PDA

View Full Version : CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-09-2007, 05:10 PM
:sl:

is anyone doing the Cisco course?

Any of it?

if so, how was it?

want to know how hard it was, and how you though it was. i.e. good/bad.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Cisco! Heyy das ma mates dogs name,

anyways what is this about? I.T:hmm:

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-09-2007, 06:41 PM
^lol

yeh, sis, "summat to do wiv i.t"

lol,just kiddin ;D

its basically networking, but more advanced :offended: its supposed to be really hard though...

Pk_#2
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
All the best bro inshaAllah wa ta'ala it goes well for ya,

It's better then what am doing-trust me, one week we learnt the alphabet the next week how to talk.

If my brain is working next week should be 'learning how to write'

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Salamualikum.

O0o0h i see someone wants a career in networks and networking, Thats excellent man .. :X

Which course are you doing or want to take?

CCNA 1? Networking Basics.
CCNA 2? The Routers and Routing Basics course?
CCNA 3? Switching Basics and Intermediate Routing?
CCNA 4? a Networking Basics course >> The last course including Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification.?

^ I would say CCNA1 is the easiest cause it's the first course which introduces Cisco Networking Academy Program to the networking field! But don't ask it guess harder and harder!

Also this time if you've started doing it and the dropped out now they will mix the old courses along with the new ones so it'll be alright, but i say WORTH IT! .. Also soo unfair it will be allowed to take the ICND1 instead of the INTRO, and ICND2 instead of ICND, to complete the training of cCNA!!.

Can i ask are you working with little network or wnat to in future? BUT REMEMBER CISCO CCNA will be easier for you if ya think CCNA is hard!

i would say after working that hard for it a big YES!

Gud luck

ma'assalama

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Insha'Allah i hope your improves sis Umma Wasat

Whoa sis Kittygyal, did not know you was into Networking as well (masha'Allah)

and unless i am much mistaken, i will be doing all 4 of them :|

i dont know about ICND what is that?

and im thinking of working in networking in the future Insha'Allah

Thank you for the encouragement and the reply sister, better than what i was hoping for :)

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 07:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Adam-
Insha'Allah i hope your improves sis Umma Wasat

Whoa sis Kittygyal, did not know you was into Networking as well (masha'Allah)

and unless i am much mistaken, i will be doing all 4 of them :|

i dont know about ICND what is that?

and im thinking of working in networking in the future Insha'Allah

Thank you for the encouragement and the reply sister, better than what i was hoping for :)

Don't ask brother :hiding:

To get certificate then yes you have to do all four. I will stress again to you brother you will find it hard but this is better than just CCNA because thats way hard, and people who do Cisco CCNA are the ones who are doing an easier level to push there self to achieve the aspirational for the CCNA Certificate which i will cry out loud you have to do ALL foru courses bro.. very hard but trust WORTH IT.
Also CCNA 4 focuses a lot on advanced all this includes:

Network Address Translation (Which is the easiest bit), Port Address Translation and DHCP, WAN technology and terminology, PPP, ISDN, DDR, Frame Relay, network management (i love that) and also introduction to optical networking which was soo boring put me to bed then at last when i ahd to do it i found it hard! Serve me right cause i learnt my lesson!.

Remember: Always focus at all times, if you feel sleepy (like i did) then always take a water bottle and drink as much!.

Btw these course economic and business development so there really good and if you have the skills then i must say it will be truley easy! and if your good at IT then you can go for it TRUST!..

Oh man i wish i never said anything about ICND... :grumbling You don't need to focus on that yet im sowiee bro im jumping to conclusion!:cry:

Just a brief note because you will want to know so might aswel tell ya now ... They have
different courses like theres different courses CCNA1, CCNA2,CCNA3,CCNA4... same goes for ICND ... The ICND1 is a training course focuses on providing the skills and knowledge necessary to install, operate, and troubleshoot it's more of a small branch office Enterprise network that includes configuring a switch,a router, and connecting to a WAN and implementing network security. Passing the exam associated with this course results in the award of the (CCENT) which is Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician certification if you don't know that. Also his course along with ICND2 are the recommended training courses for obtaining CCNA certification. Also thats way complicatiog for you brother.

oh man i sound like a geek now :uhwhat

need any help just p'm .. :hiding:

Ma'assalama

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Dont know what it is lol.

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Salamualikum.

Dont know what it is lol.
^ You won't thought unless you study it...

Ma'assalama

ISLAMASWEENEY
10-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Havant studied this yet sister.

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ISLAMASWEENEY
Havant studied this yet sister.
I know you haven't insha'Allaah you will :D

Far7an
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Wa alaikum asalaaam

Oh! Cisco is awesome! I did CCNA about 3-4 years ago, some parts were tough, and you won't always understand certain concepts first time round, but just stick to it inshaa'Allah.

First semester (CCNA1) is easy! Second (CCNA2) is not too bad. Hard work starts at semester 3 (CCNA3)!

Don't get put off from doing it though, even if you finish up to CCNA2, that's really good. A lot of companies that train employees with cisco, only train them up to CCNA2 anyway.

Is this something free your college is offering? Or you doing it at uni?

Wasalaam.

