/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How Many Christians in the World?

mahi
12-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Is the figure around 2 point something billion?
So about a third of the world?

I'd like to ask, how many people do you think are actually Christians? Because in Britain, I'd presume a lot of white people are Christians, yet most young women tend to where revealing clothes, drink a lot, have sex before marriage et all, and that which is just easily seen in British society.

Now I don't know how much of that above is not allowed in Christianity, but I know sex before marriage isn't, and I read somewhere that one shouldn't dress indecently. Then yet why is things like flirting and sex so acceptable?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Supreme
12-03-2009, 08:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mahi

I'd like to ask, how many people do you think are actually Christians? Because in Britain, I'd presume a lot of white people are Christians, yet most young women tend to where revealing clothes, drink a lot, have sex before marriage et all, and that which is just easily seen in British society.

Now I don't know how much of that above is not allowed in Christianity, but I know sex before marriage isn't, and I read somewhere that one shouldn't dress indecently. Then yet why is things like flirting and sex so acceptable?
Indeed. I think it is something like 34% of the world proclaims Christianity and 17% of the world alone proclaims Catholicism. Staggering statistics if ever there were some. But let me address your post:

My church is majority black (I'm white myself). They are all your typicall crazy Christians, jumping, dancing, singing at the top of their voices and being full of love, joy and the Spirit. I would consider these people more 'committed' (albeit not better) than many white Christians, who turn up to church to sing a 200 year old hymn where they stand there with miserable looks on their faces and view it as a burden more than a joy. Christianity in this country is just as much a black man's religion as it is a white man's religion, if not more so.

By 'revealing' clothes, what do you mean? Clothes that show arms, face and hair? Clothes where you can actually see what the person you're talking to looks like? Now, these clothes are not prohibited by the Bible. As long as they do not go around dressed up like prostitutes, I really have no problem with any young Christian female dressing up 'revealingly', as most do. It's not the woman's fault she's attractive; she shouldn't have to wear something 'unrevealing' to stop men wanting to have sex with her, it's the man's fault for desiring her.

Alcohol is also not a problem. Jesus drank and went to parties. It is excessive drinking that is the problem, and I personally do not know any Christian with a drink problem. That's not to say there aren't any Christians with drink problems, just that it isn't common.

Having sex before marriage is a sin, but it's hardly the worst one. In Christianity, Jesus has pretty much accepted sin as human nature, and as long as they obey His two most important commandments, there's nothing to phone home about really. Yes, you can probably tell, I'm liberal. :statisfie

Also, dressing indecently is subjective a lot of the time.

جوري
12-03-2009, 08:53 PM

this, are these clothes allowed?
(“garment of salvation,” Isaiah 61:10; see also Revelation 3:18; 1 Peter 5:5),* and of immodest clothing used to represent spiritual adultery and apostasy (Ezekiel 23:40-42; Jeremiah 4:30; Revelation 17:4-6). Explicitly, this is indicated by the numerous stories, allegories, and admonitions regarding appropriate and inappropriate attire and adorning.

you should re-read the bible.. I find it amusing that this lady isn't just wearing revealing clothes on the streets but in the alleged house of God.. I mean what exactly is taught in church if the basics are out the window? simply dancing and clapping and screaming hallelujah?

mkh4JC
12-03-2009, 08:56 PM

As you say, there are 2 billion people on this earth professing Jesus as their Saviour. Only God knows who are really his, but from my experience from meeting people who confess that they are Christian I wouldn't hesitiate to say in the slightest that there aren't even a billion Christians.

For one, this world would be a lot more peaceful if there were just one billion Christians in the world. That means that one in every six people you meet would be Christian, and the world (ie the lost) would have an amazing opportunity to see how this life is lived out. I can't tell you the amount of times I have met someone who confesses to me that they are Christian and the next thing that comes out of their mouths is a dirty joke or a swear word. Christianity is an all-encompassing lifestyle, a casting away of the old, sinful man, living a life that is renewed by the supernatural power of God. It's a 24/7/365 day kind of thing.

Here's what Jesus said on this very issue:

'Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name have done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity' (hidden sin). Matthew 7: 21-22.

