/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying a knife for self defence

Blackpool
12-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Do you agree with people carrying a weapon for self defence? I have known many people to have been attacked randomly and a mate of mine was attacked earlier tonight near Blackpool walking past a bridge. Had he carried a weapon such as a knife then that would have been a huge deterrent and would have likely prevented the attack.

I have often wondered whether to attach an army swiss knife to my keyring for cases of self defence. I don't get into any trouble but I've seen people that have. Had they pulled out a weapon their injuries would have been less severe or probably non existent.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
12-05-2009, 01:51 AM
I do and I do.. I prefer the swiss army knife

but I also have

which is possibly your best bet...

ardianto
12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Salam Blackpool.

If you don't know how to 'use' knife, it possible becomes a dangerous weapon for yourself. It's better if you get a training of martial art.

I know few martial art master who live in 'dangerous area', but they never carried weapon because their bodies are weapons. Do you understand what I mean ?.

tango92
12-05-2009, 07:44 AM
a knife is a weapon of attack not defense, anyway a knife on your keyring will be pretty tough to weild in a street fight.

"one sec mate, lemme just detach my knife from my keyring"
"yh sure..."

stabs victim and steals all his money

no harm can befall you, except as God wishes.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
12-05-2009, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
a knife is a weapon of attack not defense, anyway a knife on your keyring will be pretty tough to weild in a street fight.
so true, a best defense is a good offense.. there are multiple usages to a swiss knife though..
"yh sure..."
lol.. so true.. I think if a person is headed toward a dark alley to retrieve their car or whatever that they should have their weapon handy, whatever it may be.

or worst kill them imsad I almost mauled a guy with my car once, the only thing that saved me (was Allah swt) the moron was a stuporous drunk so it was easy to outrun him to my car and then started it and really was going to kill him with my front grills but he got out of the way on time.. It was creepy bas al7mdlillah, Allah swt saved me.. I had no reservations whatsoever to kill that guy and that was the scariest of all..
very wise parting words..

:wa:

Somaiyah
12-05-2009, 02:58 PM
Salam,
I don't like weapons and I avoid being out when it's dark and I am never on bad places either. But when I really have to go out in the dark, like throwing garbage or buy food (specially now when it's dark here much more hours per day), then I bring a scissors in my pocket just in case.

Abdul Qadir
12-05-2009, 03:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Blackpool
Do you agree with people carrying a weapon for self defence? I have known many people to have been attacked randomly and a mate of mine was attacked earlier tonight near Blackpool walking past a bridge. Had he carried a weapon such as a knife then that would have been a huge deterrent and would have likely prevented the attack.

I have often wondered whether to attach an army swiss knife to my keyring for cases of self defence. I don't get into any trouble but I've seen people that have. Had they pulled out a weapon their injuries would have been less severe or probably non existent.
better to carry a sword or a gun brother...

afzalaung
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
i was actually thinking of getting a licensed gun/air gun once i move to a remote residential area. You can never be too safe.

Otherwise, i might have to settle for a Rambo knife or a Taser. The main purpose will be to intimidate the potential aggressor.

crayon
12-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Confound them with pepper spray. Then either run away or punch their lights out- depending on the situation.

Trumble
12-05-2009, 04:19 PM
In Blackpool?! Just getting caught carrying a knife that would serve as any sort of 'deterrent' is likely to result in a custodial sentence. The reason for doing so is not relevant in a UK court, i.e. it wouldn't even matter whether it's sole intended use was deterrence or not even in the unlikely event you could prove it.

Cobblers. But you can stop wondering. In the best case scenario your attacker might just laugh at you. In the worst, you'll end up with your own knife stuck in your face or stomach. A Swiss army knife is marginally more useful for self defence than a peashooter.

Martial arts are good providing that a) they have some relevance to street fighting and b) you have absolutely no illusions about your own competance, or lack of it, in using them. An even more useful skill is being able to run faster and further than the other guy. Best solution, though, is probably the loud noise thingie - they are far more effective than you might think because of the disorientation effect they have. It will buy you just long enough to leg it far enough away to be too much trouble to pursue.