Kittygyal
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Oh another person who's into networks and networking :X Masha'Allaah...

The course is excellent and hard at times, but tell me whats not hard?
It's all about struggling and achieving your aspirational.

If your college is offering you for free then your lucky, but if your going towards Uni then i suggest it will cost kinda A lot of money but ask permission first from parents.. If your going to go for it i would recommend you do all the course and get your certificate.
In Westmisinter Uni you can do it to CCNA4 i think

It seems hard but it isn't... Bro Far7an how can you not say CCNA4 is not easy :confused: , that is well easy it is the last course which sums it all up.. Also as i mentioned in my previous post CCNA4 focuses a lot on advanced which includes Network Address Translation (Which is the easiest bit), Port Address Translation and DHCP, WAN technology and terminology, PPP, ISDN, DDR, Frame Relay, network management (i love that) and also introduction to optical networking which was soo boring put me to bed then at last when i ahd to do it i found it hard! Serve me right cause i learnt my lesson!.

Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
10-09-2007, 10:21 PM
assalamu alaikum :)

bro i took this course, and ended up dropping out :uuh: , it was fun though :D best of luck :)

Danah
10-10-2007, 04:18 AM
One of my friends take it. and she said that they took the exames online and it is all about basic in the networking protocols
In sha allah I will take it this semester

Abdul-Raouf
10-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Me ...i did the CISCO syllabi....Network Administration and Router Configuration course...

jannat
10-10-2007, 07:22 AM

i dont know much about cisco, but i know someone who worked with them / studied with them and did really well... from my understanding getting into networking has good prospects/good money.

i hope whatever you do you will be successful inshallah. Good luck!
Hey Kittygyal i didnt know you liked networking.. nice to hear a sister is into the technical bits of computing.. i did i module which involved Networks ..i found it challenging.. i hope this year will be easier inshallah :D

:w:

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-10-2007, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal

oh man i sound like a geek now :uhwhat

need any help just p'm .. :hiding:
lol, jazakallah sister

whoa, man, so many people do Cisco dont they, mst be worth it Insha'Allah

bro, IbnAbdulHakim, if you dropped out, then it mustnt be easy :confused:

yeh, the colege i am doing it is offering it for free, so may as well go for it innit :D

Insha'Allah all will go well

thanks for the replies, they given me a bit of a boost of inspiraration...

IbnAbdulHakim
10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Ibn Adam-
lol,
bro, IbnAbdulHakim, if you dropped out, then it mustnt be easy :confused:
its not hard bro, work just got in the way thats all :)

but truuuust me, its basic stuff, not difficult :)

Ibn Al Aqwa
10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
oh lol...anyway...as well as working on networking....

im doing web design as well....im creating my own web site now :)

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
[jannat] Hey Kittygyal i didnt know you liked networking.. nice to hear a sister is into the technical bits of computing.. i did i module which involved Networks ..i found it challenging.. i hope this year will be easier inshallah.
So of a kind.. Insha'Allaah you will do it this year and they will mix the old courses along with the new courses this year so it will be fun.
Also Cisco CCNA is the easier level to just alone CCNA.. I would actually recommend who ever is going to take the courses go for the Cisco CNNA instead CCNA alone.. They go easier and easier every year and they change *Some*

[QUOTE IbnAbdulHakim] bro i took this course, and ended up dropping out
What course did you do it to.?

[QUOTE SAYA]One of my friends take it. and she said that they took the exames online
Im not being big-headed or anything but doing the exams online do put me off but all the best, is your friend taking the exams at home on computer?

[QUOTE -Ibn Adam-]so many people do Cisco dont they, mst be worth it
It's definately worth it. Tell me what you don't find hard when getting educated?, No matter what you do you'll find it hard at first obviously you won't know the score but later but you'll get the hang of it.. it's all about struggling and achieving your aspirational. If your on the right track the yeah..

[QUOTE -Ibn Adam-]if you dropped out, then it mustnt be easy:confused:
HELL NO!!.. don't make me break the computer screen :grumbling . Many people drop out to a certain course they don't all finish the course its up to the student to do whatever course they want to. Doesn't really mean if one person drops out the course they may find it hard some people may not find there flavour right at times..

[QUOTE Abdul-Raouf]Me ...i did the CISCO syllabi....Network Administration and Router Configuration course...
Oh Masha'Allaah.. :sunny:... Did you do all the courses or is it different where your at?

[QUOTE -Ibn Adam-]im doing web design as well....im creating my own web site now
Wow ... Masha'Allaah bro you've got knolwegde go for it :giggling:

Best of luck to everyone who's planing on doing it in future or is doing.. May Allaah hlep you all.. Amin

Ma'assalama

IbnAbdulHakim
10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
^ cisco networking

Kittygyal
10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Salamualikum.

^ It could be you have done CCNA1 Networking Basics or CCNA4 which is a Networking Basics course >> The last course including Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification.

But don't think you did CCNA4 because you need all the other three courses to achieve the last course because that includes the certificate..

Anywho well done bro, atleast you give it a try :)
Ma'assalama

Danah
10-13-2007, 10:26 AM
sister Kittygyal
Im not being big-headed or anything but doing the exams online do put me off but all the best, is your friend taking the exams at home on computer?
no she took the small quizess on home, but the final exams was online in the university.

m102313
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
I did this course as well, it was bare easy. Trust me.