Jesus won't say, I knew you but you backslid. He will tell them that he never knew them period. And these are people who are going around supposedly casting out devils. It all comes back to whether or not you are living a life that is pleasing in the sight of the Lord, a life that he fully enables you to live because you came to him.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Supreme
12-03-2009, 09:29 PM
you should re-read the bible.. I find it amusing that this lady isn't just wearing revealing clothes on the streets but in the alleged house of God.. I mean what exactly is taught in church if the basics are out the window? simply dancing and clapping and screaming hallelujah?
Oh yes, that evil, evil woman for entering a church showing her flesh! She deserves to get raped! Modesty is purely a human concept, and such is reaffirmed in the story of Adam and Eve, when God is angry when humans acquire the knowledge of modesty. It has no place in modern Christianity. That woman is not a prostitute and she is not dressed as one. Besides, God sees our inside, not our deceptive outsides. It makes no difference to Him, and no sense to me. Thoughts that it makes a difference to God what we look like are primitive and are rejected out of hand by most Christians.

جوري
12-03-2009, 11:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
Oh yes, that evil, evil woman for entering a church showing her flesh!
her evil or goodness isn't really a matter of human judgment..we merely questions how her dress code reconciles with your 'good book' where just a post ago you'd alleged that dress code isn't imposed!

She deserves to get raped!
That is a very sick comment.. why would you write something so disgusting and vile?

Modesty is purely a human concept, and such is reaffirmed in the story of Adam and Eve, when God is angry when humans acquire the knowledge of modesty.
That is your christian version of events... acquisition of knowledge is a trait enforced in Islam not avoided.
But if you think said biblical passages are of human conception and not divine law to be enforced, then by all means I can be game with that and that is in concert with my views on Christianity!
It has no place in modern Christianity.
What exactly is Christianity all about modern or archaic?
That woman is not a prostitute and she is not dressed as one.
You have a very skewed concept of right and wrong.. no one called her a prostitute and certainly no one should wish rape on another human being, she is however inappropriately dressed especially for the purpose of public prayer as per your own bible ( I can see her under-clothes) plus her head is uncovered which is at odds with:
(1 Corinthians 11:3-12)
The head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. And every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is just as though her head were shaved. If a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off; and if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off, she should cover her head. A man ought not to cover his head,[a] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. For this reason, and because of the angels the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head.
Besides, God sees our inside, not our deceptive outsides.
That isn't an excuse for your outside not to echo your inside.. you can't be inwardly modest and outwardly pompous .. the two should be in concert!
It makes no difference to Him, and no sense to me.
Since you are not God, I wouldn't take the liberty to speak on his behalf.. if you in fact are a christian and believe in your bible, then God's code for human conduct is already included and quoted you above, it doesn't include 'modernism' and whimsy-- one day copulating on the streets like wild donkeys will be the norm.. where do you draw the line, especially if you allege to follow an organized religion?
Thoughts that it makes a difference to God what we look like are primitive and are rejected out of hand by most Christians.
I haven't considered christianity much of a religion anyway so whether you reject its contents or accept it, is a matter left to christian discretion ..
we are here to point out where it is at odds with its own tenets and those of known Abrahamic monotheism and should be outwardly rejected and contradictions addressed! ..

all the best

Supreme
12-04-2009, 05:34 PM
her evil or goodness isn't really a matter of human judgment..we merely questions how her dress code reconciles with your 'good book' where just a post ago you'd alleged that dress code isn't imposed!
Exactly.
That is a very sick comment.. why would you write something so disgusting and vile?
See also: sarcasm.

You have a very skewed concept of right and wrong.. no one called her a prostitute and certainly no one should wish rape on another human being, she is however inappropriately dressed especially for the purpose of public prayer as per your own bible ( I can see her under-clothes) plus her head is uncovered which is at odds with:
(1 Corinthians 11:3-12)
But wasn't S/Paul (curses be upon him!) a devil? Therefore, anything he writes in his epistle is blatantly from Satan...

That isn't an excuse for your outside not to echo your inside.. you can't be inwardly modest and outwardly pompous .. the two should be in concert
That's your opinion.

one day copulating on the streets like wild donkeys will be the norm.. where do you draw the line, especially if you allege to follow an organized religion?
Well, we'll see. Also, since when has Protestantism been an organized religion? Duh!

I haven't considered christianity much of a religion anyway
Neither do I, I would class it as more of a relationship and path of righteousness and reconciliation with God than a mere religion.

whether you reject its contents or accept it, is a matter left to christian discretion ..
Fair 'nuff, although it does ponder the question on why the heck you're offering your own opinion when you're not a Christian.

we are here to point out where it is at odds with its own tenets and those of known Abrahamic monotheism and should be outwardly rejected and contradictions addressed! ..
Christians are hardly at odds over dress code, it truly isn't very significant at all. There are far bigger issues that Christians are odds with each other about.