Virtually everything else suggested above is not legal in the UK. Which isn't a problem in itself until you find yourself in Court either being prosecuted by the authorities, or sued by your attacker!

cat eyes
12-05-2009, 06:20 PM
:sl:i think its better to learn kick boxing then carry a knife its all very fine and good to carry a weapon but you have to know how to use it. my brothers friend is a black belt and hes well known around the area where i live nobody dares come near him

Supreme
12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
It's funny, my sensei was teaching us about knife defense the other day. He essentially said that our hands were our weapons for self defense, and that most people carry knives because they require very little skill and training in comparison to karate. Knives are incredibly dangerous, especiallly if someone puts one next to your face. It can be psychologically defeating to any victim of knife crime having half their face hanging off or being blinded. I abhor knives. In my opinion, they are nothing more than cutlery utensil, and when used to attack someone, they are used by cowards with little skill and little training. So no, I do not agree with carrying a knife, whether it be for self defense or offense.

Martial arts are good providing that a) they have some relevance to street fighting and b) you have absolutely no illusions about your own competance, or lack of it, in using them. An even more useful skill is being able to run faster and further than the other guy. Best solution, though, is probably the loud noise thingie - they are far more effective than you might think because of the disorientation effect they have. It will buy you just long enough to leg it far enough away to be too much trouble to pursue.
I agree completely. Even for those of us who have been doing karate for years, running is always the best option, for everyone involved. Knife crime is very serious, and it is no time to chance it when a fancy roundkick or combo.

S_87
12-05-2009, 10:39 PM
tbh even if i carried a knife i dont think id be able to use it :-\
but these days some form of SD is definitely needed

Eric H
12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Blackpool,

I would say it is wrong to carry a knife at any time, and I have been set upon by a group of youths, one of whom was carrying a knife.

On a Friday night I volunteer to go out late as a Street Pastor, we come into contact with large groups of youths, in some fairly isolated places. Sometime they have been drinking some times there are drugs, we never really know what their mood might be until we make contact.

I am 60, and the lady who comes out as my partner is the same kind of age, we don’t do running or self defence. We put our trust in God and the power of prayer, back at the church there are people praying for our needs and the needs of the community.

At times when I should be feeling anxious and fearful, I can only say that I experience the opposite, that is an inner peace that transcends all my understanding.

Often we have to put up with a lot of abuse, but if we have the courage and the faith to stay, there seems a turning point. It seems a lot of the aggression is a veneer, underneath they are good at heart, it is trying to search and bring out the good in all people.

In the spirit of praying for an inner peace that transcends all understanding

Eric

Somaiyah
12-06-2009, 01:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
Salam,
Better use something in self defence and hurt the other person, than risk to getting raped or attacked in another way. You don't have to kill the person, just hit and run if it's needed. I wanted to get pepper spray but then I realized that people with astma can die from pepper spray and it's also illegal in Sweden... Not good. Not even legal to walk around with a knife for self defence, that's why I have a scissors lol.

Muslim Woman
12-06-2009, 03:41 AM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye

but I also have

does it give electric shock or something like that ? May Allah protect u and us sis .

جوري
12-06-2009, 04:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
:sl:

does it give electric shock or something like that ? May Allah protect u and us sis .
yes it is a zapper, the downside is that you constantly have to recharge it, which is annoying, so you lose interest after a while.. I hope they make it so it is battery operated with a meter that tells you the level of battery power so it works when one actually needs it.. I always wonder why the manufacturers don't think of practical things like that?

I mean it is good that it looks like a regular flash light (I have walked into govt. buildings with it undetected as a weapon) but those other things are important too .....

:wa:

Danah
12-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Alhumdulilah in the society I live in there is no need to carry such things while walking....in most cases, I don't go to any isolated places alone, I always prefer to have one of my brothers with me to feel safe.
In general I found that the best and strongest weapon to be protected against any harm whatsoever is to make sure that you recite all your day/night duaa "supplications" before you leave the home and then you will never ever fear anything.
May Allah protect us all from harm

Supreme
12-06-2009, 01:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani
What do you mean 'these days'?