Ppl just say it's hard but i didn't find it hard.

Kittygyal
10-13-2007, 07:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAYA
sister Kittygyal

no she took the small quizess on home, but the final exams was online in the university.

Oh the small exams for just a starter.. Final exam has to be in Uni :mmokay:

Anywho... Masha'Allaah on ya blad :D

May Allaah guide us all.. Amin

Kittygyal
10-13-2007, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
Ppl just say it's hard but i didn't find it hard.

I love that stament bro :mmokay: , Thats because everything is hard at first but once get the hang of it it's well easy.. then people get down to earth but obviously everything is hard at first no matter what..

Just remember when you first learnt how to write it was hard, you may have moaned and groaned but gradually you learnt how to write, then later by later you was a top spar on writing!.. Simple to this aswel.. :D

Ma'assalama

m102313
10-14-2007, 12:28 PM

I love that stament bro :mmokay: , Thats because everything is hard at first but once get the hang of it it's well easy.. then people get down to earth but obviously everything is hard at first no matter what..

Just remember when you first learnt how to write it was hard, you may have moaned and groaned but gradually you learnt how to write, then later by later you was a top spar on writing!.. Simple to this aswel.. :D

Ma'assalama
yh lol! Maybe because IT/Computers is in our blood, i always wanted a Career in IT from early age.

Kittygyal
10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by moabubaker
yh lol! Maybe because IT/Computers is in our blood, i always wanted a Career in IT from early age.

Yes! Agree with ya

Kittygyal
11-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Salamualikum.

Bro -Ibn Al Aqwa- any news for us on course?

Ma'assalama

Ibn Al Aqwa
11-27-2007, 09:43 PM
lol yeh...

did the first assignment today...got just under 80%...

which isnt bad Inshaa'Allah...

still need to polish a few things up, and got a load of revision as well...

Kittygyal
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Salamualikum.

Was expecting more from you mate!!!

not bad not bad eh... Masha'Allaah mabrook.

WORK HARDER AND PULL YA SOCKS UP AND ACT LIKE A MAN... o_0

i want u to get the certificate cause i know u can do it.. if u can make ya site of ya own den you can do anything mate!

need help just ask...

ma'assalama

Ibn Al Aqwa
11-27-2007, 10:07 PM
^lol, JazakAllaah

Salahudeen
12-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Aslaam alaykum, I'm studing for my CCNA and there's so much knowledge to take in, does any 1 here hold the CCNA qualificaiton??

how did you manage to take all that knowledge in?? lol

muslimah_81
12-04-2009, 10:28 PM
I have not studied the CCNA however I may have some material that may be of use to you. Ill have to look for it inshaAllah and I will try sending it to you.
Are you studying it on your own or doing the course with a college or organisation?

Salahudeen
12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm doing it with my university sister. Jazakallah khair, that would be great.

cat eyes
12-04-2009, 11:05 PM
:><: i wish i could be of help:muslimah:lol

Salahudeen
12-04-2009, 11:07 PM
^ LOOL haha strictly geeks can help me here, :(

Far7an
12-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I've done CCNA. Semester 1 is by far the easiest of all 4 semesters. It does seem like a lot to take in, but study hard and you'll be fine insha'Allah. :D

nebula
12-05-2009, 12:04 AM
im doing cisco as a enrichment course at college.

meer5sd
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
what are the job prospects of CCNA in gulf countries????

Salahudeen
12-07-2009, 02:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by karim5sd
Good question, I'd love to know that since I want to move there. Any 1 here from the Gulf?

meer5sd
12-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Iam doing ccna course in India, what are the opportunities for CCNA associates in gulf??

plz reply...........

Predator
12-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Getting 849/1000 is a tough task , i just scraped through with 860 . Microsoft papers are comparitively easier as you have to score only 70% to pass

Salahudeen
12-16-2009, 07:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Airforce
Getting 849/1000 is a tough task , i just scraped through with 860 . Microsoft papers are comparitively easier as you have to score only 70% to pass

mashallah bro, can you teach me about some topics?? lol I'm lost at times in uni :(

Predator
12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by squiggle
mashallah bro, can you teach me about some topics?? lol I'm lost at times in uni :(
Which topics are you finding hard , bro ?
I felt the simulation is the most critical question as it carries the most marks in the exam , one wrong simulation is most likely to result in failure

Salahudeen
12-19-2009, 02:15 PM
I felt the simulation is the most critical question as it carries the most marks in the exam , one wrong simulation is most likely to result in failure
bro I just started the course and we're going over the basics, but the teacher is from India and doesn't have very good english :( so I'm doing loads of independant learning.

