/* */

PDA

View Full Version : do we have to marry?

AnonymousPoster
12-01-2009, 12:01 AM
:sl: just a simple question inshaAllah basically somebody told me the one who dose not marry in this dunya is not from among us.. i want to know is this true? and could anyone produce a hadith if it is true. because i know some people who do not wish to marry and are happy to live the single life and they are good strong independent people. jazakAllah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Insecured soul
12-01-2009, 02:00 AM
salaam alaikum sister/brother

Yes as far as i know that is correct and it goes that our prophet pbuh said a muslim who does not marry is not from our community and i guess the practical reason for that is if everyone wish not to marry then what will happen to our community? this is also one of the reason i despise gays and lesbians because they cannot produce and they always recruit

im sure soon someone will give quotations

جوري
12-01-2009, 03:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Adib Shaikh
salaam alaikum sister/brother

Yes as far as i know that is correct and it goes that our prophet pbuh said a muslim who does not marry is not from our community and i guess the practical reason for that is if everyone wish not to marry then what will happen to our community? this is also one of the reason i despise gays and lesbians because they cannot produce and they always recruit

im sure soon someone will give quotations
lol.. you should coin that ''they cannot produce and they always recruit'' I like it ;D;D;D

some people can't get married through no fault of their own, but I can't conceive of anyone wanting to be alone and not married.. so the difference is in the intention and Allah swt knows best..

:wa:

MSalman
12-01-2009, 03:50 AM
As-salamu alaykum

Marriage is musthabb (reconmended) sunnah and one should get married if he has no legitimate excuses (i.e., he want spend his time and effort spreadin deen). However, if one does not want to get married then he is not sinning insha'Allah because it is not from obligatory matters. and Allah knows best

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MSalman
12-01-2009, 04:01 AM
:sl:
Question: Is it obligatory for a woman to get married?

Answer: Praise be to Allaah.

In response to your question, we will look briefly at what some of the Muslim fuqahaa’ have written on this topic. In Mawaahib al-Jaleel it was said: “Marriage is obligatory for a woman who is unable to feed or clothe herself unless she gets married.” In al-Sharh al-Kabeer, concerning obligatory marriage it says: “If a person fears that he may commit fornication, it (marriage) is obligatory on him.” In Fath al-Wahhaab, it says: “For the woman who has (physical) desires, marriage is sunnah, just as it is for the one who needs maintenance and the one who fears being taken advantage of by immoral persons.”

In Mughni al-Muhtaaj, it says: “(Marriage) becomes waajib (obligatory) if a person fears fornication… And it was said that it becomes obligatory if a person has made a vow (nadhr) to get married.” Then concerning the ruling with regard to women: “If she needs to get married, i.e., she has physical desires, or needs maintenance, or she is afraid that immoral people may take advantage of her… it is preferable (mustahabb) for her to get married, because this will protect her religion and her chastity, and she can enjoy what her husband spends on her, and other advantages.”

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book al-Mughni: “Our colleagues differed as to whether marriage is obligatory. The best-known opinion in our madhhab is that it is not obligatory, except when a person is afraid of committing a forbidden deed if he does not marry. In that case he should make himself chaste (i.e. get married). This is the opinion of the majority of fuqahaa’.”

When it comes to marriage, people are of three types, one of which is those who fear that they may commit forbidden deeds if they do not get married. It is obligatory for such people to get married, according to the majority of fuqahaa’, because it is obligatory for them to make themselves chaste and protect themselves from haraam. In Subul al-Salaam it says: “Ibn Daqeeq al-‘Eed said that some of the fuqahaa’ said that marriage is obligatory for the one who fears sin or hardship (because of suppressing physical desires) and is able to marry… and it is obligatory for the one who cannot avoid fornication unless he gets married.”

In Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’, it says: “There is no dispute that marriage is an obligation when desire is strong. If a person has such a strong desire for women that he cannot be patient, and he can afford to pay the mahr (dowry) and support a wife, then if he does not get married, he is a sinner.”

From the above discussion, we can see a number of situations in which marriage is obligatory. You might ask: “How can we imagine a woman fulfilling this obligation when usually it is the man who goes around knocking on doors looking for a partner? This is not the woman’s role.” The answer is: what a woman can do to fulfil this command is not to refuse marriage when a suitable, compatible man comes with an offer of marriage.

Muslim women and men need to understand the high status which marriage has in Islam, so that they will be more keen to marry. There follows a useful summary on this topic by Imaam Ibn Qudaamah al-Maqdisi (may Allaah have mercy on him), from his book al-Mughni:

The basis of the legitimacy of marriage is the Qur’aan, Sunnah and ijmaa’ (consensus of the scholars). In the Qur’aan, Allaah says (interpretation of the meanings): ‘… marry women of your choice, two or three, or four…’ [al-Nisaa’ 4:3] and ‘And marry those among you who are single and (also marry) the saalihoon (pious, fit and capable ones) of your (male) slaves and maid-servants (female slaves)…’ [al-Noor 24:32]. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young men! Whoever among you can afford it, let him get married, for this will lower his gaze and protect his chastity. Whoever cannot (get married), then let him fast, for fasting will be a protection for him.” (Agreed upon). There are many other ayaat and reports like these. The Muslims agree that marriage is legitimate.