There's always been a need for self defense, it isn't a new invention.

ardianto
12-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Many people assume, if they have Self Defense Weapon they are safe. No, that's wrong. SD weapon maybe useless if we don't know how is the right technique for use it or if we are scared when we facing a criminal, even our SD weapon can be used by criminal for hurt ourselves. That's why blades is not recommended as SD weapon.

If we want to defense ourselves, it's better if we learn martial art. In martial art training, trainer not only trains us how to fight but also train our mentality.

But actually, the best protection from crime is knowledge about crime. What are crime modus, who and how are the criminals, who and what are their target, and how to avoid crime.

When I was young some people told me I was crazy because sometime I walked alone in the midnight trough unsafe areas. No, I was not crazy but I always observed the situation before I pass an area and I always careful. Of course, I will not pass an area if I see that area maybe is dangerous.

GuestFellow
12-06-2009, 03:16 PM
No one should carry a knife. It is not self-defence since slashing someone with a knife would not be considered reasonable force. Knifes can cause a lot of damage and even fatal in some cases.

People need to be more creative. You don't need a knife for self-defence. I remember carrying a small bottle of very cold water while I was going back home from school. A student who never liked me wanted to fight me...I threw the water at his face, punched him and ran. ;D

Supreme
12-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I think if we all carried bottles of cold water, the world of defense would be a far brighter place.

Supreme
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Also, may I just say, it's actually defence, not defense. The former is the original spelling, the latter is an American fabrication...

GuestFellow
12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Supreme
I think if we all carried bottles of cold water, the world of defense would be a far brighter place.
It always works! :statisfie

OurIslamic
12-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Salam bro,
JUst carry a small can of pepper spray with you, it's much easier to carry and is LOADS more effective.

smile
12-06-2009, 05:40 PM
i think carrying a knife is fine
specially if living in a country with a high crime rate

Somaiyah
12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
Salam bro,
JUst carry a small can of pepper spray with you, it's much easier to carry and is LOADS more effective.
Salam,
Which is still not good because people can get allergic reactions and die. Your intentions is not to kill the person, but to protect yourself and make the other one step back.

GuestFellow
12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
I should add attacking someone with unreasonable force can get you into trouble and others who have happened to witness the attack and did not report it to the police can get into trouble as well and be charged with the same offence. I think the same applies to self-defense.

Eric H
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Danah;

In general I found that the best and strongest weapon to be protected against any harm whatsoever is to make sure that you recite all your day/night duaa "supplications" before you leave the home and then you will never ever fear anything.
May Allah protect us all from harm
Amen

In the spirit of praying for an inner peace that surpasses all understanding

Eric

Ansariyah
12-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Sometimes a weapon only makes things worse. Many times people end up killing someone, n in court they say 'I really didnt want to kill him, I just wanted to scare him:hmm:?

I once heard a story that this guy woke up in the middle of the night, he heard a noise thinking it was some robber as he was carrying a gun in the dark looking.. he ended up shooting his lil daughter:(

A fist cannot help u when someone has u at gun point, but how likely is it that u'll end up in a situation like that? Very unlikely.. unless u associate wit bad people or go where bad people go. But generally speaking if someone attacks u..Fight!

aadil77
12-06-2009, 11:52 PM
or a magazine like jason bourne

Self defence is your best bet, In jkd you learn about tackling knife situations you can probably learn it in most martial arts. Carrying a knife will probably get you in more trouble, then you'll have a whole knife weilding society, not to mention any names .....(east london)

Woodrow
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM

In my younger days I was always heaviy armed. Usually had a visible .357 Colt Magnum in a belt holster. A Colt 1911A1 in a shoulder holster and a .38 Remington Derringer in an Ankle holster.Got into more fights I care to mention. Got smart took a few karate lessons and stopped carrying a weapon, never had another fight.

Sadly when a person carries a weapon, it seems to attract challengers. Also very often an assailant takes the weapon away and uses it against the holder.

If you feel a need to carry a weapon become very well trained in self defense tactics needed to use it. Paradoxically after being trained most people discover they do not need to carry a weapon.