I've having trouble with subnetting and IP addressing. imsad

cat eyes
12-19-2009, 02:54 PM
my gosh a teacher should be able to know the full English language especially one who teaches mature students. reminds me of when i was having problems with my internet connection and i rang the helpline an indian guy answered did not have a clue what he was saying ;D

I<3Bush
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Yea I had a teacher who was spanish and had a very bad english accent. Most of the IT classes down here are what I like to call "self taught" simply because the teachers really don't do much. And these 2 - 4 hour classes sometimes only last 30 mins... The only tip I can really give you is to get deeply involved in the material and any simulations. The material I got was all online directly from cisco and they had tons of interactive stuff. If that is what you have as well, just do them over and over until you understand it. And a tip for the teacher with bad english thing, just right down any questions you have and email them to him so that way you don't have to try and understand what he is saying. My teacher types english better than he can speak it so maybe its the same with yours :p

Salahudeen
12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by cat eyes
my gosh a teacher should be able to know the full English language especially one who teaches mature students. reminds me of when i was having problems with my internet connection and i rang the helpline an indian guy answered did not have a clue what he was saying ;D
that's what I thought, it's a bit stupid having foreigners who can just about speak english teaching a degree level course :raging:

format_quote Originally Posted by I<3Bush
Yea I had a teacher who was spanish and had a very bad english accent. Most of the IT classes down here are what I like to call "self taught" simply because the teachers really don't do much. And these 2 - 4 hour classes sometimes only last 30 mins... The only tip I can really give you is to get deeply involved in the material and any simulations. The material I got was all online directly from cisco and they had tons of interactive stuff. If that is what you have as well, just do them over and over until you understand it. And a tip for the teacher with bad english thing, just right down any questions you have and email them to him so that way you don't have to try and understand what he is saying. My teacher types english better than he can speak it so maybe its the same with yours :p
mines the same it's online but there's so much to read and I'm not comprehending it at times, If I read it with comprehension I'll be there for 2 days literally I'm not joking with you.

Abdul Qadir
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Argh..dun insult an indian!!!

Danah
02-11-2010, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by karim5sd
Companies, Governmental establishments, Collages.

Abdul Qadir
02-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Assalamu'Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaathu..anyone here working as an NOC(network operations control) helpdesk engineer? i just got a job as one over here in Singapore...Am starting on 1st of March inshallah..any brothers/sisters/in-betweens to share their experience?

Abdul Qadir
02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ibn Al Aqwa

is anyone doing the Cisco course?

Any of it?

if so, how was it?

want to know how hard it was, and how you though it was. i.e. good/bad.
Im taking the exam ICND2 next month insyallah...i have passed ICND1 alhamdulillah...but im not taking any course...just practising on my own..i have 4 routers, and 3 switches...brother ibn Al Aqwa, are u more into networking or systems?

Abdul Qadir
02-19-2010, 09:14 AM
[jannat] [B]
Also Cisco CCNA is the easier level to just alone CCNA.. I would actually recommend who ever is going to take the courses go for the Cisco CNNA instead CCNA alone.. They go easier and easier every year and they change *Some*

[
what u mean by that? Cisco CCNA is one of the toughest papers around...its never easy to pass a Cisco paper even with dumps...

Vito
02-19-2010, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir
Assalamu'Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaathu..anyone here working as an NOC(network operations control) helpdesk engineer? i just got a job as one over here in Singapore...Am starting on 1st of March inshallah..any brothers/sisters/in-betweens to share their experience?
Congratulations. I would love to work there for the experience but unfortunately, things are rather slow over here. I had a guy in my class who worked in one but he was telling us how people were getting laid off. I imagine thats how it is in other companies in the area.

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 12:07 AM
brothers I plan to do voluntary work and get my foot in the door that way, You guys do the same if you can't get a job :p and get promoted to management then give me a job ;D

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 01:45 AM
Im taking the exam ICND2 next month insyallah...i have passed ICND1 alhamdulillah...but im not taking any course...just practising on my own..i have 4 routers, and 3 switches...brother ibn Al Aqwa, are u more into networking or systems?
:O

I have my exam booked for Thurs, still cant get my head around Switching Concepts :S

After your CCNA (Inshallah you pass your ICND2) what are your plans? I hear the CCNP is changing this year so I think ill wait.

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 01:54 AM
bro I just started the course and we're going over the basics, but the teacher is from India and doesn't have very good english :( so I'm doing loads of independant learning.

Another Brummie doing Cisco :D (Small World)

Subnetting and IP addressing is/are easy. Bar far the best Video Tutor ive seen is Chris Bryant Check out his Youtube Page. im sure hes got a tutorial online (iv got it in .wmv format can up it if you want)

Im finding Switching a Pain :skeleton:.

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nimboo

I have my exam booked for Thurs, still cant get my head around Switching Concepts :S

After your CCNA (Inshallah you pass your ICND2) what are your plans? I hear the CCNP is changing this year so I think ill wait.
have u got ur CCNA? i would not jump straight away to CCNP..unless my company sends me for a course...i would take MCITP..coz i want to learm about systems..that would make me closer to being holistic in the IT field...

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM

Subnetting and IP addressing is/are easy. Bar far the best Video Tutor ive seen is Chris Bryant Check out his Youtube Page. im sure hes got a tutorial online (iv got it in .wmv format can up it if you want)

switching is blardy easy once u have hands on...i suggest u go thru the chirs bryant's training signal video on switching(its a 3 hour long video). then u do a lab on switching. then, u go thru the training signal video AGAIN..switching should be a breeze...initially, i was like u too...but trust me, try this and get back to me...

