/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why must you be better than I?

mahi
11-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Before I go on, let me just put in that I'm not the greatest at getting my views across, so apologies.

This thread comes after me being quite bored with the number of replies a thread gets, with regular debate/argument between muslims, christians, atheists, etc. I mean there's quite a lot of posts from muslims that some parts of the Bible are immoral because of this and that and vice versa and not just on this forum.

The point I'm trying to make, isn't it kind of stupid to go around pushing our views into others, and defending them? What for? Some sort of pride? Or because to try and show ones belief as best as possible? I know not many can write this post without being hypocritcal, but I'm just trying to get a message acrorss.

I'm imagining if people spent time discussing solutions to various things. Like you know, the conflict in Israel/Palestine, and I mean solutions, not who's right and who's wrong. Solutions for the gobal poverty, of those incredibly skinny children whom we see in the media, we feel guilt but don't do much. And solutions to so many other problems. I mean, we have charities, but yet why are so many suffering? You know, me and you, we're lucky. We can talk on forums with each other. But so many people are crying for the right to breathe freely and in contrast I feel stupid. There's solutions, but they come from somewhere, and that somewhere is from the minds of you and I. Isn't that a better way to spend in discussion?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Grace Seeker
12-01-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm trusting that Muslims, like Christians, are capable of doing both at the same time. That is we can be involved in trying to alievate the effects of evil and the causes of suffering in the world, AND also share/defend our faith story with others. It isn't either/or, but both/and with most of us.

But I would agree with you that in doing so we don't need to subject others to put downs and ridicule to tell our own faith story. Those that seem to feed this need, I project as being internally insecure with regard that which they ridicule in others.

I'm glad that you raised the question. Something we must each of us do from time to time is stop and look at ourselves and ask are we living in keeping with our core values and relating to others as our respective faiths have called us to? Your questions and the season(s) many of have just been through or will soon be entering make this a particularly appropriate time to ask those introspective questions.

MSalman
12-01-2009, 03:47 AM
I agree with some parts of it; however the saying goes something like "worry about yourself before worrying about others". so before thinking about solutions for other people's problem, you should worry about solution for your own problems and how to achieve salvation. As you learn that basic then you can jump to other issues.

Discussing solutions to major issues around the world is not going to benefit anyone because almost 100% of times, it is just a discussion and nothing is achieved in practicality, meaning solutions are not implemented or cannot be implemented or not possible to be implemented. So all that time and effort is nothing but waste because at the end of the day, the little bit benefit is out weighted by the wasted time and effort which could have been used to achieve other easier things

on contrary, discussions related our purpose of life are directly related to us and can benefit us because we can implement these sort of "solutions" without much struggle.

Seeker1066
12-01-2009, 04:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahi
Before I go on, let me just put in that I'm not the greatest at getting my views across, so apologies.

This thread comes after me being quite bored with the number of replies a thread gets, with regular debate/argument between muslims, christians, atheists, etc. I mean there's quite a lot of posts from muslims that some parts of the Bible are immoral because of this and that and vice versa and not just on this forum.

The point I'm trying to make, isn't it kind of stupid to go around pushing our views into others, and defending them? What for? Some sort of pride? Or because to try and show ones belief as best as possible? I know not many can write this post without being hypocritcal, but I'm just trying to get a message acrorss.

I'm imagining if people spent time discussing solutions to various things. Like you know, the conflict in Israel/Palestine, and I mean solutions, not who's right and who's wrong. Solutions for the gobal poverty, of those incredibly skinny children whom we see in the media, we feel guilt but don't do much. And solutions to so many other problems. I mean, we have charities, but yet why are so many suffering? You know, me and you, we're lucky. We can talk on forums with each other. But so many people are crying for the right to breathe freely and in contrast I feel stupid. There's solutions, but they come from somewhere, and that somewhere is from the minds of you and I. Isn't that a better way to spend in discussion?
I think that people of all faiths or even no faith worry about the hungry. They worry about those caught in war or the homeless. Why spend so much time discussing religion? Well those believers of the Mono-Theistic faiths believe that there is but one God. If you believed that you were following the one faith that the One God asked of mankind. That this faith was essential to avoid punishment and attain heaven. That this choice was eternal. Would you not share it? Feeding a poor man is important. Leading a poor man to salvation is no less and eternally much more important. This is why I care.
Peace to you,
Troy

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pygoscelis
12-02-2009, 07:35 AM
People on a comparative religion forum are going to squabble about their religions, just as people on a political forum will squabble about their politics. It is difficult discussing these things without personalizing them. This is especially so given the tribal and deep personal nature of religion and doubly so when one's religion specifies that it is the only true faith and commands its adherents to spread its influence. Gives people a motivation to push their side and a sensitivity to criticism of it.

alcurad
12-02-2009, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahi
I'm imagining if people spent time discussing solutions to various things. Like you know, the conflict in Israel/Palestine, and I mean solutions, not who's right and who's wrong.
ok this might be off topic but isn't it important getting that cleared? I mean how is justice going to be served if we don't have a right and a wrong?

Khaldun
12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
:sl:

The truth is one and will always remain as one.

Jews think they are upon guidance just as muslims and christians do. And it is a must that a person shares this guidance with others. It is one thing for me to debate and talk about how Judaism or Christinaty are wrong and how Islam is right and another thing for me to force people to accept my view.

There is no force or shoving of ideas down peoples throats here at all, rather it is an open discussion.

There is no compulsion in the religion, certainly right has been distinguished from wrong. [Suraah Baqraah]

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!