جوري
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM

See also: sarcasm.
it was in bad taste as many of the things you write!

But wasn't S/Paul (curses be upon him!) a devil? Therefore, anything he writes in his epistle is blatantly from Satan...
Did paul write it all? Was Ezekiel written by paul? or did paul borrow from what was written to give himself some semblance of credence?

That's your opinion.
it is a fact.. there is no point in pretending you give to charity when you are actually a thief.. you are simply making excuses of what you desire of God!

Well, we'll see. Also, since when has Protestantism been an organized religion? Duh!
What is it? a cult?

Neither do I, I would class it as more of a relationship and path of righteousness and reconciliation with God than a mere religion.
Then why not be an agnostic? it is about mere relationship with God without the stringency of confusing and contradicting passages?

Fair 'nuff, although it does ponder the question on why the heck you're offering your own opinion when you're not a Christian.
For the same reasons you write of christianity on an Islamic forum?

Christians are hardly at odds over dress code, it truly isn't very significant at all. There are far bigger issues that Christians are odds with each other about.
Everything is a contradiction you are right who is counting?
Does it really matter where the water is spilling from to patch when it is leaking from every pore..

all the best

aadil77
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
By 'revealing' clothes, what do you mean? Clothes that show arms, face and hair? Clothes where you can actually see what the person you're talking to looks like? Now, these clothes are not prohibited by the Bible. As long as they do not go around dressed up like prostitutes, I really have no problem with any young Christian female dressing up 'revealingly', as most do. It's not the woman's fault she's attractive; she shouldn't have to wear something 'unrevealing' to stop men wanting to have sex with her, it's the man's fault for desiring her.
Whats your definition of dressing like a prostitute? to me most girls do dress like prostitutes because its becoming more and more acceptable

If they 'shouldn't have to wear something 'unrevealing'', why wear any clothes at all, its not as if clothes that girls wear now a days keep them warm? and If you dont have a problem with revealing clothes then whats wrong with dressing like a prostitute?

Khaldun
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
:sl:

Talking about dress codes in christianity is like seeing a person smoking with the left hand and saying, astaghfirullah brother! Use your right hand and say bismilah! [i.e not adressing the true issue]

What really needs to be adressed are issues to do with tenents of faith, such as trinity etc.

Supreme
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
it was in bad taste as many of the things you write!
The only things I ever write in bad taste are in reply to you! Funny, that.

Did paul write it all? Was Ezekiel written by paul? or did paul borrow from what was written to give himself some semblance of credence?
Yes, the Corinthians Epistles were written by Paul. It would be rather hard for Ezekiel to have written it, what, with him dying hundreds of years prior to the writing of the book and everything!

What is it? a cult?
No, silly! Not all religion is organized!

Then why not be an agnostic? it is about mere relationship with God without the stringency of confusing and contradicting passages?
I'm shocked at the stupidity of that comment. 'Hey, you believe in a religion? Why not stop believing in that religion for agnoticism! It's just the same (lol) but without the silly texts referring to a magical sky god and stuff!'

For the same reasons you write of christianity on an Islamic forum
I didn't create this thread. I was using your own argument against you. You thought that the dress code should be a matter for Christians alone, but gave your opinion nonetheless, on a matter which you yourself admitted was no business of your own.

Everything is a contradiction you are right who is counting?
Different interpretations do not necessarily mean that denomations contradict each other. But have brownie points on me for trying!

Supreme
12-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Whats your definition of dressing like a prostitute? to me most girls do dress like prostitutes because its becoming more and more acceptable
Short skirts and revealing tops.

and If you dont have a problem with revealing clothes then whats wrong with dressing like a prostitute
It is because you and I have a different definition on what revealing clothes are.

Uthman
12-04-2009, 06:51 PM
According to Wikipedia, estimates range between 1.5 billion and 2.1 billion.

Khaldun
12-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Only a very sad person resorts to name calling and use of degrading terms in a debate Supreme. You are an adult, please behave like one.

جوري
12-04-2009, 07:32 PM
The only things I ever write in bad taste are in reply to you! Funny, that.
From the responses and feedback between you and members here, I'd say you are in bad taste always, most people however don't bother pointing it out!