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 01:11 PM
yeap..thats y u can't stress the use of a home lab enuff...u need alot of hands on...

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXN5X...eature=related

watch all the five parts, and subnetting would be a breeze to u inshallah..u absolutely MUST watch all these 5 videos...it really made be master subnetting...i will pm u...

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 01:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by -Kai-
Congratulations. I would love to work there for the experience but unfortunately, things are rather slow over here. I had a guy in my class who worked in one but he was telling us how people were getting laid off. I imagine thats how it is in other companies in the area.
where do u stay brother? singapore? well, I would welcome u with both arms..its a good place to be in...and im planning to work in the middle east...before that, am gona take a degree....people getting laid off in IT field is normal...but the good thing is, as easy it is for an IT professional to get laid off, it is also easy to find another job...there are many many openings...

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 02:36 PM

lol you are from Birmingham also?? where are you studying cisco? I'm at BCU uni :p

jazakallah khair for the vid. I'll check it out. You know I'm studying it in uni it's so anoying cos we don't focus solely on networking, we have about 5 different other units also like business.

When I applied for the course I thought it would just be about computer networks, and we have long written exams where they tell us to describe stuff like the encapsulation process imsad

but the stupid thing is with a degree in computer networks you still won't be able to get a job without CCNA so I'll probably have to do the CCNA after my degree which is a waste of time, I should have just done that in the first place imsad

I was under the misconeption that I got to do the CNNA certificate on my course but we're just covering the curriculam. It's all internal imsad we have cisco exams on the NET ACAD website but we don't actually get a cisco certificate imsad

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 02:38 PM
where do u stay brother? singapore? well, I would welcome u with both arms..its a good place to be in...and im planning to work in the middle east...before that, am gona take a degree....people getting laid off in IT field is normal...but the good thing is, as easy it is for an IT professional to get laid off, it is also easy to find another job...there are many many openings...
hey!! that's my goal, I want to end up in middle east eventually Insha Allah :) do you think there's need for networking people there? I wanna go Saudi :shade:

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 02:39 PM
lol you are from Birmingham also?? where are you studying cisco? I'm at BCU uni :p

jazakallah khair for the vid. I'll check it out. You know I'm studying it in uni it's so anoying cos we don't focus solely on networking, we have about 5 different other units also like business.

When I applied for the course I thought it would just be about computer networks, and we have long written exams where they tell us to describe stuff like the encapsulation process imsad

but the stupid thing is with a degree in computer networks you still won't be able to get a job without CCNA so I'll probably have to do the CCNA after my degree which is a waste of time, I should have just done that in the first place imsad

I was under the misconeption that I got to do the CNNA certificate on my course but we're just covering the curriculam. It's all internal imsad we have cisco exams on the NET ACAD website but we don't actually get a cisco certificate imsad
u shouldn't just stick to networking...yes, the money is there...but its better to be a bit more holistic by studying system engineering..study about the different operationg systems etc...have u thought about taking MCITP?

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
u shouldn't just stick to networking...yes, the money is there...but its better to be a bit more holistic by studying system engineering..study about the different operationg systems etc...have u thought about taking MCITP?

ah ok, yeah they are masking us study about operating systems also like linux, I have no clue what MCITP is :embarrass

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 02:52 PM
ah ok, yeah they are masking us study about operating systems also like linux, I have no clue what MCITP is :embarrass
MCITP(Microsoft certified IT professional) is the new syllabus for MSCE(Microsoft certified system engineer)...its got the latest operating system like windows 2008...its more into systems...yes..unix, linux are very important if ur going to go into systems...systems engineering role is more multi-dimensional than networking...there are many many things u can specialise in system engineering..and heck, u even get to learn networking as a systems engineer...there is software and hardware too...unlike networking, where its only hardware...

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 02:57 PM
MCITP(Microsoft certified IT professional) is the new syllabus for MSCE(Microsoft certified system engineer)...its got the latest operating system like windows 2008...its more into systems...yes..unix, linux are very important if ur going to go into systems...systems engineering role is more multi-dimensional than networking...there are many many things u can specialise in system engineering..and heck, u even get to learn networking as a systems engineer...there is software and hardware too...unlike networking, where its only hardware...

hmm sounds interesting, I will give it a try after my degree, I want something that will make employers grab me :hmm: I wanna go middle east so badly.

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I wanna go middle east so badly.
BROTHER!!! ME TOO!!!

try this:

www.gulftalent.com

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 03:13 PM
BROTHER!!! ME TOO!!!

try this:

www.gulftalent.com
I don't understand why everyone wants to go to the Middle East. I went through that phase a few years ago, then I realised, Shaytaans everywhere, no matter how Islamic the country is.

Alhamdullilah Im going to make the best of what I Have in this country (UK), IT work is bountiful, and if I need some sunshine ill go on a little tour across the Med :D

squiggle, Can PM cause I dont have >50 posts. Heres the link to the Subnetting Vids : hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/353338970/Archive.zip

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 03:14 PM
BROTHER!!! ME TOO!!!

try this:

www.gulftalent.com
Jazakallah khair :) I've added it to my favourites :p hey you know what, in my 3rd year I have a placement year where I do a job for 1 year and then come back to uni for my final year. What companies you think are good to do a 1 year placement with? :p I'll even do it voluntary if I have to.