Ibn Mas’ood said: “If I only had ten days left to live, and I knew that I would die at the end of them, and I was able to get married, I would do so, for fear of fitnah (temptation).”

Ibn ‘Abbaas said to Sa’eed ibn Jubayr: “Get married, for the best of this ummah are those who have more wives.” Ibraaheem ibn Maysarah said: “Taawoos said to me: ‘Either you get married, or I will say to you what ‘Umar said to Abu’l-Zawaa’id: There is nothing stopping you from getting married but either impotence or immorality!’ According to al-Mirwadhi, Ahmad said: ‘Celibacy has nothing to do with Islam. Whoever calls you not to get married is calling you to something other than Islam.’”

Then he said (may Allaah have mercy on him):

The benefits of marriage are many. They include: protecting one’s religion and helping one to adhere to it; protecting and taking care of women; and producing offspring and increasing the ranks of the ummah, thus achieving the pride of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), etc. [Translator’s note: there is a hadeeth which indicates that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) will feel proud of the large numbers of his ummah in the Hereaster, so Muslims are encouraged to marry and have many children.]

It should now be clear that the benefits of marriage are many. No wise Muslim woman would hesitate to get married, especially if an offer of marriage comes from a person who is strongly committed to Islam and is possessed of a good character and morals.
Is it obligatory for a woman to get married?

Question: Is it obligatory for men to get married?

Answer: Praise be to Allaah.

The ruling on marriage for men differs according to their situations and circumstances. Marriage is obligatory on the man who is able to marry and longs to get married, and fears “hardship” otherwise, because it is obligatory for him to protect himself from doing haraam deeds and to keep himself chaste – and this can only be achieved through marriage.

Al-Qurtubi said: if a person is able to marry and fears that he may be harmed or his religious commitment may be adversely affected if he remains single, the only way to prevent this harm is through marriage, and there is no difference of opinion among the scholars – they agree that marriage is obligatory on such a person.

Al-Mardaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in his book Al-Insaaf: Part Three: the one who fears “hardship”. In the case of such a person, marriage is obligatory, and this is the unanimous opinion of the scholars… “Hardship” here means zinaa (fornication), according to the correct opinion. Or it was said that it means being doomed by committing zinaa… What is meant by “Unless he fears that he may fall into committing forbidden actions” means, if he knows or thinks that he will do that. In Al-Furoo’ it says: (marriage) becomes obligatory only when he is sure that he will do that. (Al-Insaaf, part 8; Kitaab al-Nikaah, Ahkaam al-Nikaah).

If he wants to get married but is unable to spend on a wife, then he should adhere to the words of Allaah (interpretation of the meaning):

“And let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allâh enriches them of His Bounty” [al-Noor 24:33]

So he should fast a lot, because of the hadeeth narrated from Ibn Mas’ood who said that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “O young people, whoever among you can afford to get married, let him do so, for it helps one to lower the gaze and protect the private parts (i.e., remain chaste). Whoever cannot afford it, let him fast, for it is a protection for him.”

‘Umar said to Abu’l-Zawaa’id: “Nothing is stopping you from getting married except incapacity or immorality.” (See Fiqh Al-Sunnah, 2/15-17)

Marriage is obligatory on anyone who is single and committing sin such as looking or kissing. If a man or women knows or thinks it most likely that if he does not get married he will commit zinaa – or whatever comes under the same rulings or is similar to it, such as masturbation, then marriage is obligatory. It is still obligatory even if a person knows that he will still commit sin after marriage, because once he is married he will be less likely to commit sin, because he will be distracted from it at least part of the time, whereas if he remains single he will commit sin all the time.

Anyone who looks at the state of things in our times, how there is so much immorality and so much temptation, will be convinced that the obligation to marry is even more important now than at any time in the past. We ask Allaah to purify our hearts, keep us away from haraam things and help us to be chaste. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.
When is it obligatory for men to get married?

and Allah knows best

CuteStuff
12-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Well some people cannot marry because of their disability for example and nobody wants to marry them. or some people cannot marry as their parents do not know anyone and obviously cannot go around in haraam relationships or talking to the other sex.

So how on earth can we not be from among us?

AnonymousPoster
12-01-2009, 02:52 PM
thanks brother islamiclife and skye and brother adib thats pretty much cleared up everything. i know its all down to your intention and only Allah will judge those people. just somebody that i know had a very bad marriage and they got divorced now she is afraid of getting married again because she dose not want to get hurt again she is actually seriously afraid of committing to somebody again. jazakAllah

AnonymousPoster
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuteStuff
Well some people cannot marry because of their disability for example and nobody wants to marry them. or some people cannot marry as their parents do not know anyone and obviously cannot go around in haraam relationships or talking to the other sex.