IslamicRevival
12-07-2009, 01:36 AM
No one should carry a knife around. Imagine you are in a fit of anger and you had a knife in your pocket, Wouldn't you be tempted to use it against the individual who made you angry? I would have thought yes you would. Its unhealthy to carry a knife, it gives you a false sense of confidence for one and its a killer weapon. Avoid carrying something which can kill another person. Allah Hu Akbar :( It makes me sad just writing the last sentence

Anyway, I would recommend boxing to anyone who wants to learn how to defend themselves, It teaches you discipline, self control and its fantastic for fitness purposes too.

Woodrow
12-07-2009, 02:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Troubled Soul
No one should carry a knife around. Imagine you are in a fit of anger and you had a knife in your pocket, Wouldn't you be tempted to use it against the individual who made you angry? I would have thought yes you would. Its unhealthy to carry a knife, it gives you a false sense of confidence for one and its a killer weapon. Avoid carrying something which can kill another person. Allah Hu Akbar :( It makes me sad just writing the last sentence

Anyway, I would recommend boxing to anyone who wants to learn how to defend themselves, It teaches you discipline, self control and its fantastic for fitness purposes too.
I agree Boxing or any of the matial arts is the best choice for several reasons.

1. The discipline required teaches you to control your anger

2. It can not be taken away and used against you

3. You are not likely to accidentally injure an innocent bstander

4. It teaches you how to prevent a physical confrontation, before things reach that point

5. It is healthy and effective exercise

ardianto
12-07-2009, 04:01 AM
Boxing is a good martial art. However, criminal always carry weapons such as knife, stick or gun. So, I recommend karate for self defense.

Misty
12-07-2009, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree Boxing or any of the matial arts is the best choice for several reasons.

1. The discipline required teaches you to control your anger

2. It can not be taken away and used against you

3. You are not likely to accidentally injure an innocent bstander

4. It teaches you how to prevent a physical confrontation, before things reach that point

5. It is healthy and effective exercise
There are many good posts in this thread, but this sums up what I feel pretty well. I have taken karate and it is a fun experience. The best thing you gain (what would really help you in an altercation) is "muscle memory" so your muscles are ready to react, and physical fitness so you will attain minimal injury.

Besides these things, though, karate, hapkido, judo, kickboxing and the like are great for relieving stress due to the high amount of cardiovascular exercise they entail.

Weapons should be saved for people that know how to use them. I had a knife in my pocket when my uncle and I were robbed at gunpoint in our own backyard a few years ago. It stayed there. Two assailants came into the yard and, as a reflex, I tried to hit one with a cup I had picked up to take in the house. It was completely unexpected. I did not realize he had a gun. Both of them were pretty far away from me once I backed away from the armed one. They also seemed very young and nervous, so I began to scream at the top of my lungs ;D. It worked; they took my uncle's empty wallet and ran away. (We also found the wallet later)

Their motivation was money, though, and that tactic would have been completely useless had their motivation been to harm us.

Whatever you do, please be careful .

Supreme
12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
Boxing is a good martial art. However, criminal always carry weapons such as knife, stick or gun. So, I recommend karate for self defense.
I concur. I've had experience of both sports, but I always found that boxing was slightly superficial, and my trainer wasn't training me for a real fight or self defence, he was merely trying to train me up to fight another boxer in a sparring match.

aamirsaab
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
I concur. I've had experience of both sports, but I always found that boxing was slightly superficial, and my trainer wasn't training me for a real fight or self defence, he was merely trying to train me up to fight another boxer in a sparring match.
That's the thing with certain dojos/training places; they can't train you mentally or physicall for a proper street fight. In real life, you don't chose your opponent and there are no rules; it's not an organised match, it's more of a brawl.

OT: I wouldn't recommend carrying a knife tho. Here's why:

Several bad posibilites;

1) You successfully swipe your ''opponent''
A) He's wounded and will probably sue you for ABH.
B) He's mortally wounded, dies and you get charged (eventually) for manslaughter

2) Your opponent gets you with your own knife
A) You die
B) You get injured.