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I don't understand why everyone wants to go to the Middle East. I went through that phase a few years ago, then I realised, Shaytaans everywhere, no matter how Islamic the country is.

Alhamdullilah Im going to make the best of what I Have in this country (UK), IT work is bountiful, and if I need some sunshine ill go on a little tour across the Med :D

squiggle, Can PM cause I dont have >50 posts. Heres the link to the Subnetting Vids : hxxp://rapidshare.com/files/353338970/Archive.zip
bro, u are right..but the reason y i want to go middle east is to make hijrah and to master the arabic language....its for the sake of Allah...purely...

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Jazakallah khair :) I've added it to my favourites :p hey you know what, in my 3rd year I have a placement year where I do a job for 1 year and then come back to uni for my final year. What companies you think are good to do a 1 year placement with? :p I'll even do it voluntary if I have to.
im not really sure about companies brother...im still new to work life too..=)..may Allah give us the best...

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 03:31 PM
im not really sure about companies brother...im still new to work life too..=)..may Allah give us the best...
ameen brother : )

jazakallah khair bro downloading it, I wanna go Middle East especially saudi cos I have life long dream to live in Makkah or Medina :p and when I'm there I would like to study part time in the Islamic universities under the sheikhs :p maybe in the evenings or weekend courses :p

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 03:46 PM
ameen brother : )

jazakallah khair bro downloading it, I wanna go Middle East especially saudi cos I have life long dream to live in Makkah or Medina :p and when I'm there I would like to study part time in the Islamic universities under the sheikhs :p maybe in the evenings or weekend courses :p
Me too!!! =) Insyallah...how old are u squiggle?

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I wont sugar coat any thing but companies in the Gulf are a Bit Weird. They want 3-4 years Practical Experience in Oil (Gulf Oil is one I applied to, Passed the phone interview, when it came to arranging an Interview, they said they couldn't progress because I have no exposure to an Oil company) or Aviation (Emirates is alright, they treat you quite bad, pay aint great, but you get an appartment (fully paid, inc food ;D) and 2 Flights a month back to the UK for emergencies), and a MBA (which you cant get until you have 2 years practical experience in management) :S. Getting your foot in the door without experience is tough.

Look out for the Dubai Job Fair in London, defo the place to be if you want some guidance to life/work in the middle east, but i aint seen one for 3 years now :S, which says alot.

Talk to your Placement Officer at your university, im sure they will have something in the Pipeline. If they don't just finish your degree and then look. Unless your a 1st class student, the Big Boys like MS and HP wont even bother with you, even for a placement*.

Your placement Officer could land you a place with some nice "Blue Chip" Companies in the Midlands Area, such as; Sun Microsystems @ Warwick University ~20 Mins from Birmingham City Center if you boot it down Cov road, HP/Fujitsu in Telford ~30-40 mins max, Cap Gemini in Aston, Interserve in West Bromwhich and Erdington, PWC in the City Center (£16 per hour for an on site techy last I checked), but since the economy is :exhausted, Employers arnt looking for Interns, and if they are they get bombarded with applications.

What a friend of mine did was that he Volunteered for is University and worked as a Techy in the library. Got some hands on experience and after his degree, he landed a well paid junior role.

Hope I didn't put you off, Welcome to the real world (Neo?) :D

*Knowing Someone in these companies can help ;)

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I wont sugar coat any thing but companies in the Gulf are a Bit Weird. They want 3-4 years Practical Experience in Oil (Gulf Oil is one I applied to, Passed the phone interview, when it came to arranging an Interview, they said they couldn't progress because I have no exposure to an Oil company) or Aviation (Emirates is alright, they treat you quite bad, pay aint great, but you get an appartment (fully paid, inc food ;D) and 2 Flights a month back to the UK for emergencies), and a MBA (which you cant get until you have 2 years practical experience in management) :S. Getting your foot in the door without experience is tough.

Look out for the Dubai Job Fair in London, defo the place to be if you want some guidance to life/work in the middle east, but i aint seen one for 3 years now :S, which says alot.

Talk to your Placement Officer at your university, im sure they will have something in the Pipeline. If they don't just finish your degree and then look. Unless your a 1st class student, the Big Boys like MS and HP wont even bother with you, even for a placement*.

Your placement Officer could land you a place with some nice "Blue Chip" Companies in the Midlands Area, such as; Sun Microsystems @ Warwick University ~20 Mins from Birmingham City Center if you boot it down Cov road, HP/Fujitsu in Telford ~30-40 mins max, Cap Gemini in Aston, Interserve in West Bromwhich and Erdington, PWC in the City Center (£16 per hour for an on site techy last I checked), but since the economy is :exhausted, Employers arnt looking for Interns, and if they are they get bombarded with applications.

What a friend of mine did was that he Volunteered for is University and worked as a Techy in the library. Got some hands on experience and after his degree, he landed a well paid junior role.

bro, what u mean practical experience in oil? im in the IT field..so if i apply for a job IT related, im sure they won't be talking about oil!!!