Yes, the Corinthians Epistles were written by Paul. It would be rather hard for Ezekiel to have written it, what, with him dying hundreds of years prior to the writing of the book and everything!
I am glad you recognize and admitted to that! not only is a dress code mentioned where you'd previously denied, the bible is riddled with it, it isn't merely mentioned by a charlatan and should be upheld if indeed you call yourselves Christians!

No, silly! Not all religion is organized!
I see no relevance to this to the question I asked.. why follow this religion organized or not if it comes down to some secular code that doesn't require that you adhere to divine law?

I'm shocked at the stupidity of that comment. 'Hey, you believe in a religion? Why not stop believing in that religion for agnoticism! It's just the same (lol) but without the silly texts referring to a magical sky god and stuff!'
I think the true stupidity is that you can't come up with one good answer to save your dear life!

I didn't create this thread. I was using your own argument against you. You thought that the dress code should be a matter for Christians alone, but gave your opinion nonetheless, on a matter which you yourself admitted was no business of your own.
You haven't managed to make an argument against me and you failed to make a case for your beliefs.. it is very much my business to expose christianity for what it is.. that is why this section is called comparative religion!

Different interpretations do not necessarily mean that denomations contradict each other. But have brownie points on me for trying!
Perhaps you should gorge on the brownies yourself then.
1- still waiting on why your passages contradict
2- waiting on why the followers don't adhere to passages written by charlatans or their predecessors.
3- waiting on why you follow a religion if you don't believe in its tenets and would rather some secular laws that allow for nakedness in churches
4- waiting on why your bible is at odds with all Abrahamic faiths.

once you exonerate yourself from your folly can you speak of brownies!

all the best

Humbler_359
12-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I would say that we should not depend on how many Christian population. Alot of Christian are divided into different categories and alot of Christian didn't follow the basic of Bible and law. I would say 15% out of 2.1 billions.

It is also same applied to Muslim population. We may think we have alot of Muslim population (1.7 Billion), we should realized that it is fact, thousands Muslims are not following five-times prayers, read Qur'an, and duty. I would say less than 30% are followed the true meaning of Qur'an and Islamic life. Sadly, most old generations are very firm, and young generations are weak today.

Again, Christian and Muslims should NOT be compete with each other for stupid reasons in gaining more populations. Still alot of astrayers are happened everywhere in name of both religions.

Eliphaz
12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I agree with whoever said that there are probably less than 1 billion true Christians and I'd say probably less than 500 million true Muslims. So that leaves around 5.5 or 6 billion people going to hell right now depending how you look at it.

Supreme
12-04-2009, 11:07 PM
I am glad you recognize and admitted to that! not only is a dress code mentioned where you'd previously denied, the bible is riddled with it, it isn't merely mentioned by a charlatan and should be upheld if indeed you call yourselves Christians!
I'm not quite sure why you're replying with this when I disproved you and your claims that 2 Corinthians is written by Ezekiel...

I see no relevance to this to the question I asked.. why follow this religion organized or not if it comes down to some secular code that doesn't require that you adhere to divine law
Oh wait, if I disprove you, it's not relevant? I see what we're getting at here...

I think the true stupidity is that you can't come up with one good answer to save your dear life!
Sorry, I should never have challenged the wisdom of your 'good' answer where you suggested I abadon my beliefs for agnostism, a completely different set of beliefs.

You haven't managed to make an argument against me and you failed to make a case for your beliefs.. it is very much my business to expose christianity for what it is.. that is why this section is called comparative religion!
Yes I have, but I grow weary of repeating myself. Denial is a normal human reaction, I should expect. Also, if your hobby consists of 'exposing' (which in itself is hilarious), then I suggest you urgently need to get a life.

1- still waiting on why your passages contradict
Then start another thread and stop derailing this one.

جوري
12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm not quite sure why you're replying with this when I disproved you and your claims that 2 Corinthians is written by Ezekiel...
ha? the claim was never about Corinthians, although Corinthians is another passage about immodesty that you earlier neglected to mention, thus I question, what is it that you have disproved exactly? perhaps you can highlight it here and while at it, disprove it of these passages quoted on the previous page as well:

(“garment of salvation,” Isaiah 61:10; see also Revelation 3:18; 1 Peter 5:5),* and of immodest clothing used to represent spiritual adultery and apostasy (Ezekiel 23:40-42; Jeremiah 4:30; Revelation 17:4-6). Explicitly, this is indicated by the numerous stories, allegories, and admonitions regarding appropriate and inappropriate attire and adorning.