So how on earth can we not be from among us?
i kind of obviously know that already :rollseyes but disability is not even the discussion here

S_87
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
could it be this hadith they were referring to?

Narrated Anas bin Malik: A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion, is not from me (not one of my followers)."

Bukhari

Cabdullahi
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Wanting to lead the single "happy life" is a straight B.S excuse

afzalaung
12-01-2009, 04:32 PM
It will be ignorant to say one is not from among the Ummah of Rasulullah s.a.w. if he/she doesnt marry.
While marriage is high regarded and recommended act of sunnah, we must remember that there are certain class of people who are even prohibited from marrying. (eg. if the man intends to be physically abusive, its haraam on him to marry)
at times, it is discouraged, (eg too poor to provide for the wife)

Alllahu 'alam

CuteStuff
12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
ok disability may not be the issue

but you didnt mention the other issue i raised - sum people just cannot get married as i have read in other threads - sum parents dont know anybody or cannot look for sumone or dont have family that are willing to help...so instead of fallin in the trap of shaytaan they want to do things halaal but cant. so now they are not from among the Ummah of Rasulullah s.a.w??

i think thats such a wrong way of thinking.

afzalaung
12-01-2009, 05:14 PM
I just have one question though....
Can a person, who doesnt wanna marry (for some reasons), use medicines to chemically surpress his/her sexual desires? (i.e. chemical castration like anti-testosterone pills)

Cabdullahi
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
^ If your excuses are valid why do you not tell us what sort of nature they are.

you dont have to give details. if its medical reasons just say so.

and regarding the idea of chemically putting an end to your sexual need forcibly is so crazy like something from a sci-fi movie

Marriage is half of our deen for a reason, the ummah needs to increase..if the ummah increases the prophet's message reaches increased distances....If we do otherwise then it's mission failed

CuteStuff
12-01-2009, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
^ If your excuses are valid why do you not tell us what they are?....
why should i explain myself to you?

Cabdullahi
12-01-2009, 05:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CuteStuff
why should i explain myself to you?

I was not talking to you but the brother

MSalman
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
:sl:

can we please drop our personal opinions - it is a matter of deen? And let's not get on each others nerves, insha'Allah

best option would be to close this thread as the questioner has found the answer

barakAllahu feekum

afzalaung
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
and regarding the idea of chemically putting an end to your sexual need forcibly is so crazy like something from a sci-fi movie

Marriage is half of our deen for a reason, the ummah needs to increase..if the ummah increases the prophet's message reaches increased distances....If we do otherwise then it's mission failed
nah..its not as crazy... i mean..some ppl put career ahead of family..for example. i think for such ppl, its better to not marry at all.
and to control their lust, make use of technology- chemically!

and the thing about marriage being half of the deen...how come i dont hear about cleanliness being the other half of deen. (i'm not asking you, just the general public, including myfriends) they keep mentioning marriage as half of ddeen...but their dorms are just plain filthy. (random thoughts from my mind)

(i think i'm detouring from the topic, sorry)

Cabdullahi
12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by afzalaung
nah..its not as crazy... i mean..some ppl put career ahead of family..for example. i think for such ppl, its better to not marry at all.
and to control their lust, make use of technology- chemically!

and the thing about marriage being half of the deen...how come i dont hear about cleanliness being the other half of deen. (i'm not asking you, just the general public, including myfriends) they keep mentioning marriage as half of ddeen...but their dorms are just plain filthy. (random thoughts from my mind)

(i think i'm detouring from the topic, sorry)

This is what's happening in the western world being immersed fully in one's career is put before rearing and looking after the family the result is the death and destruction of society,im not saying getting a career is bad but marriage cannot be neglected and forgotten about.

Heterosexuality and marriage is the basis of the natural life-cycle and in islam we need to reproduce,unless a person has some sort of medical reasons or other reasons which exempts them from marrying then there is no reason why they shouldnt marry.

Insecured soul
12-02-2009, 03:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AnonymousGender
thanks brother islamiclife and skye and brother adib thats pretty much cleared up everything. i know its all down to your intention and only Allah will judge those people. just somebody that i know had a very bad marriage and they got divorced now she is afraid of getting married again because she dose not want to get hurt again she is actually seriously afraid of committing to somebody again. jazakAllah

i dont know what i can say on that, i was never married and dont know how it goes but when i marry il do istikhara and leave everything upto allah subhana wata'aala

Predator
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I cant see how that can be considered "crazy" , i see that more as a solution .

if you cant afford marriage due to financial instability,disability or any other reason as Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said "he who cant afford marriage should fast " .So the person should fast and as the same time use these medicines to suppress any desire that may come.

noorseeker
12-02-2009, 08:46 PM
i cant because i havent got the money, and dont ever see how i can get the money

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.