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 03:58 PM
bro, what u mean practical experience in oil? im in the IT field..so if i apply for a job IT related, im sure they won't be talking about oil!!!
I know, that was exactly my response. But what they want is a thorough understanding of how IT (Software/Hardware/Management) is used in the Oil Industry.

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I know, that was exactly my response. But what they want is a thorough understanding of how IT (Software/Hardware/Management) is used in the Oil Industry.
haizz..that doesn't sound rosy..thats too much of an ask dun u think?

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 04:10 PM
haizz..that doesn't sound rosy..thats too much of an ask dun u think?
Yup they want the "best".

Just to let you know, In the Middle East, the Week End starts on Thursday as they have Friday (Jumma) and Saturday Off, which means Sunday is Work Day :hmm:

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Me too!!! =) Insyallah...how old are u squiggle?
I'm 21 bro, in first year of uni so I will be 25 when I finish uni, then my plan is to work here for 5-6 years till I'm 30-31 get experience then start applying to middle east. One of my teachers opened his own networking company in Dubai also.

I might try getting his contact details but I don't wanna go to Dubai, anywhere else apart from the 2 holy cities would be second best for me imsad my uncle also wants to do the same and he is getting a degree in english so he can become english teacher, he said they desperately want english teachers in Middle East.

hmmm I might volunteer for my university also and work with the network staff there, I'm not really fussed about pay I just wanna learn how to do the job. If not my university then I will apply to my old school and college.

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Yup they want the "best".

Just to let you know, In the Middle East, the Week End starts on Thursday as they have Friday (Jumma) and Saturday Off, which means Sunday is Work Day :hmm:
im okay with that!! lol...sunday is the day for christians...our day is friday...haiz..im demoralised about the oil thingy man...maybe i wanna work in petrol station as an oil pump assistant...lol...and when they ask me about oil...i will tell them, "never smoke in a petrol kiosk"..and they will be like..WOW! this guy is awesome...*dreams*

Abdul Qadir
02-20-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm 21 bro, in first year of uni so I will be 25 when I finish uni, then my plan is to work here for 5-6 years till I'm 30-31 get experience then start applying to middle east. One of my teachers opened his own networking company in Dubai also.

I might try getting his contact details but I don't wanna go to Dubai, anywhere else apart from the 2 holy cities would be second best for me imsad my uncle also wants to do the same and he is getting a degree in english so he can become english teacher, he said they desperately want english teachers in Middle East.

hmmm I might volunteer for my university also and work with the network staff there, I'm not really fussed about pay I just wanna learn how to do the job. If not my university then I will apply to my old school and college.
ok...inshallah...

nazeer_uk
02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
salaam brothers and sisters,

Was wondering if anyone has done the Cisco's Academy (CCNA)? If so, would like to know that the materials/ subjects covered in the curriculum is enough to pass the CCNA exam?

Thanks in advance

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nazeer_uk
salaam brothers and sisters,

Was wondering if anyone has done the Cisco's Academy (CCNA)? If so, would like to know that the materials/ subjects covered in the curriculum is enough to pass the CCNA exam?

Thanks in advance
there's four different parts, CCNA1,2,3 and 4.

CCNA 1 networking basics

CCNA 2 routing and lan protocols

CCNA 3 Lan switching and wireless

CCNA 4 I don't know.

nazeer_uk
02-20-2010, 10:19 PM

CCNA 1 networking basics

CCNA 4 I don't know.
So have you completed the Academy bro? Do you know if it is enough to pass the CCNA?

Salahudeen
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM
So have you completed the Academy bro? Do you know if it is enough to pass the CCNA?
I'm not sure bro I'm doing it with uni and it's all internal. If I want to go for CCNA I have to do it when I graduate imsad

Nimboo
02-20-2010, 11:06 PM

CCNA 1 networking basics

CCNA 4 I don't know.
They changed the Certifications a few years back. The CCNA certification can be achieved by:

Either completing One Exam: CCNA
or
Obtaining a CCENT (CCND1)

&

Obtaining a CCND2

The topics for individual Certification can be found @ http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le...aths_home.html

It all depends on what you enjoy doing (Security, Voice, Design or Wireless). Routing @ Associate Level is Obligatory.

nazeer_uk
02-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure bro I'm doing it with uni and it's all internal. If I want to go for CCNA I have to do it when I graduate imsad
Yea Im doing it at college, but what Im afraid for is that it is not enough and that I have to study more for CCNA. Though the course is good but the lecturers tell me that it "prepares" us, but Im sure that they would saying anything just to keep me paying :hmm:

Vito
02-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm almost done with school and I can tell you right now that what my college "taught" me wasn't even close to being enough for me to take the ccna. I bought a really nice ccna book (two big books) and I felt I could of gotten my ccna a long time ago if I took this route. The only reason why I even go to school is so I can get a degree and then if I ever wanted to, I can continue my education at a university.

