerz of it so think let brother hamza answer this one as he always gives a good detailed answer! Walking into a church is not a big deal! Attending an actual mass is a different thing entirely!

cat eyes
11-26-2009, 09:18 PM
:sl:i bascially don't rely on islam Q&A and the fatwas that they give to people sometimes do not sound right and so do my friends dnt take advice from islam Q&A! As they easily name people kafirz and encourage divorce! So i strongly believe that even if önes parents are forcing there child to go and worship idols and are getting beaten! That dose not mean they should do what they say! They still should refuse its Allah that we should fear and not any human! A human can beat me til im near dead id still refuse to follow a kafir

YusufNoor
11-27-2009, 01:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
My family's church is very plan inside. It's a converted office block.
I can't invite them for tea as I live in a shared house there is no room. I do see my parents one a week at there house but the rest of my family I only see at the church. My christen friends I can only see at church as they are buzy during the week.

well, there is no talking during mass, is here? so the point of being inside would be?

why can you just wait for them outside? get there when mass is nearly over.

or substitute the word service for mass. don't know what they call it nowadays...

:wa:

Woodrow
11-27-2009, 02:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

well, there is no talking during mass, is here? so the point of being inside would be?

or substitute the word service for mass. don't know what they call it nowadays...

Mass is used primarily by Catholics and Orthodox

Service is used by most Ptotestants

Meeting is used by some of the various holiness Churches

Other terms used by various denominations: Study, Lecture, and a lot of others names usually accompanied with words like Worship, Prayer, Communion

Supreme
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Mass is used primarily by Catholics and Orthodox

Service is used by most Ptotestants

Meeting is used by some of the various holiness Churches

Other terms used by various denominations: Study, Lecture, and a lot of others names usually accompanied with words like Worship, Prayer, Communion

Sermon? 12char

Woodrow
11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Sermon? 12char
True, sermon is used by quite a few churches

Esther462
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

Mass is a Catholic thing. My family attened a free evangelical church so there is loads of singing, dancing and praying. When they leave the meetings, they are in a hurry to get home so I can't really see them outside the building.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.