3) Your opponent kicks your ass before you get your knife out
A) Knife was a waste of time

4) You get searched before/after and arrested for carrying a knife.

Though, I do understand your friend's plight. Rough areas aren't exactly people friendly and by the sounds of it, your mate is in a very rough area. Martial arts such as TKD (for range) or Muai Thai (for sheer power) would be his best bet. Karate, nyeh - depends on your dojo. Mine was pretty sucky tbh, but then it was for kids, some 10 years ago. Tho one awesome thing I did learn was the axe kick (which can kill). Of course, we were immediately told that move was banned completely.

Blackpool
12-07-2009, 03:14 PM
These people do not attack alone. People attack in gangs and they regularly occur in gangs of at least 6

Fטлку
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gossamer skye
I do and I do.. I prefer the swiss army knife

but I also have

which is possibly your best bet...
:eek:
What happened to good ol' pepper spray? ^o)

ardianto
12-07-2009, 04:01 PM
These people do not attack alone. People attack in gangs and they regularly occur in gangs of at least 6
That is because they are afraid to fight one on one.
Carry an alarm with loudly sound. The alarm sound will call people to come, and that will make this gang afraid and leave you.

GuestFellow
12-07-2009, 04:27 PM
I never been in that situation. I would run and not look back. :skeleton:

Boxing doesn't really help against several people, good exercise though. Nor throwing cold water will help here either -_-;;;

Güven
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I carry a screwdriver, not for self defense though but for... school. :hmm:

I detest weapons.

The best thing you should remember whenever you are in this kinda situations is to never show any fear, no matter how many they are.

GuestFellow
12-07-2009, 06:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
You just gave me an idea. =)

Fishman
12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Carrying a knife or any other kind of weapon is a very bad idea in the UK, because we have completely silly laws regarding self-defense here. Even hitting somebody in self-defense unarmed can land you in prison. I don't support gun ownership or other Americanesque things like that, but can't we just be a bit more tolerant towards people who risk their own lives to save their dignity or the lives of others?

Supreme
12-07-2009, 06:52 PM
The best thing you should remember whenever you are in this kinda situations is to never show any fear, no matter how many they are.
I don't think this is very good advice. In situations like that, everyone will panic like hell, unless they've had brilliant training and/or is used to those kinds of situations. No one knows how they'll react if they have knife next to their face and risk loosing their sight and/or looks.

Güven
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think this is very good advice. In situations like that, everyone will panic like hell, unless they've had brilliant training and/or is used to those kinds of situations. No one knows how they'll react if they have knife next to their face and risk loosing their sight and/or looks.
Showing fear makes them more confident.

Not showing fear makes you have a better chance to get away.

GuestFellow
12-07-2009, 08:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Carrying a knife or any other kind of weapon is a very bad idea in the UK, because we have completely silly laws regarding self-defense here. Even hitting somebody in self-defense unarmed can land you in prison. I don't support gun ownership or other Americanesque things like that, but can't we just be a bit more tolerant towards people who risk their own lives to save their dignity or the lives of others?
Ah it depends. Sometimes people use unreasonable force. For example, A punches B twice. B pushes A on the ground. A cannot get back up and is hurt. Here it is considered reasonable force.

When B jumps on top of A's face, stamps his face several times, then that is considered unreasonable force considering A was in no position to harm you.

Though it does depend on the case itself.

Fishman
12-07-2009, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Guestfellow
Ah it depends. Sometimes people use unreasonable force. For example, A punches B twice. B pushes A on the ground. A cannot get back up and is hurt. Here it is considered reasonable force.

When B jumps on top of A's face, stamps his face several times, then that is considered unreasonable force considering A was in no position to harm you.

Though it does depend on the case itself.
The scario that happened to a friend of somebody I know was:
A and Co. jump on B's sister
B punches A and Co.
A is severely hurt

B is currently the one in trouble with the law, despite responding to the situation in an entirely reasonable and justifiable manner.

Supreme
12-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Showing fear makes them more confident.

Not showing fear makes you have a better chance to get away.
One has to wonder you can't show fear in those sorts of situations. It is impossible.

Muezzin
12-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Legally, it's not a very good idea to carry a knife, as Trumble has made clear earlier in the thread.