Vito
02-21-2010, 03:45 PM
No I'm in the u.s. You're right though there are many IT jobs which is why it pays to be diverse in this field. Unfortunately they all ask for a lot of years experience. Not too long ago I would of taken an internship position (with or without pay) but, right now I need money. I really wanted to get a job within the IT field but I think I'm going to have to take whatever I can get right now.

nightingale
02-21-2010, 03:59 PM
hey!! that's my goal, I want to end up in middle east eventually Insha Allah :) do you think there's need for networking people there? I wanna go Saudi :shade:
:hmm:...I am in the Middle East, with a CCNA and others. With no luck in getting a good job, I let it expire this month.imsad

Salahudeen
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightingale
:hmm:...I am in the Middle East, with a CCNA and others. With no luck in getting a good job, I let it expire this month.imsad
imsad I'm sorry 2 hear that brother, it's a hard time to get a job at the moment.

nightingale
02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
imsad I'm sorry 2 hear that brother, it's a hard time to get a job at the moment.
I am a sister, may be men have better chances in this field.

nazeer_uk
02-21-2010, 08:09 PM
:sl: sister,

can you please tell me what does most companies require from CCNA's ie experience ect as Im looking to work in the Middle East in a couple of years time inshallah, and so far I cant find any job website's that cover that area of the world.

jazakallah khair

Salahudeen
02-21-2010, 11:42 PM
maybe, I have no experience with the Middle East so wouldn't be able to say but I don't think that is the case here, I have seen female network assistants not loads but have seen them.

Nimboo
02-22-2010, 12:12 AM
:sl: sister,

can you please tell me what does most companies require from CCNA's ie experience ect as Im looking to work in the Middle East in a couple of years time inshallah, and so far I cant find any job website's that cover that area of the world.

jazakallah khair
Your responsibilities will be to Analyse, Design, Implement, Troubleshoot and evolve all aspects of the enterprise network.

nazeer_uk
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Your responsibilities will be to Analyse, Design, Implement, Troubleshoot and evolve all aspects of the enterprise network.
Thanks bro, but I was looking for how many years roughly of experience is expected from us. I wanted to compare to the uk market

Abdul Qadir
02-23-2010, 11:04 AM
yeaps..men are usually better at technical things than women..this is my personal view...

Nimboo
02-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks bro, but I was looking for how many years roughly of experience is expected from us. I wanted to compare to the uk market

Comparing one country's market with another is like comparing Oranges to Apples. e.g. HP in Doha will have different work ethics and recruitment policies to HP in India.

Its better to compare organisations, but that's the hard part, there is too much bureaucracy in every organisation. Every organisation has different expectations of a prospective employee and different employment procedures.

Once you have your foot in the door, it all depends on YOU and how far YOUR organisation will allow YOU to use YOUR skills.

Subhanallah, I know a contractor who in just 3 years (after switching careers from being a plumber :omg:) has moved from basic network diagnostics (1st line or Junior Network Role) to being part of the Design or 4th Line team, where solutions to an organisations network are drawn up.

Hope that helps.

nazeer_uk
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Comparing one country's market with another is like comparing Oranges to Apples. e.g. HP in Doha will have different work ethics and recruitment policies to HP in India.

Its better to compare organisations, but that's the hard part, there is too much bureaucracy in every organisation. Every organisation has different expectations of a prospective employee and different employment procedures.

Once you have your foot in the door, it all depends on YOU and how far YOUR organisation will allow YOU to use YOUR skills.

Subhanallah, I know a contractor who in just 3 years (after switching careers from being a plumber :omg:) has moved from basic network diagnostics (1st line or Junior Network Role) to being part of the Design or 4th Line team, where solutions to an organisations network are drawn up.

Hope that helps.
Thanks bro, this has gave me a little insight into what I would prob expect. :D

Mashallah to that brother who changed career and now working in designing networks. :thumbs_up

nazeer_uk
02-26-2010, 01:58 PM

Does anyone have any materials or links that can help me on renforce my knowledge on subnetting and VLSM please.

KittenLover
02-26-2010, 02:17 PM

Does anyone have any materials or links that can help me on renforce my knowledge on subnetting and VLSM please.
brother go through the thread, somewhere a brother posted a pdf on subnetting.

Nimboo
02-27-2010, 09:54 PM

Does anyone have any materials or links that can help me on reinforce my knowledge on subnetting and VLSM please.
I can Upload the Train Signal Videos (Chris Bryant), but not until next week, i have a busy 80 hour week ;D

nazeer_uk
03-02-2010, 09:19 PM
I can Upload the Train Signal Videos (Chris Bryant), but not until next week, i have a busy 80 hour week ;D
I would be much appreciative bro if you could :D. I need to nail Cisco Academy then CCNA :shade:

Salahudeen
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
I would be much appreciative bro if you could :D. I need to nail Cisco Academy then CCNA :shade:
The video's are really good I prefer this way instead of reading the books.

nazeer_uk
03-03-2010, 04:26 PM
The video's are really good I prefer this way instead of reading the books.
I kinda agree, for me it depends on the subject, there are somethings that are needed to be shown to be understood.

Abdul Qadir
03-26-2010, 03:55 PM
networking knowledge is of little use if one has got little or no knowledge of systems, os, servers etc...do u have mcse or mcitp? mcsa/mcse/mcitp is like a hat..ccna is just like a feather to decorate the hat...well, at least this is what i have been taught and have experienced in my job hunt..Systems is always easier than networking..i would trade in my ccna for mcsa anytime..lol..

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.