Oh wait, if I disprove you, it's not relevant? I see what we're getting at here...
see previous paragraph, do you think that dodging the topic or concentrating on an aspect as ridiculous as my feelings on the validity of Pauline claims or those of Ezekiel to denote that the passages don't exist in your bible and that you have willingly denied them and have no expectations that they be adhered to, is that what you consider a 'disproof' and the marrow of the subject?

Sorry, I should never have challenged the wisdom of your 'good' answer where you suggested I abadon my beliefs for agnostism, a completely different set of beliefs.
Again you dodge the question, I haven't suggested you adhere to a set of beliefs or another, I merely questioned, since you believe and adhere to secular laws in spite of what your bible says in several places do you subscribe to Christianity? it is a genuine question, you say such little details don't matter to God and some other crap about outside and inside, and I ask since they don't, why do you have to be christian? why not adhere to secular laws under 'deism' if agnosticism offends you.. since all god cares about is your inner?

Yes I have, but I grow weary of repeating myself. Denial is a normal human reaction, I should expect. Also, if your hobby consists of 'exposing' (which in itself is hilarious), then I suggest you urgently need to get a life.
You hide behind empty words, you repeat yourself because you're unable to address the topic so you resort to a load of other crap.. I don't think the questions are hard to understand, you focusing on some tangent to evade a response, doesn't denote that you have given an effectual sound response.. you waste your time and worst yet mine.. if you have no answers it is best just to say so then to conceal words in false pretenses while behaving like an ass to anyone whose opinion or query offends you!

Then start another thread and stop derailing this one.
You'd have been better off writing that all along. You have no answers and don't know how to extricate yourself from the hole you dug for yourself on this one..
all the best!

Amadeus85
12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
How many christians in the world? About 2 billions of all denominations I guess. Among them about 1,1 billion are catholics.
About the clothes it's a interesting topic. The thing is that the women should wear decent clothes. I know that there are churches (catholic) whith tables saying that - "Women and men can't wear shorts upon knees etc". It is a problem especially in Latin America. The thing is also that before the feminist influence on Church (catholic) since 60' women in churches often did cover their heads.

Grace Seeker
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
In round numbers, that's about right.

Of course, not all of those for whom that moniker is applied actually behave in accordance with the guidelines laid down in scriptures for Christians to adhere to. For instance, scriptures says: "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (Hebrews 10:25). But do all Christians attend to worship or assemble in their respective churches? No. Nor, if I understand Hebrews, have they ever. There are always those who claim to be a part of the group, but who do not live by the standards of that group. I'm sure you find the same is true in Islam, Budhism, Hinduism, Judaism and any other religious body you might name. And I assume that realization is what leads to your second question:

I'd like to ask, how many people do you think are actually Christians?
That's much harder to say, for you are asking me to look inside and judge men and women's hearts. Truly, only God can do that. We know that, according to Jesus, in the end ""not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven" (Matthew 7:21). In reality, by that standard, since none of us always do the will of the Father, it may be that no one enters heaven. But we expect that there is an element of grace, but at what level? Again, I don't know. Nor do I think any but God who looks into each person's heart can answer that question.

Just from observable facts, it seems that in the USA only 1/4 to 1/3 of those who are members of churches actually attend those churches. But I'm not going to tell you that none of those who fail to attend are genuine Christians nor that all of those who do attend actually are. Fedos give his opinion that the actual number of people who take the name of Christ that really belong to Christ is extremely low. I'm not ready to go down in the single digits percent wise, but I would agree that based on behavior, at least in the western world, there are far more nominal (in name only) Christians than spirit-filled Christians to be found. In the emerging nations found in Africa, Asia, and to a lesser extent Latin America, I suspect that the opposite is true.

Because in Britain, I'd presume a lot of white people are Christians, yet most young women tend to where revealing clothes, drink a lot, have sex before marriage et all, and that which is just easily seen in British society.
And that would be what I would expect to see in a culture where nominal Christians will wear a cross, but don't bear the cross. (A reference to Jesus' comments on what it means to be a disciple: Matthew 10L38, Mark 8:34, Luke 9:23 and 14:27.)

Short answer: It isn't.

Just because people engage in something, doesn't mean that it is acceptable; just as those same things are engaged in but not acceptable in Islam. Preachers speak against these things all the time.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.