B punches A and Co.
A is severely hurt

B is currently the one in trouble with the law, despite responding to the situation in an entirely reasonable and justifiable manner.
From the facts you've shared, perhaps A is trying to (mis)use the 'Thin Skull Rule' to his or her advantage.

The Thin Skull Rule is, if A strikes B's head without intending to do him serious harm, but B nontheless suffers serious harm because of his abnormally thin skull, A is still culpable for any harm caused, even if A was unaware of B's abnormality at the time.

In real life, B does not necessarily need a literally thin skull - just something that makes him abnormally vulnerable. I don't know if this is the case with your friend. In the absence of detailed information, I'm simply speculating. So don't take this particular section of my post too seriously. I'm just thinking aloud. Or onscreen. You get the point.

Regardless, in your case, B's legal representation could reverse the situation if they do their jobs properly and persuasively argue that B was acting in self-defence and presumably did not intend to seriously harm A.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir
better to carry a sword or a gun brother...
If he wants to get arrested, yes.

Güven
12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
One has to wonder you can't show fear in those sorts of situations. It is impossible.
Well, I guess it kinda depends on the situation.

Woodrow
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
The best defense is to avoid being in a time or place you will need self defense. If that is unavoidable concentrate on a means of getting help if you think you are going to be going into an area where a confrontation is probable do not go alone, also let somebody else know you are going, plan an escape route in the event something happens, stay alert and aware of your surroundings, stay in well lighted areas, avoid walking past suspicious looking groups, cross the street or look for an alternate route. If none of this can be done, try to replan and reconsider even going into the area.

It is also best to take martial arts courses. The best self defense weapon you will ever have is your own brain and body.

Prepare yourself physically and mentally and after you have done all you can do trust in Allaah(swt) to make up for any lackings and always make du'a for a safe journey even if the journey is just going next door.

GuestFellow
12-07-2009, 10:40 PM
B punches A and Co.
A is severely hurt

Well this raises several questions.

What was B charged with? Which court was he sent off to? It could be either the Magistrates or Crown Court? (It will give me an idea of what offence he may have committed).

Did A jump on B's sister, B who happened to be with his sister, punched A to stop the fighting/confrontation? OR was A who jumped B's sister, then B's sister tells her brother, B gets angry, finds A and punches him.

As Muezzin stated the ''thin skull rule.'' In other words, take your victim as you find them. If A suffered from a condition, and by B punching A happened to trigger that condition that A suffered, B could be found guilty of causing harm to A.

Fishman
12-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Well this raises several questions.

What was B charged with? Which court was he sent off to? It could be either the Magistrates or Crown Court? (It will give me an idea of what offence he may have committed).
Don't know.

Did A jump on B's sister, B who happened to be with his sister, punched A to stop the fighting/confrontation? OR was A who jumped B's sister, then B's sister tells her brother, B gets angry, finds A and punches him.
The former. B's sister was attacked by stranger A in a public space whilst she was with B.

As Muezzin stated the ''thin skull rule.'' In other words, take your victim as you find them. If A suffered from a condition, and by B punching A happened to trigger that condition that A suffered, B could be found guilty of causing harm to A.
As far as I know there was no condition, B was just good at punching.

GuestFellow
12-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Don't know.

The former. B's sister was attacked by stranger A in a public space whilst she was with B.

As far as I know there was no condition, B was just good at punching.
Well was he found guilty? A fine or a prison sentence? It sounds like he committed an offence under the Non-fatal Offences Against The Person Act 1997.

Like Common Assault (Battery) or Assault Occasioning Actual Bodily Harm. Highly doubt it was Grevious Bodily Harm. :skeleton:

Did he punch him more than once? I'm assuming he did.

What injuries did B receive?

cat eyes
12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

I detest weapons.

:sl:;Dthats what my brother use to say when i was getting bullied i mean how is a nine year old not going to feel any fear:'(

Grofica
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
i dont recommend it... its not really a deterant as people who do that sort of thing dont really pay attention (usually) normally attackers look for the weakest person or who APPEARS the weakest... (example someone whos hands are too full or is really preoccupied with something) it is proven that if you walk like you have a purpose and pay attention to your surroundings you give off an aura of confidence and to people who attack other people that means you are not a weak link... think of a lion picking out a gazel from a heard... stronger gazel are too much trouble... its the same with humans.
most people who carry weapons even tazers and such often tend to become victoms of their own devise.

afzalaung
12-10-2009, 04:34 PM
speaking of hiding fears..i just thought of a good strategy...
pretend you're scared to death... fake cry and act like a total coward.
either get sympathy...or make them gain over-confidence...and when they approach, kick their groins and run like you've never ran before.

Grofica
12-10-2009, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by afzalaung
either get sympathy...or make them gain over-confidence...and when they approach, kick their groins and run like you've never ran before.
ha ha ha ha ha ha that might work! :-) sounds like a plan :-) he he he he

OurIslamic
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by afzalaung
I'm not trying to be silly here or anything, but a tested, effective strategy at warding off someone who may assault you is to carry feces with you (your choice who/what you take it from! Yes, this is me being silly. ;D).

But seriously, would you fight someone who throws feces? I wouldn't!

Grofica
12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by OurIslamic
I'm not trying to be silly here or anything, but a tested, effective strategy at warding off someone who may assault you is to carry feces with you (your choice who/what you take it from! Yes, this is me being silly. ;D).

But seriously, would you fight someone who throws feces? I wouldn't!
very true but then again IF you were carrying with you..... i dont think friends would hang around you either HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA;D

Blackpool
12-11-2009, 12:45 AM
The law is really messed up. I'm a true believer of "an eye for an eye." If someone attacks a person with no valid reason then that person should be the one sent to prison and beaten on a daily basis until he is released. There should be some sort of deterrent and pain is a great deterrent. That would go a long way in keeping the streets safe...

StayHumble
12-11-2009, 12:50 AM
"yh sure..."
I can't stop laughing;D

Grofica
12-11-2009, 12:55 AM
The law is really messed up. I'm a true believer of "an eye for an eye." If someone attacks a person with no valid reason then that person should be the one sent to prison and beaten on a daily basis until he is released. There should be some sort of deterrent and pain is a great deterrent. That would go a long way in keeping the streets safe...
i dont know about beating them everyday but i am a true believer of stricker punishment for criminals.... its crazy there are some countries that have a zillion people and like a 0% crime rate.

Blackpool
12-11-2009, 01:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
i dont know about beating them everyday but i am a true believer of stricker punishment for criminals.... its crazy there are some countries that have a zillion people and like a 0% crime rate.
Because those countries have deterrents. Our criminals are freed early. Our criminals are just given a slap on the wrist and if they do go to prison then they have the luxury of a ps3, xbox 360, a tv, a pool table etc. In fact, it's more luxurious in prison than it is in my own home! :hmm: I know exactly what I would do if I was in charge and it wouldn't be pretty.

Blackpool
12-11-2009, 01:03 AM

"yh sure..."

You don't have to detach it from your keyring. You flick the blade open and voila...

Perhaps not swiss, maybe a D2 knife..

Grofica
12-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Because those countries have deterrents. Our criminals are freed early. Our criminals are just given a slap on the wrist and if they do go to prison then they have the luxury of a ps3, xbox 360, a tv, a pool table etc. In fact, it's more luxurious in prison than it is in my own home! :hmm: I know exactly what I would do if I was in charge and it wouldn't be pretty.
dont forget there is some crazy law that states that inmates also get cable.... i didnt even have cable when when i was growing up!!!

Blackpool
12-11-2009, 01:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Grofica
dont forget there is some crazy law that states that inmates also get cable.... i didnt even have cable when when i was growing up!!!
It's all part of the Human Rights Act. This is why we're soft on criminals and that's why I HATE that Human Rights Act.

S_87
12-11-2009, 11:34 AM
What do you mean 'these days'?

There's always been a need for self defense, it isn't a new invention.
yes there has always been a need for self defense but not as bad/or random as now imo.

- IqRa -
12-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I think they should carry a swiss knife

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.